NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Medical Provisions in Blockades

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:54 pm

Still a bit clumsy; how's this:

CHARGES the World Health Authority and national health organizations to with ensuring that medical supplies shipped during blockades are used for non-military, medical reasons purposes, and that professional medical personnel shipped under these terms are not assigned to military positions.

CHARGES the World Health Authority and national health organizations with ensuring that medical supplies shipped during blockades are used for non-military, medical purposes, and that professional medical personnel shipped under these terms are not assigned to military positions.

Yours,
Last edited by Connopolis on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Lichtenburg
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lichtenburg » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:04 pm

His Majesty's Government wholeheartedly supports this measure. Thank you for your considerations.
Sir Phineas T. Ramsbottom, KCOL, LOM
Minister of State
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
The United Kingdom of Lichtenburg

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Connopolis wrote:Still a bit clumsy; how's this:

CHARGES the World Health Authority and national health organizations to with ensuring that medical supplies shipped during blockades are used for non-military, medical reasons purposes, and that professional medical personnel shipped under these terms are not assigned to military positions.

CHARGES the World Health Authority and national health organizations with ensuring that medical supplies shipped during blockades are used for non-military, medical purposes, and that professional medical personnel shipped under these terms are not assigned to military positions.

Yours,

Expect that in the next edit. And any more edits like that, Dr Forshaw, and you can expect a co-authorship.

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

Drenada
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drenada » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 am

I 100% support this resolution.

Damanucus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:00 pm

The repeal associated with this replacement has just reached quorum. We now have three days to get this replacement spick ready for proposal.

Stephanie Orman

New Illuve
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Illuve » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:10 pm

ALLOWS member states, in the event of transport from a blockaded nation carrying medical supplies and/or professional medical personnel intended for the nation, to obtain these in a manner they see fit.

You might want to re-phrase this. This would allow getting medical supplies by raiding, theft, deception, fraud,.... It would become an interesting legal question if a nation were to reference this resolution (assuming it passes) as giving legal justification for some bad things....
Submitted by my hand, at the order of the the most holy Avatar of the god Illuve,
Ms. Aldis Gunnlæif
Ambassador from the Holy Empire of New Illuve to the World Assembly

Aesir and Asynjur, Vanr and Vanir: grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Damanucus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:15 pm

New Illuve wrote:
ALLOWS member states, in the event of transport from a blockaded nation carrying medical supplies and/or professional medical personnel intended for the nation, to obtain these in a manner they see fit.

You might want to re-phrase this. This would allow getting medical supplies by raiding, theft, deception, fraud,.... It would become an interesting legal question if a nation were to reference this resolution (assuming it passes) as giving legal justification for some bad things....

Yes, true. While piracy has been outlawed, that doesn't stop them from using other illegal methods. How can I make this sound like nations have to use legal methods?

Stephanie Orman

New Illuve
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Illuve » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm not sure you really need to. If this proposal just exempts medical supplies and persons from blockades, then it follows that everyone would have to follow the normal channels to get them. (That being said - if banks have been isolated and payment traffic is restricted, you've got a different, but related issue going on...)

You might also want to consider talking about "genuine and generally recognized" medical stuff. And "primarily medical personnel" (or something like that) as well. Or you might get people claiming cluster bombs are used as scalpels in their nation, or that that ship of marines just out of first-aid class are doctors....
Submitted by my hand, at the order of the the most holy Avatar of the god Illuve,
Ms. Aldis Gunnlæif

Aesir and Asynjur, Vanr and Vanir: grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Damanucus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:34 pm

New Illuve wrote:I'm not sure you really need to. If this proposal just exempts medical supplies and persons from blockades, then it follows that everyone would have to follow the normal channels to get them. (That being said - if banks have been isolated and payment traffic is restricted, you've got a different, but related issue going on...)

You might also want to consider talking about "genuine and generally recognized" medical stuff. And "primarily medical personnel" (or something like that) as well. Or you might get people claiming cluster bombs are used as scalpels in their nation, or that that ship of marines just out of first-aid class are doctors....

Sadly, I do need to place in there something that respects blockade law, but at the same time gets necessary medical supplies into nations, otherwise we end up duplicating the original resolution (and thus negating the effect of a replacement and the repeal).

The "genuine and generally recognized" part, as per your debate, can also be somewhat manipulated in the same way you stated there. While it'd probably help, I had deliberately chosen the definitions I listed because it would prevent as much as possible any other item or personnel coming in.

Stephanie Orman

New Illuve
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby New Illuve » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:50 pm

My concern is "dual use" stuff. The definition you use for medical personnel, for example, allows for anyone with a simple first-aid certificate that has putting a bandage on a paper cut as part of the job description to qualify - even if he's been highly trained as a spec-ops sharpshooter (the key word here is "qualified" - what counts as "qualified"?). So a blockaded nation would be allowed to bring in shiploads of mercenaries using that. What you want is to make sure that the primary (only would be best but that's unrealistic) purpose of what is brought is truly is for medical purposes, and not as a secondary or tertiary purpose but with a warfare related primary purpose. (Real life example - the embargoes of Iran where dual purpose items that can be used for nuclear bomb making purposes are imported legally under the claim they're used for a different purpose that has an exemption to the embargo...) Nitroglycerin, for example, has legitimate medical purposes, but is also used to blow things up.... Radioactive isotopes, as well, can be used in dirty nuclear bombs....
Ms. Aldis Gunnlæif

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Red - Additions
Green - Ambiguous (please clarify)
Strike - Removals

Medical Provisions in Blockades
Category: Free Trade
Strength: Significant

The World General Assembly,

UNDERSTANDING that, in the course of international politics and trade, nations may at times place blockades on other nations,

CONCERNED, HOWEVER, HESITANTLY ACKNOWLEDGING that this unregulated practice may serve as a detriment to those living within the embargoed nation, insofar as member-states may not be able to effectively provide quality healthcare for their citizens.restriction of international trade may result in [Strike]some certain medical supplies - some of which may be life-saving - being unable to enter blockaded nations,

ASSERTING that sapient life should be considered a higher priority than international politics,

The World Assembly therefore;

DEFINES, for the purposes of this resolution:

• "Medical supplies" as any item or collection of items that are used in the delivery of medical advice and/or analysis and as well as the maintenance of individual general health, including, but not restricted limited to : medications, medicinal clothing apparel, surgical equipment, medical examination devices, and medical reference;
  • "Professional medical personnel" as any qualified individual ( or group thereof) of individuals who delivers qualified medical advice, assistance and/or examination as a part of their job.

PROHIBITS the blocking of medical supplies and professional medical personnel from blockaded nations any vessel that is conveying medical supplies and/or professional medical personnel; furthermore, vessels that are attempting to convey any product besides the aforementioned are not covered under the provisions of this resolution.

STRONGLY RECOMMENDS that member-nations, in the occasion instance of being blockaded, transport medical supplies separately to any from other trade items.

The General Assembly,

UNDERSTANDING that, in the course of international politics and trade, nations may at times place blockades on other nations,

HESITANTLY ACKNOWLEDGING that this unregulated practice may serve as a detriment to those living within an embargoed nation, insofar as member-states may not be able to effectively provide quality healthcare for their citizens.restriction of international trade may result in

ASSERTING that sapient life should be considered a higher priority than international politics,

• "Medical supplies" as any item or collection of items that are used in the delivery of medical advice and/or analysis, as well as the maintenance of general health, inclusive of, but not limited to : medications, medicinal clothing, apparel, surgical equipment, medical examination devices, and medical reference;
  • "Professional medical personnel" as any qualified individual (or group thereof) that delivers medical advice, assistance and/or examination as a part of their job.

PROHIBITS the blocking of any vessel that is conveying medical supplies and/or professional medical personnel; furthermore, vessels that are attempting to convey any product besides the aforementioned are not covered under the provisions of this resolution.

STRONGLY RECOMMENDS that member-nations, in the instance of being blockaded, transport medical supplies separately from other commodoties

Code: Select all
The General Assembly,

HESITANTLY ACKNOWLEDGING that this unregulated practice may serve as a detriment to those living within an embargoed nation, insofar as member-states may not be able to effectively provide quality healthcare for their citizens.restriction of international trade may result in

[list][*]"Medical supplies" as any item or collection of items that are used in the delivery of medical advice and/or analysis, as well as the maintenance of general health, inclusive of, but not limited to : medications, medicinal clothing, apparel, surgical equipment, medical examination devices, and medical reference;
[*]"Professional medical personnel" as any qualified individual (or group thereof) that delivers medical advice, assistance and/or examination as a part of their job.[/list]

PROHIBITS the blocking of any vessel that is conveying medical supplies and/or professional medical personnel; furthermore, vessels that are attempting to convey any product besides the aforementioned are not covered under the provisions of this resolution.

STRONGLY RECOMMENDS that member-nations, in the instance of being blockaded, transport medical supplies separately from other commodoties

Yours in getting the boulder to the top of the hill,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Damanucus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Thank you, Dr Forshaw. Obviously, I was a little narrow-minded when I examined all previous comments.

I'll just add a couple of tiny things to the new draft:

• "Medical supplies" as any item or collection of items that are used primarily in the delivery of medical advice and/or analysis, as well as the maintenance of general health, inclusive of, but not limited to : medications, medicinal clothing, apparel, surgical equipment, medical examination devices, and medical reference;
  • "Professional medical personnel" as any qualified individual (or group thereof) that delivers medical advice, assistance and/or examination as a primary part of their job.

I'll add these in, in response to the ambiguity given by the delegate of New Illuve.

ALLOWS member states, in the event of transport from a blockaded nation carrying medical supplies and/or professional medical personnel intended for the nation, to obtain these aforementioned items within existing national and international guidelines.

Is that a little bit better, or still too ambiguous?

And finally, for the end,

Co-authored by Connopolis

Because goodness knows how much effort you put into this (for all of which I am deeply thankful).

Stephanie Orman
Last edited by Damanucus on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:01 pm

Damanucus wrote:The repeal associated with this replacement has just reached quorum. We now have three days to get this replacement spick ready for proposal.

Stephanie Orman

First off, proposals are at vote for four days, not three. Secondly, surely it's better to take our time and make sure that we get this right this time than to rush this to vote and end up having to repeal and replace it again.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Damanucus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:09 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Damanucus wrote:The repeal associated with this replacement has just reached quorum. We now have three days to get this replacement spick ready for proposal.

Stephanie Orman

First off, proposals are at vote for four days, not three. Secondly, surely it's better to take our time and make sure that we get this right this time than to rush this to vote and end up having to repeal and replace it again.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Good point. I suppose I just want to see this replaced with something more substantial and less prone to abuse; my error for sacrificing quality for speed.

Stephanie Orman

Damanucus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Resolution Checklist

Resolution: Medical Provisions in Blockades

Items to address:
  • Allowance of transport containing medical supplies: COVERED, along with recommendation that medical supplies be shipped separate to all other provisions.
  • Prevent other supplies from entering during blockades: COVERED courtesy of Dr Forshaw.
  • Separation of medical supplies and personnel on occasion where it is shipped with other supplies: ...OH!

Need to cover that properly. The ambiguous statement that was noted before*, I'm actually going to scratch, because it was included for the occasion that medical supplies came in on ships where supplies couldn't be separated. So, I think, after the recommendation, I should put this:

MANDATES that nations, on the occasion where medical supplies and/or professional medical personnel are transported alongside other items during a blockade, to arrange the collection and transport into national borders of said medical supplies and/or professional medical personnel, at an agreed point outside of the nation's borders.

How does that sound to everyone?

Stephanie Orman

* The statement in question is as follows:

Scandavian States
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Scandavian States » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:20 am

The Empire is curious why it should vote for this resolution when no provision is made for allowing the blockading party to ascertain for itself that non-medical supplies and personnel are not being shipped into a blockaded nation. Further, how do the authors propose that the World Health Authority accomplish its task? Surely the authors don't propose that the blockading ships be forced to provide space and provisions for World Assembly personnel?

Yours In The Pursuit Of Knowledge,
Ambassador Samurakami Daichi

Frenequesta
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 22, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Frenequesta » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:56 am

Lionel Ersthauer, comfortable that the repeal was going to pass handily, decided to step in for the discussion.

"I'd like to know why only medical supplies and personnel are given such protections in a resolution such as this. Wouldn't the same arguments for allowing medical items through be equally as compelling for things such as food and water? If so, why are they not covered?" he asked Representative Orman. "The sentiment is fine, but I'd rather resolutions, when they expound the principles on which they rest, do so as narrowly as possible, or expand the coverage to match the premises, so to speak."

Scandavian States wrote:The Empire is curious why it should vote for this resolution when no provision is made for allowing the blockading party to ascertain for itself that non-medical supplies and personnel are not being shipped into a blockaded nation. Further, how do the authors propose that the World Health Authority accomplish its task? Surely the authors don't propose that the blockading ships be forced to provide space and provisions for World Assembly personnel?

Yours In The Pursuit Of Knowledge,
Ambassador Samurakami Daichi

"I don't understand your first concern. Anything not restricted or regulated by a WA resolution is fair game. Your second concern might have merit, though. I was originally going to say that the MANDATES clause has the operable position, but then I realized that it only applies when medical supplies are 'transported alongside other items'." He then turned to Orman again. "Did you intend the MANDATE clause to apply only to cases where the third-party importing nations cannot separate medical supplies from other supplies? If so I'd recommend changing it to cover any shipment of medical supplies, whether as part of a larger shipment or not."
Last edited by Frenequesta on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I’m mostly here for... something to do, I suppose.

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:25 am

The resolution also needs a definition of 'vessel' (perhaps change this to 'vehicle'?) as well to make it clear that it applies not merely to seaborne ships, but also to aircraft, cars, trucks, trains, starships (if you're FT), packhorses and any other method of transport by which you could get medical supplies into a country. Otherwise you could make a convincing argument that medical supplies can still be subject to a blockade as long as they're not coming in over sea.

Perhaps insert:

• "Vessel" [or "vehicle" if you change it] as any means by which goods may be transported, including but not limited to ships, aircraft, automobiles, trains, beasts of burden or human couriers.
Last edited by Ularn on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Damanucus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Scandavian States wrote:The Empire is curious why it should vote for this resolution when no provision is made for allowing the blockading party to ascertain for itself that non-medical supplies and personnel are not being shipped into a blockaded nation.

Good point, completely forgot about that. Mind if I have a think on it and get back to you?

Scandavian States wrote:Further, how do the authors propose that the World Health Authority accomplish its task? Surely the authors don't propose that the blockading ships be forced to provide space and provisions for World Assembly personnel?

Hmm, the assumption there was that WHA members would actually make their own way.

Frenequesta wrote:"I'd like to know why only medical supplies and personnel are given such protections in a resolution such as this. Wouldn't the same arguments for allowing medical items through be equally as compelling for things such as food and water?

This was intended solely as a replacement for "Medical Blockade Restriction". If you would appreciate it, I can just as easily write up a "Basic Provisions in Blockades" act as well.

Frenequesta wrote:"Did you intend the MANDATE clause to apply only to cases where the third-party importing nations cannot separate medical supplies from other supplies?

It is, yes. The clause in question is actually coupled with the recommendation above it, where it recommends on keeping the medical shipment separate as much as possible. That clause (the MANDATES clause) comes about from the question, "What happens if they can't separate the shipments?" (emphasis where appropriate).

Ularn wrote:The resolution also needs a definition of 'vessel' (perhaps change this to 'vehicle'?) as well to make it clear that it applies not merely to seaborne ships, but also to aircraft, cars, trucks, trains, starships (if you're FT), packhorses and any other method of transport by which you could get medical supplies into a country.

The past drafts used the term "transport", as I knew that supplies wouldn't just be arriving by sea. I think it became "vessel" after Dr Forshaw expanded on it a little. I could easily change it to that, if you so desire.

Stephanie Orman
Last edited by Damanucus on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:51 pm

Damanucus wrote:
Ularn wrote:The resolution also needs a definition of 'vessel' (perhaps change this to 'vehicle'?) as well to make it clear that it applies not merely to seaborne ships, but also to aircraft, cars, trucks, trains, starships (if you're FT), packhorses and any other method of transport by which you could get medical supplies into a country.

The past drafts used the term "transport", as I knew that supplies wouldn't just be arriving by sea. I think it became "vessel" after Dr Forshaw expanded on it a little. I could easily change it to that, if you so desire.

"Changing it to 'transport' could work as well, though I'd still include a definition because I'm just a stickler for well-explained legislation without conceivable loopholes. Too much clarity is generally better than too little,"

Ambassador Zhed Foxtrot
Envoy to the World Assembly
Ularn Interstellar Federation
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Gantilgrim
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gantilgrim » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Give up this replacement policy it should and will fail, this repeal is going through not because there was a loop hole but because the policy works against blockade making blockades take longer overall, causing more deaths.

Damanucus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Gantilgrim wrote:Give up this replacement policy it should and will fail, this repeal is going through not because there was a loop hole but because the policy works against blockade making blockades take longer overall, causing more deaths.

Hmmm, let me consider your proposal....no. If you wish to see it fail, vote against it when it makes the floor.

Stephanie Orman

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Gantilgrim wrote:Give up this replacement policy it should and will fail, this repeal is going through not because there was a loop hole but because the policy works against blockade making blockades take longer overall, causing more deaths.

"Most delegates I've seen contributing to the discussion on the repeal have been expressing a desire to see a better drafted resolution take the place of the one being repealed. I'm siding with them on this and if you disagree then I'm happy for us to settle it at the ballot box."

Ambassador Zhed Foxtrot
Envoy to the World Assembly
Ularn Interstellar Federation
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Trecdom2
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 04, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Trecdom2 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:46 pm

Many nations have professional medical personnel among the ranks of their military. If I understand this resolution correctly, they would be unable to get through the blockade.

This would mean the Trecdom Starfleet Medical ships would have to stay outside of the blockade. Instead we would have to find a way to convince civilian medics to run the blockade and provide support.

That is not a task we look forward to.
"Just before they went into warp, I beamed the whole kit and kaboodle into their engine room, where they'll be no tribble at all."
Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott.

Scandavian States
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Scandavian States » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Damanucus wrote:Good point, completely forgot about that. Mind if I have a think on it and get back to you?

Of course. Our concern is that the issue be addressed. Too often resolutions assume the infallibility of World Assembly staff.

Hmm, the assumption there was that WHA members would actually make their own way.

Stephanie Orman

Without intending to deride your knowledge of naval operations, if you mean what we think you do then that won't work. There's nothing stopping a blockade runner from putting a WHA flag; if nothing else it increases the chance that the operational commander won't fire on the ship and it also increases the chance later on that the commander will, even if the ship is legitimate. It is even more difficult to run inspection operations from shore. The third option is to require member nations blockading another member nation to host WHA inspectors, but that presents its own problems because none but the most stupid commanders will trust in the benevolence and neutrality of a third party. Also, while we realize that this is a special case and you can't do anything about it, Imperial Navy ships tend to carry nuclear weapons on board while on patrol and most assuredly do during combat operations. That's another can of worms that makes the third party hosting issue even worse.

Our suggestion is to just trust in the basic honor of the member nations and let the blockading nations have the ability to negotiate with the blockaded party for critical medical services and supplies. After all, capital ships do have fully operational hospitals as part of their accommodations and enough medical supplies to last them an entire combat tour and then some.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives