NATION

PASSWORD

What is good and what is evil?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Atomic Utopia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

What is good and what is evil?

Postby Atomic Utopia » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:20 pm

So, I was looking into the past in this forum, and I have seen many fights between the forces of good and evil, of right and wrong. Take for example the time that good bested evil in the right wing discussion thread

Now, there is only one trouble with all this matter, who is good and who is evil?

The reason I ask this is that we all seem to operate on different views of morality. Some of us place human life above ideals, some of us place human life as secondary to ideals.

So seeing that there are large differences in what we view as moral, is there an objective, true, morality, or are there many different, equally valid moralities? Or perhaps something different altogether?

In my opinion, there are many different moral views, and no one is concretely more valid. But such concrete statements do not interest me, for I feel that what is enough to guide morality is empathy, pure logic sadly does not play too well with the concepts of good and evil. While empathy has no intrinsic value, it has value to me, and thus it guides me to the conclusion that utilitarianism is the only moral choice, that killing outside of self defense is wrong, and that charity is a great virtue to hold. Though obviously I cannot argue it from a purely logical sense why my empathy holds any value.
Fabulously bisexual.
Note: I do not use NS stats for my RP, instead I use numbers I made up one evening when writing my factbooks.

sudo rm -rf /, the best file compression around.

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:21 pm

Good is whatever benefits me, my kin and my nation. Evil is whatever does the opposite. No need to complicate things.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

Atomic Utopia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atomic Utopia » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Good is whatever benefits me, my kin and my nation. Evil is whatever does the opposite. No need to complicate things.

Why is it good to benefit your nation, why is it evil to do the opposite, and what is your nation, and what is that which benefits it?
Fabulously bisexual.
Note: I do not use NS stats for my RP, instead I use numbers I made up one evening when writing my factbooks.

sudo rm -rf /, the best file compression around.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:45 pm

I think good and evil can best be defined by teleology: fulfilling purpose and refusal to fulfill purpose, respectively.
Last edited by United Marxist Nations on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:48 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:I think evil can best be defined in terms of teleology: fulfilling of purpose.

Why's that evil? I remember reading that fulfilling of purpose was good in teleological ethics.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:50 pm

Nothing is good and nothing is evil. All moral claims are false:

• All moral statements express propositions (cognitivism) about what values are objective;
  • There are no objective values (which I defend with materialism);
  • Thus, all moral claims are false

It's error theory + materialism. This doesn't mean I condone everything, but that I find no moral basis to argue from that can be philosophically defended. I try to avoid moral language in argument as a result.
Last edited by The New Sea Territory on Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:51 pm

Good is that which helps, evil is what hurts.
That is of course a ridiculous oversimplification but I think you get the gist of it.

Tutukerala
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tutukerala » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:52 pm

Good is found through reason.

So basically natural law coming from God.

That's the thomistic belief

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:52 pm

New Werpland wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:I think evil can best be defined in terms of teleology: fulfilling of purpose.

Why's that evil? I remember reading that fulfilling of purpose was good in teleological ethics.

Let me correct that, lol
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

New confederate ramenia
Minister

Founded: Oct 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New confederate ramenia » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:52 pm

good and evil are s p 0 0 k y
New Werpland wrote:

I think he's saying failure to fulfill purpose is evil, succeeding to fulfill purpose is good
probando

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:53 pm

Genivaria wrote:Good is that which helps, evil is what hurts.
That is of course a ridiculous oversimplification but I think you get the gist of it.

Works for me. I like simple.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Atomic Utopia wrote:
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Good is whatever benefits me, my kin and my nation. Evil is whatever does the opposite. No need to complicate things.

Why is it good to benefit your nation, why is it evil to do the opposite, and what is your nation, and what is that which benefits it?

Collective survival. Everybody wants to live, and everybody most definitely wants to live without hardship and danger. Banding together in tribes and nations is the way to accomplish that - provided everyone pulls his due weight towards that end. Hence actions that serve the interests of the tribe are deemed righteous, because they aid in those efforts, while those that hinder them will naturally be received with hostility.

Not to mention that serving your nation, your people, is in your own self-interest. If they as a whole are strong and prosperous, so too will you have better opportunity of fulfilling your needs and desires.

What benefits your people is whatever fulfills their current needs, whatever brings more benefit than harm to their collective interests. It is by default righteous, because that is in fact the very essence of righteousness.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Helping and hurting what, though?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:55 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:

Helping and hurting what, though?

People, and societies of people.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:56 pm

Genivaria wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Helping and hurting what, though?

But what is helping and hurting them, what are we helping and hurting them from doing?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:59 pm

Genivaria wrote:People, and societies of people.

But what is helping and hurting them, what are we helping and hurting them from doing?

This statement makes no sense.

But for your first question most would agree with things like pleasure is preferable to pain and life is preferable to death, those who disagree aren't really around to give their opinion.
So where exactly is the confusion?

Tutukerala
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tutukerala » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:00 pm

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:
Atomic Utopia wrote:Why is it good to benefit your nation, why is it evil to do the opposite, and what is your nation, and what is that which benefits it?

Collective survival. Everybody wants to live, and everybody most definitely wants to live without hardship and danger. Banding together in tribes and nations is the way to accomplish that - provided everyone pulls his due weight towards that end. Hence actions that serve the interests of the tribe are deemed righteous, because they aid in those efforts, while those that hinder them will naturally be received with hostility.

Not to mention that serving your nation, your people, is in your own self-interest. If they as a whole are strong and prosperous, so too will you have better opportunity of fulfilling your needs and desires.

What benefits your people is whatever fulfills their current needs, whatever brings more benefit than harm to their collective interests. It is by default righteous, because that is in fact the very essence of righteousness.

What if the collective attacks another group of collective in order to lower its hardships. As in the case of early human history. The use of war for material gain. Is that good?

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:00 pm

Genivaria wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:But what is helping and hurting them, what are we helping and hurting them from doing?

This statement makes no sense.

But for your first question most would agree with things like pleasure is preferable to pain and life is preferable to death, those who disagree aren't really around to give their opinion.

Whose pleasure and whose pain? Why are these things good in and of themselves, rather than just being arbitrary opinions?

Gages Icelandic Army
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gages Icelandic Army » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:00 pm

Time for the stereotypical answer: nothing is good and nothing is evil. We should only acknowledge the existence of things that have evidence to their existence. Our strong opposition to murder obviously comes from the genetic need to minimize risk. Our opposition to rape comes from the desire to choose our own mate. Theft is "evil" because we or our families could one day be the victims.

Dogmatism makes it worse. We start to see things as evil that don't even make sense.

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:01 pm

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." - Socrates
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:01 pm

Genivaria wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Helping and hurting what, though?

Helping "people" can often be used as a justification for hurting actually-existing people. "People" benefited in the utilitarian sense never seem to be treated as individuals, but as a monolithic abstraction.

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Not to mention that serving your nation, your people, is in your own self-interest. If they as a whole are strong and prosperous, so too will you have better opportunity of fulfilling your needs and desires.

So long as "the nation" and "the people", or any other geist without content is prosperous, I am not. It is in my interest to see these smashed, and to "philosophize with a hammer" as Nietzsche put it.

From Der Einzige und Sein Eigentum: "The fall of peoples and mankind will invite me to my rise."
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."

Libertypendence Park
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertypendence Park » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Is this even a question?

Good heavens, is this even a question?

General rule of thumb: if ever you find yourself wondering if something is good or evil, SHUT UP FOR FIVE MINUTES, lie down, dispense of any split second opinions you've already developed, ignore the "good guys" and the "bad guys", and just think about it. Five minutes. By the very clock. If it takes you longer than that to come to a conclusion, then, and only then, are you justified in propogating your nihilistic wangst.
Guilaza wrote:
Lincolnopolis wrote:We could finally have a television channel covering Disability issues and finally have a growing number of people with disabilities that own and run companies. Finally, I wouldn't have to hear the rude and offensive things from non-disabled people. Yeah, I'd be glad to not have to deal with you.

I have aspergers...

#tolerance

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." - Socrates

I'm sure Socrates would say Ted Kaczynski was a good man.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Good is Christian values and Chuck E. Cheese.

Evil is everything that opposes the former.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Genivaria wrote:This statement makes no sense.

Whose pleasure and whose pain? Why are these things good in and of themselves, rather than just being arbitrary opinions?

Well I never said they weren't opinions for one, and I already gave you the basis for them so by definition they're not arbitrary.
So what exactly is your objection?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General