NATION

PASSWORD

Ceramic Bullets

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Conservative Alliances
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1323
Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Alliances » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:37 pm

They do use them for the reasons you mentioned. Marshals use them on aircraft while transporting fugitives.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am the Ghost of Sparta
Member of the Ebul NSG Right-Wing Establishment
Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
Spectrum
Foriegn Affairs
Cultural
Political Spectrum Quiz
Essentially a mix of the American Dream and 1950s culture with futuristic technology.
Rhodmhire wrote:I love you.
Liuzzo wrote:Conversely Conservative Alliances, Vetalia, and others make terrific arguments that people may not agree with but you can discuss.
Glorious Homeland wrote:Although some individuals provided counter-points which tended to put to bed a few of my previous statements (conservative alliances, zoingo)

User avatar
Lhazastan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 751
Founded: Sep 17, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lhazastan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:53 pm

why can't we just use normal guns on planes?

and before you say "explosive decompression," no.
The Lhazarene State (FT)
The Matriarchy of Lhazastan (MT)

Factbook

User avatar
Kalysk
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7049
Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalysk » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Lhazastan wrote:why can't we just use normal guns on planes?

and before you say "explosive decompression," no.

Because a bullet could punch through a person and end up hitting somebody behind them.
Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.54
Rhodmhire wrote:Kalysk you are a total fucking bro for professing your love (of Erasure)

ruuuruuu~

User avatar
Conservative Alliances
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1323
Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Alliances » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Lhazastan wrote:why can't we just use normal guns on planes?

and before you say "explosive decompression," no.

They tend to bounce around too much or depressurize the aircraft at high altitudes (only if it blows out a window, a couple bullet holes wouldn't matter). Apparently the ceramic won't ricochet too much or punch through the aircraft for some reason.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am the Ghost of Sparta
Member of the Ebul NSG Right-Wing Establishment
Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
Spectrum
Foriegn Affairs
Cultural
Political Spectrum Quiz
Essentially a mix of the American Dream and 1950s culture with futuristic technology.
Rhodmhire wrote:I love you.
Liuzzo wrote:Conversely Conservative Alliances, Vetalia, and others make terrific arguments that people may not agree with but you can discuss.
Glorious Homeland wrote:Although some individuals provided counter-points which tended to put to bed a few of my previous statements (conservative alliances, zoingo)

User avatar
Lhazastan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 751
Founded: Sep 17, 2009
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lhazastan » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:13 pm

Kalysk wrote:
Lhazastan wrote:why can't we just use normal guns on planes?

and before you say "explosive decompression," no.

Because a bullet could punch through a person and end up hitting somebody behind them.


this is an argument against conventional bullets altogether

CA's argument was more suitable and I would be willing to back that, but I'd like to see proof that they will actually bounce around a lot
The Lhazarene State (FT)
The Matriarchy of Lhazastan (MT)

Factbook

User avatar
Wamitoria
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18852
Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Would ceramic bullets be capable of penetrating body armor?
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

User avatar
Conservative Alliances
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1323
Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Alliances » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:21 pm

Wamitoria wrote:Would ceramic bullets be capable of penetrating body armor?

Depends on the ceramic, I suppose. With the right mixture and the right kiln, I would assume so. Maybe ceramics are not malleable enough to make armor piercing bullets, though. Also not that body armor made from ceramics can easily repel bullets.
Last edited by Conservative Alliances on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am the Ghost of Sparta
Member of the Ebul NSG Right-Wing Establishment
Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
Spectrum
Foriegn Affairs
Cultural
Political Spectrum Quiz
Essentially a mix of the American Dream and 1950s culture with futuristic technology.
Rhodmhire wrote:I love you.
Liuzzo wrote:Conversely Conservative Alliances, Vetalia, and others make terrific arguments that people may not agree with but you can discuss.
Glorious Homeland wrote:Although some individuals provided counter-points which tended to put to bed a few of my previous statements (conservative alliances, zoingo)

User avatar
Unidox
Minister
 
Posts: 2517
Founded: Jan 25, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Unidox » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Canadai wrote:So it's not a new idea? Dammit.

Yeah, it sounds like something they did on Mythbusters.
Caninope wrote:It's NSG. The 20th Circle of LIMBO!

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Always here to ruin the day. 8)

Living Freedom Land wrote:Oh, so now you want gay people to take part in the sacred institution of tax rebates too? You liberals sicken me.

Lacadaemon wrote:I mean, hell, in a properly regulated market, pension stripping schemes like Zynga wouldn't ever have a sniff of an IPO (see Groupon). But it's all wild westy now. Lie down with dogs and so forth.

User avatar
Techno-Soviet
Senator
 
Posts: 3785
Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Glaser Safety Slugs are better. A ceramic bullet would have like...no penetrating power.
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

User avatar
Wamitoria
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18852
Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:30 pm

Conservative Alliances wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Would ceramic bullets be capable of penetrating body armor?

Depends on the ceramic, I suppose. With the right mixture and the right kiln, I would assume so. Maybe ceramics are not malleable enough to make armor piercing bullets, though. Also not that body armor made from ceramics can easily repel bullets.

Well, if ceramic bullets are capable of penetrating body armor, then they are a great idea. No more toxic lead.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

User avatar
Dinaverg
Diplomat
 
Posts: 684
Founded: Nov 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dinaverg » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Conservative Alliances wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Would ceramic bullets be capable of penetrating body armor?

Depends on the ceramic, I suppose. With the right mixture and the right kiln, I would assume so. Maybe ceramics are not malleable enough to make armor piercing bullets, though. Also not that body armor made from ceramics can easily repel bullets.

Well, if ceramic bullets are capable of penetrating body armor, then they are a great idea. No more toxic lead.


*nod* I've always preferred depleted uranium anyhow.
DINA
DINA
DINA

User avatar
Mossat
Diplomat
 
Posts: 590
Founded: Feb 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mossat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Unidox wrote:
Canadai wrote:So it's not a new idea? Dammit.

Yeah, it sounds like something they did on Mythbusters.


Mythbusters did test this myth.
They performed two tests: a 9mm bullet through the fuselage, and a 9mm bullet through the window. Both tests proved that while decompression can result, it will not cause the airplane to explosively decompress, nor can you be sucked out the window of the plane.

They had set up their titular crash test dummy to see if the dummy even move, which it did not. At the end of the episode, in Mythbusters fashion, they attempt as best they can to simulate the desired results of the myth, should their tests prove the myth "Busted." They went as far as a shaped charge placed directly on the fuselage to get their explosive decompression. The funny part of this is that despite their crash test dummy sitting almost right next to the device, their dummy was never ejected from the plane.
Demonym: Mossacian (Pronounced with a "z")
Signatory of IPPETASP
Mossat Military Hardware Database(Under Construction)
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein
GENERATION 31: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

User avatar
Lunatic Goofballs
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 19996
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Instead of an ice bullet, what about a spice bullet?

That way you can kill someone and season him at the same time. :)
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Check out my newest memes! https://imgflip.com/user/Looonatic

User avatar
Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23565
Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Caninope » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Conservative Alliances wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Would ceramic bullets be capable of penetrating body armor?

Depends on the ceramic, I suppose. With the right mixture and the right kiln, I would assume so. Maybe ceramics are not malleable enough to make armor piercing bullets, though. Also not that body armor made from ceramics can easily repel bullets.

Well, if ceramic bullets are capable of penetrating body armor, then they are a great idea. No more toxic lead.

I think the use other metals sometimes...correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

User avatar
Mossat
Diplomat
 
Posts: 590
Founded: Feb 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mossat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Canadai wrote:You mean ice bullet.


Mythbusters tried that too.

Their tests discovered that a bullet made of ice is perfectly useless.
Demonym: Mossacian (Pronounced with a "z")
Signatory of IPPETASP
Mossat Military Hardware Database(Under Construction)
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein
GENERATION 31: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

User avatar
Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23565
Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Caninope » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Instead of an ice bullet, what about a spice bullet?

That way you can kill someone and season him at the same time. :)


Works great on babies. ;)
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

User avatar
Conservative Alliances
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1323
Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Alliances » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:38 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Instead of an ice bullet, what about a spice bullet?

That way you can kill someone and season him at the same time. :)

Delicious.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am the Ghost of Sparta
Member of the Ebul NSG Right-Wing Establishment
Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
Spectrum
Foriegn Affairs
Cultural
Political Spectrum Quiz
Essentially a mix of the American Dream and 1950s culture with futuristic technology.
Rhodmhire wrote:I love you.
Liuzzo wrote:Conversely Conservative Alliances, Vetalia, and others make terrific arguments that people may not agree with but you can discuss.
Glorious Homeland wrote:Although some individuals provided counter-points which tended to put to bed a few of my previous statements (conservative alliances, zoingo)

User avatar
Unidox
Minister
 
Posts: 2517
Founded: Jan 25, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Unidox » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:43 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Instead of an ice bullet, what about a spice bullet?

That way you can kill someone and season him at the same time. :)

That plus the (Mythbuster test and discredited) meat bullet would be one heck of a way to get Turducken.

... even more to an aside: Am I the only one who thinks 'meat bullet(s)' sounds like a great name for a metal band?
Caninope wrote:It's NSG. The 20th Circle of LIMBO!

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Always here to ruin the day. 8)

Living Freedom Land wrote:Oh, so now you want gay people to take part in the sacred institution of tax rebates too? You liberals sicken me.

Lacadaemon wrote:I mean, hell, in a properly regulated market, pension stripping schemes like Zynga wouldn't ever have a sniff of an IPO (see Groupon). But it's all wild westy now. Lie down with dogs and so forth.

User avatar
Ethalor
Envoy
 
Posts: 202
Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ethalor » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:44 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Instead of an ice bullet, what about a spice bullet?

That way you can kill someone and season him at the same time. :)

Now here is a man that thinks! :bow:
Emperor: Aegob Manara
Defcon: [5][4][3][2][1]
Wars Participated in:
Open Source War

User avatar
Sailsia
Senator
 
Posts: 4470
Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Corporate Bordello

Postby Sailsia » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:49 pm

never thought of ceramic bullets... but, I can see them being practical for airplanes.
RIP RON PAUL
Author of the U.S. Constitution
July 4, 1776 - September 11, 2001

User avatar
Techno-Soviet
Senator
 
Posts: 3785
Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:50 pm

Unidox wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Instead of an ice bullet, what about a spice bullet?

That way you can kill someone and season him at the same time. :)

That plus the (Mythbuster test and discredited) meat bullet would be one heck of a way to get Turducken.

... even more to an aside: Am I the only one who thinks 'meat bullet(s)' sounds like a great name for a metal band?


Sounds like a gay porn. |:
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

User avatar
Peddieville
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1104
Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Peddieville » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:50 pm

Lhazastan wrote:
Kalysk wrote:
Lhazastan wrote:why can't we just use normal guns on planes?

and before you say "explosive decompression," no.

Because a bullet could punch through a person and end up hitting somebody behind them.


this is an argument against conventional bullets altogether

In an airplane, you've got lots of people lined up, making collateral damage likely.
I have nothing to say

User avatar
Pendraig
Attaché
 
Posts: 86
Founded: Jul 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pendraig » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:51 pm

Canadai wrote:I've been thinking a bit, and wouldn't ceramic be a rather ideal material for bullets? It's hard, heavy, and burn-proof, I'm just not sure about it's terminal effect. Would it stay intact? Shatter like a hand grenade? Turn into a spiky ball of death inside your chest? And what if it missed, and hit metal? Would it leave it unaffected?

If those are right, this could make a highly lethal bullet that has littler affect on anything other then flesh(!). Perfect inside an airplane or submarine, maybe. I'm just brainstorming.

I don't have any firearms, but I assume that someone on NSG does. Would it be possible for he/she to make a ceramic bullet and run some tests on it? I'd be extremely happy. If this works, I'm selling my idea to the military, but I doubt this will work.

So what does NSG think of my ballistic brainstorm?

It has many great properties, like you mentioned, but unfortunately it's far to brittle. :(

User avatar
Sailsia
Senator
 
Posts: 4470
Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Corporate Bordello

Postby Sailsia » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:51 pm

Techno-Soviet wrote:
Unidox wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Instead of an ice bullet, what about a spice bullet?

That way you can kill someone and season him at the same time. :)

That plus the (Mythbuster test and discredited) meat bullet would be one heck of a way to get Turducken.

... even more to an aside: Am I the only one who thinks 'meat bullet(s)' sounds like a great name for a metal band?


Sounds like a gay porn. |:

a better one would be "Meat Slugs". :roll: (ew)
RIP RON PAUL
Author of the U.S. Constitution
July 4, 1776 - September 11, 2001

User avatar
Sailsia
Senator
 
Posts: 4470
Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Corporate Bordello

Postby Sailsia » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:52 pm

Peddieville wrote:
Lhazastan wrote:
Kalysk wrote:
Lhazastan wrote:why can't we just use normal guns on planes?

and before you say "explosive decompression," no.

Because a bullet could punch through a person and end up hitting somebody behind them.


this is an argument against conventional bullets altogether

In an airplane, you've got lots of people lined up, making collateral damage likely.

and wouldn't a bullet go right through the airplanes' metal?
RIP RON PAUL
Author of the U.S. Constitution
July 4, 1776 - September 11, 2001

Next

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ainin, Alyakia, Baltenstein, Elejamie, Ethel mermania, Evil Lord Sauron, Exabot [Bot], Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States, Majestic-12 [Bot], Nortrom, Risottia, Socialist Czechia, Sociobiology

Remove ads