NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Asbestos Consumption, Disposal+Worker Protection

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:54 am

"I would put another clause in the preamble about the dangers of asbestos, since you currently have two stating its advantages and only one on its disadvantages."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Erithaca
Envoy

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:08 pm

A Bright Future wrote:When I first read this I was also confused by the word extraction thinking it meant removal. Only after reviewing some relevant literature did I see it meant effectively mining. So I would encourage revising that word for added clarity.
I will change it to mining.
I still think that there should be another clause on safe disposal. When I said that I didn't mean how you take it away from the site but rather where does it go in the end. I am not sure on the science and engineering behind this but would expect the resolution to at least provide guidance to states on final disposal. There may be existing legislation on hazardous waste disposal but I have not reviewed the body of law for that.
There are no previous resolutions on the topic. A clause on the matter have been added.
Jeremić ABF

Ooc. House of cards rule prevents explicit references to earlier resolutions if I understand it correctly. So consider changing that in the preamble.

I will remove that part of the preamble.

Kenmoria wrote:"I would put another clause in the preamble about the dangers of asbestos, since you currently have two stating its advantages and only one on its disadvantages."
I will add another clause about friability.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:57 am

Mentoka wrote:Most of this reads as something any reasonable nation would do in the first place. Does this really need to be enshrined within international law? Does the World Assembly really need to be in the business of regulating renovations and construction codes? Is that not why nations rely on municipal governments to do those tedious tasks?

I see no real pressing need for any of this, and as such there is no way I can ever support this, in any shape or form.

Larry Chaffee
World Assembly Representative

"There are several things that any reasonable nation would do, but one has to remember that a large percentage of countries in the World Assembly are not reasonable. If the WA were not to enforce the mandates contained within this draft, there is a high chance several member states would ignore the carcinogenic effects of asbestos and continue to use it with disregard for their citizen's health. As such, Kenmoria declares its support for this proposal."
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:06 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Mentoka wrote:Most of this reads as something any reasonable nation would do in the first place. Does this really need to be enshrined within international law? Does the World Assembly really need to be in the business of regulating renovations and construction codes? Is that not why nations rely on municipal governments to do those tedious tasks?

I see no real pressing need for any of this, and as such there is no way I can ever support this, in any shape or form.

Larry Chaffee
World Assembly Representative

"There are several things that any reasonable nation would do, but one has to remember that a large percentage of countries in the World Assembly are not reasonable. If the WA were not to enforce the mandates contained within this draft, there is a high chance several member states would ignore the carcinogenic effects of asbestos and continue to use it with disregard for their citizen's health. As such, Kenmoria declares its support for this proposal."

I agree. The World has its fair share of Psychotic Dictatorships, who don't care about people dying of lung cancer. I agree with your principle that the GA should refrain from intervention, but this is necessary.
Last edited by Erithaca on Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:32 pm

"You're missing crocidolite from the list of asbestos types."
My pronouns are he/him.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:25 pm

Kenmoria wrote:"You're missing crocidolite from the list of asbestos types."

Of course! I will add it.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:25 pm

Erithaca wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:"You're missing crocidolite from the list of asbestos types."

Of course! I will add it.

Also, the newly-added crocidolite has messed up the list labelling, you have two subclauses “e”s.
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:45 am

Erithaca wrote:I agree. The World has its fair share of Psychotic Dictatorships, who don't care about people dying of lung cancer. I agree with your principle that the GA should refrain from intervention, but this is necessary.

OOC: You realize that "Psychotic Dictatorship" is a nation category that you get if your major three stats are low enough? I tend to go between corrupt and psychotic dictatorship on Araraukar a lot, but I have 114th healthiest citizens in the world, currently. In addition to which, not everyone roleplays their issue choices, and making a single mistake on an issue can literally drop many of your stats by 50%, like I found to my detriment last year... >:(
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Erithaca wrote:I agree. The World has its fair share of Psychotic Dictatorships, who don't care about people dying of lung cancer. I agree with your principle that the GA should refrain from intervention, but this is necessary.

OOC: You realize that "Psychotic Dictatorship" is a nation category that you get if your major three stats are low enough? I tend to go between corrupt and psychotic dictatorship on Araraukar a lot, but I have 114th healthiest citizens in the world, currently. In addition to which, not everyone roleplays their issue choices, and making a single mistake on an issue can literally drop many of your stats by 50%, like I found to my detriment last year... >:(

I think you know what I meant. Some nations are literal psychotic dictatorships without respect for their ctizen's safety.

Kenmoria wrote:
Erithaca wrote:Of course! I will add it.

Also, the newly-added crocidolite has messed up the list labelling, you have two subclauses “e”s.

I will change the labelling.

Do you think that this is ready to be submitted?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:11 pm

"I would add the word “other” after “any” in 4e."
Erithaca wrote:Do you think that this is ready to be submitted?
(OOC: I can see no pressing issues, and it looks good for submission to me, but it might be worth waiting longer to see if anyone else has something to say. Also, the bolding isn't necessary in posts.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Erithaca wrote:I think you know what I meant. Some nations are literal psychotic dictatorships without respect for their ctizen's safety.

OOC: And some are ultra-capitalist nations who don't care about worker safety if it costs them money. Your point being?

As for ready to submit, no, unless you prefer dealing with the issues via a Legality Challenge. Your "Reaffirming GA #7" makes this whole thing sound like an amendment. Why? You don't need to mention GA #7 at all and your proposal will be fine. What minor duplication I can see won't be reason enough to be a problem, but "reaffirming" a whole resolution? That will be.

Also, I question the need or sensibility of mentioning specific minerals - hell, I question the idea of going after asbestos alone in the first place - instead of just banning production and use of asbestos, and then defining the physical properties of the material instead. Add in carsinogenicity and you have a catch-all definition, instead of letting nations get around this by claiming their asbestos doesn't come in any of those minerals.

And for the love of all that's good and kind, use the list code for your subclauses. If you don't know how, just ask, we'll help you. And lose the italics. You don't need IA swinging his weight against your proposal just because of italics.

Now then, clause #2 seems to ban removing asbestos entirely? Since allowing things "in which only non-friable materials are handled", when your preamble says asbestos is friable, makes it look like you're not allowed to touch asbestos. Especially asbestos lining that's not in good condition (thus property owner wanting to get rid of it). Also, 2.d. right now reads as "deliberate exposure to asbestos shall only be allowed in air monitoring and control", which doesn't sound right. The bit after the "and" there is also clause 2.a. in its entirety.

The bit about asbestos mining ban - is that just when you're specifically mining for asbestos, or are you literally banned from removing those minerals from the ground (to, for example, get to the minerals underneath)? Because if the latter, that's going to be an issue.

Also, in clause 5, shouldn't the order of magnitude be employer - manufacturer - member nation, and not the other way round?

I would also suggest not using "skip" in 7.b. to mean a rubbish bin. "Waste container" sounds more professional. Also the subclauses of clause 7 should probably form an "and" list, so that you require all of those to be fulfilled at the same time.

Now, the big question is how did you intend to justify placing this in Health and not Environmental? Especially Health: Healthcare, as I don't see anything in this that would raise healthcare expenses. (Quite the contrary, since lower exposure rates would mean healthier citizens.) You don't even mandate prepaid healthcare to people who were exposed to asbestos, even if it's the employer's fault or due to an accident or whatnot.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:24 am

Kenmoria wrote:"I would add the word “other” after “any” in 4e."
Erithaca wrote:Do you think that this is ready to be submitted?
(OOC: I can see no pressing issues, and it looks good for submission to me, but it might be worth waiting longer to see if anyone else has something to say. Also, the bolding isn't necessary in posts.)

Sorry, on mobile, it looked like quite a bit. I have added your suggestion for 4e.

My comments are in bold.

Araraukar wrote:
Erithaca wrote:I think you know what I meant. Some nations are literal psychotic dictatorships without respect for their ctizen's safety.

OOC: And some are ultra-capitalist nations who don't care about worker safety if it costs them money. Your point being?

There is no point nitpicking my every word. I meant that there are some nations that don't care about their citizen's welfare.

As for ready to submit, no, unless you prefer dealing with the issues via a Legality Challenge. Your "Reaffirming GA #7" makes this whole thing sound like an amendment. Why? You don't need to mention GA #7 at all and your proposal will be fine. What minor duplication I can see won't be reason enough to be a problem, but "reaffirming" a whole resolution? That will be.

Alright then. I will remove that clause. It doesn't seem like an amendment to me at all though.

Also, I question the need or sensibility of mentioning specific minerals - hell, I question the idea of going after asbestos alone in the first place - instead of just banning production and use of asbestos, and then defining the physical properties of the material instead. Add in carsinogenicity and you have a catch-all definition, instead of letting nations get around this by claiming their asbestos doesn't come in any of those minerals.

OOC: Those 6 minerals are the definition of asbestos. They make up what asbestos is and are used in several institutions such as the EU. Anything else is simply not asbestos- there is no "other kind".

And for the love of all that's good and kind, use the list code for your subclauses. If you don't know how, just ask, we'll help you. And lose the italics. You don't need IA swinging his weight against your proposal just because of italics.

I will find out the list code and use it. OOC: I will remove the italics, even though that is how IRL GA resolutions are done.

Now then, clause #2 seems to ban removing asbestos entirely? Since allowing things "in which only non-friable materials are handled", when your preamble says asbestos is friable, makes it look like you're not allowed to touch asbestos. Especially asbestos lining that's not in good condition (thus property owner wanting to get rid of it). Also, 2.d. right now reads as "deliberate exposure to asbestos shall only be allowed in air monitoring and control", which doesn't sound right. The bit after the "and" there is also clause 2.a. in its entirety.

I will remove the part about friability from 2.

The bit about asbestos mining ban - is that just when you're specifically mining for asbestos, or are you literally banned from removing those minerals from the ground (to, for example, get to the minerals underneath)? Because if the latter, that's going to be an issue.

I will make it refer to mining for asbestos.

Also, in clause 5, shouldn't the order of magnitude be employer - manufacturer - member nation, and not the other way round?

Good idea. I wil change it.

I would also suggest not using "skip" in 7.b. to mean a rubbish bin. "Waste container" sounds more professional. Also the subclauses of clause 7 should probably form an "and" list, so that you require all of those to be fulfilled at the same time.

You are right. "Waste container" would be better. 7 is already written in a way inclusive of every measure. It is an "and" list.

Now, the big question is how did you intend to justify placing this in Health and not Environmental? Especially Health: Healthcare, as I don't see anything in this that would raise healthcare expenses. (Quite the contrary, since lower exposure rates would mean healthier citizens.) You don't even mandate prepaid healthcare to people who were exposed to asbestos, even if it's the employer's fault or due to an accident or whatnot.
The Area of Effect is wrong. I will change it to "Environmental", which, while being slightly odd, is the most appropriate.

The proposal has been submitted.
Last edited by Erithaca on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Presumably, most nations have already banned asbestos, and its uses are limited, so this proposal should probably be placed in the Mild subcategory.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Presumably, most nations have already banned asbestos, and its uses are limited, so this proposal should probably be placed in the Mild subcategory.

I have put it in the Mild category. Thanks for the advice!

A Bright Future
Spokesperson

Founded: May 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby A Bright Future » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:07 pm

I wish this resolution all the bestos!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:so this proposal should probably be placed in the Mild subcategory.

OOC: That AoE/Strength change still needs to be added to the actual proposal rules sticky, by the way.

A Bright Future wrote:I wish this resolution all the bestos!

*sets the pun on fire*
Last edited by Araraukar on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Araraukar wrote:*sets the pun on fire*

Failure to light.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:50 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

Failure to light.

OOC: But they've just banned asbestos, it'll burn. *turns up the heat*

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:22 pm

OOC: *adds chlorine trifluoride.*
Are you running a campaign?
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:06 am

Aclion wrote:OOC: *adds chlorine trifluoride.*
Are you running a campaign?

*ducks under table, sheltering resolution text from the fire, makes a proposal about volatile gases. *
For real life- related reasons, I have postponed the submission until next week. I will run a campaign then. For now, it is open for suggestions.

Edrarin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Edrarin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:12 am

"After consultation with my colleagues, the Edrarin Federation supports this proposal. Seeing that the widespread use of asbestos is illegal in Edrarin, we give you our full support and offer you the best for this proposal"
Michael Yeltsin
Federal Unions ambassador to the World Assembly

A Bright Future
Spokesperson

Founded: May 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby A Bright Future » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:42 am

Having reviewed the relevant internet encyclopedia entries, we have come to the conclusion that the difficulties with setting the aforementioned expression on fire may lie in the fact that it is not a pun, or 'paronomasia', but in fact a malapropism. Try setting that on fire!

Stickler Pedantić
Professor Emeritus of Annoyance and Irriation
ABF City Polytechnic

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:59 am

A Bright Future wrote:Stickler Pedantić
Professor Emeritus of Annoyance and Irriation
ABF City Polytechnic

*sets on fire*

OOC: As for mentioning the minerals, if asbestos doesn't exist in any other form, then why do you need to list the minerals at all? EDIT: And I still would suggest adding an "and" at the end of the second-to-last subclause of clause 7. Additionally, are you trying to mandate that all waste is tested for asbestos contents, or is that only for waste suspected of containing asbestos? And how do you measure the percentage? Weight? Volume? Other? And what if you're dumping a really big pile of rubbish at once that sill has a big pile of asbestos in, let's say pure dust form, but as a whole load it doesn't amount to that 0.1%?
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erithaca
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Erithaca » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:16 am

The proposal has been submitted.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:20 am

Erithaca wrote:The proposal has been submitted.

Good luck with submission.
My pronouns are he/him.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives