NATION

PASSWORD

The Darkness Before the Dawn (FT) (Signup required)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Kendari
Attaché

Founded: Dec 01, 2003
Ex-Nation

The Darkness Before the Dawn (FT) (Signup required)

Postby Kendari » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:30 pm

((OOC: If you want to join in, sign up on the OOC thread first. Also, you might mention if any of your characters are... relatively unexpendable, so nobody tries to put them in too tight of a corner. In my case, that's just Xhertahk himself. His lieutenants can be rebuilt using their last memory dump, if necessary, although that would take a while.

Anyway, there's a dawn of steel and fire coming. Let the darkness begin!))

A ship drifted through space under minimal power. Within its armor-plated 100 meter frame there was silence, unbroken even by the sound of life support systems, and gloom, illuminated only by traces of ultraviolet at the controls and two pairs of dimly glowing red points. Then the owner of the larger, more triangular pair spoke. Xhertahk’s voice has a strange, whirring quality that, in human listeners, always suggests images of countless gears spinning in unimaginably complex patterns.

“Any unexpected developments while I’ve been away?”

The second pair of crimson visual receptors was set in the helmet-shaped head of a drone controlled by Dark of Night, Xhertahk’s most advanced creation and foremost lieutenant. Although not exactly a conventional AI, this entity was much closer than his master, and better suited to quickly processing several decades of recordings from the sensor arrays that Xhertahk had concealed on Chanveer’s three small moons some two centuries ago.

“Nothing major. I’ve compiled the highlights for you. Transmitting to the Harvester now.”

Xhertahk interfaced with his ship’s computer directly to observe these excerpts, then gave a faint hiss of satisfaction.

“Good. No need to adjust my plans. I’m taking Harvester in. Find someplace to park yourself where you won’t be obvious – and deploy sensor drones, so that if anyone else turns up, you’ll know about it.”

With Dark of Night’s drone in standby mode, Xhertahk activated Harvester’s maneuvering drives and gradually twisted the ship toward Chanveer. As the navigational computer finalized the range, Xhertahk configured a shield for stealth and powered up the space-splitter drive. Its spatial distortion brought the Harvester to around 500,000 km from Chanveer, and a second, more precise, jump took the ship to the edge of the planet’s atmosphere. Protected from visual observation, Xhertahk brought his vessel drifting quietly down to land in a remote, uninhabited stretch of mountains.

By this time, Dark of Night had finished scattering his drones, hidden the battleship that was his body, and returned much of his focus to the hyperlinked drone about the Harvester. He followed his master as Xhertahk stalked through the cargo hold, ignoring the three powered-down drones belonging to the rest of Xhertahk’s tiny fleet and various crated battle robots and activating the half dozen construction models. Xhertahk unstrapped a hover cart from near the ship’s ramp, led his minions outside, and started giving orders.

“Constructors, assemble and initialize a heavy support crawler, schematic S0107. Once it is active, begun work on the schematic designated TEMP0104 ‘Initial Base of Operations’. You will answer to Dark of Night while I am away. Dark, keep them working smoothly. If any natives discover the site, kill them. Any sign of outside technology, call me at once. I’m going to do some scouting. I want to see these people directly.”

~~~(Several years later)~~~

The town of Shantus was far enough from any border that it rarely saw military recruiting parties, much less combat. Although a few large predators stalked the deep woods, none of them were ever seen near the town. Nobody thought that there was any danger near the fringes of the settlement, or worried about youngsters going about on their own nearby. Certainly Lusebal Carpenter never thought she might get into trouble while gathering fruit just outside the town, and she didn’t have time to realize she was wrong when the stun bolt struck her from behind.

While Xhertahk held Lusebal, unconscious, in the small medical facility he’d set up in the Harvester’s passenger compartment, her family and friends searched in vain for any sign to explain her disappearance. They had all but given up when she stumbled out of the forest five days later – bruised, scratched, and hungry, with no memory of her recent experiences. But she recovered without any sign of lasting harm, and over the years, most of her neighbors forgot the incident completely. Lusebal grew up to be one of the loveliest women in town. She had a long, healthy, and largely happy life, outliving two husbands along the way. Her daughters were all at least as pretty as she was, and if anyone ever thought it odd that none of them had sons… well, it never crossed their minds that it might be anything more than just odd.

And Xhertahk watched Lusebal’s children, and other families in other towns across Chanveer, and marked phase 1 of his field test as a complete success.

~~~(Over a century later)~~~

All around Thavach, the ghouls stood waiting. It was unheard of – ghouls never waited when there was prey to be had! Every waking moment, they were either hunting or working on their latest catch. And yet for almost an hour now, ghouls had been gathering to stand motionless at the edges of the village. There were far too many for one village to fight off, and most of Thavach’s people had crowded into the village square, clutching weapons and wondering what to make of this unprecedented situation. Then the monsters cleared an opening on one side, and a strange figure covered in dark purple metal stalked into the village. It had a large, blocky head with triangular red eyes near the top and a protruding jaw lined with gleaming, steel teeth. It had long, spindly limbs with spiked elbows, taloned fingers, and feet composed of three knife-like blades. And when it spoke, all the villagers thought of intricate patterns of spinning gears.

“People of Thavach, I am Xhertahk. And by my will alone, the ghouls spare your lives! Obey me, and I shall protect you from them – and any other outside danger. I will lead you to power and a life your ancestors could barely dream of! But if you defy me, the ghouls shall have every last one of you this very day.”

Gray-haired Danal Cooper was the first to reply. Like many of the villagers, he had lost friends and family to the marauding ghouls, and he scowled and hefted his rifle as he shouted.

“And how is it that you can control the ghouls, then? They don’ talk, and none can get ‘em to listen, so why do they listen t’you?”

Xhertahk’s reply was cold, calm, and matter of fact.

“They obey my will because I made it their nature to do so when I created them.”

The old man’s snarled curse was drowned out by the crack of his gun as he fired, and several other villagers started to raise their weapons. But the bullet bounced off Xhertahk’s blocky head in a flash of colored light, without making even the slightest dent in its metal surface. His right hand shimmered, and in the blink of an eye his arm had become some strange gun. A dazzling, white flash lit up the town square, and Danal Cooper fell with half his chest reduced to an empty, steaming ribcage. As the villagers looked on in shock, Xhertahk spoke again – his voice now as deep as distant thunder, but still perfectly calm.

“You possess no weapon that can harm me, but I will not tolerate such defiance. Will any other among you stand against your master?”

For a moment, they remained too stunned to react. Then, one by one, the residents of Thavach knelt. Xhertahk gave a faint, satisfied hiss.

“Good. If any among you are sick or injured, come forth. I shall see to your treatment.”

They had all seen the stick. Now it was time for a carrot.

~~~(Three days later)~~~

In the face of the ghouls, even the bitterest of enmities could crumble. Along many of Chanveer’s disputed borders, the battling armies had joined together against the common enemy that rose from the grave. With plenty of weaponry, strong defensive positions, and the training to work together effectively, they could handle all but the largest groups of ghouls. But they had no chance at all when Dark of Night arrived with three of Xhertahk’s heavy support crawlers.

The massive vehicles were recognizable as tanks, but bigger and far more advanced than anyone on Chanveer had ever seen. The central turret, holding a 6 meter gun, clearly had no room for a crew. The sharply sloped hull, some 10 meters long and 5 across, bore no sign of view ports or exhaust pipes. Many of the details were obscured behind narrow bulldozer blades on the front, but smaller turrets could be seen on each corner. As the three crawlers ground forward with no detectable engine noise, Dark of Night’s two-meter tall armored drone was hardly noticeable. They fired mercilessly on any movement, blasting right through trenches and bunkers with tremendous explosions, and shrugged off all return fire like rain.

Despite their discipline and determination, the soldiers could not hold against this assault. It was mere minutes before they broke and fled; with the crawlers pursuing and firing upon the largest groups, they had no choice but to scatter. Those that made it away from the battlefield were easy prey for the ghouls.

~~~(Two days later)~~~

Atop the walls of Burast, guards waited with great spotlights and heavy machineguns. Around those walls were scattered the smoldering remains of bonfires and the scorched bones of the ghouls that fell in the last assault. After their latest failure, the ghouls had retreated out of sight of Burastian patrols, but the guards remained vigilant. They were protecting what might be their civilization’s only chance of survival. No ghoul could have snuck past their watchful eyes and sweeping lights. Xhertahk and his gunbots, concealed by cloak-configured shields, were a different matter.

Within those walls, in a chamber at the heart of Burast, Lord Saevin Burath was overseeing the final tests of an experimental transmitter. He looked over the readings as his assistants activated each of its components in turn, then nodded.

“Everything seems to be functioning as predicted. If this thing will work at all, it’s ready to use. Set it to omnidirectional and start the transmission.”

Burath strode into the middle of the room, and the device flung his words and image out to the stars.

="I… I hope this works. We never had a chance to test it before the war knocked us out of space. Never intended to use it at all until we were ready to reach for the stars. But I don’t know what else to try. We need help, urgently. I don’t think anyone on the planet can fix the mess we’re in now. The war was more than bad enough… centuries of progress, gone in days, and we will never know how many millions of people died when the missiles started flying. But at least we knew what happened, and Chanveer was gradually pulling through the damage. Now, all across the world, people are dying… and worse than dying. Vampires stalk the night, killing at random. Armies of ghouls gather in the wilderness, abducting travelers and raiding towns for fresh meat. They shrug off blades, and most bullets hardly faze them. I always thought that such creatures were merely myths, but I’ve seen them with my own eyes, rising from their graves! Only fire puts them down for good, or a stake through the heart, if you’re very lucky. And now there’s something else. I’ve had reports of groups of soldiers, slaughtered. Of bodies found with wounds like nothing anyone has seen before. The villagers speak of demons in the mountains. It sounds absurd, but I don’t know what to believe any more. All I know is that there are forces working on Chanveer that we cannot fight.

“I’ve transmitted our coordinates… I hope you can read them. I beg you, please send help! We’ll find some way to pay our debt, even if it means daring the ruins. Here in Burast, we have enough firepower to hold off the ghouls. But we can’t fight them in the open; our small arms aren’t reliable against them. And the villages haven’t-"=

He was interrupted by a loud explosion, and the entire building shook. But the transmission continued, punctuated by screams and gunfire, as Burath called his people to arms and took up a heavy carbine. The door to the inner chamber was beyond the transmitter’s field of view, but Burath remained visible while he directed the others into defensive positions and stood ready with his gun aimed. Then came a tremendous crash, and fragments of wood scattered across the floor as all the guns opened fire at once. A white flash filled the room; bolts of crimson energy hissed across the transmitter’s view. Burath was down, his flesh untouched beneath his light body armor, but his head reduced to an empty skull. Then, abruptly, the transmission was cut off.
Tier 9, Level 2-6, Type 8 (slight analysis in post)

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:12 pm

Ivy, Olimpiadan space
Property of BlueSky Industries

Ivy wasn't exactly a great place to be employed, since it was a dead world.

Owned by BlueSky Industries, a corporation from the swarmworld Joki, Ivy was named the way it was for several reasons. Being the fourth planet from its system's sun, the numerical designation of 'IV' was bound to be bastardized into Ivy, and it didn't help that the world had once been covered in the thick, leafy vines. Or at least had been. Years of aggressive mining had ruined that, something the miners didn't mind since it kept them from having to empty magazines into the odd animal that would look upon the humans as tasty snacks.

Of course, a result of this was that no one actually lived on the planet anymore. What was initially five space elevators built to make resource delivery from space easier slowly expanded into a metallic ring around the planet, tethered in place by long strands of carbon fiber cables that stretched thousands of miles, held taut only by the spinning of the planet itself. This ring was where Justinian Kolvanos was employed as a communications handler, and a damn good one (in his opinion, anyway).

The day had been a fairly average one. No messages from panicked miners following a cave-in, no calls from starship captains saying their refueling operations had gone poorly and they were going to die, not even a gripe that a vending machine was empty. And just as his shift was about to end so he could return to his quarters and contemplate the job he would have back home on Emerald once this was over, a call came. It certainly wasn't ordinary, and the language was strange as well. Nothing like his native Greek at all. He still had twenty minutes to kill, so he translated it.

The software in the section's quantum computer made short work of the message, spitting it back out in slightly robotic sounding Greek that missed the tone of the message completely. Justinian was immediately interested after there was mention of a war. He'd always had an interest in military history, and it seemed that he was about to discover some of his own. The content of the message seemed like a joke. Undead roaming the hills? Utterly ridiculous. The only way you could manage something even similar was by hacking someone's neural implants, and the only people with those were the extremely esoteric rich.

That said, it was worth something. So he sent it to his supervisor, who got a kick out of it, and sent a team of mercs that had pissed him off to go check it out. BSI did have a private army, though like those of other large Olimpiadan corporations, they were largely contracted, and not proper employees. Like just about anyone who was half decent at cards, the 7th Light Assault Platoon did have a leader that was able to cause the manager of Ivy Ring Section 18 to lose a thousand credits following a poorly placed bet in the previous night's poker game.

That leader was Aegis Palas, and he was fucking pissed at being sent on a wild goose chase. His team had to foot the bill for entirely too many of the operating costs of running a starship, and there was no real profit to be had on this dinky little world that they were barely able to triangulate, let alone care about. And that didn't even factor in the fact that the manager really was a cunt at times, especially now. But the 7th Light Assault Platoon was contractually obligated to follow through with this, and so they did.

The Cherry Tree undocked from the outside of Ivy's ring, a series of corrective thrusts allowing it to get a comfortable distance before jumping-

Orbit of Chanveer

-into the orbit of this awful little planet. The only thing that Aegis could see that it had in terms of an advantage over Ivy was the fact that its seas were still blue, and even that was debatable.

"The fuck is wrong with this place? It looks like it's been at war for decades," said Aegis, gazing out of the window.

"Probably because radiological scans indicate it has," said his second in command, Sibyl Apostolou. "It's pretty fucked. Must have some value though, otherwise no one would have settled here."

"Aye. Keep scanning, I'd like to know more before we land. Mostly so that I can tell if we'll be able to save the expense of landing at all," said Aegis, shaking his head and reminding himself never to play poker against that overbearing bastard again.
Last edited by Olimpiada on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyper-commodified cocaine capitalism. Urbanized solar systems. Omnixenophobia. War economy without end. Radical body augmentation for fun and profit.

I make exactly two exceptions from a fairly strict adherence to realism, and hate them both.

The Anchorage, for discussion of all things FT

The Interstellar Human Compact

Kendari
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kendari » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:54 am

Standing amidst the scattered corpses, Xhertahk examined what was left of Burast’s transmitter. It was crude and inefficient, he decided, and its basic principles were familiar. But the thing would have had plenty of range, and he hadn’t managed to locate the source of its initial bursts of static in time to stop the transmission from going out. This could lead to trouble.

Xhertahk shifted his left-hand KaosKorp energy blade into place and powered it up with a snarl. It was the insane cousin of the weapon some civilizations call a light sabre – its blade, a crackling, hissing torrent of constantly shifting energy. He didn’t consider it a practical option in open battle, but nothing was better suited to expressing his anger. When he stomped out of the chamber a few minutes later, nothing was left of the transmitter but smoldering wreckage.

Stalking out through the hole his gunbots had blasted in Burast’s rear wall, Xhertahk called the comparatively simple-minded constructs to his side. If troublemakers might start showing up at any minute, he needed to make sure that all of his obvious tools were under cover, quickly.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Xhertahk froze when Dark of Night reported the arrival of an unknown vessel – not in the system, but in orbit! A quick glance around confirmed that he and his minions had decent cover from above; they were in the bottom of a narrow, moderately deep canyon in the foothills, undercut on one side and almost dry this time of year. He instructed the gunbots to power down, minimizing the chance that they would be detected from orbit, and folded himself behind a stray boulder. As he waited, Dark of Night contacted him again through the Harvester’s hyperlink – undetectable to third parties, as far as Kendaryn researchers and Xhertahk himself had ever been able to determine.

~Shall I approach the planet and deal with them, master?~

~Not yet. We’ll wait and see what they do. They’d likely call for help before you could finish them off, and then we might have an entire fleet on our hands.~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

As Sibyl Apostolou continued working, the Cherry Tree’s scanners gradually assembled a clearer picture of Chanveer. The planet had once supported a moderately sizable population: over five billion, as best one could estimate at this point. Quite a bit of that population had resided in massive, sprawling cities along the coasts and major rivers. Those cities were long gone, each showing the signs of multiple nuclear detonations several centuries in the past. Only at the outskirts were any buildings still intact. Smaller, interior cities had also been hit hard, with a diverse assortment of weapons. Some had been nuked; others struck with dirty bombs or carpet bombed with conventional explosives. A few held lingering traces of chemical weapons. The landscape was also dotted with old craters that left no sign of their target… places that had once held missile silos, military bases, power plants, and the like. From the radiological scans of some continents, Aegis and his crew might well be amazed that any humans had survived the initial aftermath of the bombings in those regions. But clearly they had managed somehow, because aside from abandoned swaths near the ruins, the land that had been claimed by civilization still bore active farms and scattered towns. It was equally clear that the conflict had survived this devastation, as well. Border zones that marched across the landscape, seemingly at random, were marked with endless lines of trenches. They were arrayed with rough machineguns and artillery pieces, and here and there a few crude armored vehicles could be seen.

Despite all this damage, there was still some wilderness on Chanveer. The deep mountains were largely untouched. A few regions of forest had survived the fallout, although they tended to have a grim and twisted look. And in some places, the wilderness was reclaiming blasted ruins where humans no longer dared to venture.

The
Cherry Tree might manage to locate the handful of surviving technological strongholds. They were well hidden, but only against the technology of a sub-light civilization. Burast, with most of its defenses out of commission and a few more advanced pieces of equipment still running, would probably be the easiest to spot. The observers might also notice an area along one border where the trenches were torn apart by numerous explosions, distinctly different from the effects of the locals’ simple artillery. With high enough scanning resolution, close enough attention, and a little luck, they might even find packs of ghouls skulking in the woods or the lighter ruins. Once human in form, these creatures become increasingly warped as the nanites swarming through them gradually reinforce their bones with metal and supplement their muscles with artificial fibers. Claws like scalpels and syringes jut from their fingers, and many of them bear armor plates on their skin. They move without any concern for even serious wounds.

((OOC: Okay, it's getting late and I want to get something up, so here's a post. Anything in particular you want to know about what you'll be seeing from orbit?))

Union of Soviet Stellar Republics
Secretary

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Soviet Stellar Republics » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:31 pm

Gagarin Administrative Sector, Laika System, Kosmograd Station in orbit of Laika II
Committee on Human Continuity (KCN) Briefing Room

"...And that is the end of the transmission, comrade commissar." The aide ended the recording, stepping away from the projector and turning to the Peoples Commissar for Human Continuity, to whom he gave a quick salute before stepping out of the room, the heavy steel door clanging shut smartly behind him.

Kerim Makeyev sat back in his chair, running fingers along his jawline contemplatively, unable to help simultaneously feeling the jowls clearly starting to form there. He needed to get more exercise in. "Comrade Nikolai Mikhailovich, this is rather disturbing in its similarity, do you not think?"

The other figure in the room nodded slowly, a tall man, though with a clear tendency to hunch and the attitude of one who carries scars both physical and mental, "Very. Reminds me of Romania."

"Hopefully we can end this before it goes that far. I'm authorizing you to take a recon force to check things out, signs of Outsider activity, the Yellow Legion, anything of that nature. Your action from that point is up to you." Makeyev tapped an amber button on the table, causing a monitor to spring to life, filled with block text statistics of the system in question. Most were marked "???".

"We don't know a lot." Nikolai turned to the Peoples Commissar, "I hope my logistical options will reflect this accurately. Particularly if we think the Yellow Legion is involved."

Makeyev shrugged, "You'll have a better allotment than most are getting. The situation is...tenuous. We're newcomers here, Nikolai Mikhailovich. We must get the lay of the land and..." He reached out to slap the side of the monitor, which had abruptly gone fuzzy and become a mess of scan lines, "Make adjustments. I'm sure our scientists will cope, but until we figure out exactly what is different and what isn't, production is necessarily limited." Under Kerim's ministrations, the monitor seemed to stabilize, the steady green glow returning.

"I see, comrade Commissar." Nikolai saluted, "If that is all, sir, then I will select my team and depart."

"Good luck, comrade." Kerim stood, clasping Nikolai's hand.

---

Aboard the NKS Chelomei
Inbound to Chanveer

The bridge of the Chelomei was a sparse affair. Perhaps back home it had been a gleaming monument to the Peoples Red Space Forces, but here it was a mess of exposed wiring, solder and mismatched chunks of whatever electronics could be scavenged and crammed into the appropriate stations. Somebody had discovered at some point that virtually every electronic device produced back home didn't function in this universe, something about the electrons being slightly too big or the speed of light being .07% slower. Regardless, some things had to work all the time, and thus had to be replaced, resulting in the mishmash of alien and homebrewed tech which was the bridge of virtually every Soviet vessel.

"Preparing to reenter realspace, Komkor." Nikolai braced himself and kept an eye on the ship's navigator. The whole process of faster-than-light travel made him uneasy, but the navigators doubly so. Traveling back to the universe they had fled, where the rules of conventional reality no longer applied, and doing so in the hands of a person who was willing to subject themselves to whatever unknown forces crawled into their brain to help them navigate this place. It was unnerving. The dead, glassy-eyed look of the navigators themselves didn't help matters. Abruptly, there was a lurching moment of vertigo, a feeling like something cold and wet brushing against the inside of his eyes, and a sudden empty feeling as the more-or-less normal laws of reality reasserted themselves.

The ship's captain, Komkor Gavriil Loginovich, adjusted his stance. The zero-g environment combined with the unwieldy pressure suits made it impossible for anybody to be really comfortable when the ship wasn't under acceleration, so constant movement was key to not having to deal cramping and numbness. He used the excuse to turn towards Nikolai, "Your stop, comrade commissar." Without waiting for a reply, the captain shifted once more, "Navigation, put us in a high orbit. I want to see anything that launches from that dirtball before it gets too close."

"I certainly hope so." The KCN commissar returned the captain's level look, "Open a comms channel and see if anybody's listening."

After a short interlude as the ships general band transmitter was brought online, Nikolai accepted the microphone and began to speak, "Attention Chanveer, this is the Soviet vessel Chelomei responding to a distress signal from the city of Burast. As the transmission was cut off, we request confirmation as to whether or not Burast is a safe landing zone. Otherwise, we are here to render what assistance we can. I repeat, this is the Soviet vessel Chelomei, requesting confirmation of the previously sent distress signal. Respond."

Chanveer
Attaché

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Chanveer » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:00 pm

Xhertahk was fabricating a small sensor array when Dark of Night alerted him to the Chelomei’s arrival. He paused for a moment, listening to Nikolai’s transmission, then resumed his work.

~Troublesome, but unsurprising. Keep me informed when they land.~

Opening his jaw slightly, Xhertahk ejected two freshly configured hyperlink nodes. He installed the first in the sensor, and plugged the other into one of his own data ports. Although this was a decent hiding place, Xhertahk wasn’t willing to risk anyone getting their hands on an intact gunbot. The sensor array, properly concealed and wrapped in a crystalline shell to disguise its energy signature, would make sure that nobody discovered the deactivated bots without his knowledge. Its self-destruct would make sure that nobody managed to examine one of them.

Thosval

Technician Padrik Thos-Kadrie burst into Thosval’s dining hall at a dead run.

“Lady Malsa! We’ve gotten an off-world transmission! They’ve come for Lord Burath’s message, they want confirmation…”

Malsa Thosful was at the dining hall’s door before he could finish. Although no longer young, she kept herself in good shape, and left Padrik panting in her wake on the way back to the communications room.

“Play it for me.”

-“Attention, Chelomei. This is Lady Malsa Thosful, transmitting out of Thosval. Burast is a fortress, not a city, but we’ve… lost contact with them. I cannot confirm their status, but we certainly need help! Our planet is in trouble, and I haven’t been able to find anyone with any clue how it started. Thosval’s perimeter is currently clear of ghouls. What are your landing requirements? If you wish, I’ll find you a safe site.”-
Last edited by Chanveer on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobbeebia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbeebia » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:29 pm

“I’ve transmitted our coordinates… I hope you can read them. I beg you, please send help! We’ll find some way to pay our debt, even if it means daring the ruins. Here in Burast, we have enough firepower to hold off the ghouls. But we can’t fight them in the open; our small arms aren’t reliable against them. And the villages haven’t-"=

"The message was only heard once..." the lone communications officer stood in stone like silence between answers to questions being asked of him. His face was stiff as if chiseled from granite.

This is a burst wave transmission Ensign. These do not normally send out one time, hit or miss messages and from the sounds of the message itself it looks to be like the work of pranksters and social deviants... Ghouls indeed, but you seem to believe this message is speaking about a terrible plague has hit these people?" His superior had his doubts as was evidenced by his lack of interest and semi-scolding tone as he looked over the message translation once more. The young officer gave his defining answer to his interrogation. "Yes Sir... I do". Captain Yantosi rubbed his eyes in either frustration or fatigue- probably both considering the week he was having thus far.

Swiping his hand off to his far side his desummoned the hardlight console before him letting it fade into the ether before turning back around and taking his seat back at his desk, one of the few real chairs on the ship, not being made of hardlight. His brow frowned heavily as he weighted his options carefully before opening a hyperlink between him and his ships P.A. system

All hands! This is Captain Yantosi, your commanding officer. At approximately 1300 hours local we received a distress call from a planet within actionable range to our location. The message was scattered and broken, but we have reason to believe this threat these people are facing is of a concern to your Imperium and in accordance with our Imperial mandate I am ordering our vessel to respond to this message with our full might. I want all combat teams outfitted and readied for inspection of the planet and its inhabitants. All CIC personnel are to report to the immediate supervisors for tasking. That is all."

Within a matter of moments the ship was abuzz with life, and more life then normal. The last time their ship had conducted an investigation it was in response to a Ventorie attack on an outpost- the battle ended in a bitter victory with the ship losing almost a 3rd of her souls in the fighting. AS final preparations were made the HSV Infinite Sanctuary's Trans-Universal Drives engaged propelling the vessel and her mates through numberless amounts of universes before settling in the transit voids making headway to their destination as the Universal comparison charts mapped their relative positions through numerous universes before finding the optimal Universal re-entry point.

The bright ball of white energy erupted from seemingly nowhere and was gone as quickly as it came leaving behind only the ship and her souls sitting in high orbit of the planet and her moon sitting ever so carefully in the twilight zones.

Carefully the crew continued with standard operations, letting the sensor team deploy a micro-band frequency EMP pulse leap from her hull letting her map the planets orbital planes, the planets moon and the visible surface. As the data came flowing in looks of pain broke out across many faces at the wounds of war the planet bore from long ago.

"Sensors... tell me what I'm I'm looking at....
No Sig installed please insert boot media and press any key to continue

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:26 am

Orbit of Chanveer

As more and more images came in from the cameras, Aegis grew more and more disturbed. This place wasn't just war torn, it was utterly fucked. The various monstrosities wandering about on the ground were pretty disgusting, even to the battle hardened mercenaries. Maybe that bit about ghouls wasn't bullshit. There was only one actually good way to find out. "Sibyl, what are your thoughts on target practice?" he asked, a faint smile playing across his lips. They couldn't be that bad, after all. Olimpiadan arms were advanced enough to make short work of unarmored targets, after all.

"Could be interesting," she replied with a calculating tone. "Do you think it's necessary?"

"I think we already spent the money getting here, and we may as well land. We've got thirty men, and they haven't seen action in quite awhile," said Aegis, grinning. "Let the men know we're going to be seeing if 'ghouls' actually exist, and how easily their brains fly apart."

One hour later

Unlike military vessels, the Cherry Tree was an older design, and took its sweet time landing. Once it had, the troops poured out. The vast majority of them were grateful that they had put their masks on ahead of time, and those that hadn't quickly did. Each step sent up a small cloud of ash, and that didn't help the place to stop smelling like death. Eyes peered through dark goggles at the dead land around them. This was supposed to be relatively close to a human settlement that a photo indicated was called Burast, but they were interested in keeping the ship out of the way.

Ten soldiers remained behind to guard, while the other twenty went on ahead, sending tall plumes of dust and ash into the air as their compact motorcycles sped along, small vehicles powered by a nuclear battery that could collapse down to the size of a large briefcase. Oddly enough, the military had shown little interest in the design, just like everyone else. That said, BlueSky mercenaries loved it for some reason. Maybe it was because the things had been so convenient during skirmishes in the streets of the crowded ecumenopolis of Clockwork against hostile companies that were interested in removing the company's influence there.

Wind that would have chilled the soldiers to the bone as they raced through the landscape peeled off against the artificial fibers of their uniforms and the hard metal of their combat masks, styled like everything from Japanese demons to Aztec warriors. It was a personal thing for many Olimpiadan soldiers, a tradition borne all the way back when the Jihad of Man's Divinity had begun in 671 GA. After awhile though, they discovered something interesting.

A ghoul. And then another. And then thirty more. The motorcycles halted, soldiers dismounting and bringing their SR-170 rail rifles to their shoulders.

"OPEN FIRE!" shouted Aegis with glee as he brought up his gun. Finally, the action he'd wanted! What could go wrong?
Hyper-commodified cocaine capitalism. Urbanized solar systems. Omnixenophobia. War economy without end. Radical body augmentation for fun and profit.

I make exactly two exceptions from a fairly strict adherence to realism, and hate them both.

Chanveer
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Chanveer » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:43 pm

High Orbit, Chanveer

If the HSV Infinite Sanctuary’s crew examined the three small moons of Chanveer closely enough, they might discover the carefully hidden sensor arrays watching the planet from each moon, and the robotic ‘ant farms’ that keep them powered and maintained. And of course, they could hardly miss the other two ships in Chanveer’s orbit. Aside from this, they would assemble much the same picture that the Cherry Tree had uncovered: an ordinary Earth-type world, ravaged centuries ago by nuclear warfare, and deeply scarred by the technologically cruder battles and skirmishes that had continued ever since.

Along coastlines and major rivers, they would find the devastated remnants of massive, long-dead cities. They would see continents dotted with scattered craters and ruins; divided by rugged mountain ranges and deep forests, twisted by the aftereffects of radioactive fallout; traced with endless lines of trenches and bunkers. But despite all this damage, they would discover that many areas, well clear of the ruins, hold scattered farms and villages. There are larger towns to be found, and a few hidden forts that might show the signs of more advanced technology than most of the planet managed to maintain. The most obvious of these is Burast, with its rear wall blasted through and many of its concealing defenses out of commission – the same place that the
Cherry Tree was moving in to land.

And here and there, skulking amidst the trees and ruins, they might spot the forms of the ghouls.

Near Burast; late afternoon

((OOC: Ghouls get more grotesque, and tougher, over time. And since you emphasized how horrible they look, you get an extra nasty batch. Enjoy!))

The ghouls reacted to the twenty BlueSky mercenaries’ arrival almost instantly, and with no obvious communication. About half of them charged straight toward Aegis and his soldiers. With their battlesteel claws fully extended and coated with potent knock-out drugs, they advanced at a bounding run, swifter than any normal, unaided human could have moved. The others scattered to both sides, darting from rock to tree and using any cover they could find as they moved to attack the mercenaries’ flanks.

Even aside from their remarkable speed and strength, it was easy to see the ghouls’ distorted musculature, as they were dressed in little more than tattered rags. Many showed old wounds that were not so much healed as simply sealed off. A few ghouls were so warped and damaged that it was hard to tell if they had once been men or women, despite their scant clothing. Some had slits, like gills, on one side of their chest. Not that any of the soldiers were likely to be worried about such details now!

One ghoul went down to a headshot almost immediately. Another took a shot right through the left eye, blowing most of his brain out through the back of his skull – but merely staggered under the impact and came on as if nothing had happened. A third, with her right hip obliterated by a hit to her lower body, scrambled closer on her hands and her good leg. Shots that didn’t hit squarely often glanced off bone plated in battlesteel, and three ghouls even shrugged off the first few hits they took with the faint shimmer of personal shields. The ghouls were going down, but far more slowly than their unarmored appearance would suggest, and the speed of their charge would almost have to have caught the mercenaries by surprise.

Spindle
Senator

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Spindle » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:58 am

CIC
HMSS Venture
B-space Transit

Explorator-Captain Mearie was of the opinion that he had the worst job in the world.

He'd signed onto the military in order to get quick and easy access to the upper levels of politics: that was probably the reason anyone joined the military nowadays. He'd gone through the required tests as best he could and listed his preferences: Navy at the top, Army at the bottom and Explorator Corps second in line. He'd thought he was being clever with that: the Army never got into combat and so he'd never be able to get recognised there: the Legions went into combat so much that he'd thought he'd die within a year. And the Explorator Corps...well, they were a safe bet, right? How wrong could you go with them?

Very wrong. Unlike every other portion of the military, the Explorator Corps didn't run exercises - they simply didn't have the time for things like that. No, once you got out of Crimson peak, you were on your own and learning from experience. And that meant that you never had the chance to excel and so, by extension, you were never noticed. And that meant that the Explorator Corps was one of the slowest-advancing branches of the military. And also, the one he was now locked into for another two years.

His wing-cases clicked together in irritation at the thought. Two more years doing nothing, surveying nowheres and occasionally meeting nobodies who were, more often than not, just Explorators of their own. He'd seen the universe, that was true, but he'd disocvered that the vast majority of the universe was nothingness interspersed with dull, lifeless systems and, occasionally, primitives or species which had reached the point of no return and were about to get wiped out by the ecosystems and climate they'd spent the past few centuries destroying.

"Realspace translation in thirty seconds, Sir!" Kearella, his second, said helpfully, as if Mearie couldn't see the numbers counting down in the simulspace with them, "What do you think's going to be here?"

"Probably just another few hunks of rock orbiting a fusion bomb." Mearie sighed, antenna twitching in mock-anticipation, "I can't wait."

"Should I get the rest of the crew linked in?" Kearella asked with the unfazed optimism she'd been forcing upon Mearie for the past six months.

"No need." Mearie told her wearily, "If we need to wake them up, we can do it once we're in-system. It's not like we'll be pressed for time."

As if on cue, the pure black of B-space shifted into the speckled velvet of realspace and a systemnal map appeared in the simulspace with them. It took the merest moment for the QE comms to link the Inquisitive's simulspace into the Venture's. With it, seven other Dearyn appeared and Mearie's wing-cases fluttered with annoyance. Of course Jerelian had a regulation seven-crew CIC for their translation into the system. She just couldn't do it any other way, could she? Mandibles clicking absently, Mearie inclined his head to the other Captain.

"Have a nice trip?" He asked.

"Perfectly." Jerelian replied, pulling up simulspace data, "Is there anything of interest in this system?"

"I doubt it." Mearie smirked, "Recon Drones away."

"You shouldn't do that until we've got an analysis of the system." Jerelian reprimanded him, "We don't know if there's hostile-"

"There." Mearie interrupted her, "Nothing above five kelvin inside our sphere of information."

"That doesn't mean anything yet." Jerelian scowled, "We don't know what's out there now."

"And we never will." Mearie said with a flick of his antenna, "Look: there's only one planet that's potentially habitable - by damn near anything. Let's just slot a drone into orbit, give it a once-over, collect our data and leave. We don't even need to move beyond the B-space hyper limit."

"And what if there's a hostile force out there?" Jerelian asked harshly.

"What if there isn't?" Mearie retorted.

"Does that even matt-" Jerelian began, before a blinking light from one of the Recon Drones caught her attention and she turned back into the simulspace before turning back to Mearie.

"Oh, joy." Mearie sighed, mandibles clicking together, "There's certainly someone down there. Let me guess..."

"Keep our drones in a full spread pattern." Jerelian snapped, "If there's a civilisation down there, they might have another settlement."

"Yeah, right. One which isn't giving off any transmissions like that one." Mearie replied scathingly, "I'll bet they figured telegraphs out a century ago, absolute minimum."

"And we're going to move into orbit." Jerelian continued over Mearie.

"Of course." Mearie sighed, "Don't you want to figure out what they're saying first?"

"We'll have time." Jerelian smiled sweetly, "It's four and a half hours into orbit, right? We can write up our reports and get the transmission cracked and analysed by then."

"Fine." Mearie conceded eventually, "We'll do this one by the book."

Turning to Kearella, he let his wing-cases settle into a comfortable position before saying anything.

"Inform me when we've got a clue what that's about." He said, forming a desk to sit at in the simulspace, "And please tell me our next star's got more than a day of B-space travel to get to."

"Yes, Sir!" Kearella nodded with a brisk salute, "Should I wake the rest of the crew up now?"

Mearie's glare could have melted a hole in combat armour.

CIC
HMSS Venture
Unnamed System 11932

"Of course it was going to be Humans down there." Mearie sighed, "Just how fast do the damned things breed, anyway?"

"Are you really going to give us this again?" Jerelian asked, "Yes, they're everywhere. Could you get over it now?"

"But don't you not just feel...disturbed when you think about it?" Mearie pressed, "I'm fairly certain they've got to be on drugs or something."

"And speaking of being on something, what in the Stars do you think's going on in that transmission?" Jerelian asked, "Ghouls? That kind of stuff doesn't happen without...well, Doom getting involved. And I doubt they're interested in someplace like this."

"What?" Mearie asked, "Of course it can. It's the same principle as Strain Thirteen, right? You'd just have to introduce a strain to keep the detritivores dead and another one to respire for the corpse."

For a moment Jerelian was silent before Mearie tilted his head smugly at her, antennae waving lazily.

"It's literally the first thing that comes up when you search: "Resurrection nanites", you realise."

"Fine." Jerelian conceded, "Let's assume its nanites, not metaphysics."

"I'd be surprised if it wasn't." Mearie noted, "They had particle beams. Nothing magical, though: you can see the flesh vaporising, ionising and combusting if you check the transmission. The only question is why someone with technology that far ahead of the locals' even bothers with reanimation. It's not like that's a trick that works on any modern force."

This time it was Jerelian's turn to tilt her head smugly.

"I'd have thought it was obvious." She said with a sweet smile, "They're strapped for resources."

"Oh, yes." Mearie replied with scathing sarcasm, "Please explain how that's obvious, oh deity of observation."

"They're recruiting the indigs to fight their war for them." Jerelian said simply, "Now tell me you haven't seen that M.O. before."

"You think this is one of our plans?" Mearie asked, with no less sarcasm in his voice.

"Of course not." Jerelian snorted, "If we tried something like this Parliament would freeze everything the moment they found out. I'm just saying that it's exactly the kind of thing we would try if we didn't have Parliament as our moral watchdog."

"So do you have any ideas on their motives?" Mearie pressed.

"Resources?" Jerelian asked, "Position? The people themselves? Shits and giggles? Why do people ever do things like this?"

"Generally because we don't have the resources to kick someone off of a planet without getting the indigs to help us." Mearie pointed out dryly, "Although we'll usually at least pretend to be doing it for the indigs, not to them..."

"I imagine there's a reason." Jerelian shrugged, "I imagine we'll figure it out once we're on the ground."

"We're heading to the ground?" Mearie asked, antennae stiffening in surprise, "And not...y'know...not?"

"Do you not think that we have a moral duty to help them?" Jerelian frowned, "The indigs don't have a chance down there. We can at least give them a chance here."

"Or we could get ourselves killed because whoever's down there has anti-orbital weaponry." Mearie countered, "I'd much rather not become a loss statistic in the Corps' notebook."

"So you want to let the indigs get slaughtered and resurrected as....things?" Jerelian asked incredulously, "Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. They need all the help they can get."

"And how many different constellations are in orbit around there?" Mearie retorted, "Three? Four? They'll have their help, alright. We don't need to be there."

"And we don't know they're helping the indigs!" Jerelian's voice wavered for a moment before she brought it under control and continued, "Look. We need to do a once-over anyway. If we do it with the ships, we can get a clearer picture of what in the Stars is going on down there. We can make a decision based off of that."

"And let me guess." Mearie sighed wearily, "If it just so happens to involve you heading down on a shuttle..."

"A once-over takes a while." Jerelian shrugged, "I could head down and get something to the people downstairs. I don't know - a shot or two of hunter-killer nanites or something."

"You realise hunter-killers aren't foolproof, right?" Mearie asked, "And that's with nanites we know about. These things are probably a different design - they might not flag up as hostile."

"And you're not going to give it a try?" Jerelian asked, a burst of anger flashing over her features.

"Bring up a blood sample when you get back." Mearie said after a long moment's silence, "If there's something that's bringing them to life, it should be in them when they're alive and activating upon death. Keep protective gear on at all times: it could be airborne, waterborne or contact-delivered. We're going to decontaminate the Stars out of you once you get back up here, in case any of that stuff comes back up with you. You take our troop complement with you when you go down: they have anti-nanitic protocols. You follow them. Deal?"

"Odd, for you to care about protocol for once." Jerelian smirked.

"I don't want you to die down there." Mearie replied, "If I'm responsible, the Corps will have my guts for breakfast. Deal?"

"Deal." Jerelian nodded eventually, "I'll see about coordinating with some of the constellations in orbit down there."

"Fine." Mearie rolled his eyes, "Use the indig's language: no-one wants to translate any more than they have to. What are you thinking of saying?"

"'This is the Spindlean Expedition Corps Flight Herrerian, on a humanitarian mission to unidentified planet ninety-three, two hundred forty-one. We would request identification from the three parties in the orbitals, as well as any survivors on the planet itself."

"We can work on it." Mearie acceded, "I'd much rather not be tied down quite so early, if it's quite the same to you. What's the burst pattern you want to put it on?"

"That." Jerelian said, indicating the cone spearing across the last light-minute from the Inquisitive to the planet below them. With a small groan, Mearie resigned himself to being forced into this task.

"Stars above." He moaned, "Could you at least ask next time?"
Disclaimer: Nothing said here is the product of a rational mind.
So...apparently I'm a decent writer. Um...wait, what?
Relativity, nukes in space, nukes in atmosphere, LASERs, MASERs, kinetic weapons, missile and kinetic CIWS, impactors and centripital force.

And, of course, for anything at all, you can always go here.

Kendari
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kendari » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:39 pm

~We have another arrival. Two ships, moving together. I’m sending you some imagery.~

~This is getting potentially complicated. Give Khafnin and Dagger a full update on the situation. I want Khafnin getting eyes on that Thosval place. Even if nobody lands there, that lot is too communicative for my taste. We may need Dagger’s speed for a reaction force. Also, send me a spotter. I want a closer look over near Burast~

-“Herrerian, this is Commandant Steffan Greer transmitting from Fort Arkan, of the Oakleaf Coalition. The planet’s called Chanveer. We haven’t had any sort of real census in generations, but between us and the Starlights, there must be at least a couple billion people down here. That’s assuming they’ve been hit about as hard as we have by the ghouls, and that most of the villagers in remote areas managed to evacuate to towns when the trouble started picking up. If that’s wrong, I can’t really guess how bad things may have gotten. But either way, we need help. Thanks for coming, Herrerian”-
Last edited by Kendari on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spindle
Senator

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Spindle » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:44 pm

CIC
HMSS Venture
Chanveerian Orbit

There had been plenty of preparation required to get the team onto the ground. Between the two ships there were six Kibises and every single one was going to be in use to get the team and supplies onto the ground. It was, perhaps, slight overkill but Mearie would rather they were overprepared than underprepared and it wasn't as if he had to fill out much more paperwork to get it down there. The hangar crew did, of course, but that was a price Mearie was willing to pay for the flood of supplies which the team was going to bringing with them: medical supplies, consumables, airtight shelters, canisters of airborne hunter-killer nanites and sealsuits. Hopefully it would be enough to keep them alive and uninfected down there.

"Shuttle three, loaded and ready for descent."

The voice echoed into the simulspace and Mearie glanced up at the readout in front of him. Four of the lights were green: two were still orange. Nodding to himself, he returned his attention to the second-wave plans. He and Jerelian had had more than one argument about what they were going to be bringing down. Jerelian had pressed for them to bring a cache of weapons down for the indigs, and Mearie could understand that. But he wasn't going to assume that they knew anything about what was going on down there until there were feet on the ground. And, although Jerelian wasn't going to be dissuaded from landing with the first wave, Mearie wasn't going to let any weapons enter the atmosphere without at least a cursory confirmation that they wouldn't be shot straight down.

"Shuttle one, loaded and ready for descent."

"Shuttle four, loaded and ready for descent."

And with that, everything was ready to go. Glancing up again at the chronometer in his simulspace, Mearie let it tick over a little more before sighing and standing up. Connecting himself into the hangar's systems, he went through the security layers before a green light flashed up in the simulspace and a countdown appeared alongside it: twenty-four seconds. After eighteen, the depressurisation alert flashed up before the internal gravitics alert flashed up, lengthening the line of warnings yet again. By the time the countdown hit zero, the shuttles were disappearing down towards the planet below. Turning away from the dying warnings, he accessed the communications systems.

"Jelerian?" He asked, "Are you reading me?"

"I'm reading you." Jelerian's voice replied, "How're we doing?"

"Well enough." Mearie conceded, "I'll get you an in-atmosphere flight path."

A slight mental shift switched the communications from the six shuttles to the fortified settlement downstairs.

"Fort Arkan? This is Killeric Mearie, of the Venture." He sent, "You should have six contacts heading on an intercept vector about thirty klicks east of your position. Could you send us a flight path from there to bring us in without our being shot down?"
Disclaimer: Nothing said here is the product of a rational mind.
So...apparently I'm a decent writer. Um...wait, what?
Relativity, nukes in space, nukes in atmosphere, LASERs, MASERs, kinetic weapons, missile and kinetic CIWS, impactors and centripital force.

And, of course, for anything at all, you can always go here.

Kendari
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kendari » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:14 pm

Sensors & Communications Center, Fort Arkan, midmorning

Commandant Greer listened to Mearie’s message, then turned to the chief sensor technician’s station at the other side of the room. “Radar?”

“Bringing up active scanners, sir. …Sure enough, we’re picking up six incoming.”

-“Venture, Arkan here. We have your six contacts on our screens. We haven’t seen any AA fire from the ghouls, but better safe than sorry. We’ve got few enough aircraft in working order these days that they’ve had little reason to use it. Transmitting a flight plan that will bring your people in over land we control, and I’ll deploy a patrol to cover your LZ.”-

As the Kibises approached, they would discover that Fort Arkan was located at the base of a small mountain, with its long range sensor arrays at the peak. The fort itself was protected by thick walls, some three meters high, outlining a rough star shape. A short tower stood at each point, with weapons emplacements pointing in each direction. Like Burast, it was surrounded with old bonfires and charred bones. The landing site was the nearest reasonably large expanse of open space: barren and rather rocky, but close to flat. Two dozen soldiers armed with assault rifles and wearing light body armor stood guard, divided in groups of six. Each group also included one fighter bearing a heavier gun, which looked to be a step or two more advanced than the standard rifles.

Near Burast; late afternoon

The spotter, a specialized observation drone, arrived right on schedule. Xhertahk gave it a thorough examination, making sure all its systems were in proper working order, then retrieved its spare hyperlink node and sent it on its way. With its wings configured for gliding, the drone moved through the air in near-perfect silence. Its miniaturized shield generator couldn’t withstand any real firepower, but provided a full-spectrum EMR cloak. The little drone was equipped with top of the line passive sensors, and every sort of stealth technology Xhertahk had managed to acquire or devise. Now, he sent it in for a high altitude pass over the Cherry Tree’s location.

If this first pass went undetected, Xhertahk would circle the drone around a few times for closer examination. If the BlueSky mercenaries failed to detect it even at close range, then he could risk moving in to observe them directly.

Thavach; midafternoon

A hulking, armored figure, two meters in height, appeared as if from thin air in the midst of the village square. Red eyes glowed from the slit in its ancient-looking helmet, a massive sword was slung across its back, and its voice was a deep, grinding rumble.

“I am Xhertahk’s Dark Knight. The master has sent me with instructions.”

There were far fewer villagers present than when Xhertahk had made his visit. With the threat of the ghouls averted, most of them were working in the fields or shops. When those who were presence knelt before him, Dark of Night waved a hand dismissively.

“Get up; there is no need for that. I require only obedience.”

As they climbed back to their feet, the youngest of them asked, “How can we serve?”

“We have need of a place near this village where we can build and mine without harming your fields or homes. Bring me someone who can find this place.”

“I’ll fetch the mayor, sir.” The young man, who had one arm in a sling, dashed off.

Dark of Night waited, completely motionless, until an older man stepped into the square. They he rotated only his head to face the newcomer.

“Mayor Thandon. Master Xhertahk has shown me your face. You know what I seek?”

“Aye, sir, young Rikod told me you’re looking for a building site. I can think of a few places that may serve your purpose.”

Leaning on his walking stick, the mayor led Dark of Night to a large, rocky hillside overlooking Thavach’s water-driven mill. Dark surveyed the area, examined one of the rocks, and looked down at the mill.

“This should work nicely. The work will begin tonight. You may go.”

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:51 pm

Near Burast, Chanveer

Fragments of skull embedded themselves into Aegis's facemask as a nearby soldier shot a ghoul at close range, causing his screen to flicker for a moment, the digital heads up display for his ammunition, personal shield, and friendly troop positions resizing themselves in a way that obscured his vision like it always did during the boot sequence. This lapse of vision allowed a ghoul to get almost on top of him. Until he emptied his entire remaining magazine at it. Then it stayed dead, barely.

"Maximum velocity is authorized, crank them up to mach five, gents!" shouted Aegis with glee. Not only were these things real, they were actually a bit of a challenge for his team. Fortunately, the SR-170 was a railgun that allowed for manually altered velocity, making it useful for when you didn't want high recoil, or just didn't want to have to use a mop to clean after you shot someone. That said, Aegis still wished his team was important enough to get the modern SR-171, which used nanomunitions instead, allowing for programmable munitions.

There was a scream to his right as a soldier was hit, claws having raked his shoulder before the creature that did it could be killed. "I need a medic..." His yell for help quickly devolved into a mumble as the drugs kicked in, dropping the merc to the ground. Aegis cursed, but wasn't surprised. He knew it was dangerous, and he knew that the soldier in question was about to get extra pay for receiving an injury.

In retrospect, perhaps this hadn't been the best move, but it certainly was an entertaining one, and it readied the men for whatever they might find here. And that certainly was proving to be different from what was usually found.

Near Burast, Chanveer
Cherry Tree

Sibyl was at work cleaning the weapons racks on the ship. It was a surprisingly difficult job, since the weapon rack was meant to calibrate the various parts of software associated with the arms placed upon them. Small electrically conductive panels had to be polished to a sheen, and computers periodically needed recalibrating. Supposedly, the experimental SR-172 would be self-calibrating, but the gun itself was merely a rumor. This was why Sibyl preferred caseless arms: No fancy computers where they didn't need to be. Unfortunately, she didn't get that wish since BlueSky loved standardization like a Clockwork underworlder loved spice. At least the chore was interrupted by a message from one of the guards.

"We just spotted something overhead on the radar, not sure what," he said, shrugging. "Other scans don't indicate anything though."

"Recalibrate it. It's a pretty simple solution to computers: Turn it off and turn it back on again," she said in reply, rolling her eyes. She'd never liked that one. Too prone to avoiding simple solutions in favor of overthinking. At least he could hit an ECI merc from two hundred meters out, since his common sense wasn't winning him any points.

The soldier was back in two minutes. "It's gone now. Must have been something digitally wrong. Good call on that one," he said.

"That's why I'm the fucking science officer," she muttered. Not that a mercenary group even really needs one.
Last edited by Olimpiada on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendari
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kendari » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:22 am

Skirmish site, near Burast; late afternoon

By now, the sprawled bodies of ghouls were strewn all around the mercenary team’s position – some motionless; others, simply too damaged to keep fighting. But they were starting to get within reach now, and despite their seemingly mindless ferocity and recklessness, the ghouls were far from stupid. Whenever possible, they used one enemy as cover against the others’ fire. They grabbed railguns to deflect the mercs’ aim and get easier openings. They took any opening they could get, knowing that their drugged claws would make even trivial injuries into rapidly incapacitating ones. And although they fought in total silence, they were coordinated at every moment. If one ghoul could force an opening, another was often ready to take advantage of it. They watched each other’s backs, doing everything they could to keep the soldiers from getting solid shots in. They doubled up on individual enemies, and shifted targets in an instant with no discernable signal.

One ghoul, shot in the head but not killed, even played dead for a short time – waiting for a soldier to step next to her ‘corpse’ before slashing at his leg.

Cherry Tree landing site; late afternoon

Xhertahk would have scowled, if he could, when the spotter detected Cherry Tree’s radar transmission. That should have skipped right through the cloak, like any other EMR wave. But only part of it was caught; there could have been a faint return. Either they put more power into their radar than most, or the shield had a glitch. Have to take it apart for a full diagnostic when this is done. But they may not be scanning at all near ground level.

He sent the little drone in for a pass around the perimeter of the landing site, barely two meters above the ground.

((Go ahead and finish the skirmish with the ghouls, if you want, either by taking the rest of them down or by retreating on those suitcase motorcycles. Unless something drastic happens to it, the spotter will be heading in that direction next.))

Union of Soviet Stellar Republics
Secretary

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Soviet Stellar Republics » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:34 am

Aboard the Chelomei

"Of course, miss Thosful. Regardless, we will arrive shortly. Have your people clear a 100 meter squared area somewhere close to your location. And be sure there aren't any windows you don't mind being broken nearby. Light a flare or some similar signal and we'll land there. Chelomei out."

Nikolai handed the mic back and nodded to the ship's captain, "Do wait for us, Komkor, hopefully we won't be too long."

---

Shortly, Nikolai had assembled his team. Two marines would probably be enough, suited up in their rather formidable armor. Most of their weapons weren't really suited to a local conflict, but the armor itself was powerful enough to serve where a pocket nuke might be excessive, and they carried rifles as well, naturally. A trio of landing capsules were already waiting when they arrived in the bay. Nikolai entered his without comment, the marines following suit, eventually securing themselves within the cramped spheres. All three felt the change in acceleration as Chelomei entered a highly eccentric orbit, coming down at high speed just outside the planetary atmosphere, where it would drop the pods and break back for high orbit once more.

Some time later came the rush and sudden silence as the pod was hurled from the ship, and then the rush as it burned through the atmosphere, seeking the appointed landing site.

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:59 pm

Near Burast, Chanveer

Aegis flipped up his faceplate, his eyes taking a moment to adjust from the retinal displays linked to the tiny high definition cameras on the outside of the device to the actual look of the world around him. He held his breath ever so slightly as he did so. The air did taste foul, after all, and the freshly re-corpsified bodies didn't help.

The last ghoul had just been finished off, its head being crushed beneath a mercenary's heel shortly after its legs had been torn off by the high velocity rounds of the rail rifles. In total, there were three casualties. None were fatal, but one was enough that he needed to be rushed back to the Cherry Tree's medbay for a stem cell patch on his stomach and lower intestines.

The casualties weren't the interesting part, not to Aegis anyway. Casualties were expected. The actual undead were not. He'd thought that the message was a joke, but the fact that he was yanking a piece of bone from the visage of Vaiśrava a while kicking at a severed hand proved otherwise. He really did need to tell Sibyl about this. She was a scientist who had joined the BSI PMC to discover things, and this certainly was a discovery.

He used a small subvocalization to purge the unclean air from his mask, before signaling the others to mount their vehicles once more and continue riding. As he did so, he called his right hand back on the ship.

"Sibyl, you there?" he asked, the noise of the wind easily cancelled out by a selective filter keyed to human voice patterns.

"Aye. You need something?" she asked in return, her voice coming through clearly over his earpiece.

"No, figured you'd be interested in this though. They've actually got ghouls and shit here. Ain't that some shit?" he asked shaking his head, still not entirely willing to accept that this was all real.

"No shit. You'll have to pick up a sample for me on your way back, yeah?" she replied, the excitement in her voice evident. "Can't wait to see the looks on those smug bastards at Cobalt when they realize we beat them to discovering something they hadn't." What Sibyl failed to realize was that the Cobalt Ascendancy had been experimenting with this sort of thing for some time, and their only real problem was control, one that they weren't interested in sacrificing any more initiates over.

"Can do. Gonna have to hang up for now, Burast is just about two klicks away," finished Aegis, subvocalizing another command to end the call. Once again, the group stopped, their motorcycles folding back up into compact slabs of carbon fiber and metal that they slung onto their shoulders, unslinging their rifles in turn to free up space as they approached the doors.

They were seemingly impenetrable, but plasma cutters not only existed, they excelled. The advent of superconductors and advanced CNC/3D printer assemblers on Olimpiada had made for significant advances in the ability of electricity to act on the outside world, as evidenced by the equipment that the group had with them, from their simple yet powerful SR-170 rail rifles to the much more complex milsurp combat facemasks they all wore. The fact that the motorcycles had their own power generators certainly made these cutters possible to use, as they were merely a way of translating raw energy into raw heat.

"Antilochus, you got the cutter?" asked Sibyl.

"Right here, sir," replied Antilochus. He was a younger man with dark skin, the professional yet inexperienced sort that was typical of worlds like Tlacopan or Compendium, but rarely seen out here on the fringes of known space.

"Wonderful!" said Aegis, clasping his gloved hands together. "Do keep it at the ready in case these folks want us out, yeah? I do have a significant interest in going in, after all, and these assholes can't stop us." This earned a few nods, and even more chuckles from the other men. Aegis turned away from them, walked up to the doors, and started knocking, the metal of his light exoskeleton causing a loud clanging sound as it resounded against the steel. "Anybody home?" he asked loudly, waiting for the ringing in his ears to subside.

Kendari
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kendari » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:27 pm

Thosval

The landing site had been a farm, once, but it had clearly been abandoned for months now. In the gathering gloom of early evening, its dry, cracked ground was illuminated by four flares at the corners: two burning yellow, and two bright blue. A patrol waited near the ruined barn to keep the area clear and meet the Soviet landing party. As the three drop pods approached, they rushed to seek cover behind the remnants of the building. Nikolai and his team would find that the Thosvan soldiers all had much the same look: tall and lanky, with very dark skin, almost blue-black in color, and straight black hair. Eyes were gray, blue, or rarely green in color, but always dark. Their uniforms were mostly black, but heavily trimmed and speckled with white. Someone who saw both the Thosvans and the soldiers of Fort Arkan would notice differences in the make of their weapons, but both arsenals were clearly based on the same technology.

Thosval itself followed a simpler design, with a hexagonal set of walls guarded by several external bunkers. Spotlights swept its perimeter as night began to fall, but the signs of bonfires around the walls were all several days old.

Of course, the drop pods’ less-than-subtle arrival did not pass without notice. Khafnin looked up as they scorched through the air.

~Boss, we’ve got incoming near Thosval, like you expected. Here’s the footage. I’m sending a spotter ahead.~

~Good. Keep me informed, and try not to get caught.~

~Ha. As always.~

Khafnin continued making her way towards Thosval, with a tiny, heavily stealthed reconnaissance drone soaring ahead of her.

Skirmish site, near Burast; late afternoon

((You didn’t say anything about burning the bodies, so I’m assuming Aegis and his mercs just left ‘em lying.))

After the mercenaries left, the gory wreckage scattered across the battlefield was motionless, silent, and as cold as the grave. But not, in fact, completely inert. As it became obvious that the battle was lost, several ghouls had played dead after taking seemingly fatal injuries. As the sound of the motorcycles faded into the distance, one of those sent out a brief message with the special short-range communicator that Xhertahk had developed for his nanite control AIs.

-All survivors, identify and report status.-

Responses came in an instant, the shredded ghoul pack evaluating its condition. Seven members failed to report at all, their control chips destroyed by lucky hits from the BlueSky mercenaries’ powerful weapons. Four had taken such heavy damage that their supply of nanites was badly depleted. Without assistance, it would take them days to get their bodies back into usable condition. All the others were badly injured. They would need hours before they were ready to fight again – in many cases, hours before they could even move.

With this assessment complete, the handful of ghouls that were still capable of walking clambered to their feet. Hauling as many of their most damaged compatriots as they could carry, they staggered off in search of a secure hiding place. Depending on how long it took anyone else to return to the battle field, more of them might recover enough to follow.

Cherry Tree landing site; late afternoon

The spotter made its low pass without incident and set off following the tracks of the motorcycles. It had either gone undetected or been dismissed as another glitch. Confident, now, that his stealth technology would allow long range observation of the ship, Xhertahk found a spot that gave him a line of sight on the guarding mercenaries. First, he made his way to shelter behind a large rock. In a brief shimmer, he replaced his usual blocky head with a more specialized version, built around a far more powerful suite of sensors. Thinning his visual cloak just enough to let through a few select frequencies at 20% intensity, Xhertahk peered over the boulder at the distant mercenaries with one eye. Setting telescopic magnification to max, he might be able to read the lips of any guard that happened to speak while glancing in his direction; if nothing else, he’d at least get a better look at their equipment and vessel.

Burast; late afternoon

At first, there was no response to the clamor. But after a moment, an exhausted and worried-looking guard peered over the edge of the wall. He wore a similar uniform to the Thosvans, but was almost their opposite in appearance: rather short and heavily built, with pale, slightly yellowish skin, large amber eyes, and wavy hair of a strange, pastel blue color. He called down, “Who’s there?”, but the survivors began opening the gate without waiting for a reply. Anyone who bothered knocking couldn’t be too bad, right?

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Burast, Chanveer

The translation software embedded in the mercenaries' headsets quickly deciphered the language and spat it back out in Olimpiadan Greek with approximations for accent, tone, and speed that the programmers could never get quite right, resulting in a slightly chopped up sound. Once that was done, Aegis considered his response. He could always go for the grand first contact "we come in peace" speech, but that had never been his style either. Another choice was to give a very precise answer about who exactly they were, but one never knew what the other person's true intentions were. So, he opted for a simple response that revealed little yet still got the major points across.

"Aegis Palas, 7th Light Assault Platoon, BlueSky Industries. And you'd be?" he asked bluntly, his voice coming out in a similarly chopped up manner. It was about this time that Aegis realized how strange he and his men must look. A pile of people running around in low armor exoskeletons, seemingly without faces of their own due to the faceplates and the various figures and mottos painted on them. The fact that the fellow he was talking to appeared to be a slightly different subspecies of human was odd, but that wasn't quite as odd as showing up out of the blue covered in guns and ghoul blood.

Kendari
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kendari » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Burast

“Soldier Karos Sheth, Sergeant, Burast Guard.” Despite the odd sound of the translation system, the familiar ritual of introduction seemed to calm the man a bit.

“Are you answering Lord Burath’s call?”

By now the gates were open, and the BlueSky mercenaries could see that a handful of soldiers waited inside. They looked much like Sergeant Sheth: short, pale, and stocky, with large eyes of amber, green, or gold, and wavy, pastel hair in a variety of unlikely-seeming colors. They also seemed exhausted, and many of them were bruised and scratched, although none had serious injuries.

Cherry Tree landing site

When his spotter came to the place where Aegis and his soldiers had taken down the ghoul pack, Xhertahk paused for a moment to consider its report. By human standards, the delay would have been scarcely noticeable; for a conventional AI, it would have been time enough for a lengthy conversation. He finally decided that he would learn more at the skirmish site than he was likely to pick up by spying on the ship. After all, the people on guard duty weren’t doing much, and none of them seemed inclined to have an informative conversation while facing in his general direction. While the spotter followed motorcycle tracks toward Burast, Xhertahk slipped away to examine the battlefield.

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:18 pm

Burast, Chanveer

"Who?" Aegis was genuinely puzzled. He didn't know any Lord Burast from a hole in the wall. "I mean, the message we got, it's probably his. Lemme check real quick," he said, subvocalizing a quick command to the ship. The quantum computer gave a result almost immediately, a transcript of Burath's message appearing unobtrusively in the corner of his viewscreen, allowing him to easily read it without it getting in the way of his vision, according to an algorithm that constantly shifted the focus of his screen depending on where his eyes were looking.

"Yeah, there's a bit here about a war knocking you folks out of space, not wanting to use a translight emitter, and having these undead creatures that he mistakenly seemed to think only stakes and fire can kill. That sound familiar?" He paused for a moment to think about his next option, now that he'd stated why he was here. "If it does, we'd like to come in, seeing as being outside on this planet doesn't really seem like the thing to do, what with the ghouls and radiation. At least that way, we can discuss things without these fine fellows behind me having to constantly be looking around for ghouls and the like."

Kendari
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kendari » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:41 pm

"Praise the Stars! Enter, of course! We can't fully guarantee your safety within the walls - not anymore. But we can at least keep the ghouls out. You need to know, though, that it isn't killing them that takes fire. It's making sure they stay dead."

The town of Karstowe, east of Thosval

Alred Toscon moved through the dark streets of Karstowe with the perfectly silent, sure-footed steps of the experienced hunter he was, but his movements were casual and relaxed. If he did encounter anyone, obvious attempts at stealth would do nothing but raise suspicions. Alred had no reason to sneak through the streets of his home town.

He turned a corner, nearing his destination, and cursed silently. Down the street, one of the town guards was approaching on patrol, armed with a carbine and carrying a bright lantern. Wretched timing! And before he could consider ducking back into cover, the man saw him. Nothing for it but to keep going.

The guard spoke as he drew near, keeping his voice low to avoid disturbing sleepers in the nearby homes. “Ho, Alred. What brings you out at this time of night?”

“Couldn’t sleep. I thought a short walk and some fresh air might help.”

The guard, Ricod Spentur, nodded. “You want to be careful out here. Stay well clear of the walls at night. We’ve been getting reports of feral vampires nearby. But then, I suppose you know how to take care of yourself, hey?”

Ricod looked Alred over, noting the well-worn hunting knife at his belt. Then his attention was caught by a muffled cry from the direction of the town gate. He glanced away, and, in an instant, Alred struck. Before the guard realized what was happening, one hand closed over his mouth like a vise and the other wrenched away his gun, tossing it aside. He struggled, swinging the lantern futilely, but a needle pierced his throat to inject the same cocktail of drugs used by the ghouls. In moments, he went limp.

Alred eased the man carefully to the ground. Ricod was a friend; it wouldn’t do to harm him. A carefully calculated dose of another drug made sure he would remember nothing that happened at least half an hour before the injection, and Alred moved on.

The door of Korey Fithe’s house was locked, of course. Alred looked around, making sure he was unobserved, then simply tore the lock out of the doorframe. Fithe was a deep sleeper, and he’d been alone in the house ever since his wife left three months ago. Alred knew this because Elise Fithe was his favorite cousin. She’d told him a lot about her husband, including the way he used to beat her at least once a week. And just as expected, Korey Fithe slept through the dull crack of the door breaking.

Alred drifted silently into the bedroom, his eyes gleaming faintly red in the lightless interior. Fithe was snoring softly under a thin blanket, and he didn’t wake until the first needle entered his throat. After that, it didn’t matter. The swift paralyzing agent ensured that he wouldn’t cry out. A second jab, beside the first, injected a slow neurotoxin. Then Alred lifted the heavy, brass candle holder from beside the bed to complete the task. He shattered both of Fithe’s knees, delivered several rib-shattering blows to his chest, and dropped the candle holder on the pillow beside his head.

It was the work of a moment for Alred to make sure no blood was on his hands. A few minutes later, he was back in bed in his own home. He didn’t wake up once through the whole experience.

((EDIT: Added the little interlude in Karstowe.))
Last edited by Kendari on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ella2 6
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

The Strange Sounds of the Void

Postby Ella2 6 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:51 am

Orbit of 5810 Aquilae III
ESS The Silence of Two Hands Clapping
Clone Corporal 'Pivot'

The clone Sergeant assessed the man which stood before him, a younger corporal by the name of 'Pivot.' The younger clone had probably never been to a real fight, judging by his poor fighting stance. Pivot flexed his fingers before grasping the hilt of his dagger with his left hand and drew the tampered blade from its oiled sheath. His right fist was tightly clenched around a knuckle of needles. Perhaps too tightly. This was mirrored by his opponent, who held the dagger in his right hand. Everyone knew Pivot was a lefty; since the day they could remember, the most dominant of his two limbs was the one controlled by the right half of his brain.

"My money's on Pivot," one of the many spectators whispered.

"Are you crazy?" His comrade exclaimed, "the old Sarge's got him good this time."

"Ready?" Clapper asked, standing just outside the fighting ring. His two brothers nodded silently at him and he took the cue. "Let's go!" He yelled, clapping his hands together loudly, "He who dares wins, Lads!"

The first attack came immediately.

The Sergeant lunged at Pivot with his knife, expecting the younger clone to loose his balance with a quick strike. His poor footing basically guaranteed that. But they did not call him Pivot because the clone army was running out of nicknames. Promptly, the Corporal responded by ducking to his left, he brought his own knife up to parry the strike. The steel blades clashed with a resounding clink. The audience seemed to soak up the atmosphere of the knife-and-needle duel; themselves maintaining the disciplined silence which the players resigned themselves to.

Pivot whipped around and grabbed the Sergeant's arm and yanked him backwards. His opponent's foot caught on his own, sending the Sergeant crashing onto his back. The Sergeant barely bit back his gasp of pain and grasped Pivot's leg, his dagger ready to jab into the back of the Corporal's knee where the combat armour did not cover.

"Oi! All of you! Stop what you are doing right now!" The curt voice of the Commodore cut through the silence like the dagger in Pivot's hand. Curses, damnations and muttered execrates rippled through the crowd as the clones parted and one of the few humans aboard the ship, the Commodore in all his majesty strode towards the sparring clones. The pair clambered to their feet, and saluted hastily, the other clones following suit.

"What to you think you're doing Sergeant?" the Officer spat, jabbing a finger at the clone's chest, "Do you want to be court marshalled? I've given my orders that there is not to be any knife-and-needle aboard this vessel. For this, you CS-213245 and you CS-623812 will be performing lavatory duty for the rest of the month. Do you understand me?"

"Sir, yes, Sir!"

He turned to the circle of clones, recognising the majority of them as soldiers of the 3rd Platoon. He made a mental note to send them on the next suicide mission. "All of you to your action stations. We've got a job to do. And you..." His eyes settled on Clapper, "I want to see you in my office." And with that, he turned away and stormed down the corridor.

"Blu'dy hell," the Sergeant muttered, removing his helmet with a sigh.

"One month of lavatory duty," Pivot snorted, "the prize of a champion. Good hustle, Sarge."

"You said it, Kid," the Sergeant agreed. He looked around at the grim faces and clapped, replacing his helmet on his head, "Cheer up chaps, drinks' on me tonight!"

A cheer broke out among the gathered clones and the crowd dispersed. Apparently, duty called for them once more.

Orbit of Chanveer
ESS The Silence of Two Hands Clapping
Clone Commander 'Rosie'

"You need to keep an eye on your men, Commander." the Commodore stated plainly. CC-075, or 'Rosie' as her friends called her, was one of the first batch of female clones the Dominion produced. They, like their male counterparts, were genetically modified, combat fit soldiers of the Dominion. But they were raised with slightly different qualifications and skills. Some things, women just did better than men, and apparently that Dominion believed that enough to commission a test batch of female clone soldiers.

Rosie saluted quickly, "I'll make sure this doesn't happen again, Sir."

"It had better not, Commander," the Commodore warned. "Enough of that, I've got a task for you. You are to lead 3rd platoon and a detachment of the Royal Artillery Regiment down to the planet surface. Here is your landing zone." A holographic map of the planet appeared on the projector, specifying an area around the town of Burast. "That is where the distress call came from. The transmission mentioned ghouls, though we have absolutely no idea what that means. It's your job to find out. Until the threat is identified, the RAR will not have clearance to land. That is all for now."

The clone commander saluted once more. "I'll have the troops leave in fifteen minutes, Sir." She turned and by pure chance bumped into another clone officer, spilling the cup of boiling tea in his hands over the man and the hologram projector. The machine, while waterproof on the glass screen was still susceptible to liquids and sent out a shower of sparks from the base before it broke with a fizzle.

The Commodore swore profoundly. "Oi, cuckold! Get that clone to the infirmary at once." The guards by the door quickly removed the injured man from the room and rushed into the medical bay. "And get a technician to fix this damn thing."

"You're not even on the ground yet and you've already got us a casualty," The Commodore said to the offending woman. Rosie dared not meet his eyes. The Commodore shook his head in disgust and shouldered past her. "Useless clones," he muttered under his breath. Rosie continued to stare down at her feet as the heavy thuds of the Ellian commander's shoes receded down the hallway, leaving her with nothing but her thoughts.

She glanced up briefly, her faint reflection in the window greeted her with an expression of helpless anxiety. Dropping her gaze back down to her feet, she sighed in contemplation. Perhaps women were just not born to serve, she reflected. She buried her face in her hands and bit back the tears that welled up in her eyes.

A pair of warm hands closed around her shoulders. "Are you alright, Commander?" Came the voice of a man who had died, yet lived on to tell the tales of wonder, war and woe. "What's wrong, Rosie?" The clone turned her around to face him. Rosie looked up at the Sergeant's face, her own face was flushed a deep red. She nodded, breathing deeply to calm herself. "I take it that the Commodore spoke to you just now. Pay him no heed; he's just been having a bad day."

Rosie nodded once more. "I know," she agreed, "I just can't help but feel like he doesn't care about us at all."

"He's not like the other Ellians, that's for sure. But he knows what he's doing," the Sergeant assured her, "You just need to stop worrying, okay?" Rosie bobbed her head in agreement, wiping away the tears from eyes with the back of her hands. "Alright, get yourself cleaned up, it seems we've got a jaunt ahead of us." He patted her on the shoulder and turned to leave.

"Wait. Sergeant Mace," Rosie called after him. He turned around, a quizzical smile on his lips. "Thanks... For everything..."

He grinned heartily and touched his forehead in an informal salute. "No problem, Ma'am. I'll see you on the ground."

Edit: I didn't spellcheck when I first posted this in the middle of the night. So I've fixed it up now.
Last edited by Ella2 6 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Factbooks
Kato
Kaga-Kami

A writer of magic, fantasy & science fiction.

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:18 pm

Burast, Chanveer

Aegis wasted no time in calling for the others to head inside, the group quickly obliging. None of them wanted to be out there much longer, after all. They were adventurous folk, but if safety could be had during an adventure, it wasn't the worst thing, especially when the undead were out and about.

Aegis stepped in last, feeling the bodysuit he wore to keep his body under an optimal temperature and pressure rearranging themselves to account for the slightly different atmosphere inside beneath his looser military fatigues. These were made of a tear resistant material, and slightly padded at the shoulders, knees, and elbows to make sure that his exoskeleton didn't rub up against his skin too much and cause friction that would be a hindrance in combat.

He found that Karos's exclamation had been odd. 'Praise the stars,' he'd said. That was a religion that he didn't run into often. Stellar worship. Generally, outside of the Olimpiadan Church of Man's Divinity, there was some sort of deity that the locals worshipped, be it something more abstract like a overbearing force that defined the laws of nature and morality, or just some passing alien a few millennia ago that handed out a pile of food and left. A form of worship involving the stars though, was an interesting one.

"Safety isn't something I'm terribly concerned about. I wouldn't be a military contractor if I was," said Aegis, not taking his mask off like the others were already beginning to so that he could continue translating. After finishing this phrase, he briefly kicked back into his usual Greek. "Antilochus, you busy?"

"Can't see how I would be, sir," he said as he shrugged the folded up motorcycle off of his back.

"In that case, mind calling Sibyl and getting her to arrange for a competent businessman to deal with these folks? This is miles above my paygrade."

Kendari
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kendari » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:08 pm

Ella2 6 wrote:(Intro)

((Nice post. Not much I can respond to until they get on the ground or try to open communications, though.))

Burast

As the mercenaries passed through Burast’s gate, they found that the area within its walls was scattered with rubble, smoldering wreckage, and a few spatters of blood. The central keep’s upper levels were badly damaged, and smoke drifted from several of its small windows. Its lights flickered unsteadily. To one side, workers were hauling out fresh corpses and laying them in organized rows. While the other guards closed the gate and watched their visitors curiously, Sergeant Sheth hurried down from the wall to meet Aegis and his soldiers inside.

“I’m glad to hear that, sir. The latest turn of events… well, it’s shaken us all, here. Badly. You heard Lord Burath’s message, so maybe you’ve been wondering why it was cut off so suddenly. The ghouls didn’t interfere. Not a chance! They could never have gotten past us. But the… well, the demon; I don’t know what else to call it – it went through us like a chainsaw. I barely caught a glimpse of the thing, myself. I…”

Sheth paused, staring down in obvious shame. “I have to admit I’m glad of that. Never thought I was a coward, until today. But maybe it’s just as well. Everyone who fought that thing is dead. Everyone who got in its way is dead. Most of those who ran are dead, too. The ones who are left here – we hid, every one of us, when we saw how the fight was going. And we were lucky enough to be well away from its path. But I saw enough. I’ll never forget that sight.

“The demon was dark purple, from head to toe, and gleamed like metal in the light. It had glowing red eyes, and bigger teeth than I’ve ever seen, and feet like some nightmare bird. It had two guns, like nothing I’ve ever heard of. Maybe you’ll recognize them. One of them shot some kind of glowing bolt, as red as fresh blood. The other one just seemed to flash, like a camera. Once the thing left and we started gathering bodies, we found some with parts seared to nothing but bone, and others that were blown apart, like they’d been hit by a shaped charge. It was blazing away with both of those at once – didn’t seem to miss much, either – and nothing anybody shot back seemed to do a damned thing.

“You shoot at a ghoul, and it doesn’t do as much as it would shooting an ordinary man. It doesn’t make as big a hole, maybe doesn’t kill them when it ought to. But it does something, you know? You can see the holes, and the blood. Hit a ghoul in the leg, and at least he’s going to be limping. Shooting at the demon, we might as well have been trying to stop a tank by throwing rocks at it. And I’m not sure that’s the worst of it. Somehow, that thing got right up to the wall without anybody seeing a thing. The first sign of trouble was when it blew a big hole through the middle of the back wall. Then it was right there, coming through that hole and shooting everyone who moved. It wasn’t alone, either. There were more of those red bolts coming from outside, making sure nobody moved in behind the demon when it headed into the keep, and no one saw what was shooting them. The demon got to the wall without anyone sounding an alarm, so why’d we see it when it started killing us? Me, I think it wanted us to see. Wanted us to know we couldn’t hurt it.”

He concluded, “So, if you can shed any light on what attacked us here, I’d be damned glad to hear it, sir.”

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:47 pm

Burast, Chanveer

Aegis considered the report on the weapons. Sounded like the purple fellow had been using lasguns of some sort, though in different frequencies, which could easily be countered for glancing hits using an ambient energy shield. A direct hit, however, could only be lessened that way.

The fact that fire was a requirement was briefly concerning, until he remembered that he was using a projectile weapon, as was the rest of the team. A small swap over to explosive incendiary munitions should likely provide what he needed. He still had yet to find a creature that could stand up to nanothermite explosives without dying of burn wounds shortly after.

"I've got no idea what the hell your 'demon' is, but I know we do have solutions to some of your problems that we can provide to you, likely at a cost from the corporate leadership. Railguns, incendiary munitions, energy shields, all that good stuff. I've got Antilochus on the matter even as we speak," he said, jerking a thumb towards the one leaning up against a wall with a finger to his earpiece.

"Sibyl?"

"I'm here."

"Great. Turns out, these folks have a need for weapons. Guess who we work for?"

"A massive overbearing corporation that currently controls the majority in the Archontia. Or perhaps you meant the weapons manufacturing that they have a hand in?"

"Yeah, right along with all the other fun stuff like really bland tasting agricultural product."

"It's BlueSky Industries, not agriculture. What did you expect?"

"Maybe Nutricorp food on Ivy or something. Anyway, weapons and the like, yeah? That's what we were on about. Aegis wants a representative to talk to these people and sell them shit. You know where we could find one?"

"Not this side of the galaxy. We'll have to hit up Ivy for someone with the authority for this mess. Fucking bureaucracy."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents