NATION

PASSWORD

This game loves screwing with me

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Populi-Terrae
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

This game loves screwing with me

Postby Populi-Terrae » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:05 am

Am I the only one who notices that most of the choices for boosting the economy are morally reprehensible? My latest Issue was whether I should maintain or abolish the slave trade. I chose the latter, but one of the last Issues was whether I should allow officers with guns on airplanes. I chose for airport security to be overseen by private corporations.
We are a free and democratic nation. Right now, we're MT. But we're getting close to becoming PMT.

The animal on our flag is a lion, not a dog.

You may use NS stats. (except for the income tax and income equality)

Terraen Radio Broadcasting: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=407688&hilit=terraen (Sign ups-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=407818&sid=38747f80d1c4bbd3b93653970f69e0a7)

If you want to RP with me or judge my nation, just telegram me.
Terraen News Network:Police take custody of infant of teenage parents soon after birth|Scientists announce ethanol-free alcohol|President Hayo opens doors to Supreme Authority refugees|Historian criticized after 'Revolutionaries murdered children and mothers' comment

Randsbeik
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Randsbeik » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:08 am

I can see what you're getting at, I go with privatising pretty much everything, so now we have McLegislation™.
Federaal Republiek van Rändsbyk

Don't worry about NationStates stats. Except maybe the tax rate. MT AU Nation.

Hoppean Paleo(ish)libertarian. PolComp: (8.00, -6.31)
Pro: Libertarianism, Capitalism, NAP, Gun Rights, Voluntaryism, Rotary Aircraft
Anti: Communism, BLM, AntiFa, Affirmative Action, Multiculturalism, Direct Democracy, Statism

Kiwination
Attaché

Founded: Jul 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiwination » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:13 am

It's not impossible, that's for sure. You can keep your morals and have an economy too, it just takes time to do so. The economy can be boosted in a lot of ways, but those which immediately boost it usually are paired with short-sighted decisions that could conflict with a person's moral standing.
Anyways, is this really a F7 thread?
Kiwi News 24/7 Feed: Festival of Ice began in Takutai today, said to be "bigger and better" than ever before. || Lunar colony naming vote has ended with Lunaros winning.
A class N14 civilization || A 12 Civilization || Your local crazed pacifist || F7 dweller
Prime Minister Rangatira Anaru||Kiwination's Flag||A Brief (and incomplete) History of Kiwination||Kiwination Embassy Program
Political compass: (-4.5, -4.67) || INTP-A type B personality || 21 y/o guy living in San Francisco || Half Persian & Half Kiwi

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:25 am

Yup, economic freedom is directly tied to wealth inequality in the code.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Rejistania
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Rejistania » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:15 am

I would not be too sure about that...
Rejis sjiki, linux sjiki, alari sjiki, korona sjiki!
Forever united, forever free, forever in justice, forever prospering!

"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali election ended in no candidate over 2% hurdle - Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands

This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:17 am

The game tries to make every decision tough by having pros and cons. Boosting the economy generally means one of two things - raising taxes for subsidies or loosening regulations that many people see reprehensible (child labor, slavery, pollution, etc.). On the flip side, many decisions will boost some stats but will hurt the economy. The player thus has to make tough decisions based on what their priorities and beliefs are.
See You Space Cowboy...

Naasseners
Secretary

Founded: Jun 12, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Naasseners » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:48 am

Aclion wrote:Yup, economic freedom is directly tied to wealth inequality in the code.

Yes. Changes in Economic Freedom are reflected almost 1:1 in Wealth Gaps (and it's opposite, Income Equality).

But really, as others said, you can have great economy while keeping your morals. But combining that with high industry stats is considerably harder. With a possible exception of book publishing, information technology, and basket weaving. Those don't require quite as many underhanded measures as the other fields.
Last edited by Naasseners on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:51 pm

Issues are SUPPOSED to screw with you. If they don't, it's a pretty shitth issue
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Dmitry II
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dmitry II » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:07 pm

Every issue has typically two, three, four and sometimes five options.
Sometimes there are some morally acceptable options which can be beneficial to your nations, but this is REALLY rare. I'm pretty sure Max Barry and the people making the issues want to see us suffer.
If you are patient, you can always dismiss an issue and wait for that once-in-a-lifetime agreeable decision, or you can weigh the options and ask: is the economy more important than morals in this circumstance?
If you make the choice (or mistake) to sacrifice your economy or to go against your morals for what you consider "the greater good," just know that there will always be some way to rectify your error gradually with other issues.
Puppet of Zone 71

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:27 am

The issues game at its best is about making hard choices, rather than just being a user survey to describe your utopia. That's design-as-intended.

Of course, it can be much more than that too. It can be a fun exercise in narrative exploration for its own sake. It can be a minigame where you pick a stat and see if you can reach #1 in the world in it.

In actuality, one of the main principles is that there is no win condition or universally desirable outcome. A great economy is no more valid a goal than an imploded one.

As for economy vs morals, one of the things about satire of this sort is that its often going to draw attention to the costs of things we take as positive. Broadly, this is pretty realistic in a lot of ways. Corporation that don't have to answer for their externalities are more profitable corporations. "I keep what's mine" goes hand in hand with both "I will work harder to get more" and "Your suffering is not my problem."

It isn't entirely that simple though. If you try to run a compassionate country with a ruined economy, your tax rate will show you that the cost is that nobody gets to control their own money. OTOH, if you build a strong economy, you can then afford welfare, education and the rest. The question is, what are you going to sacrifice to get what's important to you?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Loonation
Secretary

Founded: Jul 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Loonation » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:20 pm

Kiwination wrote:It's not impossible, that's for sure. You can keep your morals and have an economy too, it just takes time to do so. The economy can be boosted in a lot of ways, but those which immediately boost it usually are paired with short-sighted decisions that could conflict with a person's moral standing.

yes, my economy is going upwards now (no free market, pro-environment, etc.)
there are just the right issues, but you can t choose which one will come next, so indeed it takes time (i'm still below 50)
Aclion wrote:Yup, economic freedom is directly tied to wealth inequality in the code.

but economy/econ.-output is not, i've seen states with high numbers in both rankings
Naasseners wrote:With a possible exception of book publishing, information technology, and basket weaving. Those don't require quite as many underhanded measures as the other fields.

and trout farming i think
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:A great economy is no more valid a goal than an imploded one.[...]Broadly, this is pretty realistic in a lot of ways.?

i think that summs it up pretty well, for me e.g. cheerfull citizens is a more prioritized ranking stat than economy, it's just not one of the 3 trend ranks. than again political freedom is important to me, someone else could maybe not have a moral problem with less of them.

realistic is the dilemma indeed, as i must say, the outcome of most issues is really realistic [although some are less understandable for me]
In Capitalist America, ...
    ... you hunt the bear
    ... banks rob you
    ... you watch Big Brother
    ... Nazis attack you
    ... you don't die from getting stoned

Dunraven
Secretary

Founded: Jun 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dunraven » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:29 am

The Loonation wrote:
Naasseners wrote:With a possible exception of book publishing, information technology, and basket weaving. Those don't require quite as many underhanded measures as the other fields.

and trout farming i think

Whaling and overfishing issues can be problematic, especially for greener nations.

The Loonation
Secretary

Founded: Jul 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Loonation » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:05 am

Dunraven wrote:Whaling and overfishing issues can be problematic, especially for greener nations.

it is anyway to me, due to veganism.
and btw i hit the 50 border with my economy
In Capitalist America, ...
    ... you hunt the bear
    ... banks rob you
    ... you watch Big Brother
    ... Nazis attack you
    ... you don't die from getting stoned

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?