NATION

PASSWORD

(PASSED) Repeal "Guns and Mental Capacity"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Legendardisch
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Legendardisch » Fri May 13, 2011 4:17 am

ok if this law will be inserted or something then we will not follow it...

Our economy will be down you stupid dumb non thinker.
The United Federation of Legendardisch

Pegasus Armed Dealership | De Volkscourant | Embassy Program | Factbook | Legendardisch.gov
PROUD MEMBER OF: I.S.A , I.C.O.N , V.N.T , U.P.A , I.F.C , I.E.S.P , I.A.T.A , I.C.D , D.S.A , U.T.A

Some very cool links: Flickr | DeviantART | Personal Website
Nederlander | Je Suis Charlie | PEGIDA

The Altani Confederacy
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Altani Confederacy » Fri May 13, 2011 5:26 am

Legendardisch wrote:ok if this law will be inserted or something then we will not follow it...

Our economy will be down you stupid dumb non thinker.

This isn't a law to be "inserted" (incidentally, the images of what some ambassadors here may do with this legislation that your unfortunate phrasing inspired are just a tad bit disturbing). This is a repeal. Do you know what a repeal is? It means removing a law, not adding one. And how in the world will this affect your economy? As to your comment about "stupid dumb non thinkers", may we refer you to the Redundant Department of Redundancy Department?
The Commonwealth of Independent Nations - Many lands, many peoples, one Commonwealth
Commonwealth factbook | newswire
_________________________________________________________________________________
Delegate of Lavinium - Diversity, Equality, Prosperity
Regional wiki | Regional webpage | Regional news service

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Fri May 13, 2011 7:33 am

Legendardisch wrote:Our economy will be down you stupid dumb non thinker.

HEY! Knock off the Flaming.

Scurvyia
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Scurvyia » Fri May 13, 2011 10:05 am

Quite so, we're all respectable gentlemen and women here. Let's at least remain civil!

Dillan Gerby
Official Scurvyian WA Representative
Last edited by Scurvyia on Fri May 13, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Altani Confederacy
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Altani Confederacy » Fri May 13, 2011 10:15 am

Scurvyia wrote:Quite so, we're all respectable gentlemen and women here.

*bursts out into uncontrollable laughter for several seconds*

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Respectable...gentlemen and women....in the GA....

*snickers under her breath a bit more*

Thank you, ambassador, that's the best laugh I've had in a while.

In any event, we support this repeal.

- Sophie Fournier
Delegate of Lavinium
Confederate Ambassador to the WA
The Commonwealth of Independent Nations - Many lands, many peoples, one Commonwealth
Commonwealth factbook | newswire
_________________________________________________________________________________
Delegate of Lavinium - Diversity, Equality, Prosperity
Regional wiki | Regional webpage | Regional news service

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Fri May 13, 2011 10:36 am

The Altani Confederacy wrote:
Scurvyia wrote:Quite so, we're all respectable gentlemen and women here.

*bursts out into uncontrollable laughter for several seconds*

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Respectable...gentlemen and women....in the GA....

*snickers under her breath a bit more*

Thank you, ambassador, that's the best laugh I've had in a while.

In any event, we support this repeal.

- Sophie Fournier
Delegate of Lavinium
Confederate Ambassador to the WA

And you noticed the ambassador said it with a straight face, Ms. Fournier.

Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
(Still good, but now with 50% more unwholesomeness than ever)
Last edited by The Palentine on Fri May 13, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Unibotian WA Mission
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WA Mission » Sat May 14, 2011 9:29 am

Voting against because the repeal's content is rather weak as it doesn't satisfy the Reasonable Nation theory. Nations would not define such terms so vaguely, as it would be self-destructive to do so. I think this repeal encourages authors not to define things at all, because there is a tradition in the old-fogies of the WA to stretch definitions to absolutely wild and ridiculous applications even when no reasonable nation would actually want to do that -- so the point to defining for clarity is rather lost as you have to assume that the person reading your resolution is moronic and thoroughly unreasonable, so much so that they shouldn't be allowed to carry a loaded weapon under this resolution, let alone run a country. Any resolution is maliciously interpretable if you suffer from a severe lack of judgment, sensibility and awareness of reality whilst reading it, thus the conclusions of this repeal are neither shocking nor convincing.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote: Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Tornik
Civil Servant

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Yes

Postby Tornik » Sat May 14, 2011 10:08 am

Tornik totally supports this nation and wishes to help it in future needs

Tornik
Civil Servant

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tornik » Sat May 14, 2011 10:10 am

Unibotian WA Mission wrote:Voting against because the repeal's content is rather weak as it doesn't satisfy the Reasonable Nation theory. Nations would not define such terms so vaguely, as it would be self-destructive to do so. I think this repeal encourages authors not to define things at all, because there is a tradition in the old-fogies of the WA to stretch definitions to absolutely wild and ridiculous applications even when no reasonable nation would actually want to do that -- so the point to defining for clarity is rather lost as you have to assume that the person reading your resolution is moronic and thoroughly unreasonable, so much so that they shouldn't be allowed to carry a loaded weapon under this resolution, let alone run a country. Any resolution is maliciously interpretable if you suffer from a severe lack of judgment, sensibility and awareness of reality whilst reading it, thus the conclusions of this repeal are neither shocking nor convincing.
"Why" Tornik asks

Herpusderpus
Envoy

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Herpusderpus » Sat May 14, 2011 10:48 am

It's beyond retarded that this repeal proposal was accepted in the first place, yet people still vote for it? :palm: :roll:
Its ludicrous claims have been refuted so badly in this thread.

Hell, the bandwagon effect was so strong on this one that even the author of the original resolution was affected by it.

GG. :roll:
Last edited by Herpusderpus on Sat May 14, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Anyone dumb enough to want to be in the military should be allowed in." -Bill Hicks

Halp voting on the Community Run Nation.
Lolplaying a nazi state with Derpusherpus.

Alterrea
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Alterrea » Sat May 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Unibotian WA Mission wrote:Voting against because the repeal's content is rather weak as it doesn't satisfy the Reasonable Nation theory. Nations would not define such terms so vaguely, as it would be self-destructive to do so. I think this repeal encourages authors not to define things at all, because there is a tradition in the old-fogies of the WA to stretch definitions to absolutely wild and ridiculous applications even when no reasonable nation would actually want to do that -- so the point to defining for clarity is rather lost as you have to assume that the person reading your resolution is moronic and thoroughly unreasonable, so much so that they shouldn't be allowed to carry a loaded weapon under this resolution, let alone run a country. Any resolution is maliciously interpretable if you suffer from a severe lack of judgment, sensibility and awareness of reality whilst reading it, thus the conclusions of this repeal are neither shocking nor convincing.

The Community Attorney's Office reached the same conclusions here very well explained by the WA Representative of Unibot. Following its advice, the Senate of Alterrea decided to vote AGAINST this Repeal. Despite this, the message sent from the People's Democracy of Darenjo showed that even its own judicial system had some problems dealing with its own Resolution.

We have decided to support this repeal, because, after reading over both the repeal at vote, and our own resolution, we decided that enough (not all, but enough) of the repeal was true that GaMC was, rather than an effective and clear set of rules, something that was less effective than Darenjo can accept, and in some parts rather vague, unclear, or loophole-open.

The Senate has decided to change its vote because of this, from AGAINST to FOR. Unluckily, there is no time for the Great Council to ratify the new decision of the Senate. Because of this, the Leader of Alterrea used its reserve powers and ordered to ABSTAIN on this Repeal.
The Community of Alterrea's Mission to the World Assembly

OOC: Be patient, English is not my mother-tongue. I'm learning.
If you find errors in my comments, please tell me.

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Sat May 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Herpusderpus wrote:It's beyond retarded that this repeal proposal was accepted in the first place, yet people still vote for it? :palm: :roll:
Its ludicrous claims have been refuted so badly in this thread.

Hell, the bandwagon effect was so strong on this one that even the author of the original resolution was affected by it.

GG. :roll:

I'm pretty sure that Darenjo was on board before this was submitted, so the "bandwagon effect" can hardly be said to apply.

Henrik Søgård
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Herpusderpus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Herpusderpus » Sun May 15, 2011 10:12 am

Gratz, guys. Another proud sheep victory for the WA. :clap:
Brotip: If you voted for the original resolution and also voted for this one you just got fucked over.

Now let's cut the crap, be honest and admit that the real reason for repealing wasn't because there was anything wrong with the original resolution, but because you don't mind that psychos have guns in your nation, because arms manufacturing is big in your nation or whatever.
"Anyone dumb enough to want to be in the military should be allowed in." -Bill Hicks

Halp voting on the Community Run Nation.
Lolplaying a nazi state with Derpusherpus.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Mon May 16, 2011 7:55 am

(OOC Note: I have no idea what the usual "lifespan" is of these threads before they get locked away in the archives, but I am planning to write up a post in this thread yet, as soon as I have the time to sit down and do it. Just between RL and having a second proposal at vote right now, I probably won't have the free time for another day or two. So, if the modly people could give me a few days to get that post written up before archiving this, that would be fabulous. :))
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon May 16, 2011 10:27 am

Herpusderpus wrote:Now let's cut the crap, be honest and admit that the real reason for repealing wasn't because there was anything wrong with the original resolution, but because you don't mind that psychos have guns in your nation, because arms manufacturing is big in your nation or whatever.

"There are some of us whose homelands' laws might actually have been in compliance with the former resolution's terms anyhows, but whose governments think that policy on gun control should be determined nationally -- or even more locally -- rather than by the WA..."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon May 16, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Mon May 16, 2011 3:05 pm

Well, in response to the "bandwagon" comments, I was on board with this before it was submitted - indeed, before it was even brought onto the NS forums.
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu May 19, 2011 8:42 am

I few general comments now that I (finally) have the time to address this thread:

(1) To the objections that the category restricts the definition of gun to being an actual firearm: Hirota made the argument that "This seems very similar as saying Human rights legislation is useless as it only affects Humans." In my mind, it seems to be opposite to that argument. His argument - that only firearms can be covered under Gun Control resolutions - seems to be more along the lines that human rights resolutions only affect humans. He's certainly welcome to that category interpretation; however, I prefer to go off of what the text of the now-repealed resolution actually says.

(2) I'll admit that I mostly just wanted to get this resolution repealed, as I don't think the WA should be interfering with national gun control laws. However, since Nat Sov arguments are illegal, I had to use other arguments. While some of the arguments are, perhaps, open to interpretation and would not be accepted by all, I feel that they are/were justifiable by the resolution's text. I've covered some of the examples previously in this thread, and I can expand upon the rationale for others, if there are further questions/objections. I wish I'd had more free time to be around to refute these arguments during the At Vote phase, but work (and RL) has a pesky way of interfering with NS fun.

(3) Many thanks to all - WA delegates and single-vote representatives - for their support of this repeal! I'd never authored (or submitted) a repeal before, and your votes in favor were greatly appreciated. And, once more, I'd like to thank Darenjo for his support. There's always the potential for difficulty when repealing a resolution authored by a GA regular that things will get contentious and ... overly political. His agreement that the resolution should be repealed (before I even submitted the repeal proposal) made everything run a bit more smoothly.

(4) I'll close with the same UN card I posted a few pages back.

Let nations decide for themselves on matters of national gun control. No replacement!
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives