NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Renewable Research Commitment

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gantilgrim
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gantilgrim » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:59 pm

I have been informed, that my nation will be ignoring this policy, wheather it passes or not.

And no we are not resigning from WA in any case.
Last edited by Gantilgrim on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krevantas
Secretary

Founded: May 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Krevantas » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:39 pm

@Discoveria - If what you gained from being involved in the site alerts you to the fact that I may not be a good judge of you being egotistical; though the evidence supports my claim; then the same amount of what you gained should also have alerted you to the fact that I have a tendency to piss off whomever I please; according to certain sources.

What they fail to realize, though, is that I tend to reply in kind. I gave you and the others the replies worthy of their posts. Had they given something of substance, I would have replied with substance. I had argued against your actual argument in another post before that one, on HenryVonHoffman. Not directly, because a few others had made similar points. I addressed a lot of points, with my counterpoints, without naming who I was responding to.

I won't repeat myself, like you seem fond of doing.

I will add, however, that the bill will have an effect. You don't think it will because it doesn't speak to you, but there are thousand of people who will act on good faith and do something in line with what this bill intends. There will be those that disregard it and still those that make the very-most minimal effort, but that comes with the territory. This bill will make a very large difference very subtly and almost unnoticeably.
Last edited by Krevantas on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate Vinage
Envoy

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Delegate Vinage » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:44 am

Oh wonderful - it has passed with a large majority.

Thank you those who voted aye and, well, let's hope this doesn't destroy everybody's economy and turn us all into potato-sack wearing citizens :P #obvioussarcasticjoke
Vinage V. Grey-Anumia
World Assembly Delegate &
Former President of Europeia

"The Delegate Wipes What The Region Spills"
"Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force"

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:33 am

Flibbleites wrote:
Heistrein wrote:Hmmmm... I agree with the intentions of the proposal, but I am not a huge fan of the actual wording. However, since it is a very mild proposal that doesn't do much to nations against it, I will have to rank intention over the wording.
Heistrein shall vote in favor of this proposal, but if a future proposal wants to replace this with a proposal with stronger/better wording, we will vote to repeal this to make way for the new one.

It may be written to be mild, but with it submitted under Environmental, All Businesses, the effects will be anything but.

OOC: In OOC terms, yes, but there's no real reason why that should be the case IC too is there?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Discoveria
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:51 am

Krevantas wrote:@Discoveria - If what you gained from being involved in the site alerts you to the fact that I may not be a good judge of you being egotistical; though the evidence supports my claim; then the same amount of what you gained should also have alerted you to the fact that I have a tendency to piss off whomever I please; according to certain sources.

I see you've moved on from personal comments to baseless accusations. What evidence?

You can piss off whomever you like if you want, but really it is bad practice in a debate.

Krevantas wrote:What they fail to realize, though, is that I tend to reply in kind. I gave you and the others the replies worthy of their posts. Had they given something of substance, I would have replied with substance. I had argued against your actual argument in another post before that one, on HenryVonHoffman. Not directly, because a few others had made similar points. I addressed a lot of points, with my counterpoints, without naming who I was responding to.

Also bad practice. If you don't address people specifically how are we supposed to respond to your objections?

You cannot simply dismiss an argument on the basis that it "lacks substance". You need to show where it is invalid or unsound. You have not done this for the arguments I made in my first post in this debate.

Krevantas wrote:I won't repeat myself, like you seem fond of doing.

Baseless accusation. Please show where I have repeated myself.

Krevantas wrote:I will add, however, that the bill will have an effect. You don't think it will because it doesn't speak to you, but there are thousand of people who will act on good faith and do something in line with what this bill intends. There will be those that disregard it and still those that make the very-most minimal effort, but that comes with the territory. This bill will make a very large difference very subtly and almost unnoticeably.

We disagree, and I think my analysis of the likely (non)effect of this bill is more accurate than yours.

If you really want to continue then I can review the entire debate and show you exactly where your arguments fail to address mine - but I don't think either of us will benefit from this and the debate is over (for now) since the resolution passed.
"...to be the most effective form of human government."
Professor Simon Goldacre, former Administrator of the Utopia Foundation
WA Ambassador: Matthew Turing

The Utopian Commonwealth of Discoveria
Founder of LGBT University

A member of | The Stonewall Alliance | UN Old Guard
Nation | OOC description | IC Factbook | Timeline

Krevantas
Secretary

Founded: May 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Krevantas » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:08 pm

You're arguing this because you want to be right. You're not. You're egotistical and can not accept the fact that you're wrong. I can. In fact, I admit when I'm wrong a lot. Ask anyone that knows me on NS. The furthering of this conversation is pointless and only serves to inflate your ego further, as you argue why I'm wrong simply because I made a simple deduction of your arrogance and ego, which you continue to support with your actions.

You really should take the time to reflect on who you are as opposed to who you imagine yourself to be. As for me, this is the last thing I'm going to say in this thread.

Discoveria
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:08 pm

@Krevantas

I'm arguing because I think that I am right and you have so far failed to convince me that I am not. That is all. If you think that is the same thing as egotism, then you are deluded.

I have reflected on the outcome of this discussion, and concluded that I am right and you are wrong. It is that simple.

Best wishes :)

Discoveria
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:38 pm

@Krevantas - apologies but there is a little more to point out. It is possible that you wrote a post that never got posted because (on review of the argument) you claimed to have answered my post in one of your posts, but the post you claim to have made cannot be found. This is about clarifying a potential misunderstanding, not about debating you further.

Krevantas wrote:What they fail to realize, though, is that I tend to reply in kind. I gave you and the others the replies worthy of their posts. Had they given something of substance, I would have replied with substance. I had argued against your actual argument in another post before that one, on HenryVonHoffman. Not directly, because a few others had made similar points. I addressed a lot of points, with my counterpoints, without naming who I was responding to.

HenryVonHoffman's post here: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=164136&p=8470105#p8470105

You did not post anything until your first post in the thread here: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=164136&p=8489662#p8489662 It was in this post that you singled out specific people with your negative points ratings. At no point did you link your arguments with HenryVonHoffman's even though you both took similar positions on the resolution (i.e. that it allows nations to do as much or as little as they want, which you think is good).

Consequently it is possible that you did indeed respond to important objections including mine, but there is no evidence that you did since I cannot find the post you claim to have made.

PleaseStaySafeOP
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby PleaseStaySafeOP » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Our economy has become incredibly weak since this resolution passed and tax rates have skyrocketed. We will be ignoring the resolution and don't intend to leave the WA. Thank you.
Last edited by PleaseStaySafeOP on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aetrina
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aetrina » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:43 pm

PleaseStaySafeOP wrote:Our economy has become incredibly weak since this resolution passed and tax rates have skyrocketed. We will be ignoring the resolution and don't intend to leave the WA. Thank you.

Hmm...well technically you can't it's factored into your Nations "stats" I agree with you on principle and voted against this resolution. There is a discussion of a repeal that you might be interested in.
Eist wrote:Nice! Wait. Am I the knight or the unicorn?
I think the joke would be less effective if you were the unicorn.
Andrew Delling Ambassador of Aetrina
Proud member of The Kingdom Of Aetrina

PleaseStaySafeOP
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby PleaseStaySafeOP » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:44 pm

Aetrina wrote:
PleaseStaySafeOP wrote:Our economy has become incredibly weak since this resolution passed and tax rates have skyrocketed. We will be ignoring the resolution and don't intend to leave the WA. Thank you.

Hmm...well technically you can't it's factored into your Nations "stats" I agree with you on principle and voted against this resolution. There is a discussion of a repeal that you might be interested in.

Which might explain why my economy became "weak" after it was passed. I am in full support of the repeal. We are environmentally conscious but the language of the resolution was shady.
Last edited by PleaseStaySafeOP on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives