NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "World Assembly Copyright Charter"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:09 am

Right, so. Now that that line of inquiry has run its course, do we have any more suggestions? Or shall I go ahead and submit this?

-E. Rory Hywel
WA Ambassador for Embolalia
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:13 am

I, for one, would rather see submission delayed until there's a good replacement also ready to go.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:30 am

Sanctaria wrote:I'm not criticising your resolution. You yourself have said that fair use and fair dealings are, while similar, different concepts. You defined "fair use" in a certain way in your resolution, but you can't say that because "fair use" is this in one country in the real words, it must be this in the NS world.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, because it indeed must be that in NationStates. Fair use has one meaning. Nations in NS can go ahead and call something 'fair use,' but unless it matches what is in the United States, it is not actually fair use. It is only some other concept that borrows the term. It would be like me saying, "Well, just because murder is taking somebody's life in the real world, that doesn't mean it must be that in the NS world."

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:41 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:I'm not criticising your resolution. You yourself have said that fair use and fair dealings are, while similar, different concepts. You defined "fair use" in a certain way in your resolution, but you can't say that because "fair use" is this in one country in the real words, it must be this in the NS world.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, because it indeed must be that in NationStates. Fair use has one meaning. Nations in NS can go ahead and call something 'fair use,' but unless it matches what is in the United States, it is not actually fair use. It is only some other concept that borrows the term. It would be like me saying, "Well, just because murder is taking somebody's life in the real world, that doesn't mean it must be that in the NS world."

Contrary to what you believe, the US does not have dibs on the meanings of every word.

Fair use also exists in Poland. It's different to the US. So are you going to say the Polish fair use is wrong too?
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:46 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:

If fair use is precisely and only the one specific statute which is used in one specific real world country, and has absolutely no general meaning as a phrase, it would be a RL reference and illegal. It would be like referring to Tor, rather than the general idea of a distributed, multi-layer anonymization service. But the phrase "fair use" does have a generalizable meaning. It just means "to use in a fair way". So while it may be the case that only one RL nation uses the phrase "fair use" in its statue on what constitutes a fair use of a copyrighted work, that doesn't mean that fair use as a generalized concept is strictly and exclusively American. It certainly isn't the case that the only way to define a use which is fair as the specific American definition of fair use. Either way, it wouldn't be the first time the WA generalized a term or concept to better fit its own circumstance.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

The Solarian Isles
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Solarian Isles » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:26 am

Cleric Joran Kell leans back in his chair and sips his coffee. When the Radiant Council gave him the WA post to get him as far from Illirea as possible, he didn't expect it to be so entertaining. He passed a note to his aide to bring him some popcorn and settled in to watch the rest of the show.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:40 pm

Embolalia wrote:If fair use is precisely and only the one specific statute which is used in one specific real world country, and has absolutely no general meaning as a phrase, it would be a RL reference and illegal.

You clearly don't understand that rule, then. Citing the United States law that implemented fair use would be a real-world violation. The fact remains that fair use is a specific legal principle. Calling something else 'fair use' does not make it fair use.

Sanctaria wrote:Fair use also exists in Poland. It's different to the US. So are you going to say the Polish fair use is wrong too?

Yes. Poland does not have true fair use. It has a bastardized version of fair use, which is why it's referred to as "Polish fair use." I don't understand what's so difficult about this. You can't call something fair use unless it's actually fair use. If it's not the actual doctrine, then you need to qualify the term, because it's a completely separate doctrine from actual fair use.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Embolalia wrote:If fair use is precisely and only the one specific statute which is used in one specific real world country, and has absolutely no general meaning as a phrase, it would be a RL reference and illegal.

You clearly don't understand that rule, then. Citing the United States law that implemented fair use would be a real-world violation. The fact remains that fair use is a specific legal principle. Calling something else 'fair use' does not make it fair use.

Sanctaria wrote:Fair use also exists in Poland. It's different to the US. So are you going to say the Polish fair use is wrong too?

Yes. Poland does not have true fair use. It has a bastardized version of fair use, which is why it's referred to as "Polish fair use." I don't understand what's so difficult about this. You can't call something fair use unless it's actually fair use. If it's not the actual doctrine, then you need to qualify the term, because it's a completely separate doctrine from actual fair use.

No comment...

In any event, we support this resolution, if not for its intent, merely to spite Dr. Castro for his non-sensical perception of "fair use."

Yours,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:

So, essentially, Polish people aren't true Scotsmen?
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:38 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Yes. Poland does not have true fair use. It has a bastardized version of fair use, which is why it's referred to as "Polish fair use." I don't understand what's so difficult about this. You can't call something fair use unless it's actually fair use. If it's not the actual doctrine, then you need to qualify the term, because it's a completely separate doctrine from actual fair use.

No, I referred to it as "Polish fair use"; it's actually just called "fair use". I don't think you've noticed, but it is you who is being difficult. I don't understand why you're failing to see that the same words can have different meanings depending on where you are.

For example, in Ireland when one says it is "mild" out, it means it's quite warm, and it's generally quite good. However, travel to the Mediterranean, and when you refer to the weather as "mild", it means it's not that warm, and there's a good chance the weather will deteriorate.

Just because the US has "x" doctrine, it doesn't mean it is the definitive doctrine.

IC

Ambassador, you have our support in this endeavour.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Sanctaria wrote:No, I referred to it as "Polish fair use"; it's actually just called "fair use".

No, I'm pretty sure it's distinguished as "Polish fair use," considering it's not reflective of the actual fair use doctrine. Maybe in Poland it's just called "fair use." But in an international context, calling it simply "fair use" is mistaken. That leads one to believe that it's the actual fair use doctrine as originated in the United States.

Sanctaria wrote:Just because the US has "x" doctrine, it doesn't mean it is the definitive doctrine.

And this is where you're not being reasonable. The United States invented fair use. It is the original fair use. When you say 'fair use,' you're talking about the doctrine that exists in the United States. Poland has its own version, yes, but you can't call it fair use, because it's not the equivalent of the actual fair use doctrine. Full stop. That's it. Seriously, go to your library and pull out a book on fair use. It will describe a bunch of United States legal precedents. It's quite simple, and I'm not going to continue to argue this.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AMERKA
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

your proposal is good

Postby AMERKA » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:42 pm

i support this wholeheartedly and would approve it if it were ever to be proposed

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:10 pm

Do we have any more comments before I submit this?
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:09 pm

I demand a clause providing free alcoholic beverages to me.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:22 pm

Linux and the X wrote:I demand a clause providing free alcoholic beverages to me.

I'm afraid it would be illegal to include that requirement in a repeal. You'll have to get that into the replacement.

-E. Rory Hywel
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:20 pm

Embolalia wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:I demand a clause providing free alcoholic beverages to me.

I'm afraid it would be illegal to include that requirement in a repeal. You'll have to get that into the replacement.

-E. Rory Hywel

Illegal? ILLEGAL!? WHEN DID YOU JOIN THE FASCISTS, HYWEL?
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:43 pm

If there's no further comment, I plan to submit this around noon tomorrow, EST. (about 13.5 hours from now)
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog

James Bluntus
Envoy

Founded: Dec 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby James Bluntus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:28 pm

I thank the member nation for bringing this to the General Assembly Chamber and support his initiative in doing so. As I am a delegate of Tricell INC which is predominately an industrial region, I would have to consider very carefully whether this would gain my nation's, and region's support. However, I do express my initial support for the proposal.
The Singing Nation of James Bluntus lives to fight alongside good and fight against evil.

Saeran Sulsae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saeran Sulsae » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:31 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:(snip)

OOC: Please stop talking.

-----------------------

IC: The Saeraen Queendom fully supports this resolution, and will gladly vote for it if and/or when it reaches the assembly floor.

Mäl. Celerea Lozhqi,
Queen of Free Lands,
Saeran Sulsae

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:50 am

Blerg. I forgot to apply for WA membership with the nation I'm going to submit with. This should be submitted within the next 24 hours.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Saeran Sulsae wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:(snip)
OOC: Please stop talking.

[OOC] Your IC personality may have the right to request that another ambassador be less verbose, but your OOC <player> voice has no right whatsoever to tell another player to STFU, no matter how politely you phrase it. Don't do it again.

Frisbeeteria, Game Moderator

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Got my application approval very quickly, so it has been submitted!
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:16 pm

OOC: As soon as you submitted this, I got a TG from the World Assembly about it. This is a great and terrible feature. :P

Embolalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:OOC: As soon as you submitted this, I got a TG from the World Assembly about it. This is a great and terrible feature. :P

OOC: God, the TG spam Flib must get from NAPA...
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Embolalia wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:OOC: As soon as you submitted this, I got a TG from the World Assembly about it. This is a great and terrible feature. :P

OOC: God, the TG spam Flib must get from NAPA...

OOC: There was one day I woke up and has 14 TGs regarding Disability Welfare Act repeals. So annoying. There should be an opt-out.

Ideological Bulwark #258

Author of:
GA#590 (Co)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives