NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Attack of the Flying Sacuers

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

[SUBMITTED] Attack of the Flying Sacuers

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:40 pm

I wanted to write an issue about plate smashing. Okay okay, you caught me, what I really wanted was to write an issue regarding my Greek Ancestry. Without further ado here it is…

I really want to keep the effect line involving waiters accidently dropping plates, so this is the best I could do. If you have any better suggestions, they would be much appreciated

Current Draft

Title:
Attack of the Flying Saucers

Description

Intentional plate smashing is a popular activity in @@NAME@@, especially amongst immigrants. However, the practice has recently been brought under scrutiny and deemed as dangerous. This follows the case of a group of people visiting a taverna, and being unaware of the plates on the ground, tripping on them and getting shards of ceramic stuck in their body, leading to hospitlaisation. The issue has somehow ended up in your office and many opinions are given to you, demanding you take action

Validity:
Only valid for nations that allow wide scale migration (if this is not a validity, the editors can fix it)

Options:

[option] "This a very dangerous practice" says @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ says slightly overweight middle aged bureaucrat, in a grumpy voice, wearing a suit and with his arms crossed holding a "NO" rubber stamp "Plate smashing should be completely banned from public places, but allowed on private property, so long as it is well regulated-I’m talking ‘bout there must be nobody under the age of 18, the owner must have plate smasher’s insurance and they must wear protective clothing. Oh, whilst we’re at, we should enforce a dress code for restaurant staff and patrons. Clumsy idiotic waiters accidentally drop plates all the time"
[effect] restaurant uniforms resemble battle armour

[option] "What's this vlaka bloody talking about!?" asks Yiannis Yiannopoulos, the son of a migrant, in a very loud and boisterous voice, drawing a cigarette and pouring another cup coffee from his briki "When my parents left the patrida on the Agios Nicolas, they came here for a better life! Not to have our culture banned by some bloody wosses! Akouse ki!"
[effect] hospitals devote entire wards to crockery related injuries

[option] "Why on earth would you ban something so therapeutic" says @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, the retired head of a not-for-profit plate smashing therapy centre, as she steals crockery from your dishwasher "Plate smashing is a very good to way to relieve stress and anger. My clients draw pictures of whatever is angering them on to the plates, grab them, and throw them onto the ground, shattering away their worries. They always leave very calm and relaxed. I say that we should make plate smashing compulsory in all dining venues across the nation! Not only would it help elevate anger, but it will also boost tourism"
[effect] restaurants often have plates featuring the face of the managers of @@NAME@@’s biggest employers

Title:
Attack of the Flying Saucers

Description
People from all over the nation are butting heads about the intentional smashing plates in tavernas, dances and at weddings. The problem, the shards of broken plates are causing injury

Validity:
Only valid for nations that allow wide scale migration (if this is not a validity, the editors can fix it)

Options:
[option] "This a very dangerous practice" says @@RANDOMMALENAME@@ says slightly overweight middle aged bureaucrat, in a grumpy voice, wearing a suit and with his arms crossed holding a "NO" rubber stamp "Plate smashing should be completely banned from public places, but allowed on private property, so long as it is well regulated-I’m talking ‘bout there must be nobody under the age of 18, the owner must have plate smasher’s insurance and they must wear protective clothing. Oh, whilst we’re at, we should enforce a dress code for restaurant staff and patrons. Clumsy idiotic waiters accidentally drop plates all the time"

[option] "What's this vlaka bloody talking about!?" asks Yiannis Yiannopoulos, the son of a migrant, in a very loud and boisterous voice, drawing a cigarette and pouring another cup coffee from his briki "When my parents left the patrida on the Agios Nicolas, they came here for a better life! Not to have our culture banned by some bloody wosses! Akouse ki!"

[option] "Why on earth would you ban something so therapeutic" says @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, the retired head of a not-for-profit plate smashing therapy centre, as she steals crockery from your dishwasher "Plate smashing is a very good to way to relieve stress and anger. My clients draw pictures of whatever is angering them on to the plates, grab them, and throw them onto the ground, shattering away their worries. They always leave very calm and relaxed. I say that we should make plate smashing compulsory in all dining venues across the nation! Not only would it help elevate anger, but it will also boost tourism"
[effect] restaurants often have plates featuring the face of the managers of @@NAME@@’s biggest employers

Title: Attack of the Flying Saucers

Decription
People, especially immigrants, all over the nation are intentionally smashing plates at weddings, dances and tarvernas. This incident has seen a wide-spread increase in hospitalisation caused by the a barre of wayward flying saucers

Validity:

Options:

Title: Attack of the Flying Saucers

People, especially immigrants, all over the nation are intentionally smashing plates at weddings, dances and tarvernas. This incident has seen a wide-spread increase in hospitalisation caused by the a barre of wayward flying saucers

Validity:

Options:

[option] "What's this vlaka bloody talking about!?" asks Yiannis Yiannopoulos, the son of a migrant, in a very loud and boisterous voice, drawing a cigarette and pouring another cup coffee from his briki "When my parents left the patrida on the Agios Nicolas, they came here for a better life! Our culture brought the world maths, science, theatre, philosophy, and even civilisation! And now you afharisti want to ban it because of some bloody wosses?! Akouse ki!"

Title:
Getting Smashed

Description:
At wedding parties, celebratory dances and just fun nights out at the taverna, fun-loving immigrants across @@NAME@@ are engaging in their favourite tradition – intentionally smashing of plates on the floor, leading to widespread plate-fragment related injuries, with the local media particularly chasing the case of an unfortunate eight-year old child walking his dog past a streetside café, whose face was cut by a flying saucer

Validity:
Only valid for nations that allow wide scale migration

Options:
[option] “This is a very dangerous practice” says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of creative solutions “Plate smashing should be completely banned from public places, but allowed on private property, so long as it is well regulated-I’m talking ‘bout there must be nobody under the age of 18, the owner must have plate smasher’s insurance and they must wear protective clothing!”
[effect] restaurant patrons and staff must wear military-grade protective gear, in case the waiter accidentally drops a plate

[option] “What’s this vlaka talking about?” asks Yiannis Yiannopolis, the son of a migrant, in a very loud and boisterous voice “When my parents came to @@NAME@@, we came here for a better life. We didn’t come here to give up our culture for some woosy vlakides who are afraid of ceramic. Plate smashing comes from the same culture that brought you maths, science, philosophy and theatre- a culture which should be encouraged!”
[effect] hospital admission forms have a “injured in plate smashing incident” box

[option] “You can’t possibly ban plate smashing” says @@RANDOMFEMALE@@, the head of a not-for-profit plate smashing therapy centre, as she steals plates from your dishwasher “Plate smashing is a very good to way to relieve stress and anger. My clients draw pictures of whatever is angering them on to the plates, grab them, and throw them onto the ground, shattering whatever is angering them. They always leave very calm and relaxed. Not to mention that plate smashing is a good way of increasing tourism!”
[effect] plate manufacturers have a new line of crockery featuring @@NAME@@’s biggest employers, exclusively for anger management centres

Title:
Plate Smashing under scrutiny

Description:
An increase in hospitalisation from weddings, dances and tavernas has been brought to your attention-the cause, plate smashing. “Unemployed People with too much times on their hands” a protest group, are now kicking down your door demanding that you ban the practice of plate smashing

Validity:

Options:
[option] “This is a very dangerous practice” says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of creative solutions “Plate smashing should be completely banned from public places, but allowed on private property, so long as it is well regulated-I’m talking ‘bout there must be nobody under the age of 18, the owner must have plate smasher’s insurance and they must wear protective clothing!”
[effect] restaurant patrons and staff must wear military-grade protective gear, in case the waiter accidently drops a plate

[option] “What’s this vlaka talking about?” asks Yiannis Yiannopolis, the son of a migrant, in a very loud and boisterous voice “When my parents came to @@NAME@@, we came here for a better life. We didn’t come here to give up our culture for some woosy vlakides who are afraid of ceramic. Plate smashing comes from the same culture that brought you maths, science, philosophy and theatre- a culture which should be encouraged!”
[effect] hospital admission forms have a “injured in plate smashing incident” box

[option] “You can’t possibly ban plate smashing” says @@RANDOMFEMALE@@, the head of a not-for-profit plate smashing therapy centre, as she steals plates from your dishwasher “Plate smashing is a very good to way to relieve stress and anger. My clients draw pictures of whatever is angering them on to the plates, grab them, and throw them onto the ground, shattering whatever is angering them. They always leave very calm and relaxed. Not to mention that plate smashing is a good way of increasing tourism!”
[effect] plate manufacturers have a new line of crockery featuring @@NAME@@’s biggest employers, exclusively for anger management centres

Title:

Description:
An increase in hospitalisation from weddings, dances and tavernas has been brought to your attention-the cause, plate smashing. “Unemployed People with too much times on their hands” a protest group, are now kicking down your door demanding that you ban the practice of plate smashing

Validity:

Options:
[option] “This is a very dangerous practice” says @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, in a very nasal voice, who looks as if he has a rod up his back side “We must put an end to this dangerous practice before more people become seriously injured in the process. I implore you @@LEADER@@ to ban the practice of smashing plates, and punish non-compliance”
[effect] when waitors drop a single plate, they are fined more than their wages

[option] “What’s this vlaka talking about?” asks Yianni Yiannopolis in a very loud and boisterous voice “If you’re too much of a vlaka to get hurt when smashing plates, you shouldn’t come to places where they smash plates, and leave the rest of us alone”

[option] “Maybe there is a compromise” says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of creative solutions “We could allow plate smashing, but only at places which aren’t night clubs, and from there, only at outdoor venues with adequate insurance, oh and we could limit alcohol served at these places, and…”
[effect] patrons must fill out 25 different forms regarding plate smashing before they can enter tavernas

[option] “You can’t possibly ban plate smashing” says @@RANDOMFEMALE@@, the head of a not-for-profit plate smashing therapy centre, as she steals plates from your dishwasher “Plate smashing is a very good to way to relieve stress and anger. My clients always leave relaxed and calmer after smashing plates, and is thus a proven form of therapy
[effect] anger management centres are directly responsible for @@NAME@@’s ban on dishwashers

Title:

Description:
The Greek Community of @@NAME@@ is under scrutiny after plate smashing at weddings, tavernas and other Greek events and locations has seen an injuries and hospital visits. There are now moves to ban plate smashing

Validity:

Options:
[option] “This is a very dangerous practice” says @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, in a very nasal voice, who looks as if he has a rod up his back side “We must put an end to this dangerous practice before more people become seriously injured in the process. I implore you @@LEADER@@ to ban the practice of smashing plates, and punish non-compliance”
[effect] when waitors drop a single plate, they are fined more than their wages

[option] “What’s this vlaka talking about?” asks Yianni Yiannopolis in a very loud and boisterous voice “If you’re too much of a vlaka to get hurt when smashing plates, you shouldn’t come to places where they smash plates, and leave the rest of us alone”

[option] “Maybe there is a compromise” says @@RANDOMNAME@@, your minister of creative solutions “We could allow plate smashing, but only at places which aren’t night clubs, and from there, only at outdoor venues with adequate insurance, oh and we could limit alcohol served at these places, and…”
[effect] patrons must fill out 25 different forms regarding plate smashing before they can enter Greek tavernas
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:01 am, edited 22 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Maljaratas
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Maljaratas » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:49 am

I'm fairly certain that fake countries are usually used in place of real ones.

Might I suggest Brancaland? It hasn't been used much, and is currently only known for its culture/multiculturalism.
"There are decades when nothing happens. There are weeks where decades happen" -Vladimir Lenin

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:11 pm

Maljaratas wrote:I'm fairly certain that fake countries are usually used in place of real ones.

Might I suggest Brancaland? It hasn't been used much, and is currently only known for its culture/multiculturalism.

I will fix that by removing country names all together. Anything else?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:11 am

Bump for second draft

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:41 am

Just seems too specific to Greek culture, in my mind.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:02 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Just seems too specific to Greek culture, in my mind.

My intent. If you think it's overdone, please make suggestions on how to fix

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:13 am

No, no, its fine.

From a statistical point of view, players tend to be much more inclined to freedom of action and anti-restriction. Government restriction tends only to be tolerated when there's a strong moral or ideological argument for restriction (pro-equality, anti-abortion, anti-corporate abuse, and so on).

This sort of issue will be hard pressed to have less than 95% of people going for option 2.

I'd suggest merge options 1 and 3 to find a restriction option that is halfway between the two. Then have two other options, both of which are active government approaches, but both pro-freedom.

So, the plate smashing therapy one is good, but lets not have any mention of banning dishwashers. I'd then add a cultural one.

So maybe, to shift the weightings

Description: Have the plate smashing be occurring at a streetside cafe, and a passing child being injured by a plate fragment.
1) You can smash plates, but you have to be reasonable about where you do so. Limiting it to indoors on private property, with proper attention to safety, etc. Also, child should get compensation.
2) Plate smashing a part of culture, everyone should join in, let's have a national plate smashing day. Also, great for the economy, think of the plate manufacturing. Could get messy, but will be fun!
3) Plate smashing is really therapeutic: you can draw pictures of the people and things you hate, then smash 'em up! Provide state-funded plate smashing as part of mental health therapies in a controlled clinical environment.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:21 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:No, no, its fine.

From a statistical point of view, players tend to be much more inclined to freedom of action and anti-restriction. Government restriction tends only to be tolerated when there's a strong moral or ideological argument for restriction (pro-equality, anti-abortion, anti-corporate abuse, and so on).

This sort of issue will be hard pressed to have less than 95% of people going for option 2.

I'd suggest merge options 1 and 3 to find a restriction option that is halfway between the two. Then have two other options, both of which are active government approaches, but both pro-freedom.

So, the plate smashing therapy one is good, but lets not have any mention of banning dishwashers. I'd then add a cultural one.

Description: Have the plate smashing be occurring at a streetside cafe, and a passing child being injured by a plate fragment.
1) You can smash plates, but you have to be reasonable about where you do so. Limiting it to indoors on private property, with proper attention to safety, etc. Also, child should get compensation.
2) Plate smashing a part of culture, everyone should join in, let's have a national plate smashing day. Also, great for the economy, think of the plate manufacturing. Could get messy, but will be fun!
3) Plate smashing is really therapeutic: you can draw pictures of the people and things you hate, then smash 'em up! Provide state-funded plate smashing as part of mental health therapies in a controlled clinical environment.

Option 2 could also boost tourism to have tourists come to @@NAME@@

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:31 am

Australian Republic wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:No, no, its fine.

Option 2 could also boost tourism to have tourists come to @@NAME@@

Exactly! By making it something pro-active rather than just a dismissal, we can make it have positive benefits beyond freedom increases. By making there TWO pro-freedom options, you split that player demographic down the middle.

Of course, also worth bearing in mind that while most players go for pro-freedom options, they also love pro-culture options. Option 2 would still likely be the most popular!

An option 3 that would be able to keep up with #2s freedom+culture would be any solution that incorporates freedom+technology, or freedom+business.

What you could do, if you want maximum split is:

3) "The problem is the plates! Materials science can now give us plates with non-sharp edges after smashing and shattering. You can do more too: plates that have harmonically optimised breakage noises, plates that release pleasing odours when they smash, and so on. Ask plate-smashers to use these, and subsidise my tech company in making these plates."

The trick here is not just to present three options, but to present three options that cover the range of bases, while making sure that players are spread more or less evenly across at least 2 of them.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:35 pm

bump for third draft

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:03 pm

The structure is now fine, and the premise acceptable. However the flow and quality of the writing as a whole needs some smoothing and sandpapering.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:51 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:The structure is now fine, and the premise acceptable. However the flow and quality of the writing as a whole needs some smoothing and sandpapering.

Suggestions?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:56 am

Mate, I can only suggest so far before I'm ghost-writing under your name. Perhaps some other writers could help you tone it up? A Humanist Science, Drasnia, Chan Island are worth telegramming, maybe.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:24 pm

Bump

The Intergalactic Universe Corporation
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Intergalactic Universe Corporation » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:07 am

I think this issue is promising, and see no other improvements needed imho
Pro: Capitalism, Nationalism, Conservatism, Trump, Thatcherism, Reagan, Pinochet, Lee Kuan Yew, Republican Party, Conservative Party, USA, UK

Anti: Liberalism, Socialism, Communism, Mao, Marx, Hillary, Democratic Party, EU, DPRK, USSR
Class D4 Nation according to The Civilization Index
I'm a Proud Member of the DEUN! Are you?
I'm a proud member of LMTU. Are you?
Liberal Democrats: The Party of Common Sense! in the NSG Senate!

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support capitalism, put this in your signature.

OOC: I do not use NS Stats.
HoloNet News: Congress To Meet Next Monday | Public Sector Sees Slower Wage Growth In 2036 | Public Debt Expected To Reduce Again | Consumer Spending Up For Chinese New Year Season

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:25 am

The Intergalactic Universe Corporation wrote:I think this issue is promising, and see no other improvements needed imho

Really, no.

Couldn't get any other writers to look it over, Aussie?

Ok, I'll do a line by line later this morning.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:43 am

Title:

I mean, really? We're smashing plates here, there's puns in abundance. An apundance.

So, we got options:

Getting Smashed
A Smashing Time
On The Plate
Broken Marriage (would need a slight narrative shift towards wedding parties)
Shattered Lives (would need a slight narrative shift towards people permanently injured by the plates)

I like "Getting Smashed", for its double meaning, but its up to you.

Description:
An increase in hospitalisation from weddings, dances and tavernas has been brought to your attention-the cause, plate smashing.
“Unemployed People with too much times on their hands” a protest group, are now kicking down your door demanding that you ban the practice of plate smashing

- Wedding, dance and taverna are all nouns, but the flow here is off as they are nouns of different categories: an event, an activity and a place. Tighten it by moving the list into one category.
- The shape and structure of the sentence is a mess. Make it more conventional, add a little sense of rhythm and rhyme to it.
- That protest group name is terrible, as its neither an amusing acronym nor something people would call themselves,
- "Kicking down your door" is a tired cliche.
- "Demanding that you ban" is even worse.

My rewrite would be something like:

Whether at wedding parties, celebratory dances and just fun nights out at the taverna, fun-loving immigrants are engaging in their favourite tradition - the smashing of plates on the floor. A spate of plate-fragment related injuries have followed, with the local press particularly horrified by the case of an eight-year old boy who was walking his dog past a streetside café, and whose face was cut by flying shrapnel from carelessly-shattered crockery.

So that's be the framing premise. You see the difference there, I hope? Limited alliteration and internal rhymes some of the time, that makes the words prettier. Setting the scene in a structured and logical order helps clarity of information.

We can come back to the rest later. but try rewriting the @desc, in your own words and with your own scenario, but in good English and with an eye to having something that hits the three targets of being:
1) aesthetically pleasing to read
2) informative and descriptive in setting the scene.
3) neither too long or too short
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Intergalactic Universe Corporation » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:46 am

I see.
Pro: Capitalism, Nationalism, Conservatism, Trump, Thatcherism, Reagan, Pinochet, Lee Kuan Yew, Republican Party, Conservative Party, USA, UK

Anti: Liberalism, Socialism, Communism, Mao, Marx, Hillary, Democratic Party, EU, DPRK, USSR

_[' ]_

HoloNet News: Congress To Meet Next Monday | Public Sector Sees Slower Wage Growth In 2036 | Public Debt Expected To Reduce Again | Consumer Spending Up For Chinese New Year Season

Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Intergalactic Universe Corporation » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:48 am

I think A Smashing Time seems to be better because it relates more closely to smashing plates for fun.

_[' ]_

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:53 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
The Intergalactic Universe Corporation wrote:I think this issue is promising, and see no other improvements needed imho

Really, no.

I'm on Trott's ignore list and don't want to bother Chan Islands, fearing he'll be the next to add me

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:56 am

Title:

I mean, really? We're smashing plates here, there's puns in abundance. An apundance.

So, we got options:

Getting Smashed
A Smashing Time
On The Plate
Broken Marriage (would need a slight narrative shift towards wedding parties)
Shattered Lives (would need a slight narrative shift towards people permanently injured by the plates)

I like "Getting Smashed", for its double meaning, but its up to you.

Description:
An increase in hospitalisation from weddings, dances and tavernas has been brought to your attention-the cause, plate smashing.
“Unemployed People with too much times on their hands” a protest group, are now kicking down your door demanding that you ban the practice of plate smashing

- Wedding, dance and taverna are all nouns, but the flow here is off as they are nouns of different categories: an event, an activity and a place. Tighten it by moving the list into one category.
- The shape and structure of the sentence is a mess. Make it more conventional, add a little sense of rhythm and rhyme to it.
- That protest group name is terrible, as its neither an amusing acronym nor something people would call themselves,
- "Kicking down your door" is a tired cliche.
- "Demanding that you ban" is even worse.

My rewrite would be something like:

Whether at wedding parties, celebratory dances and just fun nights out at the taverna, fun-loving immigrants are engaging in their favourite tradition - the smashing of plates on the floor. A spate of plate-fragment related injuries have followed, with the local press particularly horrified by the case of an eight-year old boy who was walking his dog past a streetside café, and whose face was cut by flying shrapnel from carelessly-shattered crockery.

So that's be the framing premise. You see the difference there, I hope? Limited alliteration and internal rhymes some of the time, that makes the words prettier. Setting the scene in a structured and logical order helps clarity of information.

We can come back to the rest later. but try rewriting the @desc, in your own words and with your own scenario, but in good English and with an eye to having something that hits the three targets of being:
1) aesthetically pleasing to read
2) informative and descriptive in setting the scene.
3) neither too long or too short

Thanks!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:58 am

Australian Republic wrote:
Really, no.

I'm on Trott's ignore list and don't want to bother Chan Islands, fearing he'll be the next to add me

Haha, I'm probably not Trott's favourite person either. I've never known Chan Islands to decline to help any writer though. Nor A Humanist Science or Drasnia. Like yourself, they're all fellow published authors, with different strengths and weaknesses.

To be honest, they're all better writers than you in terms of structure and language quality, but what you have personally is perhaps one of the best imaginations, one of the funniest senses of humour and an excellent flow of ideas. That's why a collaborative effort is always going to be best, getting the best out of everyone in the community, and creating awesomeness.

Even our mutual friend Trott has great strengths - an eye for detail that is far better than my own, and an analytical mind that is great at deduction.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:03 am

Next draft up

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:56 am

For the record, I'm in the middle of midterms with school which has been eating into my free time significantly. I was planning on getting to this over the weekend, so I'll see what I can say about the new draft.
See You Space Cowboy...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:04 pm

Drasnia wrote:For the record, I'm in the middle of midterms with school which has been eating into my free time significantly. I was planning on getting to this over the weekend, so I'll see what I can say about the new draft.

Never blammed you. Already telegramed you

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?