NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Commend A mean old man

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zarkanians
Senator

Founded: Sep 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zarkanians » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:10 am

Balaerica wrote:So what you are all saying is that as long as a nation writes a lot of WA resolutions, and cans a lot of raiders, they can be an abusive dictator committing mass murder against it's populace? That's immoral and ridiculous!

Zarkanians wrote:
Zarkanians does not see what this has to do with AMOM's contributions to the NationStates community.

If all votes were made in-character, Zarkanians would be against everything. It isn't, and Security Council votes should not be made in character to prevent bias regarding the state of the state.
Thought and Memory each morning fly
Over the vast earth:
Thought, I fear, may fail to return,
But I fear more for Memory.

Matmalia
Attaché

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Matmalia » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:22 am

Why should votes be made OOC? :? It's a game. A mean old man, as a player (OOC), already has good reputation of being active in the WA but, as a nation (IC), is normally commended or blamed by moral and political stances of other nations. Once more: it's a game. And a bit of conflict between democratic and dictatorial nations is part of the game.

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Matmalia wrote:Why should votes be made OOC?
They don't have to be, if you want to vote IC you can. But most of them are in the SC. Always has been that way. Just about every proposal is written for OOC reasons, like this one.

As you said, it is a game, and not all of us play it ICly. I have never RPed and only vaguely acknowledge that 'Topid' is a nation (and I only acknowledge that for GA purposes).
AKA Weed

Metania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 31, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Metania » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Indeed, because it is a game, we choose to play it more OOC-wise in the SC. You're free to dislike it, but, given how votes go, OOC-style carries the day on this resolution.

On the other hand, you might be able to also write an IC-style resolution condemning him for his nation's dictatorship and get that passed as well. :twisted:
Determination Overcomes Adversity
Jul

Skyrim Diplomacy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyrim Diplomacy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:06 pm

Metania wrote:Indeed, because it is a game, we choose to play it more OOC-wise in the SC. You're free to dislike it, but, given how votes go, OOC-style carries the day on this resolution.

On the other hand, you might be able to also write an IC-style resolution condemning him for his nation's dictatorship and get that passed as well. :twisted:

I wouldn't approve it, that's for sure :lol2:

Ginet
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Ginet » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:52 pm

Even those of us who play ICly can legitimately commend AMOM. I regard his work in Osiris as international relations, and his good work there is more important, at least to Ginet, than his internal oppression.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

On my commendation...

Postby A mean old man » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:50 pm

I would have posted this in the thread that was archived less than a day after the resolution passed, but this will have to suffice...

I'd like to thank all the people who supported my commendation for their kind words and for their approval of my work. I'd also like to thank SkyDip; he did manage to pull this off (with remarkable success), unlike those who tried previously, and while there were grammatical errors in the text that I was dying to be a pest about, I kept my urges at bay and managed, for the most part, to sit this out and watch it unfold.

SkyDip started this with little knowledge of the details of my achievements. I didn't make it particularly easy for him to learn a lot about them, either. In fact, I pretty much forced him to go do research and interviewing for himself rather than come to me for the nice, clear-cut, processed version of my own history. So I applaud his efforts; he put up with my shit and didn't give up. Good work, SkyDip.

I'd also like to thank everyone I've worked with in the past (and present) and/or who has played a fairly large role in my NS career. N-S, TCO, Aven Dale, Bradiak, Kalibarr, Todd, SB/Carta/TSPers, Krull & the NPO, 10kI, UniSedgeTopid, et cetera, et cetera.
Oh, Hell, I'll even throw AO in there, foul as that place may be.

Also, the MPA thing is partially my own fault. I told SkyDip that it was the only "successful" pan-feeder alliance when he added it to the commendation soon before it was submitted, and I should have been clearer and told him that other pacts between feeders had been created in the past but none that actually took off and formed a group like the MPA Assembly and none that really lasted. I suppose it is partly due to my subjective comment on it that the slightly off base wording of that clause exists.

Hence why I shouldn't be involved in providing material for my own commendation. If that was the result of one comment out of me, God knows what would have happened if I hadn't forced SkyDip to work his ass off figuring out everything else.
:p

Also, a nice big fuck you to whichever retarded goon out there tried to steal my nation while this was all going on. Nice try; I think you'll find my passwords to be more of a challenge than you can handle.

...and I will NEVER, NEVER, EVER give my people any civil rights or political freedoms.

:twisted:

EDIT: Also, a shout out to JURISDICTIONS, for his failed attempt and his continued support. Despite the outcome and despite the circumstances, you meant well.
Last edited by A mean old man on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:59 pm

I voted for it, and you deserve it considering what I have seen of your work. :)
...and I will NEVER, NEVER, EVER give my people any civil rights or political freedoms.
I became an anarchy some how, not sure how that happened. I am waiting for the issue that allows me to crush the biker gangs. :palm:
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Ctrl+F "Codger". *Skips thread*

Now I can't make any more jokes about you only doing things so you can add more deeds for a commend. :(

It must be strange living in your in character world though, your citizens wake up everyday for more oppression yet they read the newspapers and hear about their grand leader getting off doing some great act on the world stage...
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:41 pm

I swear if AMOM ever does something horribly bad and gets his commendation repealed, this thread will be referenced.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:01 pm

Mahaj wrote:I swear if AMOM ever does something horribly bad and gets his commendation repealed, this thread will be referenced.

Such an act would be hubris, which is my undoing. I'll keep myself under control.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:41 am

Warzone Codger wrote:It must be strange living in your in character world though, your citizens wake up everyday for more oppression yet they read the newspapers and hear about their grand leader getting off doing some great act on the world stage...

OOC: That's happened enough in RL, after all in countries like that the newspapers can only get away with printing what the leader wants them to print anyway...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Metania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 31, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Metania » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:59 pm

It was a long time in coming, for sure.

Now if only I could do anything noteworthy at all in the SC. :meh:
Determination Overcomes Adversity
Jul

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads