NATION

PASSWORD

Error Submitting Post

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
None
Attaché

Founded: Nov 13, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Error Submitting Post

Postby None » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:06 pm

I was attempting to post in the Vaurgens RPG thread when I got this:
http://imgur.com/01kQ1uK

I have tried refreshing and reloading the page multiple times, to no avail.
I used an emoji in the post, could that be the problem?
We are a secluded and technologically advanced nation that cares for its human citizens, but does not allow them into major positions of power over others. Our research has shown that allowing humans to rule over other humans can cause unacceptable results. Instead, a network of intelligent computer systems makes all major government decisions.
Vaurgens RPG — Etherian links: Cyber
Words learned by Electriss: Vaurgens RPG Factbook

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:26 pm

None wrote:I was attempting to post in the Vaurgens RPG thread when I got this:
http://imgur.com/01kQ1uK

I have tried refreshing and reloading the page multiple times, to no avail.
I used an emoji in the post, could that be the problem?

That might be the problem indeed.

Edit: Which emoji was it?
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Blaatschapen should resign

None
Attaché

Postby None » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:44 pm

http://emojipedia.org/fire/

My character in the roleplay set something on fire, so I was going to use this emoji in my post.
We are a secluded and technologically advanced nation that cares for its human citizens, but does not allow them into major positions of power over others. Our research has shown that allowing humans to rule over other humans can cause unacceptable results. Instead, a network of intelligent computer systems makes all major government decisions.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:51 pm

Different parts of the site use different levels of character recognition. Not everything is compliant with Unicode 6.0, as this demonstrates.

Fixing it would require a massive reconstruction of the site, along with (probably) a different version of SQL for our database.

... or you could skip using the emoji.

None
Attaché

Postby None » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:02 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:Different parts of the site use different levels of character recognition. Not everything is compliant with Unicode 6.0, as this demonstrates.

Fixing it would require a massive reconstruction of the site, along with (probably) a different version of SQL for our database.

The weird thing about this is that my signature has an emoji.
If you look at my sig, there's some lightning bolt emojis under the spoiler tag.
Last edited by None on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:10 pm

None wrote:
Frisbeeteria wrote:Different parts of the site use different levels of character recognition. Not everything is compliant with Unicode 6.0, as this demonstrates.

The weird thing about this is that my signature has an emoji.
If you look at my sig, there's some lightning bolt emojis under the spoiler tag.

The forum is a different part of the site.

Emojis that work here, might not work on the RMB and vice versa.

Caelapes
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelapes » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:20 pm

If the forum database can be changed to use the charset utf8mb4, emojis will be supported.

The Rose Commune of Caelapes
Ego vero custos fratris mei sum.
aka Misley

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:46 pm

Caelapes wrote:If the forum database can be changed to use the charset utf8mb4, emojis will be supported.

Unfortunately it can't be. They say the next version of this forum software will "possibly" have utf8mb4 support.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:10 am

[violet] wrote:
Caelapes wrote:If the forum database can be changed to use the charset utf8mb4, emojis will be supported.

Unfortunately it can't be. They say the next version of this forum software will "possibly" have utf8mb4 support.

Will we ever get the "next version," or are we going to be stuck with this one for a few more months?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:59 am

Tinhampton wrote:
[violet] wrote:Unfortunately it can't be. They say the next version of this forum software will "possibly" have utf8mb4 support.

Will we ever get the "next version," or are we going to be stuck with this one for a few more months?

It will get here when it gets here.

Rovikstead
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rovikstead » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:51 am

I have found that these errors are the result of either, the website automatically logging you off, the forum thread is nonexistent or locked, or because you're having internet problems at the moment. Typically, I copy my post and wait until a later time so that I can post. But this might not be relatively close to the reason why you're having problems posting
Author of Convention on International Oil Spills, A Convention on Freshwater Shortages
Co-Author of Reducing Food Waste
Former Minister of Culture in TEP
The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:** RED FLAG ** . ** RING CHURCH BELLS ** . ** BESTIALITY ALERT ** . ** CHRISTIANS TAKE COVER **

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:37 pm

Rovikstead wrote:I have found that these errors are the result of either, the website automatically logging you off, the forum thread is nonexistent or locked, or because you're having internet problems at the moment. Typically, I copy my post and wait until a later time so that I can post. But this might not be relatively close to the reason why you're having problems posting

I don't think any of that is correct. This error occurs when you try to post a specific bit of content that the server can't process; waiting and trying later won't help.

Rovikstead
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rovikstead » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:41 pm

I can at least say that I tried
Author of Convention on International Oil Spills, A Convention on Freshwater Shortages
Co-Author of Reducing Food Waste
Former Minister of Culture in TEP
The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:** RED FLAG ** . ** RING CHURCH BELLS ** . ** BESTIALITY ALERT ** . ** CHRISTIANS TAKE COVER **

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:33 pm

;)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical