NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Campaign In Poetry, Govern In Prose

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Golgothastan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 26, 2005
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Campaign In Poetry, Govern In Prose

Postby Golgothastan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:26 am

Name

Campaign In Poetry, Govern In Prose

Description

In their election night victory speech, the new @@CITY@@ Mayor P. N. O'Chio has admitted that almost all of their campaign promises were complete lies, prompting outrage from supporters.

Validity

Has not banned elections

Options

[option]"You mean there's not going to be 350 million @@CURRENCY@@s for new hospitals?" sobs disheartened voter @@RANDOMNAME@@, tearing off their wooden "Vote P. N. O'Chio!" campaign button. "Why does this keep happening? Politicians campaign telling us one thing, then when they're voted into office they abandon all their promises. It's not fair! Any politician caught flip-flopping like that should be thrown out of office immediately! Otherwise, they're just taking the voters for suckers."
    [effect]politicians are prohibited from changing their mind on any issue

[option]"OBJECTION! The voters? What about the donors!" Still standing, notorious ambulance-chasing lawyer @@RANDOMNAME@@ continues: "This is a straight up issue of breach of contract. My clients donated to the P. N. O'Chio campaign in good faith, on the understanding that certain regulations would be, shall we say, finessed upon his taking office. In any other line of business, someone promising to do some work would be sued for failing to follow through on it. The same should be true of politicians."
    [effect]the courts are full as politicians are sued over the definition of the word "the"

[option]"This is all quite ridiculous," counters disarming political fixer @@RANDOMNAME@@, casually "dropping" a bundle of fifty-@@CURRENCY@@ bills on the floor. "We live in the real world. Yes, some candidates may play a little fast-and-loose with the truth on the campaign trail, but voters don't care about ideas: they're voting for personalities. What matters is what P. N. O'Chio has in his heart, not what he says. Not to mention any law restricting political campaigning is a complete violation of free speech."
    [effect]politicians promise ice cream on gold plates to an increasingly cynical electorate

[option]"I'm forced to agree," admits political scientist @@RANDOMNAME@@, who scored P. N. O'Chio's campaign at 0% on their "Electoral Truth-o-Meter". "Such a law would be impractical, and it could probably be skirted by clever politicians anyway. We'd be reduced to campaigns of terminal vagueness, and any politician who ever changed their convictions would be hounded out of office. What would be better would be to set up a neutral department to ruthlessly fact-check all political materials, speeches, and debates, and publish their findings. That way, voters will know the truth, no matter what the candidates are telling them."
    [effect]candidates vie for office as "the slightly less dishonest choice"

[option]"There is another possibility," whispers black ops scientist @@RANDOMNAME@@, gesturing you over to their sinister hidden laboratory. "We've been experimenting on certain truth serums to aid our security services in interrogating terrorists. What if we fed them to the candidates as well? They'd be forced to tell the truth then. And forced to suffer the, ah, rather minor side-effects too, but surely that's a small price to pay for the prestige of holding public office?"
    [effect]candidates for political office are forcibly injected with experimental drugs before live debates

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:27 am

I know there are already some issues a bit like this, but I thought I'd see if there's enough different in this one to be worth going ahead with.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:44 am

I can think of vague overlap, like option 3 of Syntax Destruction forcing all government statements to be legally binding and in legal terminology.

You can make this one distinct by making the description more about a specific promise that was broken, rather than just the general breaking of promises. This could send the narrative in additional directions.

Grandma, eggs, suction, etc., I know.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:56 pm

I understood almost none of that, but Google suggests: huh. OK, never knew that phrase. Anyway please do comment on my drafts, I wouldn't post them here if I didn't want input!

As to the specific promise, I was trying to think of something involving 350 million @@CURRENCY@@s (for obvious reasons), so perhaps that.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:20 am

350 milloon @@CURRENCY@@s, where did that number come from?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:44 am

Brexit thing, I believe.

I like this draft, and I'll try to offer some comments on it next week.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:33 am

Yes, the Brexit reference is an easy to get one for us Brits, but its notability will date rapidly even in this country, and it'll mean nothing overseas.

Maybe explain the lie/promise in the description, rather than mentioning it for the first time in the options.

The Weimar Republic
Attaché

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Weimar Republic » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:42 am

I didn't get the Brexit reference, but still thought this was very well-written.
Following new legislation in The Weimar Republic, the streets are ravaged by murder and violence to prove political points.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:29 am

This was a promising draft. Any more thoughts on it?

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:42 am

In terms of a "specific promise", I suppose an alternative to 350 million @@CURRENCY@@s would be a promise to build a wall turning into a fence with a bit of chicken-wire, though that may not be a route the editors want to go down...

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:46 am

Golgothastan wrote:In terms of a "specific promise", I suppose an alternative to 350 million @@CURRENCY@@s would be a promise to build a wall turning into a fence with a bit of chicken-wire, though that may not be a route the editors want to go down...

I'm not an editor, but haven't we already tired of Donald Trump parodies?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:40 am

Tinhampton wrote:
Golgothastan wrote:In terms of a "specific promise", I suppose an alternative to 350 million @@CURRENCY@@s would be a promise to build a wall turning into a fence with a bit of chicken-wire, though that may not be a route the editors want to go down...

I'm not an editor, but haven't we already tired of Donald Trump parodies?

We've got at least 4 more years of him, however.
See You Space Cowboy...

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:21 am

Agree, Trump has sadly remained topical.

The wall, however, is already covered within the issue base. A couple of times, I think. In fact, it predates Trump's campaign promise: a weird case of life imitating art.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:27 pm

Hello and welcome to Got Issues :) It's always nice to see a new writer :)
Generally a good premise. I like the concept of a politican lying, but have some minor criticism:

-350 million @@CURRENCY@@ is too specific a figure. The higher a nation's population, the less the amount is. In a nation of 5 million people, that kind of money is not even likely to exist, in a nation with 5 billion people, that's too few hospitals
-In such as a situation, the politician may have had every intent to keep the promise, but parliament had stopped him. Maybe have an option blaming parliment
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Golgothastan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothastan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:49 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Hello and welcome to Got Issues :) It's always nice to see a new writer :)

I'm sure it is, but...
-350 million @@CURRENCY@@ is too specific a figure. The higher a nation's population, the less the amount is. In a nation of 5 million people, that kind of money is not even likely to exist, in a nation with 5 billion people, that's too few hospitals

Given he's running for mayor of a city, not national political office, I don't see that as relevant. A city's size is not contingent on the overall size of the nation. 50% of South Koreans live in Seoul, while a city of comparable size in India or China would account for only a small percentage of the total population.
-In such as a situation, the politician may have had every intent to keep the promise

This is an issue about a politician who lied. That's very specifically the premise of the issue.
Last edited by Golgothastan on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:26 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Hello and welcome to Got Issues :) It's always nice to see a new writer :)

-_-'
See You Space Cowboy...

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?