NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] A Model World Assembly

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:16 pm

Mahaj wrote:
Zoingo wrote:^This.

The resolution doesn't seem to mask any "mini-tyrannies" that frequently fly out of World Assembly proposals, plus the proposal gives the kiddos a great look at how international politics is so garbled up. :P

Exactly.

So, ah, should I submit this?

Wait until either Saturday or Sunday. More people tend to be on in the weekend, ergo, more delegates will approve your proposal in a given length of time. :)
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Mahaj wrote:Exactly.

Wait until either Saturday or Sunday. More people tend to be on in the weekend, ergo, more delegates will approve your proposal in a given length of time. :)

Isn't that just the opposite of what Mousebumples said? :p

anywho, if I submitted it, i'd wait until tomorrow.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Connopolis
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Connopolis » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Mahaj wrote:
Connopolis wrote:

Isn't that just the opposite of what Mousebumples said? :p

*Backs into corner*

I meant Sunday or Monday. :oops:
From the office of,
Mrs. Pamela Howell
GA Ambassador of the Connopolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Connopolis wrote:
Mahaj wrote:Isn't that just the opposite of what Mousebumples said? :p

*Backs into corner*

I meant Sunday or Monday. :oops:

LOL

FWIW, I've had no trouble submitting resolutions and getting them a lot of approvals over the weekend. But since it *is* summer...
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:16 pm

Mahaj wrote:FWIW, I've had no trouble submitting resolutions and getting them a lot of approvals over the weekend. But since it *is* summer...

I'm not saying that no one is online over the weekend. :P I've just seen a number of proposals get ... close to quorum and not quite reach it over a weekend; then they reach quorum more easily when resubmitted during the week.

Hey, I could be wrong. I just know that if I'm not working the weekend, I probably won't be on NS too much ..... ^_^
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Mahaj wrote:

The resolution doesn't seem to mask any "mini-tyrannies" that frequently fly out of World Assembly proposals, plus the proposal gives the kiddos a great look at how international politics is so garbled up. :P

Exactly.

No.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Mahaj wrote:Exactly.

No.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Meow.

Dizyntk
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:43 pm

Mahaj wrote:

Exactly.

What?...Really?.....Just a second...(Quickly dispatches TG's of warning to parents everywhere.)

Please think of the trauma you will be inflicting on their young minds.

Sure, why not.
Dizyntk WA Ambassador Princess Feyalisa Zerleen Profile
What is a Dizyntk you ask? Dizyntk Info
Cyanka is the Dizyntk year and is equal to 18 earth months. Do your own math.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Mahaj wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:No.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Meow.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:04 pm

We greatly approve of the idea of teaching children how to respond to proposals in the style of the responses we have observed so far to this particular proposal. They are very amusing... even if they are indeed made by
Connopolis wrote:blood-thirsty, gnome abusive ambassadors currently being employed

And anyway, we approve of the antics of the WA... like defenestrations, turning up to the debate drunk, soliciting 'donations', ogling the Thessadorian Ambassador and so on. It will combat a rise of boredom... no, we'll call it depression, that's better... in our country. We don't understand why so many people are so opposed to this noble proliferation plan.

However, we doubt that it will be necessary to devote much thought to the education of children in the finer points of international diplomacy. We don't think children should find it too difficult to enter a MWA discussion going 'Meow, Moo, Oink, Squee, Squee'.
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Edlichbury
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Edlichbury » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:51 pm

One question: will they be exposed to the myriad armies of lemmings who inevitably vote whichever way the 10k Islands votes, and be expected to do so themselves? I believe teaching people that they should go with whomever has the biggest stick at the time is a terrible precedant to set. Furthermore, I can hardly pay enough attention to figure out how to navigate through the sankepit. No way are young children going to learn anything except violence, random parties, and the finer aspects of how to hid that one is currently plastered/wasted/stoned/dead.

Dizyntk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:56 pm

"You navigate the snakepit with a blowtorch, a bottle of vodka (both for drinking and for hitting), and a willingness to scratch the hell out of the first ambassador's aide that touches you butt."

Extends claws and carefully sharpens them.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:36 am

Mahaj wrote:So, ah, should I submit this?

No.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:45 am

Mousebumples wrote:
Mahaj wrote:FWIW, I've had no trouble submitting resolutions and getting them a lot of approvals over the weekend. But since it *is* summer...

I'm not saying that no one is online over the weekend. :P I've just seen a number of proposals get ... close to quorum and not quite reach it over a weekend; then they reach quorum more easily when resubmitted during the week.

Hey, I could be wrong. I just know that if I'm not working the weekend, I probably won't be on NS too much ..... ^_^

Okay, I think i'm going to submit today. I've decided that Mousebumples is an exception and a good amount of people *will* be online this weekend. :P

Beldonia WA Seat
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia WA Seat » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:04 am

I still fail to see why this is important enough to make a resolution about it. Maybe I should draft one about school newspapers or Wheel of Fortune or tiddlywinks.
Puppet of Beldonia used for posting on the WA forums and voting.

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:06 am

Beldonia WA Seat wrote:I still fail to see why this is important enough to make a resolution about it. Maybe I should draft one about school newspapers or Wheel of Fortune or tiddlywinks.

Maybe you could. If, y'know, the school newspaper or Wheel of Fortune or tiddlywinks affected your nations people. Because, WA legislation *does* affect the people, and the people have a right and duty to know whats going on.

Beldonia WA Seat
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia WA Seat » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:10 am

Mahaj wrote:
Beldonia WA Seat wrote:I still fail to see why this is important enough to make a resolution about it. Maybe I should draft one about school newspapers or Wheel of Fortune or tiddlywinks.

Maybe you could. If, y'know, the school newspaper or Wheel of Fortune or tiddlywinks affected your nations people. Because, WA legislation *does* affect the people, and the people have a right and duty to know whats going on.

Well, they could learn about it themselves. The government does not need to manage people's interest with politics and diplomacy. As for requiring nations to make a model world assembly, that's just unnecessary. I fail to see why governments can't decide for themselves what silly clubs and organizations they want.

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:13 am

With free press, basic and international education, and the implementation of resolutions as law, the people know what is going on.
I'm not sure requiring member-states to have Model World Assemblies is necessary or that it is a good use of our time passing a resolution over it.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:36 am

Beldonia WA Seat wrote:
Mahaj wrote:Maybe you could. If, y'know, the school newspaper or Wheel of Fortune or tiddlywinks affected your nations people. Because, WA legislation *does* affect the people, and the people have a right and duty to know whats going on.

Well, they could learn about it themselves. The government does not need to manage people's interest with politics and diplomacy. As for requiring nations to make a model world assembly, that's just unnecessary. I fail to see why governments can't decide for themselves what silly clubs and organizations they want.

But the fact is that nations *won't* when they *should*. MWA is the best way to encourage activity in the WA.

Southern Patriots wrote:With free press, basic and international education, and the implementation of resolutions as law, the people know what is going on.
I'm not sure requiring member-states to have Model World Assemblies is necessary or that it is a good use of our time passing a resolution over it.

Freedom of the Press has a bunch of loopholes. And the fact that people could be kept in the dark, and just know that the law randomly changes. Plus, this is to educate children, not adults.

Dizyntk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:44 am

Reads transcript of debate since leaving the chamber.......

"The debate became....serious?" :shock:

clears throat

"While I applaud the sentiment behind the proposed legislation, I must point out that a large number of nations will not look kindly on the WA forcing them to introduce things like this in their school systems. If the "Required" language was replaced by "Reccomends", or similar language, we believe that there would be far less opposition to the resolution."

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:56 am

Dizyntk wrote:Reads transcript of debate since leaving the chamber.......

"The debate became....serious?" :shock:

clears throat

"While I applaud the sentiment behind the proposed legislation, I must point out that a large number of nations will not look kindly on the WA forcing them to introduce things like this in their school systems. If the "Required" language was replaced by "Reccomends", or similar language, we believe that there would be far less opposition to the resolution."

Nations are now recommended to hold national conferences. They are still required to educate about the WA, and there will be an international conference.

Palentine WA Office
Secretary

Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Palentine WA Office » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:58 am

I was hoping that this was dead, but so much for hope and change. so insted I'll add my voice with those opposed.

I'd compose a sarcastic and ribald song about this one(sung to the tune of Gilbert and Sullivans I am the Model of a Modern Major General) but I can't think of anything to rhyme with Festering Snakepit.....ah hell why not?

"It is the very model of a Modern World Assembly,
It legislates on everything animal, vegetable, and mineral.
It has a well stocked bar with drinks unimaginable
from Martinis to Gibsons, just to name a few of them.
The Ambassadors are deviants, and drunks by the score of them,
the only one worth mentioning is the Ambassador from Thesssadoria.
When she and her twins show up the Snakepit certianly won't bore ya..."

Feel free to add other verses.

Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla

(OOC:that rumbling sound is Gilbert and Sullivan rolling in their graves right now :p )
another Fine Yeldan Puppet™

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:00 am

I understand the opposition, however I don't think thats going to change much. I also don't see any legality problems, at least none have been brought up, so i'm going to submit in about 10-15 minutes.

Get your comments in quickly!

Beldonia WA Seat
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Beldonia WA Seat » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:09 am

Mahaj wrote:
Beldonia WA Seat wrote:Well, they could learn about it themselves. The government does not need to manage people's interest with politics and diplomacy. As for requiring nations to make a model world assembly, that's just unnecessary. I fail to see why governments can't decide for themselves what silly clubs and organizations they want.

But the fact is that nations *won't* when they *should*. MWA is the best way to encourage activity in the WA.

We categorically disagree that they should make a model world assembly. I think that it's fine the way it is--they can if they want to, but only if they choose to. If this proposal gets enough apprivals to be in queue, which would surprise me, I will vote against it.

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:12 am

Beldonia WA Seat wrote:
Mahaj wrote:But the fact is that nations *won't* when they *should*. MWA is the best way to encourage activity in the WA.

We categorically disagree that they should make a model world assembly. I think that it's fine the way it is--they can if they want to, but only if they choose to. If this proposal gets enough apprivals to be in queue, which would surprise me, I will vote against it.

Very well then.

I'm submitting this now.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives