NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] International Expositions of Culture

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lowell Leber
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:27 am

Knootoss wrote:We don't need the World Assembly to run a travelling circus. We have one right here, in this assembly hall. If the Bears Armed delegation is really going to call me a liar by citing the potential for ticket-sales, I suggest that they look up the word "ameliorate" in a dictionary. These things cost money. Questioning whether organising and building things costs money just shows that the Bears Armed delegation has warmly embraced Unibotonomics.

(Image)
Ambassador Aram Koopman
World Assembly representative for the Dutch Democratic Republic of Knootoss

Normally I agree with Mr. Koopman concerning the spending of other people's money by the WA, but this time I believe my friend that you are digging your heels in too hard. A nation could see fit to construct as simple or extravagent of a pavillion or display as it saw fit, or could afford. For prosporous nations such as ours, this would be an excellent oppourtunity to show the world the rewards of capitalistic economics and free trade. I mean after all, we can afford it can we not?
-Ms. Abigail McGuire, High Commissoner for WA Affairs.
Last edited by Lowell Leber on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IC The Leberite Empire

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:28 am

"Oh, fleas and fur-loss, how many more times? The word used being "Invites" means that participation by your nation would be purely voluntary, hrright? So, in that case, don't particpate in the expositions and then you won't have to spend anything at all -- let alone "billions" -- on the idea. Is that hrreally too complex for you to understand?
"Too much Pink Bunny Cola, maybeso, ambassador?"

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astro-Malsitari WA Seat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:58 pm

I'd just like to let it be known that the tentative submission date for this is going to be November 5th, as that is the earliest I have a weekend where I'll be free to campaign for this.
Representing the interests of Malsitar and Astrolinium in the World Assembly
| The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium | Ambassador to the WA: Dr. Giovanni Romero, PhD | Chief Justice and Vice Magister of The South |
| The Unified Federal Republics of Malsitar | Ambassador to the WA: Dr. Chandler Whitt, LLD | Citizen of Spiritus |
And of course, Giovanni's illegitimate child and everyone's favorite pervy teen, Melvin Ruiz Walsh-Romero!

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:28 pm

Bears Armed wrote:

Hear hear!

We support this proposal, with modifications suggested by Connopolis.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Astro-Malsitari WA Seat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:

Hear hear!

We support this proposal, with modifications suggested by Connopolis.

Jeez, I didn't even see the stuff he added.
Anyway, the draft has been updated.
Last edited by Astro-Malsitari WA Seat on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
| The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium | Ambassador to the WA: Dr. Giovanni Romero, PhD | Chief Justice and Vice Magister of The South |
| The Unified Federal Republics of Malsitar | Ambassador to the WA: Dr. Chandler Whitt, LLD | Citizen of Spiritus |
And of course, Giovanni's illegitimate child and everyone's favorite pervy teen, Melvin Ruiz Walsh-Romero!

Dizyntk
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:31 pm

"I have a question, Ambassador Romero. Well actually I have two. One, how are we deciding who gets the exposition? Two, if by some weird happenstance Dizyn gets it are we going to have to offer rides to get there?"
Dizyntk WA Ambassador Princess Feyalisa Zerleen Profile
What is a Dizyntk you ask? Dizyntk Info
Cyanka is the Dizyntk year and is equal to 18 earth months. Do your own math.

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Astro-Malsitari WA Seat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Dizyntk wrote:"I have a question, Ambassador Romero. Well actually I have two. One, how are we deciding who gets the exposition? Two, if by some weird happenstance Dizyn gets it are we going to have to offer rides to get there?"

Well, the first question is easily answered: using their infallible methods and immeasurable wisdom, the gnomes that will staff the IEA will pick a city which can truly rise to the occasion and shine as a beacon of light and hope for the world. In other words, they will very likely pick one at random, possibly by throwing darts at a map. As for the second question, that would be up to the Grand Imperium. But, since the resolution doesn't say anything about it, you don't have to offer rides.

Dizyntk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:24 pm

"Come to think of it, my regular job is the Trade and Tourism minister. We can sell rides to Dizyn. I would think that a lot of people would be willing to pay to get into space. Space, heck, to a different planet. Shouldn't be overly expensive I wouldn't think. Gotta go check with the Dizyntk passenger ship companies about what it would cost to go from here to Dizyn and back."

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Astro-Malsitari WA Seat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Dizyntk wrote:"Come to think of it, my regular job is the Trade and Tourism minister. We can sell rides to Dizyn. I would think that a lot of people would be willing to pay to get into space. Space, heck, to a different planet. Shouldn't be overly expensive I wouldn't think. Gotta go check with the Dizyntk passenger ship companies about what it would cost to go from here to Dizyn and back."

See, now that's an excellent idea! Not looking like such a black hole for cash now, is it, Dr. Koopman?

Soviet Canuckistan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Canuckistan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:33 pm

I like this proposal and if it becomes a proposal in front of the GA I will vote yes
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:11 am

Is there any more discussion that needs to be done with this? When can we expect it to be proposed?

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:59 am

FURTHER NOTES that member-states may not omit certain ideologies, cultures, or beliefs from these conventions, nor may they expel nations or individuals due solely to their ideologies, cultures, or beliefs,

While we support freedom of expression, Nazism and a certain cult is banned on public safety grounds in Minoa or Charlotte Ryberg - Full stop. Therefore this clause needs to be revised to allow exemption against beliefs or regimes which may pose a threat to public order or national security.

Also, the WA is not a travelling circus, and should be left to independent organizations.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dizyntk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:31 am

"While I can agree with Ambassador Harper that the WA is not travelling, I would point out that it very often seems to be a circus."

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:47 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
FURTHER NOTES that member-states may not omit certain ideologies, cultures, or beliefs from these conventions, nor may they expel nations or individuals due solely to their ideologies, cultures, or beliefs,

While we support freedom of expression, Nazism and a certain cult is banned on public safety grounds in Minoa or Charlotte Ryberg - Full stop. Therefore this clause needs to be revised to allow exemption against beliefs or regimes which may pose a threat to public order or national security.

Also, the WA is not a travelling circus, and should be left to independent organizations.

This resolution merely sponsors the exposition; like the olympics. The Olympic Committee does not manage the event, they simply organize it. Individual nations are given the option to host the exposition - the WA will not do it for them.

Also, Ms. Harper, how is this?

FURTHER NOTES that member-states may not omit certain ideologies, cultures, or beliefs from these conventions, nor may they expel nations or individuals due solely to their ideologies, cultures, or beliefs unless the beliefs in question are discriminatory, racist, grotesquely offensive to those who do not practice the beliefs, or physically dangerous.
Last edited by Connopolis on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Thee Sangheili
Envoy

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thee Sangheili » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:52 am

This is a magnificent idea.

You have our support.
"WORT, WORT, WORT!

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:40 am

Connopolis wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:While we support freedom of expression, Nazism and a certain cult is banned on public safety grounds in Minoa or Charlotte Ryberg - Full stop. Therefore this clause needs to be revised to allow exemption against beliefs or regimes which may pose a threat to public order or national security.

This resolution merely sponsors the exposition; like the olympics. The Olympic Committee does not manage the event, they simply organize it. Individual nations are given the option to host the exposition - the WA will not do it for them.

FURTHER NOTES that member-states may not omit certain ideologies, cultures, or beliefs from these conventions, nor may they expel nations or individuals due solely to their ideologies, cultures, or beliefs unless the beliefs in question are discriminatory, racist, grotesquely offensive to those who do not practice the beliefs, or physically dangerous.

What about:
CLARIFIES that individual participation in an IEC Convention does not by itself grant immunity from host country laws;

EMPHASISES that the host nations retain the right to:
a) Exclude certain nations with which they are at war or have economic sanctions;
c) Impose individual standards which respect the purposes and means of this resolution;

MANDATES that host nations may only exclude ideologies, cultures, or beliefs from the conventions, where it is necessary for: national security, political stability or public safety; the protection of health or morals; or the protection of the dignity or rights of others.

Nazism and that cult would easily lose its immunity from the last clause under "political stability, public safety and protection of the dignity or rights of others".

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:47 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Connopolis wrote:

What about:
CLARIFIES that individual participation in an IEC Convention does not by itself grant immunity from host country laws;

a) Exclude certain nations with which they are at war or have economic sanctions;
c) Impose individual standards which respect the purposes and means of this resolution;

MANDATES that host nations may only exclude ideologies, cultures, or beliefs from the conventions, where it is necessary for: national security, political stability or public safety; the protection of health or morals; or the protection of the dignity or rights of others.

Nazism and that cult would easily lose its immunity from the last clause under "political stability, public safety and protection of the dignity or rights of others".

And under the 'political stability' exclusion so could many other ideologies... :(
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:10 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:

What about:

And under the 'political stability' exclusion so could many other ideologies... :(

I recognise that it is is a challenge because of what countries may have gone though, such as Nazi occupation or repressive regimes. I don't want it to put off such countries from taking part.

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Astro-Malsitari WA Seat » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:08 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:Is there any more discussion that needs to be done with this? When can we expect it to be proposed?

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat wrote:I'd just like to let it be known that the tentative submission date for this is going to be November 5th, as that is the earliest I have a weekend where I'll be free to campaign for this.

Also, the draft has been updated.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:14 am

REMEMBERING its goal of "[i]mproving the world one resolution at a time",

Why the "[]"?

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Astro-Malsitari WA Seat » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
REMEMBERING its goal of "[i]mproving the world one resolution at a time",

Why the "[]"?

From "Ask the English Teacher" blog:

Tim asks:
Would you please explain the use of brackets at the start of the following quotation?

"[T]he former vice president's accusations of criminal behavior against [President] Bush threaten serious damage. It's a pattern of speech that is becoming increasingly prevalent in the Democrat party, potentially destructive to the morale of our Armed Forces and inherently dangerous for the American people." —Oliver North

Brackets (as distinguished from parentheses) are useful for indicating that you've inserted something of your own in a quotation. In this case, the first sentence of the quotation was evidently longer than it now is. Perhaps Mr. North wrote: "I believe that the former..."

So if we cut off an unneeded part of a quotation, we still need to make the rest of the quotation grammatical and consistent. Instead of putting in the lower-case t in the original, the writer has inserted [T] to indicate that this should be the beginning of the sentence.

The same principle applies to the insertion of [President]—it wouldn't be necessary if we had North's entire commentary, but since we have only part of it, the author using the quote has inserted the title. We understand what Mr. North said, but we also see where the author has clarified the text.

On the WA's page, that "I" is majuscule. In my quotation, it should be, grammatically speaking, minuscule. Therefore, I need the brackets.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:49 pm

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat wrote:*snip*

:clap:

I salute you, sir.

Yours in acknowledging that "[t]he greater part of the world's troubles are due to questions and grammar." (Michel de Montaigne)
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Ryouese Black Islands
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryouese Black Islands » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:56 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:

I second the motion

Ambasator Kilala Baltor of The Grand Maritime Empire of Ryou
Colonies of Ryou
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
New Age people claim The "Space Brothers" are coming. I say "Do they have Space Sisters?"
StGeorge: you're pathetic
13:25 StGeorge: seriously
13:25 StGeorge: just leave ns already
13:25 StGeorge: you're an embarrassment to the site
13:25 StGeorge: and should have been thrown out months ago

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:51 am

Sionis Prioratus wrote:
Astro-Malsitari WA Seat wrote:*snip*

I salute you, sir.

Yours in acknowledging that "[t]he greater part of the world's troubles are due to questions and grammar." (Michel de Montaigne)

Hear hear!

So when do we get to vote in favour of establishing the travelling circus?

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Astro-Malsitari WA Seat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:30 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

I salute you, sir.

Hear hear!

So when do we get to vote in favour of establishing the travelling circus?

I've stated twice now that the earliest I'm free to submit and campaign for this is November 5th.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives