NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Forced Marriages Ban Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Speculine
Envoy

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Speculine » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:10 am

Linux and the X wrote:
1. Defines forced marriage, for the purposes of this resolution, as the contractual or covenantal union of persons without the informed consent of at least one of the persons being joined or a similar nonconsensual union of persons;

Wait, so theoretically I could marry everyone in the world without even telling the? There would be informed consent of at least one person (me).

I somehow failed to notice that. Along with a change to your fourth point this should be changed as well. Both parties should be required to have given informed consent.
Factbook, still in the works
National Leader: Emperor Maximus Serpentus
WA Representative: Ambassador Antony Zethicus

Alqania
Minister

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:48 am

Lord Raekevik was nodding along in the debate and thought the Ambassador from Christian Democrats seemed reasonable enough. Then, as if his mind had been read, he was handed a report on the Ambassador's record within the General Assembly and the impression took a dire turn for the worse. But this proposal seemed reasonable enough, Lord Raekevik thought to himself, well, apart from the issues with clauses 1 and 4 that had been raised by other Ambassadors, those would need to be rectified. As he was going through clause 4 again, his eyes turned downwards to clause 5. Hold on a minute, he thought, that didn't look right.

Christian Democrats wrote:5. Allows each member state to recognize or not to recognize and to determine the legality of arranged marriage, polygamy, and bigamy in its jurisdiction;

"Delegates and Ambassadors, the Queendom would be delighted to support this bill, if changes are made to clauses 1 and 4 as has been petitioned by other Ambassadors, and if..." He paused for a moment and looked at the other Ambassadors, as if trying to figure out how they would react to his next suggestion. "And if clause 5 is removed, alternatively changed to only include arranged marriage. Clause 5 would effectively block WA legislation either in favour or against these forms of marriage, and while the Queendom has no position on such blocking of legislation on arranged marriage, we cannot support allowing states to enforce monogamy. Removing polygamy and bigamy from this clause would not change the status quo, it would simply remove the proposed blocking of them."

Lord Raekevik contemplated, the debate on inter-species marriage fresh in his memory and the track record of Christian Democrats in mind, whether this bill could be an elaborate attempt to block WA legislation on polygamy and the blocker in clause 5 be the real incentive for Christian Democrats to propose a ban on forced marriages.
Queendom of Alqania
Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Former Speaker of the Gay Regional Parliament
Represented in the WA by Ambassador Lord Raekevikinfo
and Deputy Ambassador Princess Christineinfo
Author of GA#178
Member of UNOG and the Stonewall Alliance

Dizyntk
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:58 am

Alqania wrote:Lord Raekevik was nodding along in the debate and thought the Ambassador from Christian Democrats seemed reasonable enough. Then, as if his mind had been read, he was handed a report on the Ambassador's record within the General Assembly and the impression took a dire turn for the worse. But this proposal seemed reasonable enough, Lord Raekevik thought to himself, well, apart from the issues with clauses 1 and 4 that had been raised by other Ambassadors, those would need to be rectified. As he was going through clause 4 again, his eyes turned downwards to clause 5. Hold on a minute, he thought, that didn't look right.

Christian Democrats wrote:5. Allows each member state to recognize or not to recognize and to determine the legality of arranged marriage, polygamy, and bigamy in its jurisdiction;

"Delegates and Ambassadors, the Queendom would be delighted to support this bill, if changes are made to clauses 1 and 4 as has been petitioned by other Ambassadors, and if..." He paused for a moment and looked at the other Ambassadors, as if trying to figure out how they would react to his next suggestion. "And if clause 5 is removed, alternatively changed to only include arranged marriage. Clause 5 would effectively block WA legislation either in favour or against these forms of marriage, and while the Queendom has no position on such blocking of legislation on arranged marriage, we cannot support allowing states to enforce monogamy. Removing polygamy and bigamy from this clause would not change the status quo, it would simply remove the proposed blocking of them."

Lord Raekevik contemplated, the debate on inter-species marriage fresh in his memory and the track record of Christian Democrats in mind, whether this bill could be an elaborate attempt to block WA legislation on polygamy and the blocker in clause 5 be the real incentive for Christian Democrats to propose a ban on forced marriages.

The Dizyntk imperium would like to support the motion made by the Alqanian Delegate. The types of marriages you refer to as polygamous are common and normal among the Dizyntk and we would be very opposed to any moves towards retricting them.
Dizyntk WA Ambassador Princess Feyalisa Zerleen Profile
What is a Dizyntk you ask? Dizyntk Info
Cyanka is the Dizyntk year and is equal to 18 earth months. Do your own math.

Syvorji
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Syvorji » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Morlago wrote:
Syvorji wrote:While it has good point, it is the same guy who wants to ban abortion. Opposed.

Signed,
Joesphine Katrina

Is that really necessary? Would you have supported it if Flib proposed it? It seems unfair for CD that simply because he proposed something that you did not agree with (and neither did I) you have tagged and labeled him and all his work as rubbish. We find that very unprofessional.

Yes, I could have, but CD has opened Pandora's Box and seen too much of abortion. Thus, opposed.

Signed,
Joesphine Katrina

Phing Phong
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Phing Phong » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:34 pm

Syvorji wrote:
Morlago wrote:Is that really necessary? Would you have supported it if Flib proposed it? It seems unfair for CD that simply because he proposed something that you did not agree with (and neither did I) you have tagged and labeled him and all his work as rubbish. We find that very unprofessional.

Yes, I could have, but CD has opened Pandora's Box and seen too much of abortion. Thus, opposed.

Signed,
Joesphine Katrina

We would agree with all those nations supportive of a progressive and balanced stance on abortion; however a past resolution proposal should have no effect on a nation's judgement of a present one.
Incompetent Buddhist, liberal centrist and militant queer

Embassy Program | NSwiki Pages | Factbook | Map | National Anthem | Constitution | Phing Phong Fine Rices | Culture Test
Member of the Stonewall Alliance, open to all LGBT-friendly nations!

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:43 pm

How do you decide if a marriage was forced? The courts have many more important cases to deal with, they would be swamped with "forced marriage" complaints.
Last edited by Geilinor on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Speculine
Envoy

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Speculine » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:46 pm

Alqania wrote:Lord Raekevik was nodding along in the debate and thought the Ambassador from Christian Democrats seemed reasonable enough. Then, as if his mind had been read, he was handed a report on the Ambassador's record within the General Assembly and the impression took a dire turn for the worse. But this proposal seemed reasonable enough, Lord Raekevik thought to himself, well, apart from the issues with clauses 1 and 4 that had been raised by other Ambassadors, those would need to be rectified. As he was going through clause 4 again, his eyes turned downwards to clause 5. Hold on a minute, he thought, that didn't look right.

There does seem to be a very real possibility of an alternative agenda there. Speculine's Council Of M-Theory has agreed and we stand in agreement with Lord Raekevik.
Factbook, still in the works
National Leader: Emperor Maximus Serpentus
WA Representative: Ambassador Antony Zethicus

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:23 pm

Since it appears my proposal to repeal the Living Wage Act has died, I guess it's time to get back to this draft. So far, these are the primary suggestions that have been made:

1. Define "informed consent."

2. Require nations to enforce provisions of resolution.

3. Establish a process by which some forced marriages performed before the resolution's passage are legal if the couple wishes to remain married.

4. Remove the blocker clause allowing each state to determine its own polygamy laws.

Concerning the first point, I still cannot think of an adequate definiton of "informed consent" nor do I understand why one is necessary when "informed consent" is a common phrase that is widely understood. I'm open to suggestions on point two. Regarding point three, I'll make revisions; though, I don't see what would be so difficult about remarrying. Concerning the fourth point, I don't understand why each state shouldn't be able to determine its own laws regarding issues such as polygamy. This is and always has been a controversial issue. I don't think a world government should legislate on it. Even states in a federation (such as the RL United States) are allowed to determine their own marriage laws. The World Assembly isn't a unitary state.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Alqania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Concerning the fourth point, I don't understand why each state shouldn't be able to determine its own laws regarding issues such as polygamy. This is and always has been a controversial issue. I don't think a world government should legislate on it. Even states in a federation (such as the RL United States) are allowed to determine their own marriage laws. The World Assembly isn't a unitary state.

"Your Excellency is aware that the World Assembly has already legislated on marriage with the Freedom of Marriage Act and the Right to a Lawful Divorce. Those issues are also controversial and could be legislated on a state level within a federation."
Queendom of Alqania
Author of GA#178

Quadrimmina
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Clause 5 appears to be a very sneaky rider in light of the current title of this resolution. A resolution dealing with "forced marriage" should not have clauses related to polygamy and bigamy. We must urge the proposing delegation to either remove the reference to polygamy and bigamy or to change the title of the resolution.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:
GA#111 (Medical Research Ethics Act)
SC#28 (Commend Sionis Prioratus)
GA#197 (Banning Extrajudicial Transfer)

Co-authored:
GA#110 (Identity Theft Prevention Act)
GA#171 (Freedom in Medical Research)
GA#196 (Freedom of Information Act)

Dizyntk
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:Clause 5 appears to be a very sneaky rider in light of the current title of this resolution. A resolution dealing with "forced marriage" should not have clauses related to polygamy and bigamy. We must urge the proposing delegation to either remove the reference to polygamy and bigamy or to change the title of the resolution.

We concur with the Quadrimmina Ambassador.
Dizyntk WA Ambassador Princess Feyalisa Zerleen Profile
What is a Dizyntk you ask? Dizyntk Info
Cyanka is the Dizyntk year and is equal to 18 earth months. Do your own math.

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:Clause 5 appears to be a very sneaky rider in light of the current title of this resolution. A resolution dealing with "forced marriage" should not have clauses related to polygamy and bigamy. We must urge the proposing delegation to either remove the reference to polygamy and bigamy or to change the title of the resolution.

We concur with the ambassador from Quadrimmina.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Alqania wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Concerning the fourth point, I don't understand why each state shouldn't be able to determine its own laws regarding issues such as polygamy. This is and always has been a controversial issue. I don't think a world government should legislate on it. Even states in a federation (such as the RL United States) are allowed to determine their own marriage laws. The World Assembly isn't a unitary state.

"Your Excellency is aware that the World Assembly has already legislated on marriage with the Freedom of Marriage Act and the Right to a Lawful Divorce. Those issues are also controversial and could be legislated on a state level within a federation."

I oppose both of those resolutions because I believe those should be national issues. I consider myself an international federalist. I don't support a unitary state. General Assembly Resolution 16, the Sexual Privacy Act, is sufficient to protect personal relations.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Apart from removing clause 5, will this draft continue to allow us to prohibit overseas spouses from entering our country to join victims of forced marriages?

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:42 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Apart from removing clause 5, will this draft continue to allow us to prohibit overseas spouses from entering our country to join victims of forced marriages?

Yes.

Furthermore, this proposal:
3. Forbids member states and their political subdivisions from enforcing or providing legal recognition to forced marriages performed in other countries

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Apart from removing clause 5, will this draft continue to allow us to prohibit overseas spouses from entering our country to join victims of forced marriages?

Yes.

3. Forbids member states and their political subdivisions from enforcing or providing legal recognition to forced marriages performed in other countries

And nationally as well, honoured ambassador? Just wishing to verify the solidness of this draft.

Alqania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Alqania wrote:

I oppose both of those resolutions because I believe those should be national issues. I consider myself an international federalist. I don't support a unitary state. General Assembly Resolution 16, the Sexual Privacy Act, is sufficient to protect personal relations.

"I would think Your Excellency did. Just so we are clear that the voting majority and Your Excellency have different opinions on what the World Assembly should and should not legislate on. I note also that other Ambassadors have questioned the relevance of polygamy and bigamy in a proposal on forced marriages. Would Your Excellency care to comment on that?"
Queendom of Alqania
Author of GA#178

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:57 pm

I've revised the proposal. I removed the polygamy blocker only because I believe it possibly would prevent this proposal from passing.

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Yes.

And nationally as well, honoured ambassador? Just wishing to verify the solidness of this draft.

I don't understand your question. The proposal would ban forced marriages, which means that member states and their subdivisions would be prohibited from allowing such unions.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:6. Allows each member state to recognize or not to recognize and to determine the legality of arranged marriage in its jurisdiction;

7. Allows member states to privatize marriage so long as they abide by the provisions of this resolution; and

8. Allows member states that recognize marriages to establish marriageable ages that do not discriminate on the basis of sex.[/box]

All three of these clauses are unnecessary. Arrange marriage, privatized marriage and marriageable ages are already at the discretion of member states. These clauses therefore have only a blocking effect.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Quadrimmina
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:57 pm

Quelesh wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:6. Allows each member state to recognize or not to recognize and to determine the legality of arranged marriage in its jurisdiction;

7. Allows member states to privatize marriage so long as they abide by the provisions of this resolution; and

8. Allows member states that recognize marriages to establish marriageable ages that do not discriminate on the basis of sex.[/box]

All three of these clauses are unnecessary. Arrange marriage, privatized marriage and marriageable ages are already at the discretion of member states. These clauses therefore have only a blocking effect.

We also feel that these clauses go against the intentions alluded to in the resolution's title.
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:
GA#111 (Medical Research Ethics Act)
SC#28 (Commend Sionis Prioratus)
GA#197 (Banning Extrajudicial Transfer)

Co-authored:
GA#110 (Identity Theft Prevention Act)
GA#171 (Freedom in Medical Research)
GA#196 (Freedom of Information Act)

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:23 pm

Quadrimmina wrote:
Quelesh wrote:

We also feel that these clauses go against the intentions alluded to in the resolution's title.

Clauses removed. Does anyone see any other problems with this proposal, or is it ready for submission?

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Thank you for removing those clauses. :)
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

Alqania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alqania » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:5. Recommends that member states establish special law enforcement divisions to investigate claims of forced marriage and communities that supposedly countenance such unions.

"While I realise this is a non-binding clause, I wonder if special law enforcement divisions are needed for this purpose. And I certainly do not like the implications of the community part. I hope the recommendation is not that we establish a special police for specific demographic groups. I would prefer if this clause was removed, though I must say, I think the Queendom will be able to support this proposal with or without this clause."
Queendom of Alqania
Author of GA#178

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:22 pm

Alqania wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:5. Recommends that member states establish special law enforcement divisions to investigate claims of forced marriage and communities that supposedly countenance such unions.

"While I realise this is a non-binding clause, I wonder if special law enforcement divisions are needed for this purpose. And I certainly do not like the implications of the community part. I hope the recommendation is not that we establish a special police for specific demographic groups. I would prefer if this clause was removed, though I must say, I think the Queendom will be able to support this proposal with or without this clause."

As you mentioned, it's a nonbinding clause. A "forced marriage" division could be staffed by only one or two officers. The kinds of communities that I'm describing are ones such as the FLDS in the United States. I thought of writing this proposal after seeing coverage of the Warren Jeffs' trial on television. (Yesterday, he was sentenced to life in prison.)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:33 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:1. Defines forced marriage, for the purposes of this resolution, as the contractual or covenantal union of persons without the informed consent of every person being joined or a similar nonconsensual or coerced union of persons

I'm thinking of submitting this proposal after the next update cycle begins. Does everyone think this definition of forced marriage is adequate? Do you have any other suggestions?

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives