NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted Competition entry] Heckler, Please Shut Up!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Submitted Competition entry] Heckler, Please Shut Up!

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Disclaimer: I have written a draft with the exact same title almost 2 years ago now, but times have changed and I do think the issue draft from that time is no good. Specifically, I don't think the options were realistic. I also think though that the issue discussed in that previous draft is one that has not been covered in the pool yet but yet continuously surfaces into politics (after all, just yesterday something like this happened to UK politician Jeremy Corbyn). Enjoy!

Just as you were giving a speech to a rally, a small group of protesters began calling for you to resign. They haven't really explained why they want this, but still seem adamant that you should go. Tensions are rising and you will have to decide.

validity: all

[option] Your fanactical supporter @@RANDOMNAME@@, wearing a balaclava with your smiling face on it is pulled off of one of the protestors. He is screaming," Get 'em outta here! You know, I just want to punch these people in the face and so does everyone else here! They're so disrespectful! We wanted to hear you speak, not them! Just tell us, your loyal supporters, to remove these people and believe me, they'd be leaving here in a stretcher!"
[effect] a political rally is considered boring if there is no pitched battle involved

[option] "You don't need us to do anything; you can shout THEM down!" encourages your sycophantic best friend @@RANDOMNAME@@, running onto the stage to give you a microphone."With this microphone, you have got the loudest voice in this room by far. Just tell these protesters why they are wrong and you'll see that they will surely shut up for you when they see the error in their ways. Freedom of speech allows them to say their minds, but you my friend ALSO have that same freedom of speech, yet WAY more credibility too!"
[effect] politicians and hecklers argue with each other for hours on end

[option] "Or you could actually listen to the @@DENONYM@@ people," challenges one of the protesters."We have concerns that are not being addressed and we are just giving them to you, the political establishment, right here and right now. I can't remember any you bad decisions you've taken right now but if you let us tell the good people of the world our opinions through your microphone, that would truly cement you as a wise and democratic leader!"
[effect] Jeff from the local pub got 30 minutes of TV airtime after seizing @@LEADER@@'s microphone

[option] "Shoo Shoo," you hear as your bodyguards clear the stage around you. Your very ordinary-looking head of security turns to you and laments," Sorry for this inconvenience. If only we had more security personnel and possibly a few snipers at this event then we could have guaranteed your safety better, boss. We could have vetted everyone coming in, quietly removed anybody getting out of line, and made this rally a safe, unremarkable and comforting occasion."
[effect] one has to go through extensive security to get within a mile of a politician
Last edited by Annihilators of Chan Island on Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:16 pm

Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:Disclaimer: I have written a draft with the exact same title almost 2 years ago now, but times have changed and I do think the issue draft from that time is no good. Specifically, I don't think the options were realistic. I also think though that the issue discussed in that previous draft is one that has not been covered in the pool yet but yet continuously surfaces into politics (after all, just yesterday something like this happened to UK politician Jeremy Corbyn). Enjoy!
I've always meant to do the same with my Clink Kills. Man, has my writing improved since then . . . Anyways, let's get on to the actual draft, shall we?

Just as you were giving a speech to a rally, a small group of protesters began shouting at the top of their lungs for you to resign. They haven't really explained why they want you gone, but they are very much disrupting the rally to the point where your inner circle- and everyone else- has jumped onto the stage to help you deal with this nuisance.
Pretty decent, though if you're going to submit this as a contest entry, I think it would help if you made it snappier. I'd like to see what it's like with a more narrative approach. Hmm, maybe drop the jumping on the stage and use that in one of the options. This would free up some space to add a bit more humor to describe the protestors and talk about how they aren't protesting anything specifically. Just throwing out ideas here.

Hmm, would nations that crack down on protestors like #022.1 tolerate these people enough for this to be an issue? I don't know.

[option] "Get 'em out of here," lectures your fanatical supporter @@RANDOMNAME@@ from behind a balaclava with your smiling face on it."You know, I just want to punch these people in the face and so does everyone else here! They're so disrespectful! We wanted to hear you speak, not them! Just tell us, your loyal supporters, to remove these people and believe me, they'd be leaving here in a stretcher!"
Lectures+fanatical seems like an odd combination here especially with all the exclamation marks. Again, I think it would make it stronger to make it a bit more narrative (something like "A fanactical supporter wearing a balaclava with your smiling face on it is pulled off of one of the protestors. He is screaming . . ."). You can take that time to just tighten up the dialogue a little bit to make it seem likeore of an angry supporter of yours. I don't think the appositive phrases really fit all that much.
[effect] a political rally is considered boring if there is no pitched battle involved
Good idea that could use a bit of tightening. Probably pluralize the beginning and suc: "political rallies are considered boring if no blood is shed" or similar.

[option] "You don't need us to do anything; you can shout THEM down!" encourages your sycophantic best friend @@RANDOMNAME@@."With that microphone, you have got the loudest voice in this room by far! Just tell these protesters why they are wrong and you'll see that they will surely shut up for you when they see the error in their ways! Freedom of speech allows them to say their minds, but you my friend ALSO have that same freedom of speech, yet WAY more credibility too!"
I think that there are one too many exclamation marks there. Give more description to this speaker like "...@@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ as he shoves a microphone to your mouth.
I have literally no opinion on this effect.
[option] "Or you could actually listen to the @@DENONYM@@ people," challenges one of the protesters."We have concerns that are not being addressed and we are just giving them to you, the political establishment, right here and right now. I know this was your event to begin with, but if you let us tell the good people of the world our opinions through your microphone, that would truly cement you as a wise and democratic leader!"
I think it'd be funnier if he says something like "I have concerns about your decisions! Sure, I can think of 'em at the moment, but they'll come to me in time! Or, I think they will . . ." That would further the narrative of how they aren't protesting anything in particular.
[effect] Jeff from the local pub got 30 minutes of TV airtime after seizing @@LEADER@@'s microphone
This effect line feels a lot clumsier. I think there's a better idea in the text somewhere but it isn't coming to me. Think it over for a bit.

[option] "Shoo Shoo," you hear as your bodyguards clear the stage around you. Your head of security turns to you and laments," Sorry for this inconvenience. If only we had more security personnel and possibly a few snipers at this event then we could have guaranteed your safety better, boss. We could have vetted everyone coming in, quietly removed anybody getting out of line, and made this rally a safe, unremarkable and comforting occasion."
Pretty decent too. I think the speaker could use a bit more description. Perhaps talk about how unremarkable he looks to mirror the last sentence.
[effect] dissidents tend to disappear at government rallies
I feel this effect line is lacking. It is so predictable and basically states exactly what you chose.
See You Space Cowboy...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:53 pm

There is an overlap with Issue 192
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Australian Republic wrote:There is an overlap with Issue 192
What? I don't see the similarity at all.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:21 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
What? I don't see the similarity at all.

Neither do I.
See You Space Cowboy...

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:11 pm

Drasnia wrote:
Annihilators of Chan Island wrote:Disclaimer: I have written a draft with the exact same title almost 2 years ago now, but times have changed and I do think the issue draft from that time is no good. Specifically, I don't think the options were realistic. I also think though that the issue discussed in that previous draft is one that has not been covered in the pool yet but yet continuously surfaces into politics (after all, just yesterday something like this happened to UK politician Jeremy Corbyn). Enjoy!
I've always meant to do the same with my Clink Kills. Man, has my writing improved since then . . . Anyways, let's get on to the actual draft, shall we?

Yeah, I see I gave in before you did. But yes, let us move to the present.

Drasnia wrote:
Just as you were giving a speech to a rally, a small group of protesters began shouting at the top of their lungs for you to resign. They haven't really explained why they want you gone, but they are very much disrupting the rally to the point where your inner circle- and everyone else- has jumped onto the stage to help you deal with this nuisance.
Pretty decent, though if you're going to submit this as a contest entry, I think it would help if you made it snappier. I'd like to see what it's like with a more narrative approach. Hmm, maybe drop the jumping on the stage and use that in one of the options. This would free up some space to add a bit more humor to describe the protestors and talk about how they aren't protesting anything specifically. Just throwing out ideas here.

Hmm, would nations that crack down on protestors like #022.1 tolerate these people enough for this to be an issue? I don't know.

[option] "Get 'em out of here," lectures your fanatical supporter @@RANDOMNAME@@ from behind a balaclava with your smiling face on it."You know, I just want to punch these people in the face and so does everyone else here! They're so disrespectful! We wanted to hear you speak, not them! Just tell us, your loyal supporters, to remove these people and believe me, they'd be leaving here in a stretcher!"
Lectures+fanatical seems like an odd combination here especially with all the exclamation marks. Again, I think it would make it stronger to make it a bit more narrative (something like "A fanactical supporter wearing a balaclava with your smiling face on it is pulled off of one of the protestors. He is screaming . . ."). You can take that time to just tighten up the dialogue a little bit to make it seem likeore of an angry supporter of yours. I don't think the appositive phrases really fit all that much.
Good idea that could use a bit of tightening. Probably pluralize the beginning and suc: "political rallies are considered boring if no blood is shed" or similar.

[option] "You don't need us to do anything; you can shout THEM down!" encourages your sycophantic best friend @@RANDOMNAME@@."With that microphone, you have got the loudest voice in this room by far! Just tell these protesters why they are wrong and you'll see that they will surely shut up for you when they see the error in their ways! Freedom of speech allows them to say their minds, but you my friend ALSO have that same freedom of speech, yet WAY more credibility too!"
I think that there are one too many exclamation marks there. Give more description to this speaker like "...@@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@ as he shoves a microphone to your mouth.
I have literally no opinion on this effect.
[option] "Or you could actually listen to the @@DENONYM@@ people," challenges one of the protesters."We have concerns that are not being addressed and we are just giving them to you, the political establishment, right here and right now. I know this was your event to begin with, but if you let us tell the good people of the world our opinions through your microphone, that would truly cement you as a wise and democratic leader!"
I think it'd be funnier if he says something like "I have concerns about your decisions! Sure, I can think of 'em at the moment, but they'll come to me in time! Or, I think they will . . ." That would further the narrative of how they aren't protesting anything in particular.
This effect line feels a lot clumsier. I think there's a better idea in the text somewhere but it isn't coming to me. Think it over for a bit.

[option] "Shoo Shoo," you hear as your bodyguards clear the stage around you. Your head of security turns to you and laments," Sorry for this inconvenience. If only we had more security personnel and possibly a few snipers at this event then we could have guaranteed your safety better, boss. We could have vetted everyone coming in, quietly removed anybody getting out of line, and made this rally a safe, unremarkable and comforting occasion."
Pretty decent too. I think the speaker could use a bit more description. Perhaps talk about how unremarkable he looks to mirror the last sentence.
[effect] dissidents tend to disappear at government rallies
I feel this effect line is lacking. It is so predictable and basically states exactly what you chose.

Very good points. I'll be implementing the vast majority of them. :)

I don't know what you're thinking, but I'm thinking much more along these lines http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38274395 than I am on these lines https://www.democracynow.org/images/blo ... tcoup2.jpg . :shock:

Anything else?
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:05 am

Final Bump

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:23 am

We already have an issue about protecting @@LEADER@@ with extra security (257-3) so at the very least we'll have to think about the validity there. More generally, I think the free speech issue is more interesting than the personal security aspect. No one really thinks @@LEADER@@ should be put in danger, but whether people have a right to shout them down is more controversial - for example, the hecklers for President Obama at Notre Dame.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:47 am

Brilliant idea, but you should specify how far you are from an election
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:37 pm

Golgothastan wrote:We already have an issue about protecting @@LEADER@@ with extra security (257-3) so at the very least we'll have to think about the validity there. More generally, I think the free speech issue is more interesting than the personal security aspect. No one really thinks @@LEADER@@ should be put in danger, but whether people have a right to shout them down is more controversial - for example, the hecklers for President Obama at Notre Dame.

It's a balancing act. If you don't allow any random crazies to shout at your leader, you certainly are more likely to keep them safe, but then you're restricting the freedom of speech. I'll think about this until I come up with a way to write this while noting the free speech angle.

In the meantime, anyone have any ideas how to bring this about?

Australian Republic wrote:Brilliant idea, but you should specify how far you are from an election

Even dictators get shouted at by hecklers on rare occasions. Leaders get shouted at the day before, after and equidistant from elections too, so I don't think I need to specify.

Anything else?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?