NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Commend Mahaj

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Iron Rebel
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Iron Rebel » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:15 am

These proposals are getting ridiculous, I mean they are annoying, highly unnecessary. Kind of seems like Cormac is just desperate to pass one for attention, since the split personality Cormac vs Rainbow thing backfired.

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:34 am

KaelThas Quilor wrote:And reminding her of that is unnecessary and annoying, Cormac

Honestly, Quilor, what did you expect? :roll:
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:10 pm

Ridersyl wrote:
KaelThas Quilor wrote:And reminding her of that is unnecessary and annoying, Cormac

Honestly, Quilor, what did you expect? :roll:

Honestly, Syl, when are you going to stop following Cormac around in threads to make snide remarks. :roll:
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

KaelThas Quilor
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby KaelThas Quilor » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:03 pm

When it stops being fun for him? I dunno.
The Main Nation of the Player also known as Cerian Quilor. I am still Cerian the player, just with a different Main.
The Bruce wrote:I sometimes suspect that Cerian Quilor is here to harvest the tears of young, ambitious nations.

Cormac Stark wrote:my opinion of me, as usual, is the only one that matters. :p
Attorney General, Republic of Europeia
Captain in the Europeian Republican Navy
Citizen, The New Inqusition

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:06 pm

So this is postponed now then? :meh:

Ynys Prydain
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ynys Prydain » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:32 pm

Consular wrote:So this is postponed now then? :meh:

All of my drafts are postponed for submission for a week or two. I've just campaigned for two repeals and counter-campaigned a commendation; I would prefer to give Delegates a little bit of time to forget how sick they probably are of hearing from me before hearing from me again. :P

I'm still planning to pursue all proposals marked as postponed, eventually, though, albeit on an undetermined timetable, and people are free to continue commenting. I just wanted to be clear that none of these will be submitted anytime in the immediate future.
Last edited by Ynys Prydain on Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cormac

Χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά (Naught Without Labor)

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:51 pm

Tim-Opolis wrote:Honestly, Syl, when are you going to stop following Cormac around in threads to make snide remarks. :roll:

He participates in the Gameplay forum, and the Security Council forum when it interests him.
I participate in Gameplay forum, and the Security Council forum when it interests me.
We don't like each other.
I post unfriendly remarks to him in the threads we both end up clicking on.
"Syl, stop following Cormac around!"

:lol: Honestly Tim, no.
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:59 pm

Ynys Prydain wrote:
Consular wrote:So this is postponed now then? :meh:

All of my drafts are postponed for submission for a week or two. I've just campaigned for two repeals and counter-campaigned a commendation; I would prefer to give Delegates a little bit of time to forget how sick they probably are of hearing from me before hearing from me again. :P

I'm still planning to pursue all proposals marked as postponed, eventually, though, albeit on an undetermined timetable, and people are free to continue commenting. I just wanted to be clear that none of these will be submitted anytime in the immediate future.

*nods* That makes sense. Spam their inboxes too much and they'll vote against you just out of spite.

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:16 am

Consular wrote:*nods* That makes sense. Spam their inboxes too much and they'll vote against you just out of spite.

It depends on the account used for each mass-telegram, the content of the telegrams, and a few other factors.
Just some weeb.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:31 am

Ramaeus wrote:
Consular wrote:*nods* That makes sense. Spam their inboxes too much and they'll vote against you just out of spite.

It depends on the account used for each mass-telegram, the content of the telegrams, and a few other factors.

And how many hidden puppets one has.... :p
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:29 am

I'm not commenting on gameplay aspects since there are better people than I to give their 2 cents.

I'll only touch on the resolutions you mentioned on the proposal. I have to say, no offense to Mahaj, the majority of his resolutions are not of high quality. He did a lot of them, that's true, but quantity does not trump quality.
Last edited by Goddess Relief Office on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keeper of The World Tree - Yggdrasil
General Assembly:
GA#053 - Epidemic Response Act
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS
GA#223 - Transboundary Water Use Act

Security Council:
SC#030 - Commend 10000 Islands (co-author)
SC#044 - Commend Texas (co-author)
SC#066 - Repeal "Liberate Wonderful Paradise"
SC#108 - Liberate South Pacific
SC#135 - Liberate Anarchy (co-author)
SC#139 - Repeal "Liberate South Pacific"

Former delegate and retired defender
Nice links for easy reference:
Passed WA Resolutions | GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | GA Rules

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2005

Postby Drop Your Pants » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:24 am

Ynys Prydain wrote:I believe Mahaj is a worthy defender, as do several others who have commented in this thread.

I can find Tim and Topid supporting it, a random UDL member arguing morals with Syl and the short essay from Bruce. I miss anyone agreeing that Mahaj is a worthy defender?
Happily oblivious to NS Drama and I rarely pay attention beyond 5 minutes

Ynys Prydain
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ynys Prydain » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:11 pm

Drop Your Pants wrote:
Ynys Prydain wrote:I believe Mahaj is a worthy defender, as do several others who have commented in this thread.

I can find Tim and Topid supporting it, a random UDL member arguing morals with Syl and the short essay from Bruce. I miss anyone agreeing that Mahaj is a worthy defender?

Who would you prefer that I commend? You? No. :lol:

I'm not commending Mahaj for being "a worthy defender" anyway. As others have noted, commending someone just for defending isn't sufficient.
Last edited by Ynys Prydain on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cormac

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:51 pm

Why isn't Dyp commend worthy?
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Ynys Prydain
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ynys Prydain » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:24 pm

Solorni wrote:Why isn't Dyp commend worthy?

He may be worthy of commendation, but I'm not personally interested in commending him. I could vote for someone else's proposal to commend him, potentially, but it's not something I personally feel the need to author.
Cormac

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Postby Drop Your Pants » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:42 am

Solorni wrote:Why isn't Dyp commend worthy?

Because i'm not a high ranking defender, all i do is chase TBR and yell abuse at my colleagues for being useless :P I'll take a condemn though.

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:44 am

You were delegate of Lazarus though
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Evil Wolf
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:49 am

Solorni wrote:You were delegate of Lazarus though

Pffft, like that's something anyone would put in a Commend.

*trollface*
It's ok! You can trust me! I've been Commended!

Kryozerkia wrote:In the good old days raiding was illegal
Crazy Girl wrote:Invading was never illegal
[violet] wrote:There is supposed to be an invasion game.

Mallorea and Riva should be a Game Moderator Game Administrator.

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Postby Drop Your Pants » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:54 am

Solorni wrote:You were delegate of Lazarus though

Another good reason to condemn me :P

Great Brigantia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Brigantia » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:40 am

"The Royal Commonwealth of Great Brigantia is pleased to announce that we will be taking up this draft," says Quinton Grayson, Secretary of World Assembly Affairs, a cup of coffee in one hand and The Miniluv Messenger in the other. "Our delegation will be submitting this draft to the Security Council Commendation Board sometime in the next few days. In the meantime, we would appreciate constructive suggestions from other delegations."
Last edited by Great Brigantia on Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cormac

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:10 pm

I may disagree with Mahaj getting a commend, but good luck bud. :)
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

Benevolent Thomas
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benevolent Thomas » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:20 pm

Cormac, this is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent commendation.

AGAINST

I just can't do it. Not to be "that guy" but Mahaj is a name that has become synonymous with incompetency. Yes, he has a lot of SC proposals under his belt. Yes, he was a member of the UDL's hierarchy. Yes, he's had roles in the GCRs. But that does not mean that there is any quality to this quantity of "achievement". His SC resolutions are meh (written that is. Some of them are of actual importance), his tenure as UDL's CotB was one of the organization's decline, and I can't recall Mahaj being integral to any GCR community (although I wouldn't count that as noteworthy anyways. How is being a big shot in Osiris any more special than being important to a region such as Europeia or Taijitu?).

Don't hate me Mahaj. I like you, I just don't think you're commend worthy.
Ballotonia wrote:Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong with a game if it willfully allows the destruction of longtime player communities in favor of kids whose sole purpose is to enjoy ruining the game for others.

Ambroscus Koth
Ambassador

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ambroscus Koth » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Great Brigantia wrote:"The Royal Commonwealth of Great Brigantia is pleased to announce that we will be taking up this draft," says Quinton Grayson, Secretary of World Assembly Affairs, a cup of coffee in one hand and The Miniluv Messenger in the other. "Our delegation will be submitting this draft to the Security Council Commendation Board sometime in the next few days. In the meantime, we would appreciate constructive suggestions from other delegations."

Ambroscus Koth slides into the room, snatching a copy of the draft in question on the way to his seat...

"Ah...so you're the new ambassador from Cormac's administration, eh? Quinton, Quinton, I'm sure we'll get along fine. So about this here proposal!" Koth slammed the paper down onto the table and sat dangerously far back in his chair, slowly stroking his beard as he thought over his words.

"The State of Mahaj has been a thorn in my side for years, they have...always mucking around in our invasion plans. Alas! I knew a day would come where someone would seriously attempt to commend that damned Capitals-loving administration, and by god is this draft a piece of art. Don't think I missed that 'swiftly' reference either...SC#95 was one hell of a ride," Koth rambled as be began chuckling at the memory of Liberate Christmas. Oh, the good ol' days...

"In any case, there's a few things I don't really like here. First and foremost is the part about his contributions to Osiris. Sure, he was definitely THERE, and he was loyal and did some work...but hardly enough to throw into a commendation. Call me back when he does some ASBS tier shit, ya know? Now that's what I call padding!" Koth took a long drink from his mug of coffee, emptying it with frightening speed. He shook his head and continued,

"Blegh, the UDL. Hate seeing that joke of an organization show up in proposals. Of course the organization improved relations during his administration...the org no longer had a Unibot-sized anchor holding it down in the foreign affairs department! I hardly think Mahaj through his own force of personality achieved that. Let's not forget that the UDL nosedived in activity and pretty much became even more of a joke than it already was once he took over. Wasn't he pretty inactive for most of his tenure as Chief as well? Tsk tsk..." Koth cleared his throat and scribbled something down on his copy of the draft before continuing,

"And finally, his resolutions. I'll have you know that I still, to this very day, custom order toilet paper to have miniature copies of Liberate Christmas on each sheet. That's how much I think of the quality of most of his work. Typos, weak arguments, hasty writing, generally not the best this esteemed body has ever passed...but that's really as far as my opinion goes on this proposal. Honestly, I think it has a good chance of passing, but after all that nation has put my people through, I doubt I can vote for it in good faith, Ambassador Grayson."

EDIT: typos are fun
Last edited by Ambroscus Koth on Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☀ Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris (x2) ☀
Lieutenant of The Black Hawks | Sovereign General of the DEN
♥ Drunk married to Aurum Rider | Author of SC#172

Miniluv: Stability is Stagnation!

Great Brigantia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Brigantia » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:16 pm

Quinton Grayson clears his throat and loosens his tie, taking a sip of a clear liquid that ambassadors should assume is water. "Lots to get through here. Right, let's get to it..."

Benevolent Thomas wrote:<snip>

Ambroscus Koth wrote:<snip>

I'm going to respond to both of you with the same comments, as you make very similar points.

I don't think Mahaj's Security Council resolutions can be dismissed as "meh." Some are of higher quality than others, but the resolutions that are arguably of lesser quality are the liberation resolutions. Only so much can go into liberation resolutions; the situations are usually very similar, and there isn't much that is new or interesting to say about raiders imposing a password on a region they've been occupying. What's important about liberation resolutions is getting the job done before it's too late, and Mahaj has delivered in that regard.

Regarding the UDL's decline, that decline began the moment Unibot resigned as Chief of the Band. I say this not to place blame on Unibot, but rather to point out the unique role Unibot played in the UDL's operation. Unibot essentially did the work of an entire regional government. Very few people can take up that level of responsibility. After Unibot resigned, the absurdly long Conclave process -- which was designed by Solm, not by Mahaj -- left the UDL without a leader for months, during which many UDL members just faded away. By the time Mahaj was elected Chief of the Band, the UDL had already significantly declined. Another way to look at it, than what you've proposed, is that it's remarkable the UDL didn't completely collapse and disband after Unibot's resignation. I think that's the more accurate way to look at it and I think Mahaj deserves the credit for holding things together during, undoubtedly, the most difficult period in the UDL's history.

Finally, regarding Mahaj's participation in Osiris, I don't think it is anymore significant than participation in a region like Europeia or Taijitu. There have been others that have been commended for participation in Feeder and Sinker regions, as well as other regions. There's no question to those that also participated in Osiris during Mahaj's tenure there, particularly in the region's earlier history, that Mahaj's contributions were significant and demonstrated dedication to the community. That is as valuable in Mahaj's case as it was in the cases of, for example, Eluvatar, Mcmasterdonia, Astarial, etc.
Last edited by Great Brigantia on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cormac

Drop Your Pants
Senator

Postby Drop Your Pants » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:41 am

implemented important reforms in the way the UDL engaged with the most prominent regional communities in the world

He certainly did, and not all for the best.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives