NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "A Model World Assembly"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:01 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Mahaj wrote:How is educating about the role of the WA historical? Yes, you could legislate on the historical role, but it also has a very current impact. And doings, especially. Like, i dunno "The WA just passed this law, class. Lets see what it does."

Which would be countered by the fact that current events are ensured by the freedom of the press.

That resolution has enough loopholes in itself, that no, not really.
Mahaj wrote:Did I say no change? No. Address the argument being made, or don't address it at all.

Lets see the argument...
The resolution does not effect any significant or even mild level of change upon educational systems by encouraging them to partake in a "simulation", although it may cause significant problems when nations' educational philosophies are based around other methods of learning,

So, it does not effect any significant changes, or even mild level of changes, but can cause significant problems? I didn't know insignificance was so significant.

If I took an insignificant comma, and put it somewhere it did not belong in an important document, it could vastly change the meaning.[/quote]
Indeed, but a comma this is not. This would not both cause little change and have a big effect upon the same thing.

Mahaj wrote:Due to objections. So I went with this. And now your objection is that it doesn't go... far enough? No, its not. Its that enforcing things on a level would be a waste, despite the fact that they *aren't required to*.

It's ineffective as well as unneeded is my point.

But if it doesn't do anything, why do you want to repeal it? I'll write a replacement, and fine, i'll make it stronger. Hope you enjoy.

Mahaj wrote:OOC: I believe we're addressing this on IRC right now, but because it says 'here at' the HQ, it could be wherever the document is.

Speculation. If the WAHQ is repealed, then there would be no official WAHQ.

We operate in a building called 'The World Assembly Headquarters', not 'The Madison Square Garden' or whatever.

Mahaj wrote:Yeah, thank god. I'm surprised.

This is not intended to be insulting, ambassador. It's simply politics.

I meant that you've included enough frivolous stuff that i'm surprised you didn't include this as well.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:A resolution need not be only filled with flaws to be deserving of a repeal, one could put forth a resolution which teaches all children the history of anything, which while admirable is ultimately unnecessary, especially since the WA has already legislated on the issue.
The points I raise here have already been raised in the drafting thread, and promptly ignored.

Finally, the waste of time I refer to is not just the four days to vote on the issue, but the time spent maintaining the requirements of the resolution, and the ensuring of its enforcement. The repeal essentially removes duplicative and useless legislation, and saves us the trouble of enforcing it.

While we acknowledge that there are many reasons to seek repeal of a resolution, we do not feel that it is appropriate to do so immediately after it is passed unless there is substantial reason to believe that the vote will be different. This proposal brings nothing to the table that could not be addressed in the 3 days 7 hours remaining for the current vote. The resolution at vote currently leads by only 563 votes, and it is easy to see it falling to a concerted effort.

[Lord] Michael Evif
Goobergunchian UN WA Ambassador
Citizen, The Rejected Realms

I will post my counterarguments in the appropriate place. Should that fail, then this thread will be used and continued to draft a repeal.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Mahaj wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Which would be countered by the fact that current events are ensured by the freedom of the press.

That resolution has enough loopholes in itself, that no, not really.

Perhaps a repeal and replacement of that resolution would then negate the need for this one?
Mahaj wrote:

If I took an insignificant comma, and put it somewhere it did not belong in an important document, it could vastly change the meaning.

Indeed, but a comma this is not. This would not both cause little change and have a big effect upon the same thing.

It was a metaphor for the proof of concept that small changes can in fact cause large change.

Mahaj wrote:

But if it doesn't do anything, why do you want to repeal it? I'll write a replacement, and fine, i'll make it stronger. Hope you enjoy.

I am a firm believer that I would rather see an effective resolution that I must comply with, rather than an ineffective one on the books.

Mahaj wrote:We operate in a building called 'The World Assembly Headquarters', not 'The Madison Square Garden' or whatever.

And if this was no longer the WAHQ what would it be called?
Last edited by Mallorea and Riva on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:09 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:It was twofold, the implication that the original resolution was foolish, and the statement that such foolishness would inevitably be mocked by children learning of it.

I never said the original was foolish - perhaps mild in nature, but not foolish. This repeal attempt is foolish...

Fascinating counterargument. Comparing a game with a game, seems a fair enough comparison to me.

That was either OOC, or satirical. Either way, educating children about international politics in a simulated diplomatic environment can only bring benefits.

Never did I say behemoth. And you still neglect the time aspect being wasted.
REQUIRES member nations to educate people about the role and doings of the World Assembly,

RECOMMENDS that nations implement national MWA conferences, which are gatherings where people simulate a WA discussion with the goal of passing resolutions and 'improving the world', and also where they can learn and practice proper diplomatic behavior,

The time wasted is minimal. The point that you're refusing to negate is that children should be given the option. Simply because NatSov's don't like the WA isn't reason enough to repeal this.

Yours in whining,

Yours in whining even more,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:11 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Mahaj wrote:That resolution has enough loopholes in itself, that no, not really.

Perhaps a repeal and replacement of that resolution would then negate the need for this one?

Of that? Yeah. But that takes time too.
Mahaj";p="6992015"[quote][quote="Mahaj wrote:Did I say no change? No. Address the argument being made, or don't address it at all.

Lets see the argument...
The resolution does not effect any significant or even mild level of change upon educational systems by encouraging them to partake in a "simulation", although it may cause significant problems when nations' educational philosophies are based around other methods of learning,

So, it does not effect any significant changes, or even mild level of changes, but can cause significant problems? I didn't know insignificance was so significant.

If I took an insignificant comma, and put it somewhere it did not belong in an important document, it could vastly change the meaning.[/quote]
Indeed, but a comma this is not. This would not both cause little change and have a big effect upon the same thing.[/quote]
It was a metaphor for the proof of concept that small changes can in fact cause large change.[/quote]
But that was a change to a document causing changes to how it is interpreted. This is you saying a small change to an educational system causes a large change. Could it? Yes. But if there's gonna be just a little change, it really shouldn't affect all but the weakest of school systems.

Mahaj";p="6992015"[quote][quote="Mahaj wrote:Due to objections. So I went with this. And now your objection is that it doesn't go... far enough? No, its not. Its that enforcing things on a level would be a waste, despite the fact that they *aren't required to*.

It's ineffective as well as unneeded is my point.

But if it doesn't do anything, why do you want to repeal it? I'll write a replacement, and fine, i'll make it stronger. Hope you enjoy.[/quote]
I am a firm believer that I would rather see an effective resolution that I must comply with, rather than an ineffective one on the books.[/quote]
Oh ho, Mr. NatSov? We all know you'd rather see no replacement. You said so yourself.

Mahaj";p="6992015"[quote][quote="Mahaj wrote:OOC: I believe we're addressing this on IRC right now, but because it says 'here at' the HQ, it could be wherever the document is.

Speculation. If the WAHQ is repealed, then there would be no official WAHQ.

We operate in a building called 'The World Assembly Headquarters', not 'The Madison Square Garden' or whatever.[/quote]
And if this was no longer the WAHQ what would it be called?[/quote]
Well the building name would remain the same. And when a new HeadQuarters is created, it'd refer to that.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:12 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:It was twofold, the implication that the original resolution was foolish, and the statement that such foolishness would inevitably be mocked by children learning of it.

I never said the original was foolish - perhaps mild in nature, but not foolish. This repeal attempt is foolish...

That was my point. Not yours. And your point contributes to my point anyways.

Connopolis wrote:
Fascinating counterargument. Comparing a game with a game, seems a fair enough comparison to me.

That was either OOC, or satirical. Either way, educating children about international politics in a simulated diplomatic environment can only bring benefits.

Why does the WA need to be involved at all? The fundamental question every resolution must ask itself.

Connopolis wrote:
Never did I say behemoth. And you still neglect the time aspect being wasted.
REQUIRES member nations to educate people about the role and doings of the World Assembly,

RECOMMENDS that nations implement national MWA conferences, which are gatherings where people simulate a WA discussion with the goal of passing resolutions and 'improving the world', and also where they can learn and practice proper diplomatic behavior,

The time wasted is minimal. The point that you're refusing to negate is that children should be given the option. Simply because NatSov's don't like the WA isn't reason enough to repeal this.

Yours in whining,

Yours in whining even more,

I concede the whining battle.
OOC :lol:
Ideological Bulwark #253

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:16 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Why does the WA need to be involved at all? The fundamental question every resolution must ask itself.

To effectively determine whether or not a resolution is effective, you must ask yourself one question: Does it benefit anyone, without negative repercussions? The answer to that (in regards to this proposal) would be YES.

:rofl:

Yours very, very, very truly,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Why does the WA need to be involved at all? The fundamental question every resolution must ask itself.

To effectively determine whether or not a resolution is effective, you must ask yourself one question: Does it benefit anyone, without negative repercussions? The answer to that (in regards to this proposal) would be YES.

Incorrect. One must ask: Does it do what it is mandated to do, in a way which a national government could not do on its own without WA intervention?
And the answer is no.
Connopolis wrote:

:rofl:

Yours very, very, very truly,

OOC: Just got annihilated fixing a quote pyramid. Good lord. /whine
Edit: Good lord i screwed it up again. Fixed,
Last edited by Mallorea and Riva on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:20 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Connopolis wrote:

Incorrect. One must ask: Does it do what it is mandated to do, in a way which a national government could not do on its own without WA intervention?
And the answer is no.

Right - let's just forget about whether or not the majority of children would benefit. Everyone knows how NatSov come before the well-being of sapient youth... :roll:

OOC: Just got annihilated fixing a quote pyramid. Good lord. /whine

:p
Last edited by Connopolis on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:22 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:
And the answer is no.

Right - let's just forget about whether or not the majority of children would benefit. Everyone knows how NatSov come before the well-being of sapient youth... :roll:

It's a simple theory really. If my government can do it better, or equally well, then the WA shouldn't.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Connopolis wrote:

It's a simple theory really. If my government can do it better, or equally well, then the WA shouldn't.

If your government can do it better, great! What about the nations that wouldn't do it/couldn't be bothered with it without WA intervention? Think of the children!

Yours in saving youthful diplomats,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Black Marne
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Black Marne » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:25 pm

While I am normally a very strong advocate of NatSov, this is something that would actually benefit the member states WITHOUT limiting what they can do! This is a brilliant resolution, I praise the esteemed ambassador of Mahaj, and under no circumstances shall Black Marne vote for its repeal.

AGAINST.

-The Allied States of Black Marne
Defense, Liberation, Bacon: UDL

FUS RO DAH!
World Assembly Delegate of New Dinosaurtopia

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:It's a simple theory really. If my government can do it better, or equally well, then the WA shouldn't.

If your government can do it better, great! What about the nations that wouldn't do it/couldn't be bothered with it without WA intervention? Think of the children!

And so it has come down to it at last. The ultimate argument of the IntFed. Think of the children. Any government with a free press (which we all have now) can distribute news. Which is essentially all this resolution is capable of doing, considering the existence of other WA educational resolutions. The nations that do not have MWA are hardly harming their children to such an extent that WA legislation must be passed.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Connopolis wrote:

And so it has come down to it at last. The ultimate argument of the IntFed. Think of the children. Any government with a free press (which we all have now) can distribute news. Which is essentially all this resolution is capable of doing, considering the existence of other WA educational resolutions. The nations that do not have MWA are hardly harming their children to such an extent that WA legislation must be passed.

I hardly find the "think of the government officials!" argument any more compelling. The children would be fine without this resolution - however, they'd be better with it.

Yours,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:

I hardly find the "think of the government officials!" argument any more compelling. The children would be fine without this resolution - however, they'd be better with it.

Yours,

By such an incrementally small amount that one could argue that the boredom in some students produced by it will in fact outweigh the good.

OOC: Is your sig within the limits con? I can't remember the rules regarding those lines and stuff, because It's a really neat sig and I don't want it to get trimmed.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:40 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:By such an incrementally small amount that one could argue that the boredom in some students produced by it will in fact outweigh the good.

Then they can drop out of the course/MWA. The students interested in the subject will benefit.

OOC: Is your sig within the limits con? I can't remember the rules regarding those lines and stuff, because It's a really neat sig and I don't want it to get trimmed.

OOC: I think it's 8 lines, but I could be wrong. Thanks for pointing that out. :hug:
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:41 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:By such an incrementally small amount that one could argue that the boredom in some students produced by it will in fact outweigh the good.

Then they can drop out of the course/MWA. The students interested in the subject will benefit.

If they're interested then they can look in the papers or choose to take courses on the subject. The WA need not intervene further.

Connopolis wrote:

OOC: I think it's 8 lines, but I could be wrong. Thanks for pointing that out. :hug:

Anytime :) You can always check in the thread with reppy in moderation.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:46 am

OOC: How about mentioning the point that I raised during the MWA resolution's own drafting thread, i.e. that it seems rather presumptuous (or silly) for the WA to insist that member nations teach their peoples how the WA works when the WA hasn't yet required that those nations teach their peoples how their own national governments work?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:53 am

Support. Enterprising students will be able to find more then enough information regarding the WA. Forcing nations to take an active part in a Model World Assembly sounds too self-congradulatory...and a violation of GAR#9, but nobody seems to be listening to tthat...

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:51 pm

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: How about mentioning the point that I raised during the MWA resolution's own drafting thread, i.e. that it seems rather presumptuous (or silly) for the WA to insist that member nations teach their peoples how the WA works when the WA hasn't yet required that those nations teach their peoples how their own national governments work?

OOC: I'll look into that and revise my draft.
Separatist Peoples wrote:Support. Enterprising students will be able to find more then enough information regarding the WA. Forcing nations to take an active part in a Model World Assembly sounds too self-congradulatory...and a violation of GAR#9, but nobody seems to be listening to tthat...

Indeed. Thank you for your support.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:11 pm

Stupendous. Let's wipe this bullshit off the books as soon as it passes, and never speak of it again.

Please let me know if my assistance is needed in any way.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Stupendous. Let's wipe this bullshit off the books as soon as it passes, and never speak of it again.

Please let me know if my assistance is needed in any way.

If the urge to add comments at any point strikes you, feel free. In two days and six hours I will be putting forth my efforts to submit and campaign to send this resolution to the void.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Copenhagen Metropolis
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Copenhagen Metropolis » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:19 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:"The resolution does not effect any significant or even mild level of change (...)"

effect < affect ;)

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:27 pm

Copenhagen Metropolis wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:"The resolution does not effect any significant or even mild level of change (...)"

effect < affect ;)

No, effect is correct.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:38 pm

No, it isn't. "Affect" is the verb; "effect" is a noun.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives