NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Repeal "Prevention of Torture" by Ultramarr

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Remove ads

User avatar
Tinhampton
Minister
 
Posts: 3218
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Stugislavistan wrote:This act needs to be repealed. It stops my nation from allowing interrogation, and infringes on some religious areas, which I now have to stop, thus creating minor political uprisings.

Theresa Waterman, staff at the Tinhamptonian WA Delegation and self-proclaimed Wicketkeeper-in-Chief: According to these statistics... (checks through World Census records) Your nation is about a week old, and nothing in the World Dispatches and Factbooks Authority* says to the contrary. However, a quick trawl through this WDFA library or whatever it's called today did reveal your proclaimation** that "We can do what we want. This is our nation!" Well, if you really want to do what you want, leave the World Assembly. You won't be bound by that resolution then. Have I made myself clear?

*The WDFA is my In-Character international-organisation plot device thingy, an IC centralised list of all the (OOC - but some of them are IC overviews, which makes it even more confusing) factbooks to currently exist.
**OOC link: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=stu ... /id=881986
Frisbeeteria wrote:Edit: Ninja'd by a padlock
Challenge me | TG me
Tests: PolComp, 8values
British
+161 posts by Finlarvat
Posts of Win
[REDACTED] | Sweet chaos | Beware the evil carrots
COCANEFA chants | CANTERLOT: Public Enemy #1
United, we are strong. | Modly truths | Fenda tools
Saint Josephtan | Costa Rican empanadas!
Guelder wrote:I also support banning Arabic numerals

Guelder wrote:No, i only want the current 123-numbers used in the western world

Risottia wrote:
Thunder Place wrote:I, for one, chant anti mars slogans every earth day.

Bloody Snickersists.
The Self-Administrative City of Tinhampton Proudly Urban, Unashamedly Rural Factbooks IC Achievements Reference
Mayor: John Price (UCP; centre-right). Delegate-Ambassador to the WA: Alexander Smith (NatSov). Assistant: Jamie Williamson (IntFed).

User avatar
Fauxia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1549
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Capitalizt

Postby Fauxia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Stugislavistan wrote:This act needs to be repealed. It stops my nation from allowing interrogation, and infringes on some religious areas, which I now have to stop, thus creating minor political uprisings.

Theresa Waterman, staff at the Tinhamptonian WA Delegation and self-proclaimed Wicketkeeper-in-Chief: According to these statistics... (checks through World Census records) Your nation is about a week old, and nothing in the World Dispatches and Factbooks Authority* says to the contrary. However, a quick trawl through this WDFA library or whatever it's called today did reveal your proclaimation** that "We can do what we want. This is our nation!" Well, if you really want to do what you want, leave the World Assembly. You won't be bound by that resolution then. Have I made myself clear?

*The WDFA is my In-Character international-organisation plot device thingy, an IC centralised list of all the (OOC - but some of them are IC overviews, which makes it even more confusing) factbooks to currently exist.
**OOC link: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=stu ... /id=881986
"You can be a national sovereigntist in the WA but good luck convincing a bunch of communists- ahem- globalists that something shouldn't be passed because you don't want your nation to be interfered with. I, personally, lean towards sovereigntism myself, but torture is immoral. I still think nation's should probably be allowed to use it in certain cases, but this repeal is terribly written."
A member of The Order of the Grey Wardens via Shadow Fauxia
Don't always take my posts so seriously, I joke a lot, especially on the Gameplay forum.
Yes, I know, I'm an idiot with a couple issues. Please help me to fix them.
A 16 civilization, according to this index
Araraukar wrote:Given your "accuracy" so far, anyone but you.
Bears Armed wrote:I am neither a Gramma Nazi nor a Grampa Nazi...
Separatist Peoples wrote:8. Bans abortions, nuclear weapons, bodily sovereignty, national sovereignty, and weaponized cats.
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Deputy: Evan Williamson, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Wallenburg
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17142
Founded: Jan 30, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wallenburg » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:39 am

"Repeal "Prevention of Torture"" was defeated 13,516 votes to 2,258.

We commit this resolution to the shredder, paper to paper, ink to ink, bad ideas to bad ideas.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WA ELITE 2: DISCORD BOOGALOO
There never has been, nor will there ever be, such thing as a wallenburger.
PRO: GOOD || ANTI: BAD

User avatar
Willania Imperium
Diplomat
 
Posts: 710
Founded: Feb 06, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Willania Imperium » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:45 am

Wallenburg wrote:
"Repeal "Prevention of Torture"" was defeated 13,516 votes to 2,258.

We commit this resolution to the shredder, paper to paper, ink to ink, bad ideas to bad ideas.


"Well, it lost. Honestly, it was no surprise. Anyone would know that it was doomed to fail in a heartbeat."

Pro: Capitalism, Socialism, Technological Advances, Science, Knowledge, Environmentalism, Cooperation, Pacifism, (Soft) Communism
Con: Fascism, Radicals, (Hard) Communism, Primitive Ideas
Social Liberal
Left: 6.22
Libertarian: 0.19
Foreign Policy: Moderate Non-Interventionalist
Culture: Moderate Cultural Liberal
WILLANIA IMPERIUM
[☮] -- Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a pacifist.
If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
[_★_]_[' ]_
( -_-) (-_Q) If you understand that both Capitalism and Socialism have ideas that deserve merit, put this in your signature.

A 13.7 civilization, according to this index.

User avatar
States of Glory WA Office
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1770
Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:01 pm

Willania Imperium wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:
"Repeal "Prevention of Torture"" was defeated 13,516 votes to 2,258.

We commit this resolution to the shredder, paper to paper, ink to ink, bad ideas to bad ideas.


"Well, it lost. Honestly, it was no surprise. Anyone would know that it was doomed to fail in a heartbeat."

Fairburn: That's what they said about World Space Administration.
Ambassador: Bartholomew Harper Fairburn Rowan Flowerhaze Souldream Bartholomew Harper Fairburn
Assistant: Neville Lynn Robert
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Other ambassadorial staff include but are not limited to Barbera Warner and Harold "The Clown" Johnson.

User avatar
Wallenburg
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17142
Founded: Jan 30, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wallenburg » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:03 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Willania Imperium wrote:
"Well, it lost. Honestly, it was no surprise. Anyone would know that it was doomed to fail in a heartbeat."

Fairburn: That's what they said about World Space Administration.

"Except, as most of us are aware, this no longer has an opportunity to slide its way into the law books."
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WA ELITE 2: DISCORD BOOGALOO
There never has been, nor will there ever be, such thing as a wallenburger.
PRO: GOOD || ANTI: BAD

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6839
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:04 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: That's what they said about World Space Administration.

Lots of things have changed since the passage of WSA. See The self-regulating Assembly
Delegate for Europe
Her Excellency Elsie Mortimer Wellesley PC MP
Ideological Bulwark 285

User avatar
States of Glory WA Office
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1770
Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: That's what they said about World Space Administration.

Lots of things have changed since the passage of WSA. See The self-regulating Assembly

Fairburn: The more things change, the more they stay the same. See Enabling the Disabled in Academia.
Ambassador: Bartholomew Harper Fairburn Rowan Flowerhaze Souldream Bartholomew Harper Fairburn
Assistant: Neville Lynn Robert
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Other ambassadorial staff include but are not limited to Barbera Warner and Harold "The Clown" Johnson.

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6839
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:46 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: The more things change, the more they stay the same. See Enabling the Disabled in Academia.

I don't think that was that bad of a proposal. Repeal was somewhat controversial in internal votes, and only got through due to a promise of replacement legislation – which has been delayed for reasons outside of my control.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delegate for Europe
Her Excellency Elsie Mortimer Wellesley PC MP
Ideological Bulwark 285

User avatar
Fauxia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1549
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Capitalizt

Postby Fauxia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:48 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: The more things change, the more they stay the same. See Enabling the Disabled in Academia.

I don't think that was that bad of a proposal. Repeal was somewhat controversial in internal votes, and only got through due to a promise of replacement legislation – which has been delayed for reasons outside of my control.
"What exactly does 'bad' mean?"
A member of The Order of the Grey Wardens via Shadow Fauxia
Don't always take my posts so seriously, I joke a lot, especially on the Gameplay forum.
Yes, I know, I'm an idiot with a couple issues. Please help me to fix them.
A 16 civilization, according to this index
Araraukar wrote:Given your "accuracy" so far, anyone but you.
Bears Armed wrote:I am neither a Gramma Nazi nor a Grampa Nazi...
Separatist Peoples wrote:8. Bans abortions, nuclear weapons, bodily sovereignty, national sovereignty, and weaponized cats.
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Deputy: Evan Williamson, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
States of Glory WA Office
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1770
Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Fauxia wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:I don't think that was that bad of a proposal. Repeal was somewhat controversial in internal votes, and only got through due to a promise of replacement legislation – which has been delayed for reasons outside of my control.
"What exactly does 'bad' mean?"

Harold: The opposite of 'good', of course!
Ambassador: Bartholomew Harper Fairburn Rowan Flowerhaze Souldream Bartholomew Harper Fairburn
Assistant: Neville Lynn Robert
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Other ambassadorial staff include but are not limited to Barbera Warner and Harold "The Clown" Johnson.

User avatar
Imperial Polk County
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 102
Founded: Aug 22, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Imperial Polk County » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:58 am

Wallenburg wrote:
"Repeal "Prevention of Torture"" was defeated 13,516 votes to 2,258.

We commit this resolution to the shredder, paper to paper, ink to ink, bad ideas to bad ideas.

The Polkian ambassador enters the chamber. "And good riddance, too," he says, picking up his mason jar before leaving.
-- Herbert Jackson Drane IV, WA Ambassador of the newly independent Imperial Polk County, Population 665,000. That "xxx million" population stat? It's most certainly a typo.

User avatar
Iyanden
Envoy
 
Posts: 205
Founded: Aug 27, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Iyanden » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:27 am

Gramma Nazis everywhere

User avatar
Willania Imperium
Diplomat
 
Posts: 710
Founded: Feb 06, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Willania Imperium » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:27 am

Iyanden wrote:Gramma Nazis everywhere


If you think we voted against it for its inaccurate grammar, think again. The argument was poor, the draft was horrible, and it was an all-around piece of trash.

Pro: Capitalism, Socialism, Technological Advances, Science, Knowledge, Environmentalism, Cooperation, Pacifism, (Soft) Communism
Con: Fascism, Radicals, (Hard) Communism, Primitive Ideas
Social Liberal
Left: 6.22
Libertarian: 0.19
Foreign Policy: Moderate Non-Interventionalist
Culture: Moderate Cultural Liberal
WILLANIA IMPERIUM
[☮] -- Copy and paste this into your signature if you are a pacifist.
If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
[_★_]_[' ]_
( -_-) (-_Q) If you understand that both Capitalism and Socialism have ideas that deserve merit, put this in your signature.

A 13.7 civilization, according to this index.

User avatar
Fauxia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1549
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Capitalizt

Postby Fauxia » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:59 pm

Willania Imperium wrote:
Iyanden wrote:Gramma Nazis everywhere


If you think we voted against it for its inaccurate grammar, think again. The argument was poor, the draft was horrible, and it was an all-around piece of trash.
Eh, I actually did vote against it for the grammar. But that isn't being a grammar nazi. The repeal made no sense to me because of the lack of grammar
A member of The Order of the Grey Wardens via Shadow Fauxia
Don't always take my posts so seriously, I joke a lot, especially on the Gameplay forum.
Yes, I know, I'm an idiot with a couple issues. Please help me to fix them.
A 16 civilization, according to this index
Araraukar wrote:Given your "accuracy" so far, anyone but you.
Bears Armed wrote:I am neither a Gramma Nazi nor a Grampa Nazi...
Separatist Peoples wrote:8. Bans abortions, nuclear weapons, bodily sovereignty, national sovereignty, and weaponized cats.
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Deputy: Evan Williamson, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 15844
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:35 am

Willania Imperium wrote:
Iyanden wrote:Gramma Nazis everywhere


If you think we voted against it for its inaccurate grammar, think again. The argument was poor, the draft was horrible, and it was an all-around piece of trash.

I am neither a Gramma Nazi nor a Grampa Nazi...
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729.

User avatar
Fauxia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1549
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Capitalizt

Postby Fauxia » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:11 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Willania Imperium wrote:
If you think we voted against it for its inaccurate grammar, think again. The argument was poor, the draft was horrible, and it was an all-around piece of trash.

I am neither a Gramma Nazi nor a Grampa Nazi...
:clap: :clap: :clap: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Brilliant!
A member of The Order of the Grey Wardens via Shadow Fauxia
Don't always take my posts so seriously, I joke a lot, especially on the Gameplay forum.
Yes, I know, I'm an idiot with a couple issues. Please help me to fix them.
A 16 civilization, according to this index
Araraukar wrote:Given your "accuracy" so far, anyone but you.
Bears Armed wrote:I am neither a Gramma Nazi nor a Grampa Nazi...
Separatist Peoples wrote:8. Bans abortions, nuclear weapons, bodily sovereignty, national sovereignty, and weaponized cats.
Ambassador: Benedict Corwin, Deputy: Evan Williamson, Intern: Nicholas Cantor

User avatar
Iyanden
Envoy
 
Posts: 205
Founded: Aug 27, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Iyanden » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:24 am

Willania Imperium wrote:
Iyanden wrote:Gramma Nazis everywhere


If you think we voted against it for its inaccurate grammar, think again. The argument was poor, the draft was horrible, and it was an all-around piece of trash.

Hey keyboard warrior look at all the comments have a fit about gramma

User avatar
Wallenburg
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17142
Founded: Jan 30, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wallenburg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:29 pm

This is weeks old and discussion has died all apart from this "gramma" nonsense. Just let it die.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WA ELITE 2: DISCORD BOOGALOO
There never has been, nor will there ever be, such thing as a wallenburger.
PRO: GOOD || ANTI: BAD

Previous

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Remove ads