NATION

PASSWORD

[CHUCKED IN THE RUBBISH BIN] Taxpocalypse Now

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

[CHUCKED IN THE RUBBISH BIN] Taxpocalypse Now

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:31 pm

So, after [v]'s dramatic announcement that nations with a population of over 50 million can now submit issues, here's one I've had resting in my brain for a few days now. Some of you may think of this as the most meta issue in the history of issues. This is a very rough draft, so critique away! In case you're wondering about all those issue options and references to other issues, click on "The Spoilers" at the bottom of the post.
TITLE: Taxpocalypse Now
DESCRIPTION: After the institution of the 100% income tax on high earners, a coalition of angry ex-millionaires and executive board members alike have taken to the streets once again to protest against the decision, seeing major damage in @@CAPITAL@@'s Financial District. Despite your best attempts to gather your Department of Finance together for a meeting, interruptions are already being threatened there.
VALIDITY: Must have chosen Option 2 to Issue #018 AND must have chosen Option 2 to Issue #076 AND must hold elections

THE OPTIONS:
[option]First up, @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, a noted upper-class patriot who falls outside the 100% tax bracket by virtue of declaring an income of 199,999 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@, walks into your office. He says that "If you don't give us a reprieve, then we'll have to channel money into our hidden Bigtopian bank accounts. That's damaging both on our economy and our morals - and we don't want another shambolic psyop from them come here. Do you remember how bad The Baker of @@NAME@@ was to your people? Exactly! Give me the money, or give them the opportunity to destroy our culture!"
[effect]@@NAME@@'s propaganda posters are widely regarded as the most expensive in the region
[stats]average income increases, average income of rich increases, culture increases, book publishing increases slightly, foreign aid decreases

[option]"Down with big business!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, operator of Snax Barry, which remains open despite constant lawsuit threats. "If you gave big business money, that's BAD! If you give rich people money, that's even more BAD! If you protected us from lawsuits and mandated that a bit of the income of the rich people goes towards funding us, that's AWESOME!" They then end up seriously injured amongst the large crowds gathered outside your office.
[effect]The most popular shops are ones that parody the names of celebrities
[stats]average income increases, average income of poor increases, social equality increases, civil rights decrease

[option]Amidst a backdrop of booing noises, your Under-Over-Sideways Secretary of State and Overseas Colony for the Psychological and Physiological Resolution Reading Micro-Department of the Financing the World Assembly Resolution Reading Department butts in. He says that "If we cannot be trusted to treat people fairly, why not tax them out completely? Well, that would be a bad idea, so here's my plan: Force everybody in @@NAME@@ to pay 95% of income tax, then divert about 5% of that income tax to the World Assembly, then divert about 5% of THAT income tax to the WARRD... well, that'ld only be about 1 in 400 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ given to us, but can't the rest be diverted so that we could lobby against those bad resolutions? You know, like the ones where we have to exist because a General Assembly resolution says we have to? I don't think I need to say any more."
[effect]@@NAME@@ is renowned for declaring war on nations solely to anger the World Assembly
[stats]average income decreases, pacifism decreases slightly, defence forces spending increases, arms manufacturing increases, weaponisation increases, government size increases slightly, wealth gaps level out to approximate equality, taxation rises to 95%
[validity]Must be in the World Assembly

[option]Amidst a backdrop of booing noises, your Under-Secretary of State for Finance butts in. He says that "If we cannot be trusted to treat people fairly, why not tax them out completely? Well, that would be a bad idea, so here's my plan: Force everybody in @@NAME@@ to pay 95% of income tax, then divert all of it to us, so that we can decide where to spend it? I know that this may sound stupid, but why force certain people to be much less equal than others? Think of all the people that we could extract more money from than before!"
[effect]A government crackdown on untaxed pocket money is underway
[stats]average income decreases, government spending on all departments increases slightly, government size increases, wealth gaps level out to approximate equality, taxation rises to 95%
[validity]Must NOT be in the World Assembly

[option]Just then, ex-millionaire @@RANDOMNAME@@ manages to enter via a series of supposedly hidden back doors. They complain: "I used to gain millions of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ each year as the CEO of the @@CAPITAL@@ @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ Company, but now I have nothing! I am getting utterly taxed out and, to say the least, quite annoyed! I have to beg on the streets to get even the essentials these days! I'll put it simply: Instead of diverting cash towards your sister's uncle's father-in-law's son's step-brother's nineteenth cousin's dentistry in Hugetopia, you can increase the number of tax-deductible items for us fallen tycoons, whilst maybe increasing the tax on what isn't tax-deductable. Because let's face it, nobody wants to survive on a diet of rainwater and roadkill. Now, I was wondering: Are there any traces of @@ANIMAL@@ meat on the floor that I can try to eat?"
[effect]@@NAME@@ is host to some of the biggest supermarket queues in @@REGION@@
[stats]economic freedoms increase, taxation increases, agriculture increases, manufacturing increases, eco-friendliness decreases

[option]A former felon who worked for the company run by the man who used to be @@NAME@@'s richest man before he had to give all of his money away in tax, and who cannot be named for legal reasons, then walks into your office. They hand you a copy of your last manifesto. They say that "This manifesto pledged that, and I quote, "Only @@LEADER@@'s administration will significantly reduce taxes on major earners". Yet you BROKE that promise! Liars have legacies, and your legacy will be that YOU BROKE YOUR PROMISES TO DRENCH THE LIFEBLOOD OF SOCIETY OF MONEY! At least give them a decent tax cut, and whilst you're at it, give the poor people a big tax hike. It's THEIR FAULT that they're poor, anyway!" They then leave in rage, putting a note on your desk: "Gone out to visit the local bank branch. Love, [REDACTED]."
[effect]ATM usage is at an all-time low
[stats]crime increases drastically, weaponisation increases, average income of poor decreases, average income of rich increases, economic freedoms increase

TITLE: Taxpocalypse Now
DESCRIPTION: After the institution of the 100% income tax on high earners, a coalition of angry ex-millionaires and executive board members alike have taken to the streets once again to protest against the decision, seeing major damage in @@CAPITAL@@'s Financial District. Despite your best attempts to gather your Department of Finance together for a meeting, interruptions are already being threatened there.
VALIDITY: Must have chosen Option 2 to Issue #018 AND must have chosen Option 2 to Issue #076 AND must hold elections

THE OPTIONS:
[option]First up, @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, a noted upper-class patriot who falls outside the 100% tax bracket by virtue of declaring an income of 199,999 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@, walks into your office. He says that "If you don't give us a reprieve, then we'll have to channel money into our hidden Bigtopian bank accounts. That's damaging both on our economy and our morals - and we don't want another shambolic psyop from them come here. Do you remember how bad The Baker of @@NAME@@ was to your people? Exactly! Give me the money, or give them the opportunity to destroy our culture!"
[effect]@@NAME@@'s privately-funded propaganda posters are widely regarded as the best in the region
[stats]average income increases, average income of rich increases, culture increases, book publishing increases slightly, foreign aid decreases

[option]"Down with big business!" shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, operator of Snax Barry, which remains open despite constant lawsuit threats. "If you gave big business money, that's BAD! If you give rich people money, that's even more BAD! If you protected us from lawsuits and mandated that a bit of the income of the rich people goes towards funding us, that's AWESOME!" They then end up with no escape in a phonebox on the corner of @@ANIMAL@@ Street and Memorial Avenue, which ironically costs nothing due to the 100% income tax imposed on high earners.
[effect]Being a lawyer for a small company is considered an attractive job
[stats]average income increases, average income of poor increases, social equality increases, civil rights decrease

[option]Amidst a backdrop of booing noises, your Under-Secretary of State for Financing the World Assembly Resolution Reading Department butts in. He says that "If we cannot be trusted to treat people fairly, why not tax them out completely? Well, that would be a bad idea, so here's my plan: Force everybody in @@NAME@@ to pay 95% of income tax, then divert about 5% of that income tax to the World Assembly, then divert about 5% of THAT income tax to the WARRD... well, that'ld only be about 1 in 400 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ given to us, but can't the rest be diverted so that we could lobby against those bad resolutions? You know, like the ones where we have to exist because a General Assembly resolution says we have to? I don't think I need to say any more."
[effect]@@NAME@@ has declared war against every other nation in the multiverse
[stats]average income decreases, pacifism decreases slightly, defence forces spending increases, arms manufacturing increases, weaponisation increases, government size increases slightly, wealth gaps level out to approximate equality
[validity]Must be in the World Assembly

[option]Amidst a backdrop of booing noises, your Under-Secretary of State for Finance butts in. He says that "If we cannot be trusted to treat people fairly, why not tax them out completely? Well, that would be a bad idea, so here's my plan: Force everybody in @@NAME@@ to pay 95% of income tax, then divert all of it to us, so that we can decide where to spend it? I know that this may sound stupid, but why force certain people to be much less equal than others? Think of all the people that we could extract more money from than before!"
[effect]A government crackdown on untaxed pocket money is underway
[stats]average income decreases, government spending on all departments increases slightly, government size increases, wealth gaps level out to approximate equality
[validity]Must NOT be in the World Assembly

[option]Meanwhile, @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, a woman who worked for the company run by the man who used to be @@NAME@@'s richest man before he had to give all of his money away in tax, walks into your office. She hands you a copy of your manifesto. He says: "This manifesto pledged that, and I quote, "Only @@LEADER@@'s administration will significantly reduce taxes on major earners". Yet you BROKE that promise! Liars have legacies, and your legacy will be that YOU BROKE YOUR PROMISES TO DRENCH THE LIFEBLOOD OF SOCIETY OF MONEY! At least give them a decent tax cut, and whilst you're at it, give the poor people a big tax hike. It's THEIR FAULT that they're poor, anyway!" She then bursts into tears, and is carried away by your security detail.
[effect]All candidates who break their election promises are made to hand over their campaign funds
[stats]political freedoms decrease, economic freedoms decrease proportionate to your wealth gaps, government subsidaries on major industries increase
[validity]Must have chosen Option 1 to Issue #394

[option]Meanwhile, @@RANDOMFEMALEFIRSTNAME@@ "The @@ANIMAL@@" @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, a felon turned woman who worked for the company run by the man who used to be @@NAME@@'s richest man before he had to give all of his money away in tax, walks into your office. She hands you a copy of your manifesto. He says: "This manifesto pledged that, and I quote, "Only @@LEADER@@'s administration will significantly reduce taxes on major earners". Yet you BROKE that promise! Liars have legacies, and your legacy will be that YOU BROKE YOUR PROMISES TO DRENCH THE LIFEBLOOD OF SOCIETY OF MONEY! At least give them a decent tax cut, and whilst you're at it, give the poor people a big tax hike. It's THEIR FAULT that they're poor, anyway!" She then leaves in rage, putting a note on your desk: "Gone out to visit the local bank branch to gather money for my former boss. Love, the @@ANIMAL@@."
[effect]ATM usage is at an all-time low
[stats]crime increases drastically, weaponisation increases, average income of poor decreases, average income of rich increases, economic freedoms increase
[validity]Must NOT have chosen Option 1 to Issue #394 (this can mean choosing Option 2, choosing Option 3, ignoring Issue #394, or not being lucky enough to recieve Issue #394 yet)

• Option 2 on Issue #018 increases income tax on high earners to 100%.
  • Option 2 on Issue #076 makes CEOs strike for better pay options; however, the text institutes a union for white-collar workers.
  • Option 1 on Issue #394 reads something along the lines of "Any citizen who cries is automatically awarded a psychiatrist".
  • The Under-Over-Sideways Secretary of State and Overseas Colony for the Psychological and Physiological Resolution Reading Micro-Department of the Financing the World Assembly Resolution Reading Department's quip about why their department should no longer exist is a mickey-take of General Assembly Resolution #122 "Read The Resolution Act". Read the RRA, then you'll learn why.
  • @@NAME@@ declaring war on other nations solely to anger the WA is a throw-back to March 2014's controversial attempt to repeal GAR#2, the Rights and Duties Law, on the basis that war should not be a consensual act between two or more states. Note that your nation will still have to comply with all WA laws!
  • "Your sister's uncle's father-in-law's son's step-brother's nineteenth cousin's dentistry in Hugetopia" is a parody of the countless issues which feature members of your family.
  • "The Baker of @@NAME@@" is the anti-@@NAME@@ movie from Issue #584.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Viikate
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Viikate » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:06 pm

Should be invalid for nations with high income equality. ...since there's no high earners.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:42 am

Viikate wrote:Should be invalid for nations with high income equality. ...since there's no high earners.

If there's any income inequality then some people will call the ones at the top of the scale "high earners"...
:roll:
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The Weimar Republic
Attaché

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Weimar Republic » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:56 am

Tinhampton wrote:They then end up with no escape in a phonebox on the corner of @@ANIMAL@@ Street and Memorial Avenue, which ironically costs nothing due to the 100% income tax imposed on high earners.

What is this talking about and why is it here?
Following new legislation in The Weimar Republic, the streets are ravaged by murder and violence to prove political points.

Viikate
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Viikate » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:10 am

Bears Armed wrote:If there's any income inequality then some people will call the ones at the top of the scale "high earners"...

The draft specifically mentions millionaires, though.
But come to think about it, the validity is pretty restrictive already. I don't have any puppets that would pick both 18.2 and 76.2.
Last edited by Viikate on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Weimar Republic
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Weimar Republic » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:22 am

Is it possible for individual options to have their own validities separate from the ones for the issue overall? And is it possible to use WA membership as a validity? I've never heard of that before.
Following new legislation in The Weimar Republic, the streets are ravaged by murder and violence to prove political points.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:23 am

Viikate wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:If there's any income inequality then some people will call the ones at the top of the scale "high earners"...

The draft specifically mentions millionaires, though.

"Millionaires" are more likely in some situations than in others, though: Some currencies might have their 'basic' monetary unit as a relatively small one (in RL UK or USA terms, the penny or the cent rather than the pound or the dollar, for example) so that an income of one million of this might only be equivalent (for a comparable standard of living) to an income of a few thousand in various foreign currencies... even if there isn't runaway inflation pushing most people's incomes up into the millions/billions/trillions/etc...

The Weimar Republic wrote:Is it possible for individual options to have their own validities separate from the ones for the issue overall?
Yes, that possibility was introduced a year or two ago.
And is it possible to use WA membership as a validity? I've never heard of that before.
Neither have I , but it seems like another good possibility to have.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

The Weimar Republic
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Weimar Republic » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:46 am

Bears Armed wrote:
And is it possible to use WA membership as a validity? I've never heard of that before.
Neither have I , but it seems like another good possibility to have.

It might be a problem because people can join or leave the WA while they have issues stacked in their nation's queue. If they have an issue with a WA-related validity in the queue, and their WA status changes before they answer it, they will get an issue that makes no sense.

North Americorp
Secretary

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby North Americorp » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:02 am

The Weimar Republic wrote:And is it possible to use WA membership as a validity? I've never heard of that before.

That's been possible for as long as I remember. Check issue 132...
It's not used much, though.

The Weimar Republic
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Weimar Republic » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:14 am

North Americorp wrote:
The Weimar Republic wrote:And is it possible to use WA membership as a validity? I've never heard of that before.

It's not used much, though.

Ah, OK. I haven't really dug into the mechanics of issues before, so there's new stuff to learn.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:24 am

The Weimar Republic wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:They then end up with no escape in a phonebox on the corner of @@ANIMAL@@ Street and Memorial Avenue, which ironically costs nothing due to the 100% income tax imposed on high earners.

What is this talking about and why is it here?

Firstly, the assumption is taken that a substantial crowd is outside the meeting. Secondly, the further assumption is taken that more crowds are trying to chase down the operator of Snax Barry. And thirdly, the phonebox is free just in case one-time millionaires turned exceptionally poor people feel that they need to look like "men of the people", or if they must.
I see no need for adding yet another condition onto my issue. The people that used to be rich are now poor anyway...
How much should my upper-class patriot earn a year? 199,999 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@; 249,999; 299,999...?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:55 am

North Americorp wrote:

Some changes were made retrospectively: It certainly isn't that old.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:10 pm

24-hour bump (well, more like 34 hours).

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:51 pm

1. That's interesting, how would a person with 100% tax buy food, or anything?
2. What's WARRD?
3. You need something about increasing the amount of tax deductible items, such as food, water etc.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:20 am

Australian Republic wrote:1. That's interesting, how would a person with 100% tax buy food, or anything?
2. What's WARRD?
3. You need something about increasing the amount of tax deductible items, such as food, water etc.

1. Will take into consideration for draft 2.
  2. The World Assembly Resolution Reading Department. (See also: GAR #122, "Read The Resolution Act".)
  3. Might take into consideration for D2.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:49 pm

Second page bump.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:57 pm

Oh hey, a tax-themed issue, one of my favorite subjects. Let's see what you've got.

Good title. The first sentence of the description is really clunky. It needs to be funny like "Blah blah about the taxes, former factory fat cats wielding their fat cats have taken to sitting on all the available chairs in your government offices. Despite your best attempts to hold a meeting with your Department of Finance, you are already being interrupted by these previously wealthy and currently angry individuals."

The whole description of the first speaker is really unwieldy as well. Also get rid off "First up." In the effect line, change 'best' to 'most expensive.'

I'm actually starting to sense a pattern. Your description of what's going on is all clunky because you're trying to fit too much in each sentence. For example: "They then end up with no escape in a phonebooth on the corner of @@ANIMAL@@ Street and Memorial Avenue, which ironically costs nothing due to the 100% income tax imposed on high earners." That is so verbose. Also, it makes a giant leap. We're introduced to this character, we know he's the owner of Snax Barry and suddenly he's somehow stuck in a phone booth? Either add more to the story, or get rid of it entirely (I'm partial to the latter.)

Again in option 3, either be very subtle, or totally outrageous. The title for the bureaucrat is either not long enough or too long. For example, if you want the heavy anti-bureaucracy satire that I think you're trying to write, make him the Assistant to the Under-Secretary of the Financing Committee for the Provost of the World Assembly Resolution Reading Department. He doesn't sound much like how a stuffy bureaucrat would sound (that goes for the Snax Barry guy as well). Get rid of the rhetorical questions and add a bit more obfuscation and government jargon. The effect line doesn't really follow all that much, imo. Plus, as far as I'm aware, the only nations in @@NAME@@'s world are the NPC nations (though there are several mentions of @@REGION@@ in issues).

Option 4 doesn't make much sense in context to me and unless you know specifically what the option validity is, probably won't make much sense to the reader either. I say scrap this option.

On option 5, is being a felon a gender? Is the speaker trans? I say scrap this one as well. Both 4 and 5 don't work all that well with the narrative and are really out of place.
See You Space Cowboy...

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:45 am

All suggestions have been taken into consideration. Draft 2 is underway as I speak. Draft 2 is now up and running! Feel free to critique it, again.
Last edited by Tinhampton on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Second page bump AND 24-hour bump.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:38 am

Bump, for the same reasons as last bump. How many times do I need to bump this topic before I get any decent replies?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:41 pm

Seems to me that this issue exists because of the effect line "high-income earners pay a 100% tax rate" on issue #18

This, to me, is Max just being humorous in exaggeration. My own reading of it has always been that this is a comment on a progressive taxation system where the top band is 100%. That is, its not so much that if you earn $200,000 you have to give all your income to the government, but rather that the first $20000 is tax free, the next $30000 is 20%, the next $50000 is 50%, the the next $100000 is 80%, and then anything you earn past that (that is income in excess of $200000) is 100% taxed.

I think if Issue #18 was being written in the modern era, we'd have made an effort to make it clear that's what we're talking about, in the interests of verisimilitude.

I think there's an argument for editing that issue to "the highest band on @@NAME@@'s progressive income tax is 100%", though that might be less funny, which is probably where the priority lies. Regardless, Max issues aren't edited without Max's permission.

I'm not sure creating an entire issue off a badly written effect line is a good idea.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:47 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Seems to me that this issue exists because of the effect line "high-income earners pay a 100% tax rate" on issue #18

-SNIP-. Summary: That issue effect should have been clearer today, but we'd have to get Max's permission first.

I'm not sure creating an entire issue off a badly written effect line is a good idea.

(NOTE: I did the SNIP above.)

Good point. I've binned the issue.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?