NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] On Humanitarian Aid

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:15 am

Nullarni wrote:
Connopolis wrote:Reasonable Nation Theory. :eyebrow:

Why would you send all of your wounded soldiers to an encampment that is most likely small, cramped, short on supplies, and staffed by rudimentary medical professionals? Wouldn't it make more sense to hire military surgeons, as opposed to creating a scenario that is detrimental to the residents of the Humanity Aid Camp, and uncomfortable/dangerous to your own militants?

Its hyperbole. I am trying to demonstrate the absurdity of allowing- no, forcing humanitarian aid workers to treat soldiers engaged in combat. Humanitarian aid workers are not field medics.

I think somewhere along the line you got a couple ideas crossed. You started this legislation as a way to protect field medics, but now it is to protect humanitarian aid workers. Where you went wrong is you still kept the whole combat and warfare overtones.

"Humanitarian aid" is exclusively for civilians. Now, sometimes it is provided by soldiers, but it is not provided to soldiers.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, and I've already changed that clause to ensure that soldiers are not included under the resolution. I was simply acknowledging the fact that your statement was, as you said, hyperbole. Apparently, I never removed that from the draft after I altered the scope from field medics, to HAWs.

Yours,
Last edited by Connopolis on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Scandavian States
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Scandavian States » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:57 pm

[I'm so confused by the purpose of this legislation I don't know really where to begin. First off, aid workers have no business in an active war zone. Second, no nation in a state of conflict with another nation is going to guarantee the safety of aid workers when it conflicts with military operations; essentially, if they're stupid enough to get between two armies, on their head so be it.]

Luxativia
Envoy

Founded: Aug 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Luxativia » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:37 pm

AGAINST

Dreamer knights
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dreamer knights » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:26 pm

Helping those people who are caught between the fire isn't a bad idea, but like they said, where is going to be the neutral zone. there has to be a third party in the conflic willing to become the neutral zone.
If you believe in me doubt about me, if you doubt about me believe in me, becuase in the end I am a human.

The Sanger Dynasty
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Absurd clause

Postby The Sanger Dynasty » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:29 pm

Connopolis wrote:
FURTHER PROHIBITS humanitarian aid workers from intentionally entering conflict zones,

Sometimes it is necessary for humanitarian aid workers to enter conflict zones. Why? Because that is where casualties occur and you have to get them to a field hospital somehow.

Not only that but civilians do get wounded in conflict zones, especially in urban combat. Also that combat may cut civilians off from food, water, and power, therefore increasing the need for HAW inside conflict zones. And what happens if they come upon a wounded soldier in a combat zone or a unit asks them to take their wounded? Are they supposed to just leave them there??

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/arc ... 81603e.jpg

Red Cross workers in the Abu Salim district of Tripoli evacuating wounded. Abu Salim has recently been the scene of fierce fighting yet Red Cross still went in to get wounded out.

Vote NO on this resolution. It hinders aid workers from doing their job.
Last edited by The Sanger Dynasty on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darius Sanger, ArchDuke of White Haven and brother to the King of TSD, Knight Commander of TSD, Ambassador to the WA for TSD

Galborg
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galborg » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:06 am

Regular Geneva Convention: soldiers who know a bit of first-aid count as belligerents, they may be shot or POWed. Medics who are ONLY medics must carry no weapons and be obviously identifiable as civilians and must be treated as civilians,

What does the current Nation States convention say? That way we can judge if this proposal is better.
The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is you can never be sure if they are real. - Mark Twain

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:44 am

The Sanger Dynasty wrote:
Connopolis wrote:
FURTHER PROHIBITS humanitarian aid workers from intentionally entering conflict zones,

Sometimes it is necessary for humanitarian aid workers to enter conflict zones. Why? Because that is where casualties occur and you have to get them to a field hospital somehow.

Not only that but civilians do get wounded in conflict zones, especially in urban combat. Also that combat may cut civilians off from food, water, and power, therefore increasing the need for HAW inside conflict zones. And what happens if they come upon a wounded soldier in a combat zone or a unit asks them to take their wounded? Are they supposed to just leave them there??

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/arc ... 81603e.jpg

Red Cross workers in the Abu Salim district of Tripoli evacuating wounded. Abu Salim has recently been the scene of fierce fighting yet Red Cross still went in to get wounded out.

Vote NO on this resolution. It hinders aid workers from doing their job.

As of now, I agree. There are several loopholes/errors that need to be fixed, and I'd rather a good resolution be on the books as opposed to a poorly written one. I've created a new version which will be submitted immediately after this one has been repealed. The new version can be found here.
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Connopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:45 am

Galborg wrote:Regular Geneva Convention: soldiers who know a bit of first-aid count as belligerents, they may be shot or POWed. Medics who are ONLY medics must carry no weapons and be obviously identifiable as civilians and must be treated as civilians,

What does the current Nation States convention say? That way we can judge if this proposal is better.

Unfortunately, there is no Nationstates convention -- or at least one hasn't been passed yet in regards to medics.

Yours,
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell

Cromwell Protectorate
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromwell Protectorate » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:24 pm

This is a great idea, but the resolution has too many open-loop holes...
Gives "humanitarians" too much power...
Last edited by Cromwell Protectorate on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honourable Benjamin Sisko
Ambassador to Nation States
The United Republic of Cromwell
cromwell protectorate
a lee project

West Wing Cohort
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby West Wing Cohort » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:22 am

I have an issue with the following clause of this resolution:

ALLOWS individual nations to relocate Humanitarian Aid Worker declared neutral zones if it is determined that they interfere with war efforts,

If we are allowing Humanitarian Aid Workers to declare neutral zones, they are neutral zones. Allowing one of the warring parties to relocate a humanitarian neutral zone defeats the purpose of giving aid workers that power in the first place. Until hostilities have been declared ended, neutral zones should be strictly off-limits to all warring parties.

If this clause is part of the resolution, I cannot support the resolution.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:41 am

West Wing Cohort wrote:I have an issue with the following clause of this resolution:

ALLOWS individual nations to relocate Humanitarian Aid Worker declared neutral zones if it is determined that they interfere with war efforts,

If we are allowing Humanitarian Aid Workers to declare neutral zones, they are neutral zones. Allowing one of the warring parties to relocate a humanitarian neutral zone defeats the purpose of giving aid workers that power in the first place. Until hostilities have been declared ended, neutral zones should be strictly off-limits to all warring parties.

If this clause is part of the resolution, I cannot support the resolution.

The problem with that is that humanitarian groups can potentially cause a massive hindrance to a nation's ability to wage a war. By allowing nations to relocate a neutral zone, you not only keep the humanitarian aide workers in business and out of harms way, but you can continue with your war uninhibited.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Independent Biafra
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Kill the cows!!!

Postby Independent Biafra » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:13 am

Why don't we destroy are naboughs economy like the decimation of there cattle the buring of shops banks everything the soldiers can freely loot do not harm the civilian population (only crushing the resistance and if it only lasts a few days they cannot organise a proper resistance) soon the country will fall into hyperinflation you send in politicians with strong personalities with ways of helping the country by forming a coaltion and slowly combined the too! :twisted:

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:16 am

Independent Biafra wrote:Why don't we destroy are naboughs economy like the decimation of there cattle the buring of shops banks everything the soldiers can freely loot do not harm the civilian population (only crushing the resistance and if it only lasts a few days they cannot organise a proper resistance) soon the country will fall into hyperinflation you send in politicians with strong personalities with ways of helping the country by forming a coaltion and slowly combined the too! :twisted:

WAT.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Nullarni
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nullarni » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:16 am

Independent Biafra wrote:Why don't we destroy are naboughs economy like the decimation of there cattle the buring of shops banks everything the soldiers can freely loot do not harm the civilian population (only crushing the resistance and if it only lasts a few days they cannot organise a proper resistance) soon the country will fall into hyperinflation you send in politicians with strong personalities with ways of helping the country by forming a coaltion and slowly combined the too! :twisted:

Yes, your input has been invaluable. I am not sure how we could have held a proper debate without it, thank you. I wish you luck wherever your journeys may take you.
Proud founder of the NEW WARSAW PACT. Visitors welcome.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives