NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Legalizing Prostitution

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:10 am

Miley World wrote:In Miley World it is prohibited to have sex before the wedding. And it is prohibited to have sex wiff someone else than your spouse. So prostitution is banned here. We don't have prostitutes and if we does, they're arrested. So prostitution will NEVER be legal here.

Lord Raekevik shook his head.

"Please read Resolution #16 Sexual Privacy Act."
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Dinkamana
Envoy

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dinkamana » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:15 am

The arguments from both sides are well played though most against arguments are simply for personal reasons instead of legitimate concerns. The Imperium of Dinkamana hereby ABSTAINS until further arguments are put forth. Even then we may still abstain as we have no opinion on prostitution. It does not affect the Imperium in any way as prostitution is not part of our caste system in the way it is defined in this resolution.
Alpha. Mike. Foxtrot. In other words, Adios Mother FUCKER!!!

Ryouese Black Islands
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryouese Black Islands » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:16 am

this Resolution is flawed in many ways, mainly because the prostitution-based enterprises will be totally tax free. This is damaging to he economy and i move that if this gets repealed, that a new version of this which allows governments to tax ALL prostitution-based enterprises be put into it as the Tax revue from these places will bring a wind fall to all people.
Colonies of Ryou
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
New Age people claim The "Space Brothers" are coming. I say "Do they have Space Sisters?"
StGeorge: you're pathetic
13:25 StGeorge: seriously
13:25 StGeorge: just leave ns already
13:25 StGeorge: you're an embarrassment to the site
13:25 StGeorge: and should have been thrown out months ago

The Kiaser Colonies
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kiaser Colonies » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:20 am

Dinkamana wrote:The arguments from both sides are well played though most against arguments are simply for personal reasons instead of legitimate concerns. The Imperium of Dinkamana hereby ABSTAINS until further arguments are put forth. Even then we may still abstain as we have no opinion on prostitution. It does not affect the Imperium in any way as prostitution is not part of our caste system in the way it is defined in this resolution.

Here's a letter I posted on my regional message board. I urge people to consider this before they vote or to read this and rethink their vote.

WA Nations of Rushmore,
If this breaks the rules of the message board I apologise. The WA proposal "Legalizing Prostitution" is forcing upon all nations the controversial matter of prostitution. Not only does it encourage it but it proposes that it be made compulsory and that it may not be illegal. I am strongly opposed to this passing and will do anything i can to stop this proposal being passed. I ask of you, the wonderful nation states of Rushmore to show your support for my cause and if possible, vote against "Legalizing Prostitution". Not just for my nation or yours (if you agree) but for every nation to have the right to be able to oppose and outlaw prostitution, thus protecting the sovereign political rights of each and every nation on NationStates.
Thank you and may God/Allah/Buddha/All the deities of Hinduism/deities of all other faiths/Non religious bless and protect you (Sorry if this offended anyone. Please express you problem with me through TG),
The Kiaser Colonies
Winner of Rugby World Cup 18 and R7WC 2.
Host of Rugby League World Cup XVII

Hosted: Domestic leagues, Rugby League World Cup XVII

Advanced passed groups/qualifiers: Rugby World Cup 17 (Quarter-finals), Copa Rushmori VI, Rugby World Cup 18, R7WC 2, Beach Cup 13, 9th GCF World Twenty20, Rugby League World Cup XVII (Quarter-finals)

3rd Copa Rushmori VI, Beach Cup 13
2nd None
1st Rugby World Cup 18, Rugby 7's World Cup 2, gold medal men's doubles badminton at one iteration of the Olympics.

Australian and proud!

Palentine WA Office
Secretary

Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Palentine WA Office » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:30 am

This might come as a shock to y'all, but I and my nation oppose this drek.I shall take a moment's pause to allow all of y'all to gasp in shock and dismay...... The reason I oppose this is very simple, old boy. The Festering Snakepit has no business overseeing or regulating this activity. I, for one, do not want to become a pimp. That is best left to each individual municipality, state or nation to decide. They are most familar with the moral and religeous sensibilities of their people, not some faceless cretinous bureaucrat here in the snakepit.

Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
another Fine Yeldan Puppet™

Pumpledom
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pumpledom » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:33 am

Some interesting arguments . . . the main problem Pumpledom has with this resolution is the context in which it is framed, i.e.
A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce

Is the main aim of this resolution to generate revenue, with side effects such as prostitute health and safety an added bonus?

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:34 am

FURTHER PROHIBITS Individual member-states regulating prostitution-based enterprises to the point where it no longer becomes profitable for the enterprise, or its employees; member-states must also refrain from instilling negative ramifications on prostitutes for pursuing the profession with the intent of stymieing the industry.

Krioval has refrained from comment on this legislation because we felt it was a terrible idea. The above clause demonstrates that our position was entirely correct. Every delegation here must realize that their companies will now hire a sex worker (to work, not for other purposes) to declare their business "prostitution-based". I guess the term "office whore" is now going to be an official designation in many corporate headquarters.

Henrik Søgård
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Otaku Stratus
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby Otaku Stratus » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:52 am

Absolutely reprehensible that this is even being considered. Sex needs to be consensual for both parties. If one is paying the other, and the other wouldn't do it if they weren't being paid, then that's compensated rape. "Oldest profession" my ass, how many professions do you know that people regularly do for each other without being paid? Cooking. That's about it.

Megustan
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Megustan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:00 pm

It's going to happen anyways. Best make it government controlled to make it safe.
Seriously, if you're in denial that it happens everywhere, you're out of your mind.
The difference?
Some countries, like Thailand, are smart enough to see to it that it's legal, safe, and government controlled. They realize it happens, so they make a profit of it while keeping those who take part in it STI free.
Yeah, seems evil and archaic to me.
Not.

Smittya
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Smittya » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:26 pm

This proposal is outlandish. This legislation is more fitted to bring before one's own nation for approval within their own borders. It is not the WA's place to impose business regulating laws within members' borders. Next thing you know, the WA will be setting the speed limits on our highways and interstates. World Leaders, if you feel your own nation should embrace legalization of prostitution, that is fine, present it before your own Legislative Branch. By imposing this resolution, the WA is severely limiting every member's ability to govern it's own people. Smittya strongly opposes this resolution.

Maroza
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Maroza » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:49 pm

What I find even more startling is that it has been winning in the poles shortly after it started.
Current level 5: Peacetime
Find a Helmet
Put on a Helmet

Find me someone who does not support the revolutionary sciences and the technology of peace and they will be shot as traitors to the revolution.~Aethrys
The disease first struck a wealthy nation with low population density, an adequate health care system and naturally declining population.

Rouge Pioneers
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rouge Pioneers » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:02 pm

Can we use this act to "Condemn Flibbleites"?

The Kiaser Colonies
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kiaser Colonies » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:13 pm

Rouge Pioneers wrote:Can we use this act to "Condemn Flibbleites"?

possibly if you phrased you accusations properly. I would condemn him for denying all nations their own sovereign political freedoms and rights.
Winner of Rugby World Cup 18 and R7WC 2.
Host of Rugby League World Cup XVII

Hosted: Domestic leagues, Rugby League World Cup XVII

Advanced passed groups/qualifiers: Rugby World Cup 17 (Quarter-finals), Copa Rushmori VI, Rugby World Cup 18, R7WC 2, Beach Cup 13, 9th GCF World Twenty20, Rugby League World Cup XVII (Quarter-finals)

3rd Copa Rushmori VI, Beach Cup 13
2nd None
1st Rugby World Cup 18, Rugby 7's World Cup 2, gold medal men's doubles badminton at one iteration of the Olympics.

Australian and proud!

Maroza
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Maroza » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:24 pm

The Kiaser Colonies wrote:
Rouge Pioneers wrote:Can we use this act to "Condemn Flibbleites"?

possibly if you phrased you accusations properly. I would condemn him for denying all nations their own sovereign political freedoms and rights.

brilliant idea but you must mention something about how we are shocked that it even reached a vote or that so many people voted for it
Current level 5: Peacetime
Find a Helmet
Put on a Helmet

Find me someone who does not support the revolutionary sciences and the technology of peace and they will be shot as traitors to the revolution.~Aethrys
The disease first struck a wealthy nation with low population density, an adequate health care system and naturally declining population.

Liberal TurtleShroom
Secretary

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberal TurtleShroom » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:33 pm

IC:

HOLY REPUBLIC OF TURTLESHROOM
WORLD ASSEMBLY DELEGATION
HEADQUARTERED IN THE ENCLACE OF LIBERAL TURTLESHROOM
OFFICIAL STATEMENT

God have mercy on us all, that this is even on the ballot. Forcing a legalizagtion of one of the world's darkest sins on every nation regardless of culture or belief is an overstep of the WA's power and should not be permitted.

Secularly speaking, this is a violation of women's rights and demeaning to the fairer gender in every meaning of the word. The lucrative payments of prostitution will send millions upon millions of females down the path of uneducated, fruitless, and immoral use of their bodies solely for the gratification of men who can not find love through their own merits and worth.

To enter into prosititution is to abandon all that makes one a civilized creature. To forfeit your worth, your skills, your talents, your purpose simply to mate for cash is the ultimate disgrace to any woman of any species.

In the interests of preventing the fairer gender from being regressed back to being property and mere institutions for reproduction, this letter from Hell must be sent back to the molten sulfur from which it rose.

Failure to do so will result in permanent and damaging reactionism from our TurtleShroomian colonists, we can assure you. The Party of Liberal TurtleShroom is in full agreement that this legislation can not be allowed to pass.

It is a violation of human rights and the rights of any female sentient to ever exist and procreate.

Sex is sacred.

-TurtleShroom
P.S.: We warned you that the WA was evil.
Jesus Loves You and Died for you!

This crazy colony exists to serve as TurtleShroom's World Assembly Puppet.

Welcome to the TurtleShroom Empire.

Lesser Naboo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lesser Naboo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:37 pm

I vote now for this resolution. I would mention immorality, but no one would care. Instead, I point out that this goes against national sovereignty.
Reminder: Don't feed the parasprites.
Proud fan of Pokemon, Star Wars, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
Shanix wrote:Imma go ahead and say this topic will not end well.

Conserative Morality wrote:This thread has killed my soul.
Orangi wrote:I am so, so confused right now.
Ameriganastan wrote:...God, i hate the internet sometimes.
Soxastan wrote:This thread; What. The. Fuck.
Xiscapia wrote:Goddamn this thread.
...just...goddamn it...
Shanix wrote:Aw'hell, this is go'in down.
Ameriganastan wrote:...I have no idea what you lunatics are talking about.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:Two bells rang out, as the question was put on "Legalizing Prostitution".

As the proposal clerk read the final words of the resolution ("Co-Author: Connopolis"), Lord Evif, already on his feet, keyed his microphone.

Point of information, Madam Secretary-General.

Lord Evif saw the Chair nod to him, glanced down at a card that a page had passed to him, and proceeded.

I am informed that a timely point of order was raised that this resolution was in contradiction to Resolution #68, "National Economic Freedoms"; specifically, the clause allowing national governments to regulate commerce within their jurisdiction.

As the resolution is now at vote, I assume that this point of order was not well taken and that the Secretariat has ruled that no contradiction exists.

If this understanding is incorrect, I request clarification from the Secretariat so that appropriate action can be taken to remedy the error and the General Assembly does not labor under an incorrect precedent.

Now, let the substantive debate on this resolution proceed. I yield the floor.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian UN WA Ambassador
Citizen of the Rejected Realms

How does this limit it? All it does is say you cannot make it unprofitable for a citizen. Thats a basic right, to make money. I encourage regulation, as long as it doesn't oppress the profession.
From the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
Dr. Xzavier M.
Leader of The Kingdom of Great Azarath

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:first vote against

There is no reason to vote against, except for NatSov which lacks in sense to me. This resolution expands your economy and civil rights all while keeping down human trafficking rates. The only way this cannot happen is if it is poorly regulated, but you guys just said you would regulate late to there shouldn't be a problem.
Dr. Xzavier M.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:42 pm

While this resolution may "legalize" prosititution, we shall keep in spirit of it by our delegation hiring hookers and constructing a brothel right across the building. And violate it as well by raiding brothels with regular National Police searches and making sure they don't break the "law" GA is forcing upon us because we are heartless for not supporting this in the first place.

We wonder if we can regulate this business as well. Seeing that there is a ban against us from trying to make the sin unprofitable, we can say that even basic regulation would make the business unprofitable. Or ads telling of the danger of STDs. Or perhaps making the brothels be owned by an Azarite citizen (pretty hard since we deported them all for this foolishness and barred their entry.). Or something. We hate this crap and we urge other nations to block enforcement and violate this until it's defeated/repealed.

Freedom over tyranny.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:43 pm

Dilange wrote:
Goobergunchia wrote:Two bells rang out, as the question was put on "Legalizing Prostitution".

As the proposal clerk read the final words of the resolution ("Co-Author: Connopolis"), Lord Evif, already on his feet, keyed his microphone.

Point of information, Madam Secretary-General.

Lord Evif saw the Chair nod to him, glanced down at a card that a page had passed to him, and proceeded.

I am informed that a timely point of order was raised that this resolution was in contradiction to Resolution #68, "National Economic Freedoms"; specifically, the clause allowing national governments to regulate commerce within their jurisdiction.

As the resolution is now at vote, I assume that this point of order was not well taken and that the Secretariat has ruled that no contradiction exists.

If this understanding is incorrect, I request clarification from the Secretariat so that appropriate action can be taken to remedy the error and the General Assembly does not labor under an incorrect precedent.

Now, let the substantive debate on this resolution proceed. I yield the floor.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian UN WA Ambassador
Citizen of the Rejected Realms

"Apparently when Great Azarath and Connopolis tried to block our over-regulations....they didnt read that proposal." Sainthos joked.
Dr. Xzavier M.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Maroza wrote:Voted against.

My country may have legalized prostitution but if this passes we will have to seriously consider leaving the WA.

Tell me, why is that?
Dr. Xzavier M.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Ms. S. Harper has gone against as expected. No need to speculate there.

Against because of NatSov? Pfft, ridiculous.
Dr. Xzavier M.

Hendrion
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Hendrion » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Pryssilvalia wrote:Being a prostitute itself is immoral, in the sense that it negatively affects public health and order and therefore banned. Not giving the choice for people to be immoral is not immoral, otherwise outlawing murder will be immoral.

Of course, some might argue that being a prostitute isn't immoral. However, plenty of people will argue that revenge isn't immoral. As long as the majority thinks it is immoral, then it can be reasonably thought as immoral in general.

Again, I have seen plenty of people thinking it isn't right for people to force the majority's moral onto the individual - but doing otherwise would be to force the individual's moral onto the society.

While it may be perceived as immoral and unsafe by many, prostitution should still be legalized across the board. Those who object need not participate. This is first and foremost an issue of personal liberty. The proposal recommends that all necessary precautions be taken to prevent the spread of disease, but it is a matter of people doing with their bodies what they will. You can't place prostitution on par with murder, because, as clearly outlined in the resolution, the act is consensual, and so prostitutes may refuse any sexual proposition. Murder is definitely non-consensual, and death is not an occupation.

Great Azarath
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Azarath » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:50 pm

Suidwes-Afrika wrote:
Great Azarath wrote:Alright then, so everything you put was for nothing. You aren't making sense.

You don't know sarcasm when you see it, do you?

Have you tried reading your own proposal, GA? You said I can't hire independent thugs to destroy my own technically legal prostitution industry if this WA proposal is passed. Read carefully:

FURTHER PROHIBITS Individual member-states regulating prostitution-based enterprises to the point where it no longer becomes profitable for the enterprise, or its employees; member-states must also refrain from instilling negative ramifications on prostitutes for pursuing the profession with the intent of stymieing the industry.

Look, if you hire some poor independent illegal immigrants from somewhere to take an automatic rifle and shoot up a brothel once in a while, or beat up their managers, my government is not regulating the industry enough to make it unprofitable. We are also not officially instilling negative ramifications. We are simply employing people unaffiliated with us to attack this industry and thus indirectly affect it through a loophole.

*Xavier Laughes* You are abusing the managers and killing them all. The fact you hired someone to do that is regulating and I am sure illegal in the WA.
Dr. Xzavier M.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Great Azarath wrote:
Suidwes-Afrika wrote:
You don't know sarcasm when you see it, do you?

Have you tried reading your own proposal, GA? You said I can't hire independent thugs to destroy my own technically legal prostitution industry if this WA proposal is passed. Read carefully:

Look, if you hire some poor independent illegal immigrants from somewhere to take an automatic rifle and shoot up a brothel once in a while, or beat up their managers, my government is not regulating the industry enough to make it unprofitable. We are also not officially instilling negative ramifications. We are simply employing people unaffiliated with us to attack this industry and thus indirectly affect it through a loophole.

*Xavier Laughes* You are abusing the managers and killing them all. The fact you hired someone to do that is regulating and I am sure illegal in the WA.

Perhaps if we left this matter to the individual WA members...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives