NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "A Model World Assembly"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Noting that oftentimes resolutions are brought to the floor which are intended to further the betterment of mankind,

"Yes, yes..."

Believing that such resolutions are noble in nature, but not always necessary or effective,

"Hear, hear!"

Recognizes the following flaws in GAR 165
  • The General Assembly already dictates that nations must teach their students about international and national affairs, meaning students are already taught about the "Festering Snakepit",

With all due respect, this seem silly. Unless this repeal attempt is satirical in nature, I'd recommend removing it.

• The resolution does not effect any significant or even mild level of change upon educational systems by encouraging them to partake in a "simulation", although it may cause significant problems when nations' educational philosophies are based around other methods of learning,

• A red bell went off as Dr. Forshaw's aides began scrambling in a panic, his deputy ambassador taking refuge under her desk. Dr. Forshaw's face turned a bright shade of red as his forehead began pulsating, and through an arched eyebrow, he hollered "I should hope you aren't subliminally mentioning how a member-state's educational philosophy supersedes the decision of the WA, because such arguments have no place in any repeal."

• A resolution based around introducing a simulated conference into school districts is simply not worth the time and cost to enforce on both the national and international level,

• "Wah, wah, wah, I don't want to enforce this because it takes time. Wah, wah, wah."

• The clause which requires the transporting of children to the WAHQ assumes that the WAHQ will not be legislated out of existence,

• OOC: I'm not sure if it's legal to repeal the resolution constructing the WAHQ, and even if it was...

GAR#X creates committee A.
    GAR#Y uses committee A.
    Repeal X repeals GAR#X.
    Committee A remains to serve its purpose under GAR#Y.

Further believing that the WA has suffered from a distinct lack of common sense, thereby showing that simulating it is not necessarily a good learning method,

Due to these enumerated reasons,

The World Assembly hereby repeals GAR 165, 'A Model World Assembly'

I'm all for it - however, none of the arguments in this repeal are valid.
    Last edited by Connopolis on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    From the office of,
    Mrs. Pamela Howell
    GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Mallorea and Riva
    Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
    Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:08 pm

Connopolis wrote:
    Noting that oftentimes resolutions are brought to the floor which are intended to further the betterment of mankind,

"Yes, yes..."

Believing that such resolutions are noble in nature, but not always necessary or effective,

"Hear, hear!"

• The General Assembly already dictates that nations must teach their students about international and national affairs, meaning students are already taught about the "Festering Snakepit",

With all due respect, this seem silly. Unless this repeal attempt is satirical in nature, I'd recommend removing it.

The reason the line is in there is valid. It is not satirical, it counters the resolutions power to teach about the WA.

Connopolis wrote:
  • The resolution does not effect any significant or even mild level of change upon educational systems by encouraging them to partake in a "simulation", although it may cause significant problems when nations' educational philosophies are based around other methods of learning,

• A red bell went off as Dr. Forshaw's aides began scrambling in a panic, his deputy ambassador taking refuge under her desk. Dr. Forshaw's face turned a bright shade of red as his forehead began pulsating, and through an arched eyebrow, he hollered "I should hope you aren't subliminally mentioning how a member-state's educational philosophy supersedes the decision of the WA, because such arguments have no place in any repeal."

The decisions of the WA have already dictated educational philosophy, so another resolution designed to teach about the WA is completely pointless.

Connopolis wrote:
  • A resolution based around introducing a simulated conference into school districts is simply not worth the time and cost to enforce on both the national and international level,

• "Wah, wah, wah, I don't want to enforce this because it takes time. Wah, wah, wah."

I don't want to enforce this because it is absolutely pointless and a waste of funds. The time aspect just adds to the ludicrous nature of the resolution.

Connopolis wrote:
  • The clause which requires the transporting of children to the WAHQ assumes that the WAHQ will not be legislated out of existence,

• OOC: I'm not sure if it's legal to repeal the resolution constructing the WAHQ, and even if it was...

GAR#X creates committee A.
    GAR#Y uses committee A.
    Repeal X repeals GAR#X.
    Committee A remains to serve its purpose under GAR#Y.

It is legal to repeal. It is 100% legal to repeal. We are not talking about a committee which was made, it is a building. It is a direct reference to past resolutions, a HoC violation which should have made the original DOA.

Connopolis wrote:Further believing that the WA has suffered from a distinct lack of common sense, thereby showing that simulating it is not necessarily a good learning method,

The World Assembly hereby repeals GAR 165, 'A Model World Assembly'[/box]

I'm all for it - however, none of the arguments in this repeal are valid.[/quote]

Obviously we disagree.
    Ideological Bulwark #253
    Retired Major of The Black Hawks
    Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
    Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
    Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
    Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
    Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
    Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
    Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Connopolis
    Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
    Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:17 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:The reason the line is in there is valid. It is not satirical, it counters the resolutions power to teach about the WA.

It is satirical, as it implies that teaching about the WA is inherently bad, which it's not.

The decisions of the WA have already dictated educational philosophy, so another resolution designed to teach about the WA is completely pointless.

That's not a reason to repeal it. If Rights of Sapient Beings had passed (written by the delegation of Bears Armed), then I hardly doubt it would be a compelling argument to repeal it due to the fact that "[S]apient equality has been covered in prior resolutions..." The argument is a non-sequitur, and has no place in a serious repeal.

I don't want to enforce this because it is absolutely pointless and a waste of funds. The time aspect just adds to the ludicrous nature of the resolution.

OOC: My school participates in the national MUN, and the price the school itself must pay is under $350 for over 40 high school kids. The majority of the cost comes from the students, and as such, that arguments totally false.

It is legal to repeal. It is 100% legal to repeal. We are not talking about a committee which was made, it is a building. It is a direct reference to past resolutions, a HoC violation which should have made the original DOA.

That's wholly incorrect. If that was true at all, then the original MWA would be illegal, and would never have been allowed to pass. Even if it was legal to repeal the WAHQ, it would still remain to serve its purpose under other legislation.

Obviously we disagree.

Yours in duh,
    Last edited by Connopolis on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    From the office of,
    Mrs. Pamela Howell
    GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Mallorea and Riva
    Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Connopolis wrote:
    Mallorea and Riva wrote:The reason the line is in there is valid. It is not satirical, it counters the resolutions power to teach about the WA.

It is satirical, as it implies that teaching about the WA is inherently bad, which it's not.

While others have made that argument, the wording of my argument is different. My argument is that past legislation has already covered this issue sufficiently.

Connopolis wrote:

That's not a reason to repeal it. If Rights of Sapient Beings had passed (written by the delegation of Bears Armed), then I hardly doubt it would be a compelling argument to repeal it due to the fact that "[S]apient equality has been covered in prior resolutions..." The argument is a non-sequitur, and has no place in a serious repeal.

It has every place in a serious repeal. This is frivolous legislation.

Connopolis wrote:

OOC: My school participates in the national MUN, and the price the school itself must pay is under $350 for over 40 high school kids. The majority of the cost comes from the students, and as such, that arguments totally false.

OOC: You could have probably done this IC. But when the school or students cannot afford the cost, and when you multiply your school by a factor of ten or ten thousand, you begin to see the problem.

Connopolis wrote:

That's wholly incorrect. If that was true at all, then the original MWA would be illegal, and would never have been allowed to pass. Even if it was legal to repeal the WAHQ, it would still remain to serve its purpose under other legislation.

It was still a HoC. And it makes no sense to say that the WAHQ no longer exists, but the building is still being used in an official function.

Connopolis wrote:
    Further believing that the WA has suffered from a distinct lack of common sense, thereby showing that simulating it is not necessarily a good learning method,

Yours in duh,

Yours in the inevitability of my eventual success,
    Ideological Bulwark #253
    Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
    Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Murray the Evil Skull
    Envoy

Founded: Mar 17, 2006
    Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Murray the Evil Skull » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:29 pm

"You have my support mortal! As soon as this stupid resolution is off the books the better!"
    Last edited by Murray the Evil Skull on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Murray the Evil Skull for WA Leader!
    In your heart, you know He's right!

Warning: the player posts in Character, and will respond in Character.

Mallorea and Riva
    Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:30 pm

Murray the Evil Skull wrote:"You have my support mortal! As soon as this stupid resolution is off the books the better!"

Your support is much appreciated.
    Ideological Bulwark #253

Darenjo
    Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
    Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:43 pm

Anything with this title gets Darenjo's support.
    Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Goobergunchia
    Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
    Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:05 pm

Due to the passage of time, we withdraw our objection to this proposal on the grounds that it is not timely. We have not yet come to a position on its merits.

[Lord] Michael Evif
    Goobergunchian WA Ambassador
    Citizen of the Rejected Realms

Mallorea and Riva
    Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:27 pm

Goobergunchia wrote:Due to the passage of time, we withdraw our objection to this proposal on the grounds that it is not timely. We have not yet come to a position on its merits.

[Lord] Michael Evif
    Goobergunchian WA Ambassador
    Citizen of the Rejected Realms

Any and all input will be carefully considered Honored Ambassador.
    Ideological Bulwark #253

Mahaj
    Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
    Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:00 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
    Mahaj wrote:YOU AGAIN

Hehehehe yes me again :hug:

:hug: Good to see you around.
    Aal Izz Well: UDL
    <Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
    Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
    <@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
    <+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
    <+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Mallorea and Riva
    Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:12 am

Mahaj wrote:
    Mallorea and Riva wrote:Hehehehe yes me again :hug:

:hug: Good to see you around.

It's good to be back. All you intfeds have been far too prosperous in my absence. Time to start trimming the fat.
    Ideological Bulwark #253

Antarctic Connopolis
    Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
    Ex-Nation

Postby Antarctic Connopolis » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Repeal GAR 165, 'A Model World Assembly"

The World Assembly,

• The General Assembly already dictates that nations must teach their students about international and national
      affairs, meaning students are already taught about the "Festering Snakepit",

Concerned that GAR#165 states, in relevant part:
    "REQUIRES member nations to educate people about the role and doings of the World Assembly,"

Convinced that this clause alone provides the potential for gross misuse due to the lack of clarity regarding the term "people"; GAR#165 does not specify whether "people" refers to the populace, or a select group of individuals - as such, member-states are not required to teach the entirety of their constituents about the World Assembly, should the member-state's administration define people as the latter of the aforementioned definitions.

Adamant that the lack of clarity effectively negates the initial purpose of the resolution - "[T]o improve the world..." - and instead, creates a layer of bureaucracy, the function which is quite unclear,

Hoping to legislate upon the issue in the future in the form of a stronger, more specific resolution,

Co-authored by [nation=short]Connopolis[/nation]

Mallorea and Riva
    Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Antarctic Connopolis wrote:
    Repeal GAR 165, 'A Model World Assembly"

The World Assembly,

• The General Assembly already dictates that nations must teach their students about international and national
      affairs, meaning students are already taught about the "Festering Snakepit",
    • The clause which dictates who must be taught about the WA is so vague that it does not specify whether "people" refers to the populace, or a select group of individuals - as such, member-states are not required to teach the entirety of their constituents about the World Assembly, should the member-state's administration define people as the latter of the aforementioned definitions.

Adamant that the lack of clarity effectively negates the initial purpose of the resolution - "[T]o improve the world..." - and instead, creates a layer of bureaucracy, the function which is quite unclear,

Hoping that future legislation upon the issue will be in the future in the form of a more specific resolution,

Co-authored by [nation=short]Connopolis[/nation]
    Ideological Bulwark #253

Mallorea and Riva
    Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Connopolis and I have combined our drafts to make a single run at this resolution. As such he is listed as a co-author, and obviously I was given permission to use the excerpts from his resolution.
    Ideological Bulwark #253

Moronist Decisions
    Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
    Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:57 pm

The resolution does not effect any significant or even mild level of change upon educational systems by encouraging them to partake in a "simulation", although it may cause significant problems when nations' educational philosophies are based around other methods of learning,

Would this be challenged as being a "category/strength failure" and thus implying that the original resolution is illegal (and hence make this proposal illegal for mentioning illegalities)?

Not that this stops me from agreeing with this. The Lion in Council will approve this without a doubt.

Jane Crick
    Alternate Member of the Council of Morons
    Minister of Foreign Affairs
    Chief Representative to the World Assembly
    Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
    Ideological Bulwark #255
    IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Mallorea and Riva
    Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Moronist Decisions wrote:
    The resolution does not effect any significant or even mild level of change upon educational systems by encouraging them to partake in a "simulation", although it may cause significant problems when nations' educational philosophies are based around other methods of learning,

Would this be challenged as being a "category/strength failure" and thus implying that the original resolution is illegal (and hence make this proposal illegal for mentioning illegalities)?

Not that this stops me from agreeing with this. The Lion in Council will approve this without a doubt.

Jane Crick
    Alternate Member of the Council of Morons
    Minister of Foreign Affairs
    Chief Representative to the World Assembly

It is not blatant enough to warrant illegality, and is more meant to point out the fact that this resolution is pointless. Your support is much appreciated.
    Ideological Bulwark #253

Mallorea and Riva
    Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Any suggestions before a submission?
    Ideological Bulwark #253

Astro-Malsitari WA Seat
    Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
    Ex-Nation

Postby Astro-Malsitari WA Seat » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:43 pm

I feel like this:
    "The General Assembly already dictates that nations must teach their students about international and national
    affairs, meaning students are already taught about the "Festering Snakepit", "
    will likely be one of those things that everybody takes issue with in the debate even when there's no issue.
    Just a feeling.

Also, this:
    "Hoping that future legislation upon the issue will be in the future in the form of a more specific resolution,"
    is somewhat awkwardly worded.
    Representing the interests of Malsitar and Astrolinium in the World Assembly
    | The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium | Ambassador to the WA: Dr. Giovanni Romero, PhD | Chief Justice and Vice Magister of The South |
    | The Unified Federal Republics of Malsitar | Ambassador to the WA: Dr. Chandler Whitt, LLD | Citizen of Spiritus |
    And of course, Giovanni's illegitimate child and everyone's favorite pervy teen, Melvin Ruiz Walsh-Romero!

Mahaj
    Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:54 pm

The General Assembly already dictates that nations must teach their students about international and national
    affairs, meaning students are already taught about the World Assembly,

This isn't actually true.
    <Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
    Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
    <+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Mallorea and Riva
    Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Mahaj wrote:
    The General Assembly already dictates that nations must teach their students about international and national

1. Declares that all citizens have the right to be educated, and thus be provided with the following capabilities through some sort of variation of edification:
    • A familiarity with their nation’s governmental policies, processes, civics, rights and freedoms;
    • A fair and impartial recollection of historical national and international events, politics and society;

Oh but it is.
    Ideological Bulwark #253

Mahaj
    Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:13 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
    Mahaj wrote:

1. Declares that all citizens have the right to be educated, and thus be provided with the following capabilities through some sort of variation of edification:
    • A familiarity with their nation’s governmental policies, processes, civics, rights and freedoms;
    • A fair and impartial recollection of historical national and international events, politics and society;

Oh but it is.

The key word is HISTORICAL. That means not current events.

Mallorea and Riva
    Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Mahaj wrote:
    Mallorea and Riva wrote:

Oh but it is.

The key word is HISTORICAL. That means not current events.

Your Model World Assembly does not teach students anything about current events within the WA. It merely is "HOPING that with the creation of MWA, more children will be interested in the WA and more educated about the WA." The students are already educated about the WA.
    Ideological Bulwark #253

Mahaj
    Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
    Mahaj wrote:The key word is HISTORICAL. That means not current events.

Your Model World Assembly does not teach students anything about current events within the WA. It merely is "HOPING that with the creation of MWA, more children will be interested in the WA and more educated about the WA." The students are already educated about the WA.

Admittedly that might be a flaw. But that doesn't mean current events of the WA are covered elsewhere.

Moronist Decisions
    Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
    Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:20 pm

should cover the WA adequately, I suspect.

Joe Smyslow
    Director of International Mayhem
    Charges d'Affaires ad Interim
    Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
    Ideological Bulwark #255
    IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Mahaj
    Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:21 pm

Moronist Decisions wrote:

should cover the WA adequately, I suspect.

Joe Smyslow
    Director of International Mayhem
    Charges d'Affaires ad Interim

I believe Ard already stated it wouldn't necessarily cover it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives