NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] A Model World Assembly

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:06 pm

Since when has the WA been this self congratulatory?
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:08 pm

Darenjo wrote:
Dizyntk wrote:Feyalisa re-reads the proposal. "Actually, this is not as bad as the original proposal. I can see a loop...err...good reason for my nation to be in support of this. We will vote in favor if it reaches quorom."

"Sadly, I do not believe that this is worth the money. Sorry, but AGAINST."

Education is not worth the money?
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Black Marne
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Black Marne » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Warzone Codger wrote:Since when has the WA been this self congratulatory?

Since when has educating the people of WA member states about the WA so that when the future comes, they may take over our positions and keep international peace going self-congratulatory, esteemed ambassador?

-The Allied States of Black Marne
Last edited by Black Marne on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Defense, Liberation, Bacon: UDL

FUS RO DAH!
World Assembly Delegate of New Dinosaurtopia

Dizyntk
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Mahaj wrote:
Darenjo wrote:
"Sadly, I do not believe that this is worth the money. Sorry, but AGAINST."

Education is not worth the money?

"What money? We do not have to spend a cent. It says,
REQUIRES member nations to educate people about the role and doings of the World Assembly,

"Nowhere does it say which people or how many people. I and my WA staff count as people, yes? We have been "educated" on the role and doings of the WA. Therefore we are already in compliance and see no need to spend any other funds on the subject." :)
Dizyntk WA Ambassador Princess Feyalisa Zerleen Profile
What is a Dizyntk you ask? Dizyntk Info
Cyanka is the Dizyntk year and is equal to 18 earth months. Do your own math.

Archelleto
Civilian

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Archelleto » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:15 pm

As I parrticipate in the actual Model United Nations, I shall promote such educational programs for the world perspective and awareness it allows for students to gain. Frankly, I can't see why anyone participating in the World Assembly wouldn't be in favor of the MWA. Funding is a non-issue, as stated above. The potential to raise an educated generation that is informed on the issues of today may help solve the issues of the future. What little bureaucracy trickles down from the WA will be self regulated by the individuals and leaders within the MWA. And although the WA may assist in governing the MWA as it begins, the self-sustaining nature of the program ensures that the WA will not have to be directly involved in the everyday operations of the student run conferences/debates. Hopefully, other nations will recognize the value of such a programs and begin their own.
Last edited by Archelleto on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dinkamana
Envoy

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dinkamana » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:32 pm

The Imperium of Dinkamana wonders why this hasn't been proposed before. It has a sound basis and doesn't go into specifics, allowing nations to choose how to implement it. Not only does it improve education, it allows a fresh perspective on world politics and the inner workings of the WA. The Imperium of Dinkamana votes FOR this resolution and is behind it one-hundred percent.
Alpha. Mike. Foxtrot. In other words, Adios Mother FUCKER!!!

T3h Confederacy
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby T3h Confederacy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:23 pm

T3h Confederacy is committed to the referenced practice as a recommendation, but we cannot abide a mandate. Against.

Arivali
Envoy

Founded: Jun 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arivali » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:56 pm

Opposed. While I'm generally pro-education, only those involved in the WA need to know how it works. I agree that children should be taught at least the basics of how government works. And if anyone does want to know is allowed to educate themselves because of Freedom of the Press. Nothing wrong with people wanting to educating themselves. But telling me I have to make my schools simulate this?

North Donsville
Attaché

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby North Donsville » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:00 am

This is a great idea. It will surely help the world move towards a more mature future.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:53 am

Apologies for being strict on standards but I would much better prefer if the WA required member nations to educate the role and doings of the World Assembly to those who seek it. Just saying "people" seems vague in my opinion.

Imperialist Monarchy
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperialist Monarchy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:41 am

Why force-feed political knowledge to innocent children? :eyebrow:

The N O A
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The N O A » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:54 am

Imperialist Monarchy wrote:Why force-feed political knowledge to innocent children? :eyebrow:

for the same reason that you sometimes have to force feed a child their vegitables, its good for the average person to know just how their government works, it creates less missconceptions that way. it also leads to people becomeing more involved in descisions partaining to themselfs leading to a life they are more incontrol and satisfied with, not the apathetic drones most people these days seem to be (many democracys have millions of people that dont even vote).

the N O A is behind this definatly.
Last edited by The N O A on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:22 am

The only mandatory thing this does is say we should "educate" people in the role and doings of the World Assembly. It sets no minimum standard or requirements as to what we believe educating them in it is.
Though we vote against it, we take comfort knowing that even if it passes we are not actually required to participate in these silly Model WA's, and we have the power due to the short wording of this proposal to limit an education of the World Assembly to one sentence: "The role of the World Assembly is to establish standards in international law, but what it ends up doing is trying to sometimes excessively interfere with the affairs of its member-states."

And as the esteemed Princess of Dizyntk has said, it sets no minimum requirement on who these "people" to be educated are. Just says educate people. Myself and my aide, Rufus, are people. Requirement met.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

The Altani Confederacy
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Altani Confederacy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:38 am

We find ourselves in agreement with those who point out that this doesn't actually do anything, other than impose a vague and laughably short requirement that nations educate people about what the WA does. As such, we find this legislation to be, frankly, worthless legislative fluff. In full disclosure, however, we probably wouldn't have supported this even if it did mandate that nations participate in this Model WA concept. That would be an overreach of authority in our estimation. So, either way, we are disinclined to support it.

-Sophie Fournier, Delegate of Lavinium and Confederate WA Ambassador
Last edited by The Altani Confederacy on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Commonwealth of Independent Nations - Many lands, many peoples, one Commonwealth
Commonwealth factbook | newswire
_________________________________________________________________________________
Delegate of Lavinium - Diversity, Equality, Prosperity
Regional wiki | Regional webpage | Regional news service

Parallaxium
Secretary

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Parallaxium » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:55 am

It seems to me that this falls under the realm of micromanagement. Why should the implied education of an indeterminate number of people about an international agency with no affiliation to their nation's political system be mandated? It is worth noting that the RL Model United Nations is not legally forced upon UN members, nor should it be. Membership there is, as it should be with any form of Model World Assembly, entirely voluntary, and whilst encouraged, has no place in the legal agenda of the organisation.

In addition to this, the resolution spectacularly fails to actually mandate anything, a state not befitting a piece of international law. The only clause that actually does anything (REQUIRES member nations to educate people about the role and doings of the World Assembly) fails to specify which people, or how they should be educated. As has been mentioned in this thread, the leader of a nation could choose to interpret 'people' as 'one or more living entities of or pertaining to the genus Homo', proceed to run a five-minute summary class for themselves and their advisors, and declare that they are in compliance with the resolution. If a law has no effect, what is the point of said law? Laws should be necessary, precise, and lacking in loop-holes and ambiguity, and sadly this resolution most certainly does not meet these guidelines.

From me, therefore, the verdict is a resounding 'NO'.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:11 am

Flibbleites wrote:You want to expose kids to the Festering Snakepit? You'll scar them for life.

Think of the children! We must expose them to the real world. We strongly support this proposal, even if we will at the same time use every loophole possible to minimize the amount of work we have to do to enforce it.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:49 am

Parallaxium wrote:It seems to me that this falls under the realm of micromanagement. Why should the implied education of an indeterminate number of people about an international agency with no affiliation to their nation's political system be mandated? It is worth noting that the RL Model United Nations is not legally forced upon UN members, nor should it be. Membership there is, as it should be with any form of Model World Assembly, entirely voluntary, and whilst encouraged, has no place in the legal agenda of the organisation.

In addition to this, the resolution spectacularly fails to actually mandate anything, a state not befitting a piece of international law. The only clause that actually does anything (REQUIRES member nations to educate people about the role and doings of the World Assembly) fails to specify which people, or how they should be educated. As has been mentioned in this thread, the leader of a nation could choose to interpret 'people' as 'one or more living entities of or pertaining to the genus Homo', proceed to run a five-minute summary class for themselves and their advisors, and declare that they are in compliance with the resolution. If a law has no effect, what is the point of said law? Laws should be necessary, precise, and lacking in loop-holes and ambiguity, and sadly this resolution most certainly does not meet these guidelines.

From me, therefore, the verdict is a resounding 'NO'.

Most of this is voluntary, in case you haven't noticed, with the exception of the requiring clause and the international conference.

The clause doesn't specify which people, that is correct. However, i'm confident most nations will understand who is to be educated with this resolution. After all, it is in the best interest for people to know about the WA.
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Dizyntk
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dizyntk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:15 am

Mahaj wrote:The clause doesn't specify which people, that is correct. However, i'm confident most nations will understand who is to be educated with this resolution. After all, it is in the best interest for people to know about the WA.

"You assume much, Ambassador Kha. I would not be too sure about this."
Last edited by Dizyntk on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dizyntk WA Ambassador Princess Feyalisa Zerleen Profile
What is a Dizyntk you ask? Dizyntk Info
Cyanka is the Dizyntk year and is equal to 18 earth months. Do your own math.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:18 am

I'm against this. While my concerns on its legality have been assuaged, I'm still not convinced that we need this piece of frivolous legislation.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:21 am

Sanctaria wrote:I'm against this. While my concerns on its legality have been assuaged, I'm still not convinced that we need this piece of frivolous legislation.

Frivolous? Teaching people about the WA is definitely not 'frivolous'.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:26 am

Mahaj wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:I'm against this. While my concerns on its legality have been assuaged, I'm still not convinced that we need this piece of frivolous legislation.

It is, however, dangerous. This is up there with violent video games being available for young children. The WA is rated M for Madhouse...

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:28 am

Mahaj wrote:

If a resolution came before me outlined how we're going to teach people about the WA, I'd support it. Right now it's a line stuck in a piece of unneeded legislation. The wording of that one line is dubious at best.

REQUIRES member nations to educate people about the role and doings of the World Assembly

I could tell people what ever I wanted about the World Assembly and it mightn't be true; "The Word Assembly is giant bat sent to eat bold children".
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Southern Patriots
Senator

Founded: Apr 19, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Southern Patriots » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:28 am

Mahaj wrote:

The way in which this proposal tries to teach people is frivolous.

Remember Rhodesia.

On Robert Mugabe:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He was a former schoolteacher.

I do hope it wasn't in economics.

Panzerjaeger wrote:Why would Cleopatra have cornrows? She is from Egypt not the goddamn Bronx.

Ceannairceach wrote:
Archnar wrote:The Russian Revolution showed a revolution could occure in a quick bloadless and painless process (Nobody was seriously injured or killed).

I doth protest in the name of the Russian Imperial family!
(WIP)

Holygy
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Holygy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:44 am

The basis of an open-minded and free democracy is political education. Mind that I don't say I am for or against the resolution itself, though...Holygy is not a WA member yet anyway, it's none of my business. Just saying.

Woolaroc
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Woolaroc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:58 am

This proposal is straight up retarded.
:rofl:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives