NATION

PASSWORD

Storm of Steel (OOC/OPEN/Medieval Nation RP)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Zaurell
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 02, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Storm of Steel (OOC/OPEN/Medieval Nation RP)

Postby Zaurell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:38 pm

The continents of Liria in the north and Astalia in the south have always been filled with conflict, vocal and otherwise. The nations that call these lands home have grown used to, and, some even say, fond of the bloodshed. Culture has recently begun to flourish, leading to some amount of peace. Unfortunately, as everyone has learned, the spectre of war will always return.

From the reavers of the far, frozen north to the nomads of the southern deserts, one thing stays constant: They all feel the calm before the storm. The old and wise Keisari of the Varaknasi Empire was poisoned by his enemies only moons ago, leaving a mere child to take his place. Without a strong leader to hold the restless warbands together, old evils are seeping through the icy cracks of the Varaknai lands. An ancient and radical religion, kept suppressed for an age, is reemerging, threatening to spread its skeletal talons across the Empire of Varaknas and possibly the entire continent. On the southern tip of Liria, the Grand Duchy of Kastilia has historically maintained a state of armed neutrality. But the new Grand Duke is a shrewd, ambitious man, investing his nation's great wealth into a radical modernisation program for the already capable Kastilian military. He - and his armies, if necessary - will stop at nothing to expand Kastilian influence across the globe. To the north of Kastilia lies the Lirian Order, holy knights from around the world sent to convert the pagans. Their mountain fortresses guard them from the pagan hordes. Their forces stand ready to bring Freoism to the pagans, whether they like it or not. While they are supported by the faithful in many nations, their lands are not the richest, leading them to deal with the heretics to the south, since their own ports are not up to the task alone.
The Kingdom of Arethall, on the southern continent of Astalia, is the richest nation in the land… and is also richly desired by its neighbours. The people try to keep to themselves as often as possible, although increasing turmoil in the north has them on edge. Arethall stands ready to defend its wealth with blood and steel. Northeast of Arethall lies the ancient and proud Kingdom of the Anglo-Saxons, otherwise known as Anglaseaxna. Cwenthryth III, the pious and erudite Queen of Anglaseaxna, leads her deeply religious population of traders, sailors, farmers and soldiers into this new age. This rich and powerful kingdom has become quite isolationist under the rule of Queen Cwenthryth III, however the emergence of the pirates of the north has led to the Queen shifting away from this defensive policy, and there are rumours circulating that she now harbours imperial ambitions. Nevertheless, while the Kingdom is more than capable of defending itself, new alliances are being sought to truly combat this northern threat.

In this RP, you will take control of a nation, great or small, and lead them to glory - or merely survival - through this troubled time. You will need to create alliances with the other nations of the land, because those who stand alone will stand for the shortest amount of time. Of course, you could always hide away and pray that the storm won’t decide to pay your home a visit…

• Yes, this is fiction with no connection to the real world in terms of plot. No, there is no magic.
  • Black powder guns are allowed for high tech level nations or in extremely limited numbers for medium tech level nations, but they are early firearms (matchlocks) and so have poor reload times, range, accuracy and reliability.
  • There must be at least a 20:1 melee to gun ratio. (20 infantrymen for every gunman)
  • The army size of your country/duchy/house/whatever must be realistic and proportionate – that means no armies of 400,000 for someone controlling a single mountain. Or at all.
  • There must be at least a 2:1 infantry to cavalry ratio. (2 infantrymen for every cavalryman)
  • Battles will almost always be costly for all sides, even the victor, due to the nature of medieval combat. Exceptions to this are where the terrain favours one side, when one side has the element of surprise, or other factors.
  • Cannons are forbidden on ships; naval battles are ramming, boarding and archers only.
  • Minor technological advancement is allowed, but only minor.
  • Ships must have a crew of at least 150 each, which counts towards your total army strength
  • Don't copy other nations. Uniqueness is good.

These are the types of soldiers allowed:
  • Elite infantry
  • Heavy infantry
  • Main infantry
  • Pikemen
  • Heavy cavalry
  • Light cavalry
  • Gunners
  • Archers
  • Siege weapons
  • Carracks
  • Caravels
  • Galleys
  • Longships

Note that you don't need all of these in your army
You can also add some of your own, unique units, as long as they're balanced and make sense for your nation and its setting

Some fantasy things that are allowed:

• Direwolves (Big fluffy doggos)
  • Drakes (Smaller flightless dragons)
  • Krakens (Big squid)
  • Mammoths (You know this one, right?)
  • Smilodons (Sabre-toothed cats to you)

Code: Select all
[b]Nation Name:[/b]
[b]Type of Government:[/b]
[b]Name of Leader(s):[/b]
[b]Description of Nation's Strengths and Weaknesses:[/b]
[b]Place on Map [/b](Please edit your borders onto this map [url]http://i.imgur.com/frCrtsm.jpg?1[/url] and upload to Imgur [i]without resizing[/i])[b]:[/b]
[b]Tech Level [/b](Low - c.13th century or earlier, Medium - c.14th century, or High - c. 15th century)[b]:[/b]
[b]Religion [/b](Make your own or choose Freoism)[b]:[/b]
[b]Brief Description of Culture:[/b]
[b]RP Sample [/b](If new to RP, a general sample of your writing will suffice)[b]:[/b]

IC: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=396863
Last edited by Zaurell on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Mostly retired from NS. Telegram me if you like but response time may be extremely slow

Magni Kastilia
Attaché

Founded: Dec 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Magni Kastilia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:59 pm

Nation Name: The Grand Duchy of Kastilia (Gran Dukista di Kastilia).
Type of Government: Absolute Monarchy.
Name of Leader(s): Gran Duka Nikolo Pietro di Ludovika.
Description of Nation's Strengths and Weaknesses: Extremely rich and technologically advanced, but small.
Place on Map (Please edit your borders onto this map and upload to Imgur without resizing): Already done and included on the OP map. The perks of being in the inner circle.
Tech Level (Low - c.13th century or earlier, Medium - c.14th century, or High - c. 15th century): High.
Religion (Make your own or choose Freoism): No state religion, around 40% of the population is religious, although a fairly liberal interpretation of Freoism is the most common among the religions present.
Description of Culture: Yeah it's basically renaissance Italy for the most part tbh. With less religion and even more science.
RP Sample (If new to RP, a general sample of your writing will suffice): http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... 1&t=391543
Last edited by Magni Kastilia on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Late Medieval/Renaissance Era puppet of New Aerios

Ignore the 'Magni' in the name, the country is just called 'Kastilia' but that was taken.

Elderowa
Senator

Founded: Nov 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:04 pm

Tag, very interested. Do I have to be a nation of Humans though?

Magni Kastilia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Magni Kastilia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:14 pm

Elderowa wrote:Tag, very interested. Do I have to be a nation of Humans though?

Well you could be a nation of cute fluffy doggos but I doubt they can use a sword very effectively.

Ignore the 'Magni' in the name, the country is just called 'Kastilia' but that was taken.

Varaknas
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Varaknas » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:14 pm

Nation Name: The Empire of Varaknas

Type of Government: Absolute Monarchy

Name of Leader(s):
-Regent: (De Facto) Erika Virtanen
-Emperor: Ivan Virtanen

Description of Nation's Strengths and Weaknesses: Large and populous, but also very cold and fairly technologically backwards.

Place on Map: I've done that bit.

Tech Level (Low - c.13th century or earlier, Medium - c.14th century, or High - c. 15th century): Low.

Religion: Neljä Worship. Freoism is frowned upon quite heavily.

Description of Culture: The Varanasi people are a hearty bunch, with a love of sailing, riding, and reaving. Quite a lot of their culture revolves around strength and stoicism, but a fierce loyalty and love of family and friends is also maintained.

RP Sample (If new to RP, a general sample of your writing will suffice):

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=391543&sid=57cdf3a1271a7b8dc837c010d218ac1e#p30090264
(I'm the Fascistisk State)
Medieval Puppet of Fascistisk State
Large stretches of harsh land filled with vikings, mongols, and fanatics. They're actually quite friendly, when you get to know them.

Arethall
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Arethall » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:14 pm

Nation Name: The Kingdom of Arethall
Type of Government: Monarchy
Name of Leader(s): King Harald
Description of Nation's Strengths and Weaknesses: Richest country in the world, but small and has a low population pool
Place on Map: lol fuck off I am in the inner circle
Tech Level: Medium to High
Religion: Church of Elara (she's like our version of Aphrodite/Venus, basically)
Description of Culture: Because of the religion, everyone is best mates or lovers with each other. That doesn't apply to outsiders though. They don't like outsiders all too much.
RP Sample (If new to RP, a general sample of your writing will suffice): http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... 5&t=373585 (I'm EA bud)

Yes
Puppet of Epsilon Aquarii, for use in an RP

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:16 pm

Reserve the holy order

Arethall
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Arethall » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:17 pm

Western Pacific Territories wrote:Reserve the holy order

It's been taken by the inner circle, my friend

Magni Kastilia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Magni Kastilia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:17 pm

You can't, the nations included on the OP map at this point already belong to players. The guy with the holy order just hasn't posted his app yet.

Zaurell
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zaurell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:18 pm

Those countries are actually players who helped me make the OP. You can make another Holy Order though.
Mostly retired from NS. Telegram me if you like but response time may be extremely slow

Elderowa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:29 pm

Magni Kastilia wrote:

Well you could be a nation of cute fluffy doggos but I doubt they can use a sword very effectively.

... You just tempted me into being a nation of dogs. I might honestly do that now.

Magni Kastilia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Magni Kastilia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:34 pm

Elderowa wrote:
Magni Kastilia wrote:

... You just tempted me into being a nation of dogs. I might honestly do that now.

Sorry mate, I was being a sarcastic bastard as usual. It's humans only.

Zaurell
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zaurell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:34 pm

Elderowa wrote:
Magni Kastilia wrote:

Please don't. I'd rather not have this devolve into a furry RP.

Elderowa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:36 pm

Magni Kastilia wrote:
Elderowa wrote:

Awww, dang it. Oh well. I'll see if I can think of something then.

Zaurell wrote:Please don't. I'd rather not have this devolve into a furry RP.

I was going to do Actual Dogs/Direwolves, not Anthro-Dogs. It certainly wasn't going to be furries. :roll:

Zaurell
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zaurell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Elderowa wrote:
Magni Kastilia wrote:

Zaurell wrote:Please don't. I'd rather not have this devolve into a furry RP.

I was going to do Actual Dogs/Direwolves, not Anthro-Dogs. It certainly wasn't going to be furries. :roll:

I'm not really sure how a pack of wild dogs would fit into the RP.

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Darned inner-circles! Another order for me I guess.

Elderowa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:40 pm

Zaurell wrote:
Elderowa wrote:

I'm not really sure how a pack of wild dogs would fit into the RP.

Well, they wouldn't just be random wild dogs. They'd still be able to talk. Think of it as if they were Animals from Narnia or The Golden Compass.

But, we're only allowed to do Humans, so no Talking Dog Nation.

Zaurell
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zaurell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:42 pm

Elderowa wrote:
Zaurell wrote:I'm not really sure how a pack of wild dogs would fit into the RP.

Well, they wouldn't just be random wild dogs. They'd still be able to talk. Think of it as if they were Animals from Narnia or The Golden Compass.

But, we're only allowed to do Humans, so no Talking Dog Nation.

You could have a nation that worships dogs.

Elderowa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:45 pm

Zaurell wrote:You could have a nation that worships dogs.

I'm actually thinking of doing a nation of Voodoo Tribesmen that dress up as Birds with Wind "Magics" (IE, Machines that blow strong winds and can propel people who have custom Gliders).

Arethall
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Arethall » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:47 pm

Elderowa wrote:

I'm actually thinking of doing a nation of Voodoo Tribesmen that dress up as Birds with Wind "Magics" (IE, Machines that blow strong winds and can propel people who have custom Gliders).

Sorry mate, but this does have to be fairly realistic.

Elderowa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Elderowa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:48 pm

Arethall wrote:
Elderowa wrote:

Sorry mate, but this does have to be fairly realistic.

Yeah, that might be too extreme. :blush:

I'll just have them have Gliders. None of this Wind Machine nonsense.

Zaurell
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zaurell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:48 pm

Elderowa wrote:

Those machines and gliders might be too advanced. Keep in mind that the highest tech nations have only recently discovered gunpowder. Remember this is a medieval RP, not a fantasy RP.

Varaknas
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Varaknas » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:49 pm

The Voodoo tribesmen and dressing up as birds is certainly intriguing - but we are basing this stuff off of technology that actually existed, more or less. You could still do the tribesmen thing, though. Perhaps they worship birds, and put speed and mobility above all else on the battlefield?
Medieval Puppet of Fascistisk State
Large stretches of harsh land filled with vikings, mongols, and fanatics. They're actually quite friendly, when you get to know them.

Magni Kastilia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Magni Kastilia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:50 pm

Elderowa wrote:

That's absolutely fine as long as they meet a similar fate to other medieval-era attempts to fly.

To clarify, I am of course talking about plummeting to their deaths.
Last edited by Magni Kastilia on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Lirian Order
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Lirian Order » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:53 pm

Nation Name: The Lirian Order
Type of Government: Theocracatic
Name of Leader(s): Grand Master Carl Von Trier
Description of Nation's Strengths and Weaknesses:
Strengths:
-Strong Mountain Fortresses
-Due to incoming knights and iron mines, have a great cavalry to infantry ratio and are some the most armoured forces.
-Has reinforcements from the faithful.
Weaknesses:
-Less powerful economy due to the type of land, taxes going to massive cathedrals, and war.
-Relays on the faithful bored nobles of other lands for manpower.
Place on Map (Please edit your borders onto this map http://i.imgur.com/frCrtsm.jpg?1 and upload to Imgur without resizing): ALready on there, nice being the inner circle.
Tech Level (Low - c.13th century or earlier, Medium - c.14th century, or High - c. 15th century): Medium
Religion (Make your own or choose Freoism): Freoism.
Brief Description of Culture: The Lirian Order is a hodgepodge of various cultures since it is a crusading nation. Knights from all nations come to help the faith. Then there are the native people that called the Order for help in the first place. One thing that they all have in common is their zeal. Basically Teutonic Order.
RP Sample (If new to RP, a general sample of your writing will suffice): http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=373585 I’m Prussia.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse