NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Law of the Sea"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Altani Confederacy
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Altani Confederacy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:15 am

We are opposed to this repeal, as we do not find the arguments against the original resolution very convincing or compelling, and are also troubled that this could resurrect previously settled boundary issues until such time as an acceptable replacement is actually passed. We will vote in accordance with our regional decision on this, but do not anticipate it being approved by our residents.

-Sophie Fournier, Delegate of Lavinium and Confederate WA Ambassador
The Commonwealth of Independent Nations - Many lands, many peoples, one Commonwealth
Commonwealth factbook | newswire
_________________________________________________________________________________
Delegate of Lavinium - Diversity, Equality, Prosperity
Regional wiki | Regional webpage | Regional news service

Wooookiees
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wooookiees » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:53 am

As the Delegate for Yggdrasil, I fully believe in this resolution.

I look forward to seeing the drafts for the new legislation.
WA Delegate and Lord Chancellor of Yggdrasil

Without doubt - the hairier, the better.

Palentine WA Office
Secretary

Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Palentine WA Office » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:27 am

Opposed as the arguements for the repeal are spurrious and foolish!

However should the repeal pass, my government is considering parking some U-boats...err...subermersible craft inside the no longer "territorial waters" of the authors' nations and randomly start sinking said nation's fishing vessels and merchant shipping....just for shits and giggles.

Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
another Fine Yeldan Puppet™

Dizyntk
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:34 am

Palentine WA Office wrote:Opposed as the arguements for the repeal are spurrious and foolish!

However should the repeal pass, my government is considering parking some U-boats...err...subermersible craft inside the no longer "territorial waters" of the authors' nations and randomly start sinking said nation's fishing vessels and merchant shipping....just for shits and giggles.

Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla

"Then you may as well get their engines warmed up. By all indications, this thing is going to win by a large majority."
Dizyntk WA Ambassador Princess Feyalisa Zerleen Profile
What is a Dizyntk you ask? Dizyntk Info
Cyanka is the Dizyntk year and is equal to 18 earth months. Do your own math.

Destructor Bunnies
Envoy

Founded: Nov 21, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Destructor Bunnies » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:01 am

We're not in the habit of supporting legislation sponsored by nations that are avowed enemies of ours, therefore there is no need for us to analyse the "merits" of the repeal. We oppose it on principle.

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:06 am

Palentine WA Office wrote:However should the repeal pass, my government is considering parking some U-boats...err...subermersible craft inside the no longer "territorial waters" of the authors' nations and randomly start sinking said nation's fishing vessels and merchant shipping....just for shits and giggles.

We thank you for the interest in visiting but wish to inform you that the Goddess Relief Office is not a nation, but an office located in Heaven, floating above the skies somewhere in the middle of Yggdrasil.
Keeper of The World Tree - Yggdrasil
General Assembly:
GA#053 - Epidemic Response Act
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS
GA#223 - Transboundary Water Use Act

Security Council:
SC#030 - Commend 10000 Islands (co-author)
SC#044 - Commend Texas (co-author)
SC#066 - Repeal "Liberate Wonderful Paradise"
SC#108 - Liberate South Pacific
SC#135 - Liberate Anarchy (co-author)
SC#139 - Repeal "Liberate South Pacific"

Former delegate and retired defender
Nice links for easy reference:
Passed WA Resolutions | GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | GA Rules

The Altani Confederacy
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Altani Confederacy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:06 am

Palentine WA Office wrote:Opposed as the arguements for the repeal are spurrious and foolish!

Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla

Perhaps resurrecting the old concept of issuing letters of marque and reprisal is in order here, eh, Senator Sulla?

- Sophie Fournier etc.
The Commonwealth of Independent Nations - Many lands, many peoples, one Commonwealth
Commonwealth factbook | newswire
_________________________________________________________________________________
Delegate of Lavinium - Diversity, Equality, Prosperity
Regional wiki | Regional webpage | Regional news service

Destructor Bunnies
Envoy

Founded: Nov 21, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Destructor Bunnies » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:09 am

Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla

Senator, I admire your restraint in waiting to see if the repeal will pass. However we see no need for such niceties and will immediately commence operations against the shipping interests of the sponsors of this legislation.

South Pacific Belschaft
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby South Pacific Belschaft » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:23 pm

This repeal has the support of the South Pacific :)
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF BELSCHAFT
GUARDIAN OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

With the cooperation of Federation Forces, all of your bases now belong to us.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Suddenly the great doors to the General Assembly swing open, and rows of attractive (and rather busty) women in militaristic garb begin marching smartly down the aisles toward the dais. At once some of the diplomats begin pointing and murmuring excitedly, for these women were no strangers to this assembly, nor the world. Though they have nary been seen at the WA since the infamous "Gestapo debacle of 2010" (incidentally, also sponsored by Cobdenia), the "SS Commandos," or as they are more commonly known, Stripper Commandos, are renowned throughout the world as the sexy, slutty defenders of the Kennyite republic. Calmly the ladies take their places in neat rows extending from the podium at the front of the chamber. Some of their audience are gazing expectantly at them, as though anticipating a little dance to lighten the mood, but these are grave times, and the girls have no time for dancing.

Presently their commanding officer, Jenny Chiang, now Captain Chiang, seizes the podium, and begins to address the international community:

Members of the World Assembly, my girls and I have come to this august chamber as a show of support in this tense crisis. The Federal Republic stands with you in this ongoing dispute with the United Nations. Indeed, we have seen what the UN is willing to do when they don't get their way (including but not limited to arson), and we pledge to you tonight: the continued aggression of the UN will not stand! Why, as soon as we heard that the UN had limited WA members' access to their territorial waters, presumably to disable them in the instance of a sea-based attack, our very first thought was that we had to do something to fight it--

An aid appears at her side and whispers urgently into her ear.

What's this? The UN hasn't restricted territorial waters; the WA has, only the resolution accidentally stated "United Nations" instead of "World Assembly"?

The aid whispers in reply.

And now they're trying to repeal the resolution on that basis, even though Resolution #1 clearly states that the UN is now the WA? ... That is beyond retarded!

Chiang turns back to the assembly:

You're on your own, losers!

And with that, the captain and her her able- and tight-bodied underlings march quietly from the chamber, divesting themselves of this ridiculous fiasco and its deceitfully mischievous sponsors.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Suddenly the great doors to the General Assembly swing open, and rows of attractive (and rather busty) women in militaristic garb begin marching smartly down the aisles toward the dais. At once some of the diplomats begin pointing and murmuring excitedly, for these women were no strangers to this assembly, nor the world. Though they have nary been seen at the WA since the infamous "Gestapo debacle of 2010" (incidentally, also sponsored by Cobdenia), the "SS Commandos," or as they are more commonly known, Stripper Commandos, are renowned throughout the world as the sexy, slutty defenders of the Kennyite republic. Calmly the ladies take their places in neat rows extending from the podium at the front of the chamber. Some of their audience are gazing expectantly at them, as though anticipating a little dance to lighten the mood, but these are grave times, and the girls have no time for dancing.

Presently their commanding officer, Jenny Chiang, now Captain Chiang, seizes the podium, and begins to address the international community:

Members of the World Assembly, my girls and I have come to this august chamber as a show of support in this tense crisis. The Federal Republic stands with you in this ongoing dispute with the United Nations. Indeed, we have seen what the UN is willing to do when they don't get their way (including but not limited to arson), and we pledge to you tonight: the continued aggression of the UN will not stand! Why, as soon as we heard that the UN had limited WA members' access to their territorial waters, presumably to disable them in the instance of a sea-based attack, our very first thought was that we had to do something to fight it--

What's this? The UN hasn't restricted territorial waters; the WA has, only the resolution accidentally stated "United Nations" instead of "World Assembly"?

And now they're trying to repeal the resolution on that basis, even though Resolution #1 clearly states that the UN is now the WA? ... That is beyond retarded!

And with that, the captain and her her able- and tight-bodied underlings march quietly from the chamber, divesting themselves of this ridiculous fiasco and its deceitfully mischievous sponsors.

"I move the stripper's remarks and lack of gyrating be stricken from the records!"

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:29 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:

The great doors to the General Assembly hall burst open once again, this time thrown apart by a formidable figure clad in a suit of intricate and spectacular armor boasting the colors of the New Pacific Order. After a few moments of squinting at the gleaming, armor-clad man, the ambassadors within the hall recognized him as none other than A mean old man, co-author of the resolution at vote, fabled curmudgeon, and Fairly-Important-Person-Around-Here-These-DaysTM. He glared at the men and women surrounding him and boomed:

"Did I just hear what I thought I heard from within this hall?"

The hall remained silent, the ambassadors motionless.

"Was that ridiculous troupe of Kennyite GA whores prancing about in here and mouthing off without a single rotten potato thrown or a single flamethrower ignited against them?"

The ambassadors looked down at the floor in shame.

"I am disappointed in all of you! If you see any of those Kennyites within this building, it is tradition - it is duty - to take arms against them and make a display of violence and ridiculousness within the confines of this building that matches none seen ever before!"

The mean old man turned towards a section of the hall which just so happened to be the point from where the player behind the nation reading this post was viewing the scene from within their imagination, and coincidentally stared directly into said player's eyes. Of course, he was not aware of this, nor was he aware that there were, in fact, "players behind the nations," as this would breach the fourth wall and thus cause this post to become highly illogical. Staring, completely coincidentally, of course, into the player behind the nation's face, he shouted:

"I am also highly agitated that these Kennyites have the sheer nerve to draw out what should be a one-line, completely out-of-character response to something they find necessary to express disdain for and turn it into some kind of ludicrous and utterly botched attempt to roleplay!"

As he said this, the fourth wall collapsed and the GA assembly hall was sucked into the fearsome Vortex of Paradox, the internet nether world from which no character has been known to escape without irreversible distortion.
Last edited by A mean old man on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:59 pm

The Anti-Godmod Squad attached to the Alqanian Permanent Representation, lurking in the shadows of the chamber, quickly assumed position and aimed the Representation's secret weapon, the IgnorinatorTM, at A mean old man. Upon activation, the weapon emitted a beam that hit A mean old man and a split second later, he no longer existed.

Phase one completed, the Anti-Godmod Squad placed what looked like a jack-in-the-box on the floor. This was another secret weapon, the RetconnoisseurTM. One Squad member turned the crank, which prompted the melody to "If I Could Turn Back Time" to be played. After a few turns, the box opened and a bright light engulfed the chamber.

As the light faded, the chamber was as it was before A mean old man had entered. Only this time, he didn't.
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Lowell Leber
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:18 pm

"Despite the most recent outlandish behavior in these halls, we still must all consider the issue at hand. Should this resolution be repealed? I think not, namely for the sake of stability. If the Law of the Sea were to be repealed before a replacement was in quere, than there would likely be a rush by many nations to claim territory, by force or fraud. Furthurmore, my nation sees the territorial limits established by this act to be more than reasonable, as is the method for dispute resolution. Opposed!"-Abigail McGuire, High Commissoner for WA Affairs.
IC The Leberite Empire

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

Opaloka
Envoy

Founded: May 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Opaloka » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:06 pm

Unfortunately the defence of opalokan territorial waters & they shall remain our territorial waters regardless of this misguided repeal, rests on the hands of our orbital weapons platforms or the GLORY. So should this pass be warned approach us without clearance at your peril!

The peace loving but long suffering people of Opaloka thank you for your attention.
'Truth is the greatest of all national possessions. A state, a people, a system which suppresses the truth or fears to publish it, deserves to collapse!' Kurt Eisner

Judge for yourself international socialists democratic practice, socialist values & a comprehensive Start! Guide. Join IS!

A Captain of The Red Fleet.

Political compass: Econ' L/R -9.25 Social Lib/Auth' -7.18

Firestorm0901
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Firestorm0901 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:27 pm

I am appalled that this is even at VOTE! This should have been killed in draft format. You all know that if this act is repealed, this could lead to a Hundreds of armed conflicts before a new resolution of laws can be put into place, versus the small number of any wars that are presently proceeding. If you have a grievance, bring it before the World Assembly Nautical Commission. In addition instead of repealing, Amend it instead with another act. This repeal will cause more problems than fix. I voted for this when it was created and I am firmly opposed to this horrible appeal.

Dizyntk
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:34 pm

Firestorm0901 wrote:I am appalled that this is even at VOTE! This should have been killed in draft format. You all know that if this act is repealed, this could lead to a Hundreds of armed conflicts before a new resolution of laws can be put into place, versus the small number of any wars that are presently proceeding. If you have a grievance, bring it before the World Assembly Nautical Commission. In addition instead of repealing, Amend it instead with another act. This repeal will cause more problems than fix. I voted for this when it was created and I am firmly opposed to this horrible appeal.

"I would point out to the Ambassador that we are prohibited from ammending resolutions in any manner."
Dizyntk WA Ambassador Princess Feyalisa Zerleen Profile
What is a Dizyntk you ask? Dizyntk Info
Cyanka is the Dizyntk year and is equal to 18 earth months. Do your own math.

The Grand Ocean
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grand Ocean » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:54 pm

Unless there is a new resolution written up, I'm against it. I see no need to repeal it. Unless I see a link to this "new" resolution being written up, I'm against it.
Full Blooded Texan Socialist (I know right?)

Patriotism is loving your country so much that you'd be willing to rebel against it.

Apokolyptico United
Political Columnist

Founded: May 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

HEED THIS WORD

Postby Apokolyptico United » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:23 pm

I cant agree with this action. the tightly knitted waters on the shores of each country rightfully belong to that country. Yet i would note my fellow nations that the right of passage should be protected to allow free travel of these waters. I ask of every single country to not give into such a liberal an over reaching international actions. the risk as some have pointed out of increased conflicts an pirate activity are only the beginning of soon to be seen evils.

Askagardlandia
Civilian

Founded: Aug 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Law of the sea

Postby Askagardlandia » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:48 pm

I think the proposal of the law of sea is rather a good idea because it will improve the treatments of safety and order in our world today. And also it can bring to a major international cooperation amongst us. For that reason, I accept this law without any conditions at all.

Canadian Davsland
Minister

Founded: Feb 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Canadian Davsland » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:50 pm

I agree, 100%.
I support Left Wing Socialism, and I am Anti Capitalism, I support Egalitarianism, and I support Socialist Libertarianism. I also believe corporatism is a poison in the world, and is unfair to the poor and middle class.

SOCIALISTS OF NATIONSTATES, UNITE!!!
I am a Supporter of the Anti-austerity strikes and Left Wing Socialist parties in Europe. Socialism is the system of the people.
Economic Left/Right: -10.00, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.27

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:55 pm

Askagardlandia wrote:I think the proposal of the law of sea is rather a good idea because it will improve the treatments of safety and order in our world today. And also it can bring to a major international cooperation amongst us. For that reason, I accept this law without any conditions at all.

"Your Excellency is aware of course that this is an attempt to repeal that law and a 'yes' vote would be a vote against the Law of Sea."
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Firestorm0901 wrote:...You all know that if this act is repealed, this could lead to a Hundreds of armed conflicts before a new resolution of laws can be put into place, versus the small number of any wars that are presently proceeding...

Libraria and Ausitoria will continue to act as though following present borders under unwritten international law notwithstanding the fact that the written part may be repealed, and will be delighted to enforce this in alliance with our various neighbours.

Dizyntk wrote:"This is a good point, Ambassador. However we must point out that this will only work so long as the competeing claims come from WA member nations. As soon as the EEZ of any of our nations infringe onto a non-WA members claims then we see a very good likelihood of conflict. We thus suggest that these international waters serve as an important buffer zone."

While that is true, the present version of the law doesn't stop WA and non-WA disputes anyway: if WA members do not claim up to the line equidistant between the respective WA and non-WA members' coasts, the non-WA members may feel free to expand their claim to include all non-claimed waters. Certainly we would if we weren't in the WA. Therefore we the WA may as well simply unilaterally state our intention of dividing all of the waters fairly in that manner, and then enforce it.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Bronshom
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bronshom » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:46 pm

While the Empire would like to see a draft to replace the resolution in question, the Imperial Government stands fully behind this proposal, and as such casts its vote "aye". We are a small country as of yet, but one day we look forward to a world in which all countries are united in harmony, peace, and profit. In the meantime, we humbly propose that, in light of recent shenanigans, that personal guards and reality-bending devices be removed until the bill is passed. Thank you.
As proclaimed by the Iron King.
Ever Vigilant, Always True!

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Bronshom wrote:While the Empire would like to see a draft to replace the resolution in question...

Hear hear! Where's the redraft?
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives