NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Legalizing Prostitution

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:15 am

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Great Azarath...

... if this passes I shall get to add to my badge count with the repeal.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

The Jaguar Sun
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jaguar Sun » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:25 am

The Jaguar Sun and Islas de Jaina vote for.

However, the necessity of a definition for "sapience" would ultimately be unnecessary if the wording were changing to "human being" rather than "sapient being". Since we're discussing humans who are in fact sapient, I don't think there's a need for additional terminology.
Otherwise, a vote for as I said.

Ruridova
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruridova » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:46 am

I vote against.
Республіка Рюрідова - Королівство Вілкія
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I needed clothes and you clothed me; I was sick and you looked after me; I was in prison and you came to visit me... Truly, whatever you did for one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did for me."
- the Gospel of Matthew, 25:35-40

Dukopolious
Minister

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dukopolious » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:51 am

*Finds corrupt loopholes for those bent on distroying prosition*

Make very strict laws as to who can aquire a prositiue example:

Must be a maximum of 4 feet
Must be older than 20
Must be younger than 40
Must not have a criminal record
Must not have an STD
Must pay a 99.99% tax to the govenment if services are used.
Must be listed in lower class
Must have large sums of money
Must have no family
Must own 2 properties

(see how narrow it can get?)
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Pryssilvalia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pryssilvalia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:55 am

Dukopolious wrote:*Finds corrupt loopholes for those bent on distroying prosition*

Make very strict laws as to who can aquire a prositiue example:

Must be a maximum of 4 feet
Must be older than 20
Must be younger than 40
Must not have a criminal record
Must not have an STD
Must pay a 99.99% tax to the govenment if services are used.
Must be listed in lower class
Must have large sums of money
Must have no family
Must own 2 properties

(see how narrow it can get?)

No, I just simply propose that the prostitute/customer must hold a Nobel Prize in Medicine. Boom, problem solved.
Last edited by Pryssilvalia on Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hughes Tyssia - High Commissioner of the Commonwealth of the Frankian Countries

Dystopian Malisin
Envoy

Founded: Jul 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dystopian Malisin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:59 am

How did this reach quorum?!
Factbook(Incomplete)
NSWiki(Incomplete)
Website(Incomplete)
NSEconomy
NSTracker
Sunset Calculator
People:
Seth Eliason, current dictator. Wife: Toria Eliason. Son: William Eliason, ambassador to Saliu. Brother: Gray Eliason, executed for treason.
Tarik El-Hilal, current head advisor, head of internal and foreign affairs. Tenzin El-Hilal, head military and police general.
Katrina Bermenheim, criminal and traitor. *captured*
Business: None Yet
Wars: War on Pazajkland- diplomatic victory
Alliances: None Yet
Sports: None Yet
Other: Embassy in Saliu- Ambassador William Eliason
Allies: Saliu
Enemies: None Yet

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 am

Dystopian Malisin wrote:How did this reach quorum?!

How is this passing so far? Did GA TG delegtes ordering them to vote for or be called heartless?

The Mechanan Race
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Mechanan Race » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:16 am

I can't believe that for has double the vote. I will not follow this immorality even if it does somehow pass.
99% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 1% sitting there with 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!" Then copy & paste this into your sig. And if you are that one genius who sneaks past the police line to get up there and push him off to make sure he doesn't have second thoughts. You are the greatest person on Earth.

New Donkholme
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Donkholme » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:40 am

AGAINST for violating nations' sovereign rights.

Fotar
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Fotar » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:41 am

This is a disgusting proposal. Voting strongly against.
Founder and Lord Regent of the second Council of Narnia
One-time Delegate of Balder
Progress through Respect. Power through Honor.

The cold ice
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The cold ice » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:50 am

against and if it passes and the repeal(there will be a repeal) fails i'm leaving the WA
Everyone calls me Ice.

Utopiaana
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Utopiaana » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:01 am

"We think it's morally wrong to force this legislation on individual member-states. This should be up to each and every State to decide themselves, internally. I will therefore vote to defeat this resolution".

- John Wissel, Utopiaana's WA Delegate.
Last edited by Utopiaana on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Authorised by The Hon. Torleif Svaringshaug - Supreme Leader

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:25 am

That reminds me. We probably need this card to be played:

Best sums up what the IntFed people seem to be getting at.

Aaderonia
Secretary

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aaderonia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:46 am

Prostitutes and member states that reside with the World Assembly MUST ABIDE to the following statements:
(1) Prostitutes are made fully aware of the health or other specific risk connected to prostitution;
(2) A prostitute has the right to refuse any sexual act;
(3) A prostitute has the right to create a contract with his/her/its client agreeing on specific details.

so member ns"s have to allow prostiutiion i personaly refuse this bill and will immediatly vote against it. no nation in my region shall agree with this deeply imoral bill. it is against my reliogion. i will vote to repeal this bill asap.

Outlying States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Outlying States » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:25 am

Utopiaana wrote:"We think it's morally wrong to force this legislation on individual member-states. This should be up to each and every State to decide themselves, internally. I will therefore vote to defeat this resolution".

- John Wissel, Utopiaana's WA Delegate.

"Hear, hear. I don't know that there has been a resolution that the CoS has so firmly disagreed with as this one."

--Langston Everett, WA Ambassador of the CoS

Rouge Pioneers
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rouge Pioneers » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:26 am

So stupid, I'm actually agreeing with it. I just want to see it get passed through.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:51 am

Dystopian Malisin wrote:How did this reach quorum?!

It had the support of eighty delegates, of course.

We would like to hear more discussion of the risks of violence against women and to the public health before voting on this resolution. We are not interested in claims of "morality" or blatantly false allegations that the World Assembly does not have authority to legislate on this subject. We have not reviewed the prior debate on drafts of this resolution, so references to relevant pages of that discussion, if they exist, would also be appreciated.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian UN WA Ambassador
Citizen of the Rejected Realms

Churchilland
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Churchilland » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:56 am

No.
Churchilland Embassy Project
Personification, as done by The Merchant Republics
The National anthem "Ode to the Nation"
Morgan Jones Tea Shops
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graph ... 66_eng.jpg
Ceannairceach wrote:
Because Britain is the other, better America. Its like America 1.0, when America 2.0 failed miserably.

Zuri Nyuni wrote:
There are things men speak only in hushed voices, afraid that if the wind caught their words, great evil would befall them. One of these things is Birmingham. The other is Peirs Morgan.

Ifreann wrote:
Maybe thinking the Illuminati exist is what the Illuminati want us to think.

Miley World
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Miley World » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:22 am

In Miley World it is prohibited to have sex before the wedding. And it is prohibited to have sex wiff someone else than your spouse. So prostitution is banned here. We don't have prostitutes and if we does, they're arrested. So prostitution will NEVER be legal here.
Miley World embassy program: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=302332
Miley World domestic sports leagues: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139410
football (soccer): unranked
american football: unranked
hockey: unranked
baseball: unranked

Miley World's official twitter: @MileyWorld_NS follow us!

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:56 am

Great Azarath wrote:
Embolalia wrote:Previous censorship-worthy joking aside, this really isn't something the WA needs to decide on. The WA should infringe upon sovereignty only to protect the fundamental rights and safety of citizens. Prostitution is not a fundamental right. I agree, it's something people should be allowed to do. I don't think it's so important that it should be passed down from upon high as a mandate.

That said, I would like to thank the author for so thoroughly and arbitrarily limiting our ability to regulate the industry. This will make the proposal very easy to repeal, should it pass.

-E. Rory Hywel
WA Ambassador for Embolalia

What the? You can add your own protocol making it to your liking. I think this proposal is pretty vague so you can make it to your liking.

FURTHER PROHIBITS Individual member-states regulating prostitution-based enterprises to the point where it no longer becomes profitable for the enterprise, or its employees;
My interest, as a legislator, is not industry profits. My interest is the health and safety of my constituents. I frankly don't give a damn whether the fucking industry is profitable. And if you know the first thing about industry regulations, it's that the second you say you're going to add regulations, they start complaining that it will hurt profits. Given how vague this is, all the industry groups would have to say is "if you require us to do fill-in-the-blank, we won't be able to make a profit!" And then, no matter how sensible the regulation, we won't be allowed to do it.

-E. Rory Hywel
WA Ambassador for Embolalia
Last edited by Embolalia on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Peace and Omnipotence
Attaché

Founded: Mar 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Peace and Omnipotence » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:56 am

Voted no, seems like a disgusting proposal to me. Most women go into it because they have no other job options.

Scollertoft
Political Columnist

Founded: May 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Scollertoft » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:37 am

We are strongly against this proposal, for moral, religious, and public health reasons. Furthermore, we believe the nation sponsoring this resolution, in addition to all nations voting in favor, should be deeply ashamed of themselves. Indeed, a Security Council resolution condemning all those nations would be appropriate.

We vote no, and eagerly look forward to a resolution to repeal.

The Kiaser Colonies
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kiaser Colonies » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:44 am

Im already working on a repeal. This is disgraceful and I will not stand for it. Prostitution is against every fibre of my existence and I will not follow this proposal, even if it results in my nation being condemned. Why you feel the need for prostitution to be forced upon the world as compulsory I don't know. You can have prostitution in your nation but I won't let you bring it to my nation.

VOTE NO TO LEGALIZING PROSTITUTION!
Winner of Rugby World Cup 18 and R7WC 2.
Host of Rugby League World Cup XVII

Hosted: Domestic leagues, Rugby League World Cup XVII

Advanced passed groups/qualifiers: Rugby World Cup 17 (Quarter-finals), Copa Rushmori VI, Rugby World Cup 18, R7WC 2, Beach Cup 13, 9th GCF World Twenty20, Rugby League World Cup XVII (Quarter-finals)

3rd Copa Rushmori VI, Beach Cup 13
2nd None
1st Rugby World Cup 18, Rugby 7's World Cup 2, gold medal men's doubles badminton at one iteration of the Olympics.

Australian and proud!

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:00 am

Here's my post from the silly/illegal proposals thread about this (I made the post there before this thread was created):

Quelesh wrote:As its discussion thread has, unfortunately, been locked, I am forced to post my response to the Legalizing Prostitution proposal here. A new discussion thread for that proposal may well be created, as it looks like it's going to reach quorum and come to vote soon. If so, please feel free to move this post to that thread.

While I agree that prostitution should be legalized, there are two strong reservations that I have to the proposal as worded.

HEREBY MANDATES that all member states residing with the World Assembly legalize the business and free trade of prostitution within the confines of previously existent international law.

The first is the inclusion of the phrase "residing with the World Assembly" here. The common interpretation of the word "reside" is "live" or "dwell." The inclusion of this phrase creates a loophole that would allow any member state to ignore the requirement to legalize prostitution, as that member state does not "reside" with the World Assembly.

ENCOURAGES individual member states to impose additional protocol or standards that do not conflict with this resolution.

The second is this clause. This clause explicitly allows (and indeed encourages) any "protocol" or "standards" that do not conflict with this proposal, on any matter whatever. Therefore, this clause could act as a blocker against any future proposal that would prevent member states from enacting protocols or standards on any subject, as such protocols and standards are already explicitly allowed.

I think that the proposal should be withdrawn, if there is still time before it comes to vote, so that these issues can be fixed.

The proposal cannot be withdrawn at this time, as it is at vote, so I think that the proposal as currently worded should be defeated and then resubmitted once these two issues have been addressed.

And, oh yeah:

The Republic of Lanos wrote:How about we legalize incest while we're on the topic of letting immorality come to our nations.

GAR16 already requires that consensual incest be legal.
Last edited by Quelesh on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:09 am

The Kiaser Colonies wrote:Im already working on a repeal. This is disgraceful and I will not stand for it. Prostitution is against every fibre of my existence and I will not follow this proposal, even if it results in my nation being condemned. Why you feel the need for prostitution to be forced upon the world as compulsory I don't know. You can have prostitution in your nation but I won't let you bring it to my nation.

VOTE NO TO LEGALIZING PROSTITUTION!

I urge you to not draft your repeal secretly and do it here in Charlotte Ryberg's thread. She isn't the only one drafting a repeal. This could be a race for the insta-repeal! dun-dun-dun!
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives