Welcome to the 13th edition of the Football World Cup! The draw was made on IRC at 17:00 GMT and witnessed by several senior nations. Here are the groups for qualifying:

Group 1
Stalag 5
Svecia
Skipdonia
Tanah Burung
BSE Free Bovines
Raptor Claw
Ravenspire
Alpha Commune
Melmond
Kingsford

Group 2
Halfassedstates
Hawcoat
Nikea
Steves Island
Brazillico
Largent
Pablicosta
Total n Utter Insanity
Indigo Islands
Aquilla

Group 3
Oddslavo
Anahit
Murphdawggia
Wella
Eaglet
EL CID THE HERO
Kerla
Belmorian Scandinavia
Hazatak
Zinkoland

Group 4
Gleam Street
Gesamtkuntswerk
Formula One Racing
Vozvyshennost
Anti-Nazis
Mordecei
Mattigool
Fortuna Prospera
Commerce Heights
The Eagles Nest

Group 5
Warnocks Wizards
Lovebug
Vilita
Dance 2 Revolution
Lovisa
Compound Interest
Aserjin
The Lowland Clans
Snub Nose 38
The Belmore Family

Group 6
Jagiellonia
Timway
One Red Dot
Giant Zucchini
The Weegies
The Alan Belmore Army
Lennon Marx
Crystilakere
NASTIC 2
Sliponia

Group 7
Antaeus Rising
New Cyprus
The Republic Army
Jaegermeistria
Haraki
Lemmitania
Squornshelous
Grand Master Mark
Jeruselem
Creedence Clearwater

Group 8
Europa Brittania
The Redavic Union
Just an egg
Gormith
Eauz
Tadjikistan
Intelligent Madness
Liverpool England
Zephyrs
East Spaam

Group 9
Aerigia
Oglethorpia
West Gaddland
Spaam
Runaway Moose
Pablitopia
Kaze Progressa
Praying2God
Gaddland
Alex The Tall

Group 10
Bedistan
Iansisle
Dennisov
Resistencia
Magnus Valerius
Audioslavia
Free Radicals of Mu-Mu
NEWI Cefn Druids
Fahigland
Avenging Altos

The top three teams in each group, along with hosts Rejistania and Cockbill Street, will qualify for the finals.

The schedule of games is as follows:

[code:1:460ff468e6]
Round 1: 1 v 10, 2 v 9, 3 v 8, 4 v 7, 5 v 6
Round 2: 10 v 6, 7 v 5, 8 v 4, 9 v 3, 1 v 2
Round 3: 2 v 10, 3 v 1, 4 v 9, 5 v 8, 6 v 7
Round 4: 10 v 7, 8 v 6, 9 v 5, 1 v 4, 2 v 3
Round 5: 3 v 10, 4 v 2, 5 v 1, 6 v 9, 7 v 8
Round 6: 10 v 8, 9 v 7, 1 v 6, 2 v 5, 3 v 4
Round 7: 4 v 10, 5 v 3, 6 v 2, 7 v 1, 8 v 9
Round 8: 10 v 9, 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5
Round 9: 5 v 10, 6 v 4, 7 v 3, 8 v 2, 9 v 1
[/code:1:460ff468e6]

World Cup 13 - Scores Thread

World Cup 13 - Squads aka Rosters

Vilkauos warns of Vilita Threat

Colony of Vilita Coach Helmut Vilkauos today spoke at a press conference outside the capital city of Lopinka.

Taking questions from the media, questioning the teams chances for qualifications into the finals in their first attempt, Vilkauos said:

"I feel we have a better chance at qualifying than most nations. No one will be taking us seriously, as they we have only recently been recognized by the world organizing committee. They do not know that we have some of the best facilities money can buy right here in Vilita. We have a huge array of talent in the side, most likely due to the government ban on Baseball, all these kids grew up with the ball at their feet. We've been training hard for the regional olympic games, and expect little competition on the way to the Gold. We are as prepared as we will ever be, and I feel you soon will see that Vilita is for real in World Cup XII."

When asked about the Draw for the qualifications:

"Like I say, it doesn't much matter who we draw, We are happy to avoid nations such as Brazillico and Rejistania on one hand, but on the other we relish the test that such high profile teams would bring. We will be looking at each team before each match with only one outlook, and that is to beat them. It's easy when you are the new guy, because you know the other side think you are a laugh, maybe doesn't field a full strength 11, and you get to run circles around them like it were an overload training session. I think we'll be just fine."

----------------

The Colony of Vilita Jungle Cats will be looking to qualify for the World Cup finals in their first attempt after only recently being recognized by the World Governing Body. The Jungle Cats are currently undefeated in the last 6 Atlantian Oceania Regional championships, and look poised to add to that total in the upcoming Atlantian Oceania Olympic games. Their squad will consist of mostly young stars from the National league, with a few experienced veterans, from the days before baseball was outlawed in the Nation, to guide them on their way to Glory.

------------------

Belmorians rejoice at draw.

In a pact room earlier this evening, in a draw which can only be describbed as shambolic, we were drawn with both Snub Nose 38 and The Lowland Clans.

St. Alan Belmore said after the draw "Ay up, this aint half bad is it. We could acctually qualify. I've given the boys a good talking to and have made many changes to the team to stop a repeat of 4 years ago. We expect to be real competitors for the title this year and hope to push it all the way."

The first match will be away to Lovebug, we must hope that our team do not get attracted by the sexy population.

OOC:

As a newbie, can i just be have it confiremd that 1v10 means the first team listed in each group will begin with a home game against the tenth team listed? ta

Hawcoat
OOC:

As a newbie, can i just be have it confiremd that 1v10 means the first team listed in each group will begin with a home game against the tenth team listed? ta

That is correct. Which means Hawcoat, as team two in Group 2, will open against team 9 in Group 2 (Indigo Islands) on home soil. It must also be stated that the tenth matchday is matchday 1 reversed.

Valerian Boyars Ready for Their Second World Cup

The words of the drawings have reached the ears of the Valerian emperor (who has yet to be coronated) Alexander II. The enthusiastic, young, fresh emperor smiled as he read the drawings. His father was team owner, and now he had taken his place.

"Well, I think the drawings are well for us. We might have to worry about Audioslavia and Iansisle, but we here in Valeria look forward to a great World Cup," Alexander said as he addressed the public earlier today. The Boyars are to start off the Cup with a match against Audioslavia. The team, with its capable players like Alexei Putin and Talos Kantakouzenos, have trained as much as they could within four years.

The Boyars, which finished its season with a mediocre display at WC 12, and which placed on the bottom of the Harmony Cup it had participated in, hope that this season will yield fruit for the team, and recognition of the power of Valerian football.

An Introduction to Melmond Football
Written by Henry Kalangalangalang of the Melmond City Herald for the NationStates Football World

“The United Postmodernist States of Melmond is a massive, socially progressive nation, renowned for its absence of drug laws.”- UN Spotlight on Melmond

The complete absence of drug laws isn’t the only thing that this country of almost 2.5 billion people is known for. In fact this isn’t the main reason why Melmond may have notoriety across the NationStates planet. Melmond is most known for its issue, “Transsexual Demands Recognition in Chosen Gender,” in which Melmond gained the attention of hundreds of thousands of nations about the social condition of gender. Although Melmondians have been satisfied with their cities competing against each other to see who is the best in the nation, Melmond has set its sights on a new title of renown: International Sports Superpower.

This is why the Melmond Football Federation has taken the pioneering step for this old nation by becoming the first national team to play in international competition; and what better way to announce its arrival on the world’s athletic stage than attempt to qualify in the world tournament of the most popular sport on the planet, football.

Surprisingly, within Melmond football is in the second-tier of sports in terms of popularity. Fencing and joust have always been traditionally popular since the days of the legendary Light Warriors, and the Melmond branch of the Batter Up Baseball League has been wildly successful. Melmond’s first ever professional football league was founded just one year ago. The Melmond Premier League debuted with 8 teams represent 8 of the largest cities in Melmond. The teams however do not have stadiums of their own, and must use the stadiums in the baseball off-season. Therefore the players of the Melmond Premier League have to deal with rather chilly conditions on frozen pitches, with the exceptions of the retractable-roofed Woocat Books Ballpark in O’Connor and the Walladome in Acosta. However this doesn’t bother the Melmondian players one bit, they are just glad they have a chance to play pro football at home.

Echoing that statement is the elder statesman of Melmond football, manager of the Melmond National Team, dubbed the Fearless Farmers in ode to the country’s agriculture heritage and can do spirit, Felix Coostatlwak. Coostatlwak has spent 50 years around the sport of professional football, 15 as a player and 35 as a manager in many different foreign club leagues such as Cockbill Street, Kingsford, The Eagle’s Nest, and a championship in Oglethorpia. Coostatlwak is more excited about his career at 70 years of age than any other time he can remember, “I am absolutely honored to be chosen to lead the Melmond National Team. When I first played, the only option after college you had to play football is to play in your backyard. I was lucky my family had money, otherwise I couldn’t have traveled out of the country and have had my talents discovered.” Coostatlwak adds, “Melmond footballers are just satisfied with playing in their home country and to see their countrymen and women cheer them on. Doing well in the World Cup Qualifying is very important to not only me and the team, but the whole state of football in Melmond. How well we do could be a barometer to how successful the Melmond Premier League will be. The results could range from all the football teams getting their own team and the league expanding or possibly the league folding. This is crucial!”

Coostatlwak has done intense scouting of the teams in World Cup XII preparing for their debut. One team Coostatlwak has watched very closely was the Eagle’s Nest national team, the place where he last coached the second place team in their premier league. He sees their situation paralleling theirs in many ways, “Talio Aefnen is a brilliant manager, and he took an inexperienced team from a fairly small country in relation to his competitors and made them very competitive. He makes good teams great. I have had a record of doing the same.” Coostatlwak states the differences and his high expectations, “I truly believe that we have a bigger talent pool than the Eagle’s Nest and we should do much better than the stellar performance they are putting up.”
Either way, as the Melmond Football Association advertises in their promos for the upcoming qualifying games…”It’s on.”

:shock: This could be tough

A message from the RejisFA reaches all participating nations

The continuity of time relies on the fact that there are no jumps and that everything that happened happened. Confusing? Look at a simple example: If you make something not happen, a double post for example, it will lead to phantom pages and will make it impossible to check your later postings. Never temper with time and don't delete your double posts! (also valid for higher posts)

Collective "Ah Shit" Rises Through Brazillico After Group Draw
Brazillico finds itself in group with four World Cup 12 participants

By Jake Tartare

Yet again, for the third time in succession, Brazillico finds themselves in the midst of a difficult qualifying group. This group may be the deepest Brazillico has faced to date and the chance of the Bats finally qualifying again is by no means a certain one. Let's take a look at some of the teams in the group.

Halfassedstates
World Rank: 8

Halfassedstates have to be regarded as the class of this group, being the only side in the top 10. A perennial qualifier for the World Cup, the Halfassians(sp?) should expect to reach the cup proper yet again.

Hawcoat
World Rank: N/A

Not much is known about Hawcoat, but reports tell us they could be a surprise sleeper pick in this group. No one really expects this team to do any better than sixth, but watch out for them to perhaps play the role of spoiler to some of the contending teams.

Nikea
World Rank: 31

After a disappointing World Cup 11 qualifying run, the Pandas stormed back with an impressive qualification run which carried them to World Cup 12. The Pandas are a lot like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, showing flashes of brilliance which could carry them over any team in the world and spurts of futility where they would be hard pressed to scramble for a point against Lanky Dude. Which Nikea shall show up in qualifying? We’ll have to wait and see.

Steve’s Island

Steve’s Island, a small island in the southern Fifa Sea was once a summer home for Brazillico’s ex-representative to the World Cup Committee, Steve Ribeiro. However, since being stripped of his position and exiled from the country for having accepted bribes from a foreign nation *Cough: The Belmore Family*, Ribeiro now makes Steve Island his full-time home. The only thing known about this side from Steve’s Island is that Steve has a truckload of cash and has been spending a lot of it to try to whip his team in to shape. Oh, and he hates Brazillico for kicking him out of the country.

Largent

Largent? Who’s Largent?

Pablicosta
World Rank: 131

Pablicosta seem to be the yoyos of international football; at times being the whipping boys of several group and at others, falling right off the international scene. Pablicosta has yet again risen from obscurity and will try to make a lasting impression on the footballing world, but with their track record, it’s not bloody likely.

Total n Utter Insanity
World Rank: 11

After being left for dead, the Insanians have made a meteoric rise through the standings to be on the cusp of the elite in the World. Total n Utter Insanity are the only team the Brazillicans have faced prior to the qualifying, with the Chili Bats emerging triumphant 1-0 in the quarter finals of World Cup 5. A lot has changed since then and led by uber-striker Belless, the Insanians will be looking to avenge their prior defeat at the hands of the Brazillicans.

Indigo Islands
World Rank: 90

The Indigo Islands shall be looking improve upon a rather shoddy entrance into the World Cup scene. Look for them to rack up a few wins against the unranked squads, because their chances of winning against one of the big boys are not good at all.

Aquilla
World Rank: 27

Ah yes, the nation with a Ph.D. in concision but a big fat F in perspicacity. Aquilla’s performances have really tailed off as of late, allowing them to be ranked under 25th in the world for the first time in 15 years. However, the Aquillans are perennial beasts in qualifying and often find them on the top line of group standings. The question is, shall the Aquillan papers read “Aquilla Defeats Brazillico 3-1”, with eight pages of pictures from the game and a funnies page on the back, or will Brazillico prevail instead? The results in the two Brazillico/Aquilla encounters could well determine who ends up sealing up that all important 3rd place in the group.

The key for Brazillico will be to not stumble out of the gates, with three of their first four opponents being Largent, Pablicosta and the Indigo Islands. To have any chance of qualifying Brazillico needs to have a strong showing in all of these games. Brazillico’s match at home to TnUI on Matchday 3 should be a good barometer as to where the team stands.

World Cup Street and Island - Qualifying

Group Draw
Group 8
Europa Brittania
The Redavic Union
Just an egg
Gormith
Eauz
Tadjikistan
Intelligent Madness
Liverpool England
Zephyrs
East Spaam

Ex-participants:
Europa Brittania [WC9, WC11 winner]
Eauz
Liverpool England [WC8 winner]
East Spaam

[OOC - how many qualify?]
It is always a tough group with Europa Brittania in it, but none so more than in qualifying, even though the almost-flops last time around barely scraped through.

Predictions: EB to win group, LE second

Vilkauos announces Vilita WCQ Squad

Colony of Vilita Coach Helmut Vilkauos today spoke at a makeshift press conference at the national training facility in Aliki-Corra

"I just wanted to take a second and introduce the 22 lads who are going to get the job done for us in the upcoming World Cup XIII Qualifiers. I don't think theres going to be much of a surprise to many Vilitans as to most of the roster, we are just thankful that Massimo has had a scan on his wrist turn back ok, and he looks to be fit for the qualifiers. Unfortunately I can't say the same for last AO Championships leading scorer, but he's back on the big island recovering with our top guys and should be ready for the Regional olympics next year. Anyway, enough talking, Giliamo should be handing out roster sheets to everyone now, save me from reading them off name by name,The Colony of Vilita World Cup XIII Qualifying Stage Squad of 22."

Roster (Depth Chart)
Goalkeepers:
Massimo Corsi
Rory Issah
Bryan 'Pop' Duiker

Defenders:
Danilo Liguori
Baron O' Toole
Giacomo Adika
Enzo Ahat
Matteo Ollirg
Elekim Cairns
Mark Price

Midfielders:
Santo Kecker
Jonathon Stott
Nigel Chapman
Alexander Östling
Christian Dogbé
Jonathon Baledrokadroka
Lee Bruce

Forwards:
Callum Banda
Germán Salomón
Lorenzo Mumamba
Julio Camacho
Jim Vella

----------------

The Colony of Vilita Jungle Cats will be looking to qualify for the World Cup finals in their first attempt after only recently being recognized by the World Governing Body. The Jungle Cats are currently undefeated in the last 6 Atlantian Oceania Regional championships, and look poised to add to that total in the upcoming Atlantian Oceania Olympic games. Their squad will consist of mostly young stars from the National league, with a few experienced veterans, from the days before baseball was outlawed in the Nation, to guide them on their way to Glory.

BSTV - World Cup Pre-Qualifying Report
with Amanda Butt and Chuck Mitchell

Amanda: Good evening, and welcome to the BSTV World Cup XIII Pre-Qualifying Report! I'm Amanda Butt, and here with me is former Bedistan Lions goalkeeper Chuck Mitchell. Welcome to the show, Chuck.

Chuck: 'Tis good to be in the international football business again. My, how things have changed in the last decade.

Amanda: Indeed. I'll bet when you were playing in World Cup 10, you'd never have thought that Rejistania would win a cup.

Chuck: Indeed not, but the Orange-Blues have come a long, long way. Almost have to feel sorry for those Audioslavians, though...almost. I can't do that after the Under-21 Cup.

Amanda: Heh. For our international viewers, the under-21 'slaves are the ones that knocked the Cubs out of the Under-21 World Cup in the second round with a 3-1 victory. But speaking of Audioslavia, let's take a look at this year's qualifying groups.

Chuck: What do this year's qualifying groups have to do with Audioslavia? Well, besides the 'slaves obviously being in one of them.

Amanda: You'll see in a bit. Let's start with Group One.

[code:1:7d334d355a]Group 1
Tanah Burung (12)
Svecia (38)
Skipdonia
Stalag 5 (58)
BSE Free Bovines (67)
Raptor Claw
Ravenspire (35)
Alpha Commune
Melmond
Kingsford (13)[/code:1:7d334d355a]

Chuck: Several big names in Group 1 -- Tanah Burung, Kingsford, Ravenspire, Svecia. Although those last two have fallen on hard times recently, especially Ravenspire. They had some weird stuff going on in WC12 qualifying.

Amanda: And there are also a couple of up-and-coming teams such as Stalag 5 and BSE Free Bovines. Ah, the Bovines...can you say the infamous Group 11 of WC12?

Chuck: Ah yes, it was quite a hoot.

[code:1:7d334d355a]Group 2
Halfassedstates (8)
Hawcoat
Nikea (31)
Steves Island
Brazillico (30)
Largent
Pablicosta (131)
Total n Utter Insanity (11)
Indigo Islands (90)
Aquilla (26)[/code:1:7d334d355a]

Amanda: Halfassedstates and TnUI would seem to be the two major players in Group 2, though I wouldn't count out Nikea and especially Brazillico.

Chuck: What about Aquilla?

Amanda: Aquilla. Due to the peace recently made between the Aquillan and Bedistani governments, I will politely refrain from saying what I think about Aquilla.

Chuck: Very well; we'll just move on to Group Three.

[code:1:7d334d355a]Group 3
Oddslavo (24)
Anahit
Murphdawggia
Wella (80)
Eaglet (59)
EL CID THE HERO (50)
Kerla (14)
Belmorian Scandinavia (34)
Hazatak
Zinkoland (97)[/code:1:7d334d355a]

Amanda: This group doesn't look as difficult as the first two. Kerla, Oddslavo, and the Scandinavian Belmores are reasonably well-known, but the rest are mostly off the map.

Chuck: Although we did recently play Hazatak...

Amanda: Well, the under-21s did. A 4-2 victory, by the way.

[code:1:7d334d355a]Group 4
Gleam Street
Gesamtkuntswerk (21)
Formula One Racing
Vozvyshennost (43)
Anti-Nazis (48)
Mordecei
Mattigool (57)
Fortuna Prospera
Commerce Heights (3)
The Eagles Nest (41)[/code:1:7d334d355a]

Chuck: Congratulations to Commerce Heights on qualifying for World Cup 13!

Amanda: Huh?

Chuck: They really don't have much competition here. Gesamtkuntswerk might give them a challenge, and TEN and Mattigool might have a chance against them, but they're definitely going through.

[code:1:7d334d355a]Group 5
Warnocks Wizards (7)
Lovebug
Vilita
Dance 2 Revolution (42)
Lovisa (85)
Compound Interest
Aserjin
The Lowland Clans (6)
Snub Nose 38 (33)
The Belmore Family (15)[/code:1:7d334d355a]

Amanda: Now this one has some good competition. Warnocks Wizards, the Lowland Clans, and the Belmore Family all in this group. I think the Hooligans might also have a chance to come back from last Cup's disaster.

Chuck: Actually, I don't think the Red and White Wizards are going to do all that well this time.

Amanda: You don't? Why not?

Chuck: Well, I know I'd be pretty demoralized if I had no country to return to after the Cup, and I figure they're the same way.

Amanda: No country? What the hell are you talking about, Chuck?

Chuck: Check the nation records for yourself. There is no longer a sovereign nation by the name of "Warnocks Wizards".

Amanda: That's preposterous. They hosted World Cup 11.

Chuck: That was six years ago.

Amanda: Good point.

[code:1:7d334d355a]Group 6
Jagiellonia
Timway (27)
One Red Dot (28)
Giant Zucchini (5)
The Weegies (53)
The Alan Belmore Army
Lennon Marx
Crystilakere
NASTIC 2 (40)
Sliponia (44)[/code:1:7d334d355a]

Chuck: And once again, congratulations to Giant Zucchini--

Amanda: Stop it. Now.

Chuck: Sorry.

Amanda: Group 6 looks like a fairly uneventful group, and Giant Zucchini, Timway, and One Red Dot should walk away with this one pretty easily.

[code:1:7d334d355a]Group 7
Antaeus Rising (36)
New Cyprus
The Republic Army
Jaegermeistria
Haraki
Lemmitania (16)
Squornshelous (9)
Grand Master Mark (71)
Jeruselem (70)
Creedence Clearwater (49)[/code:1:7d334d355a]

Chuck: Two big footballing powers in this group in Squornshelous and Lemmitania. The third qualifying slot will probably be a tossup between Antaeus Rising and Creedence Clearwater, as the Antaens seem to be on their way down.

[code:1:7d334d355a]Group 8
Europa Brittania (4)
The Redavic Union (67)
Just an egg
Gormith (74)
Eauz (29)
Tadjikistan
Intelligent Madness
Liverpool England (19)
Zephyrs
East Spaam (17)[/code:1:7d334d355a]

Amanda: Well, well, well...I have to wonder: if NEWI Cefn Druids can be beaten by just an egg, how will that egg fare in Group 8?

Chuck: Not too well, I'd say. One extremely powerful team and two other very strong ones will likely crush that egg along with the other newbie squads here. EB, LE, and ES have to be the favorites, but Eauz definitely has a shot as well.

[code:1:7d334d355a]Group 9
Aerigia
Oglethorpia (10)
West Gaddland
Spaam (18)
Runaway Moose (71)
Pablitopia
Kaze Progressa (24)
Praying2God (51)
Gaddland (63)
Alex The Tall (54)[/code:1:7d334d355a]

Amanda: The perennial powerhouse of Oglethorpia will certainly make its mark on Group 9--

Chuck: Hey, I just noticed something!

Amanda: *sigh* What?

Chuck: East Spaam is ranked higher than Spaam! Don't you think that's weird?

Amanda: Um...yeah.

Chuck: And they're right next to each other -- East Spaam is 17th and Spaam is 18th!

Amanda: Right. Also, note Runaway Moose's return to the footballing world after a complete absence in World Cup 12 qualifying.

Chuck: Wait a minute. Gaddland and West Gaddland are both in this group. Isn't that a little odd?

Amanda: Hey, it's random. It's bound to happen sometimes.

Chuck: All right, in all seriousness now...you've seen the first nine qualifying groups. But now comes the most important qualifying group of all -- the one in which our own beloved Lions can be found. Ladies and gentlemen, Group Ten.

[code:1:7d334d355a]Group 10
BEDISTAN (23)
Iansisle (39)
Dennisov (32)
Resistencia
Magnus Valerius (76)
Audioslavia (2)
Free Radicals of Mu-Mu
NEWI Cefn Druids (73)
Fahigland
Avenging Altos (55)[/code:1:7d334d355a]

Amanda: Of course, we know all about the Bedistan Lions. Came on the scene for World Cup 5 in Tanah Burung, and have qualified for every Cup since then save one. The Lions reached their greatest height when Bedistan co-hosted World Cup 8 with Oglethorpia. Our team became the first in NS World Cup history to reach the final match while hosting, but unfortunately the Lions were unable to snag the Cup, losing it to Liverpool England. After that, the team went into a decline, finally failing to qualify for World Cup 11. Last time around we did qualify, finishing second in our group only on goal difference to the nation that would go on to win the Cup -- Rejistania. The Lions left competition in the second round, but the team's ranking has improved slightly to 23rd in the world.

Chuck: Next on the list is Iansisle. The Lions have faced the Ians once before as a direct result of failure to qualify for World Cup 11. The two nations faced each other in the quarterfinals of the Harmony Cup, where Iansisle just scraped out a 1-0 victory on a Truman goal just before the final whistle.

Amanda: Dennisov won World Cup 4 several eons ago, coming from somewhere around 40th in the world to do so. They too have falled on hard times lately and barely hold a top 32 ranking right now. Bedistan has faced Dennisov three times previously. In the first round of World Cup 6, the Lions lost to Dennisov 1-0. World Cup 10 qualifying saw an away win for each side -- first Dennisov by a score of 1-0, then the Lions 3-1.

Chuck: Resistencia is a totally unknown team.

Amanda: Magnus Valerius is relatively new to the scene of international football, and we don't know all that much about them other than the fact that their World Cup 12 performance was sufficient to earn them a 76th-in-the-world ranking.

Chuck: Audioslavia. Don't even get me started about Audioslavia.

Amanda: Chuck, the viewers already know about the U21 match. Get to the point.

Chuck: Well, aside from that, we haven't played them. They definitely have one of the greatest sides in the world, though, and they failed to clinch the Cup last time only on penalty kicks. That's how good they are. We'll need to watch out for the 'slaves.

Amanda: Free Radicals of Mu-Mu is another unknown team.

Chuck: Now of course, we weren't the only team in our World Cup 11 qualifying group that didn't make the cut. NEWI Cefn Druids was there as well, a brand-new team at that time. We defeated them 3-0 away, though when they came to Bedistan, they held us to a 0-0 draw. The Druids have significantly improved since then, especially with their younger players, and though they may not qualify, expect them to do their damnedest to try.

Amanda: Hmm, this list has been set up so that I get all the unknown teams, such as Fahigland. I'll have to speak with our producer. Back to you, Chuck.

Chuck: Finally, we have Avenging Altos. We had a good run in World Cup 12 qualifying, as we said earlier, losing only twice. Frustratingly, both of those losses were to the same team. Even more frustratingly, both of those losses were to Avenging Altos, who at that time were ranked 90th in the world. Manager Johnny Lewis will certainly be looking for revenge for such wrongdoing in WC12, and it is rumored he may even be filing a complaint to the hosting committee regarding this "tomfoolery", as he put it.

Amanda: So there you have it. A look at all ten qualifying group, including a detailed look at our own group. It looks like it's going to be a great Cup! Hopefully we'll see you all there.

Chuck: I'm Chuck Mitchell...

Amanda: ...and I'm Amanda Butt. For BSTV, good night, everybody.

[OOC: Good gravy, that was long...]

Melmond Draws Group 1: Reaction
By Henry Kalangalangalang of the Melmond City Herald

In their first ever World Cup competition, Melmond draws a rather strong group with the likes of Tanah Burung, Kingsford, and many other emerging sides as well as great sides of the past on the decline. Tanah Burung and Kingsford are certainly the class of this group. However there appears to be a wide open race for that third spot. Manager Felix Coostatlwak sees his team well in the running for that spot, “Quite honestly, I see us in a race for third, however we are one of the strongest competitors in that race. Being in our first ever international competition has given us an exuberance we didn’t have in any club matches, this goes for me as well as the players.”
Let us take a quick look at our competitors in this group:

Tanah Burung is certainly one of the most active players in the International community politically as well as in the sphere of football. With a long tradition, the Crocodiles should certainly be a top team if they pass the tradition on to subsequent generations rather than merely extend it with faulty clones. (ranked 11 in world)

Svecia was the class of the region of Europe until they moved to the FIFA region. They qualified for the World Cup Final last year, however they finished last in their group. The manager expects continued improvement this year. (ranked 37 in world)

Skipdonia is a new nation and rather unknown in the NationStates world at large. They will certainly have no chance in this group unless they have absolute determination. (first entry)

Stalag 5 had a good start in the last World Cup’s qualifying only to run out of gas at the halfway point. So far there is no sign of them getting a refill on victory gas. (ranked 57 in world)

BSE Free Bovines is certainly the dark horse of the group as they would have certainly been a third place team in other groups in the last World Cup qualifying session. These Bovines have heart and now experience. (ranked 66 in world)

Raptor Claw are minnows to the extreme as the nation has just recently been founded. It will take effort, prayer, bribery, and perhaps foul play in order for them to make the World Cup Final. (first entry)

Ravenspire is a large storied nation. However, they have been on a slow and steady decline over the years. Their effort will tell whether or not they can return to prominence. (ranked 34 in world)

Alpha Commune is another new nation in NationStates. This avowedly communist country should struggle since communists don’t understand the idea of competition. It’s rumored that their goal is to end all games in egalitarian ties. (new entry)

Kingsford absolutely annihilated its qualifying competition in the last World Cup. However, they were a major disappointment in the final. Expect a strong performance from these guys. (ranked 12 in the world)

The Prediction
1. Kingsford
2. Tanah Burung
3. Melmond
4. Svecia
5. BSE Free Bovines
6. Ravenspire
7. Stalag 5
8. Skipdonia
9. Alpha Commune
10. Raptor Claw

The Melmond National Team Schedule

@ Svecia
v Skipdonia (Farmers Field, Melmond City)
@ Stalag 5
v BSE Free Bovines (Lifedonations Stadium, Morales)
@ Raptor Claw
v Ravenspire (Microcosm Stadium, Aldi)
@ Alpha Commune
@ Kingsford
v Tanah Burung (Walladome, Acosta)
v Svecia (Unne Sports Temple, Unne)
@ Skipdonia
v Stalag 5 (Xpress Counsel Field, Cali)
@ BSE Free Bovines
v Raptor Claw (Woocat Books Ballpark, O’Connor)
@ Ravenspire
v Alpha Commune (MPNK Stadium, Faasen)
v Kingsford (TBA)
@ Tanah Burung

Next Game (Actually First Game)
At Svecia

This away game in the cold atmosphere of Svecia should prove to be a good test for the talented yet untested Fearless Farmers. The weather shouldn’t faze them as most of the Melmondian football season is done during the winter. Svecia is coming off a World Cup appearance and should be a good gage in terms of where Melmond football is compared to the rest of the world. A win or draw here should give the Fearless Farmers confidence going into their first home game. Here are the starters for the first game.

GK- Cory Yankovic
D- Jonsi Torrini
D- Sergio Ortiz
D- Paul “Edgy” Shields
D- Nina Steen
M- Martin Goodwin
M- Critandi Unne
M- Camui Arai
M- Cristina Antunez
F- Chris Owen
F- Benjamin Leeb

For tickets to Svecia and the game, call Therewegoes Travel Agency at 3-18-357-9009. Be warned; don’t expect souvenirs in this communist country.

tag for future reference

tag for future reference

tag for future reference

3 tags?

OOC: sorry about this tag. I was posting on the wrong thread.

IC: Coach Quaday recently commented on theis being Largents first wrold cup and the high ranking of the nations they are with. 'My players could care less about rankings. They have been playing the game since they could walk. They are as qualified as any other team in this competition. I still believe we could win our group.'

reporter 1: bold words.
reporter 2: indeed but what he says is true. These players have played every day of their lives since they could walk. Largent's national sport is football. I think if they all keep their heads in the game they may win their group or at lest place in the top 3.
rreporter 1: What are other teams saying about Largent?
reporter 2: They don't see them as a threat but they definitley should. Largent has a rock solid defense and they have the team's strategy burned into their minds. The coaching is also great. All they need is a strond offense this tournement and they will place very high.
reporter 1: How solid is their defense?
reporter 2: as solid as it comes. Weber averaged 0gpg during the regular season and G. Johnston is a wall. On the offense T. Johnston is what drives the attack so if he plays well they will win games.
reporter 1: what does it take to beat these guys?
reproter 2: the oppostition will have to get inside their heads and brak their confidence. If they do that the team may crumble.

[code:1:a2e85430d7]Group 5
Warnocks Wizards (7)
Lovebug
Vilita
Dance 2 Revolution (42)
Lovisa (85)
Compound Interest
Aserjin
The Lowland Clans (6)
Snub Nose 38 (33)
The Belmore Family (15)[/code:1:a2e85430d7]

Amanda: Now this one has some good competition. Warnocks Wizards, the Lowland Clans, and the Belmore Family all in this group. I think the Hooligans might also have a chance to come back from last Cup's disaster.

Chuck: Actually, I don't think the Red and White Wizards are going to do all that well this time.

Amanda: You don't? Why not?

Chuck: Well, I know I'd be pretty demoralized if I had no country to return to after the Cup, and I figure they're the same way.

Amanda: No country? What the hell are you talking about, Chuck?

Chuck: Check the nation records for yourself. There is no longer a sovereign nation by the name of "Warnocks Wizards".

Amanda: That's preposterous. They hosted World Cup 11.

Chuck: That was six years ago.

Amanda: Good point.

Vilkauos relishes Vilita underdog role

Colony of Vilita Coach Helmut Vilkauos today spoke at a press conference outside the capital city of Lopinka.

Addressing the media following recently speculation on the "pre-determined" outcome of Vilita's World Cup XIII Qualifying Group 5, Vilkauos said:

"I think it is great that these guys can go out and analyze our qualifying group, and not so much as mention the presence of The Colony of Vilita, no less considering our chances of qualification. It will just make the media blitz that much bigger when we knock out ranked sides who field a second string 11 because they've never heard of us before. It's kind of sad in a way though, thinking this will be the last time anyone ever writes up an analysis of a World Cup qualifying group with The Colony of Vilita in it, without tipping us favorites to go through."

----------------