NATION

PASSWORD

[Defeated] Commend Glen-Rhodes

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Well there are powerhouses like Europe that don't take votes at all and regional votes rarely extend beyond like three or four citizens, maybe ten on 10ki. You can use the argument that those who don't vote on the regional forums are abstaining from the process, but these votes only extends so far.. when a region is 99.99% unrepresented, sometimes voter apathy or participation is an issue requiring action and accommodation by the state.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Cerberion wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:I'm not sure why this would make the data inaccurate. RealVotes shows the voting power of those who are actually voting, and then compares it to the numbers given by NationStates. Why do you say that this scenario makes the data analysis inaccurate?

The point of RealVotes is to get rid of all the distortion and assign one vote for one person. In my opinion, if you don't vote, then you shouldn't have an influence in the overall vote. Any system that gives you influence without you actually voting is incredibly distorted, non-democratic and broken, if you ask me.

Not sure how it's undemocratic unless you are in a region without a delegate, or in a region who's delegate doesn't operate in a democratic fashion.

I agree it's certainly not a traditional democracy.

I cast my "real" vote where it counts the most, and thats in my region. Why whisper when you can shout?

That's actually a good point; as opposed to a regional delegate voting off their own prerogative, their voting would be controlled by members within the region, who in turn, don't vote on WA resolutions regularly. That's pretty bi-partisan, if you ask me; albeit, I think it would definitely represent the true democratic opinion of all member-states vote. But that's just my two cents.

Yours truly,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Improving Wordiness
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Improving Wordiness » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:22 pm

Unibot II wrote:Well there are powerhouses like Europe that don't take votes at all and regional votes rarely extend beyond like three or four citizens, maybe ten on 10ki. You can use the argument that those who don't vote on the regional forums are abstaining from the process, but these votes only extends so far.. when a region is 99.99% unrepresented, sometimes voter apathy or participation is an issue requiring action and accommodation by the state.

Intersting! What would happen to the Dharma- Capitalist paradise treaty in that case?

Capitalist Paradise is obligated to vote for all Security Council resolutions that are
authored by a native of Dharma. Unless, the resolution is concerning Capitalist Paradise,
one of its affiliated diplomatic regions (except Dharma) or any avowed adversaries of
Capitalist Paradise.

You could say the same thing for the natives of CP as it seems they do not get a choice at all.
Klaus Devestatorie wrote:I'm a massive tool. ;)

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Improving Wordiness wrote:
Unibot II wrote:Well there are powerhouses like Europe that don't take votes at all and regional votes rarely extend beyond like three or four citizens, maybe ten on 10ki. You can use the argument that those who don't vote on the regional forums are abstaining from the process, but these votes only extends so far.. when a region is 99.99% unrepresented, sometimes voter apathy or participation is an issue requiring action and accommodation by the state.

Intersting! What would happen to the Dharma- Capitalist paradise treaty in that case?

Capitalist Paradise is obligated to vote for all Security Council resolutions that are
authored by a native of Dharma. Unless, the resolution is concerning Capitalist Paradise,
one of its affiliated diplomatic regions (except Dharma) or any avowed adversaries of
Capitalist Paradise.

You could say the same thing for the natives of CP as it seems they do not get a choice at all.

Err . . . The treaty was mutually ratified, if I recall correctly. Therefore, CP agreed to that term. Dual democracy in this case is derived through prerogative, and because CP denied it, then I believe the outcome was in fact democratic.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:42 pm

Capitalist Paradise.

Actually, if the treaty included resolutions *about* Dharmans, it would have passed. Heh.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Mahaj wrote:

Actually, if the treaty included resolutions *about* Dharmans, it would have passed. Heh.

I've had a puppet in Dharma. That means the treaty was breached!

*Holds up torch and pitchfork* :p
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Unibot II wrote:
Todd McCloud wrote:A margin of ten votes between for and against! Let the pandering begin (or hasten I suppose)!

I like it. New card?
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:52 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:
Unibot II wrote:

I like it. New card?

It's added to the gallery too! :)

Probably would be considered undemocratic. *whistles*
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives