NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] [STRAY AUTHORS' GUILD] Conscientious Objector Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Otrenia wrote:If this is the closest vote ever, I hope I get a plaque or something! :lol:

This whole event should get a plaque: "The Days A Thousand Totalitarians Collectively Shit Brix"
Last edited by The Rich Port on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Otrenia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Otrenia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:15 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Otrenia wrote:If this is the closest vote ever, I hope I get a plaque or something! :lol:

This whole event should get a plaque: "The Days A Thousand Totalitarins Collectively Shit Brix"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cardoness
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cardoness » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:17 pm

No, it should have never been that close. It should have passed without everyone on the edge of their seat. If this proposal had been submitted to the other ambassadors for consideration and drafting, like I have done with its repeal, there would never have been an issue.
Speaker Andreas, Ambassador to the World Assembly, Founder of the United League of Nations.
Frustrated Franciscans wrote:We are firmly against the godless, utopian, progressive overreach that a small number of nations in the World Assembly want to impose upon the multiverse...

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Cardoness wrote:

No, it should have never been that close. It should have passed without everyone on the edge of their seat. If this proposal had been submitted to the other ambassadors for consideration and drafting, like I have done with its repeal, there would never have been an issue.

... So posting it on a forum for everyone to read and interpret doesn't count? Hell, putting ON THE FRONT PAGE of the World Assembly's quorum doesn't count? :eyebrow:

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Otrenia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Otrenia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:21 pm

Cardoness wrote:

Way to ruin the mood :eyebrow: Also I didn't know I was supposed to post it in the forum, not that I'm sorry but just FYI.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:24 pm

Otrenia wrote:Way to ruin the mood :eyebrow: Also I didn't know I was supposed to post it in the forum, not that I'm sorry but just FYI.

Honestly? I think it was for the best, considering a mod needs to embolden and agrandize exacting text just to ensure people stop misinterpreting and misrepresenting what the resolution actually does.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Cardoness
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cardoness » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:25 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Cardoness wrote:

... So posting it on a forum for everyone to read and interpret doesn't count? Hell, putting ON THE FRONT PAGE of the World Assembly's quorum doesn't count? :eyebrow:

Once submitted nothing could be changed. People could either vote for it or not, and many of the flaws would have been corrected and peoples issues with it worked out. This could have been a really good resolution. But the fact of the matter is that it wasn't.
Speaker Andreas, Ambassador to the World Assembly, Founder of the United League of Nations.
Frustrated Franciscans wrote:We are firmly against the godless, utopian, progressive overreach that a small number of nations in the World Assembly want to impose upon the multiverse...

Otrenia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Otrenia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:27 pm

Cardoness wrote:
Once submitted nothing could be changed. People could either vote for it or not, and many of the flaws would have been corrected and peoples issues with it worked out. This could have been a really good resolution. But the fact of the matter is that it wasn't.

Perhaps some of us are tired of watered-down proposals. Perhaps I didn't want to compromise and just wanted people to vote, that's my right.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Cardoness wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Judging by your repeal's reasoning, your intentions are to weaken the strictness of the bill, while also twisting the definition of "conscientious objection", probably what led to the mods agrandizing and bolding the text, to suit your own agenda.

But I digress. The Rich Port already encourages soldiers to question or rebel against weak, unethical, rogue, or misguided commanders. I think it will make the armed forces STRONGER. Not just anyone can lead soldiers into war, ya know.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Cardoness
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cardoness » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:51 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Cardoness wrote:

Judging by your repeal's reasoning, your intentions are to weaken the strictness of the bill, while also twisting the definition of "conscientious objection", probably what led to the mods agrandizing and bolding the text, to suit your own agenda.

But I digress. The Rich Port already encourages soldiers to question or rebel against weak, unethical, rogue, or misguided commanders. I think it will make the armed forces STRONGER. Not just anyone can lead soldiers into war, ya know.

Not at all, my intention is to repeal this resolution. After that I intend to help get the other proposal ready for submission. After that, I intend to help get it passed so we can have a conscientious objector resolution in place without the gaping loophole.

OCC: take it from a former solder, everyone, yes everyone, is a conscientious objector when someone is shooting at you. "War is Hell." "It is good that war is so terrible, else we should grow too fond of it."

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Cardoness wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Not at all, my intention is to repeal this resolution. After that I intend to help get the other proposal ready for submission. After that, I intend to help get it passed so we can have a conscientious objector resolution in place without the gaping loophole.

OCC: take it from a former solder, everyone, yes everyone, is a conscientious objector when someone is shooting at you. "War is Hell." "It is good that war is so terrible, else we should grow too fond of it."

"Gaping loophole"?

OOC: Ironically enough, I never had to go to war to grow unfond of it. I just had an uncle that stabbed himself in the arm with a steak knife, claiming he needed "to amputate so that gangrene doesn't set in". :meh:

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Otrenia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Otrenia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 pm

You know, that loophole was on purpose 8)

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:02 pm

Otrenia wrote:You know, that loophole was on purpose 8)

What loophole is this?

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Otrenia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Otrenia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:12 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Otrenia wrote:You know, that loophole was on purpose 8)

What loophole is this?

I'm pretty sure he means the alleged "or other reasons" loophole.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:13 pm

Otrenia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
What loophole is this?

I dunno... Do you really need a reason to opt out of needless bloodshed?
Last edited by The Rich Port on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Otrenia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Otrenia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:15 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Otrenia wrote:

I dunno... Do you really need a reason to opt out of needless bloodshed?

That's what I'm saying! Besides if you can get our for a reason you can fake your way out for any reason if your life depends on it (which it sort of would if you were being conscripted).

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:22 am

*detaches plaque from Liberate Free Thought*

*hands over to Otrenia*

*bows and leaves*

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:24 am

Sedgistan wrote:

*detaches plaque from Liberate Free Thought*

*hands over to Otrenia*

*bows and leaves*

*lights a cigar*

I've worked with a lot of cats in my days, but that one's got class. :lol:
Last edited by Unibot II on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:10 am

The pair of Fae girls run over and tightly hug the Otrenian Ambassador, thanking him for a fine resolution. "That was pretty close," says Alexandra, smiling broadly. "Gotta say, I was starting to doubt it would pass."

"I just hope it stays," adds Rowan. "This resolution suits the policy of Eireann Fae too much. There is bound to be lots of opposition..."

Warzone Codger
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Warzone Codger » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:26 am

OOC: Well, I suppose this resolutin allows for *great* roleplays, especially for a war themed region like mine (His Czarness is not impressed by the number of "COing" deserters!). I was looking for a way to encourage roleplaying back here and be less dependent on other unspeakable things in this Assembly ;)
Last edited by Warzone Codger on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warwick Z Codger the Warzone Codger.
Warzone Pioneer | Peacezone Philosopher | Scourge of Polls | Forever Terror Officer of TRR
GA #121: Medical Facilities Protection | SC #183: Commend Haiku | Commended by SC #87: Commend Warzone Codger

Punk Reloaded
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Punk Reloaded » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:02 am

Sad sad sad day for this to pass.

very sad.
Former Delegate of The West Pacific
Former Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

Punk Reloaded - Retired
Big D Baby - Retired
Punk Daddy - Citizen of TSP

In TWP, we go Commando. - Darkesia

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:19 am

Glen-Rhodes has enacted into law a reassurance that mandatory military service cannot be subverted by means other than genuine religious or ideological opposition to war, to be determined by the armed forces. This resolution shall have no affect on the status quo, as it is a most irresponsible and dangerous resolution.

- Dr. B. Castro

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:26 am

Yes, you will get this plaque:
THOU SHALT USE THE FORUMS THE NEXT TIME THOU SHALT RAM ANYTHING DOWN THE WORLD ASSEMBLY'S THROAT
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Embolalia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Embolalia » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:56 am

"No," an aide whispers to his colleague, "you tell him!"
"Why me? It's your job."
"Yes, but I have seniority."
"Fine. But you owe me." The aide walks into Ambassador LLwyd's office and closes the door. "Mr. Ambassador?"
"Yes, eh, was it..." The ambassador trails off.
"Jones, sir. Evan Jones. I, uh, I came to inform you of the results of the latest vote."
Ambassador LLwyd's expression sours. "Isn't that William's job?"
"Yes, sir. He, ah, delegated the task to me, in order to avoid what he precieved to be possible negative consequences."
"Ah. Right. What was the vote, then?"
"Well, sir, it would seem that the tally, on the whole, would, whilst considering the procedural methodology used in calculation of voting totals, indicate an overall non-negative general response to the issue at hand."
"What?" The ambassador gives the aide an incredulous look.
"It passed, sir."
"WHAT!" the ambassador screams. He grabs the Current Compendium of GA Resolutions off his desk, and hurls the 80 page tome at the aide. The aide dives out of the way in time for the book to whiz past his ear and knock an 8.5"x11" hole through the wall behind him. "Are you frakking kidding me?" The aide huddles in a corner and prepares himself for the next object to be hurled at him. "I spent MONTHS -" Three-hole punch. "Drafting the PERFECT PROPOSAL" Green Swingline stapler. "Battling over EVERY" Bottle of over-the-counter painkillers. "LITTLE" Portable hard drive. "DETAIL!" Coffee mug. "And this random little FRAKKER" Gavel. "Whips something up in TWO BLOODY MINUTES!" Swiss Army knife, electronic photo frame, cell phone. "Doesn't even post it on the FORUM!" Satsuma. "And they bloody PASS IT!" Pack of gum. He must be out of ammo, thinks the aide. "What the FRAK!" Desk chair. [i]Guess not[i]. "God. The people we get in this place. Get out."
The aide counts his limbs, verifies they're all present, and slinks out the door, closing it behind him. A coffee-toting coworker asks, "how'd he take it?" The aide grabs the coffee, throws it in the coworker's face, and walks away.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
Bible quote? No, that's just common sense.
/ˌɛmboʊˈlɑːliːʌ/
The United Commonwealth of Embolalia

Gafin Gower, Prime minister
E. Rory Hywel, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Gwaredd LLwyd, Lieutenant Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author: GA#95, GA#107, GA#132, GA#185
Philimbesi wrote:Repeal, resign, or relax.

Embassy Exchange
EBC News
My mostly worthless blog
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
Liberal atheist bisexual, and proud of it.
@marcmack wrote:I believe we can build a better world! Of course, it'll take a whole lot of rock, water & dirt. Also, not sure where to put it."

Otrenia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Otrenia » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:56 am

Firstly I would like to say, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"Thank you, Thank you!" says the Otrenian ambassador while bowing. "Now off to the after-party to view the hilarious reactions of various warmongers."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives