NATION

PASSWORD

Do you think Raid and Attack are same thing?

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Raider and Attacker asame thing or diffirent?

Same
50%
Diffirent
50%

Total votes : 6

South-East Antarctica
Attaché

Founded: Jun 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Do you think Raid and Attack are same thing?

Postby South-East Antarctica » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:35 am

Probably most of NS players always call attackers and raiders as one thing, but they aren't the same. This thread has goal to discuss matters of what we call attacker, and what raiders.

Raiders
Raiders, probably the biggest plague the NS world seen, who they actually are? According to Wikipedia raid is a:

''... military tactic or operational warfare mission which has a specific purpose and is not normally intended to capture and hold terrain, but instead finish with the raiding force quickly retreating to a previous defended position prior to enemy forces being able to respond in a co-ordinated manner or formulate a counter-attack ...''

Wikipedia was saying about what we call here on NS tag raids. For new persons, tag raid is attack on region to seize a delegacy, set own WFE, set own flag, close current embassies, open own embassies etc. when attackers leave the region and have no intention to hold it. Usually, after tag raid founder or defenders who text called enemy forces fix partially or full things that raiders did.

I don't personally know why most persons here call raiders and attackers the same thing. And I don't know why they call actual attacks occupation raids or simply raids, while only actual raids here are tag ones. So what things people call raids are?

Attackers

Attack, attack... On NS frequently mistaken with raid, as mentioned. This time, according to Wikipedia attack (offensive) is a:

''... military operation that seeks through aggressive projection of armed force to occupy territory, gain an objective or achieve some larger strategic, operational or tactical goal ...''

If you still don't see diffirence between raid and attack, I don't know what. Attack is basicly tag raid, or partial tag raid with intention to hold the region and stay with it.
It's frequently used in for standard for NS purposes like holding region like a trophy, installing puppet govenment, or using occupation as victory argument in peace negociations.

For defenders, attacks are harder to ''cure'' because of obvious reasons. Other terms describing attack are ''invasion'' or ''offensive''.

Thread inspired by Black Hawks calling attack and occupation of Heroes Rise as ''raid''.

And what you think, in your opinion raids are same to attacks, or they're something diffirent. Do you think if someone would be making ''The Ultimate NS Dictionary'' he should make attack and raid two other things?
Last edited by South-East Antarctica on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Scardino
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 23, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Scardino » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:44 am

In invader circles, there is some discussion of a distinction between what is a raid and what is an invasion, with the obvious extension being a discussion on what is what constitutes being an invader and what constitutes being an invader.

My personal opinion is that a raiding is a subset of invading.

While "attacker" is not a term I have heard, it might be a good one for moral elites to start using as it could describe anyone who violates another region's sovereignty and the term seems to have a more negative connotation than the now bleached "raider" and "invader" titles.
Scardino
Alpha Emeritus - LWU

Cormactopia II - God damn it Scardino
Drachen - god damnit scar
Syberis - Dammit Scar
Mall - fok u scar
Anerastreia - Scar so racist
Liliarchy - you evil evil man
Xoriet - You're adorable, Scar
Altino - Scar, I think I love you
Lamb Stone - Scardino knows I <3 him.
Severisen - Scar is the Rod Stewart of raiding
Roavin - Scardino has a sexy voice.
Biyah - so, I dearly love Scardino, he rocks my nuts
Lost - you're hulk mixed with tony stark
Cain - Scar restrains himself quite significantly on NS and is still known far and wide for his antics.
Biyah - God help us from Fedele bringing back the old ways. The current level of inept is just fine, thanks

South-East Antarctica
Attaché

Founded: Jun 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby South-East Antarctica » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:47 am

Scardino wrote:In invader circles, there is some discussion of a distinction between what is a raid and what is an invasion, with the obvious extension being a discussion on what is what constitutes being an invader and what constitutes being an invader.

My personal opinion is that a raiding is a subset of invading.

While "attacker" is not a term I have heard, it might be a good one for moral elites to start using as it could describe anyone who violates another region's sovereignty and the term seems to have a more negative connotation than the now bleached "raider" and "invader" titles.

Yup, as I mentioned other name for attack is invasion.

I agree with your personal opinion, IRL raiding is too subset of invading.

Scardino
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Scardino » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:58 am

There's a lot of gray area between what is considered a raid and what is more broadly considered an invasion. As I said before, I have not heard "attack" used regularly to describe invasions in a general sense. That said, a raid is usually a quick operation that involves rushing in at update and staying for a short occupation. An invasion can include that or any time a region's sovereignty is being compromised, particularly as a means to usurping the delegacy.

Your "IRL" definitions are irrelevant.
Scardino
Alpha Emeritus - LWU

Syberis - Dammit Scar
Mall - fok u scar
Cain - Scar restrains himself quite significantly on NS and is still known far and wide for his antics.
Biyah - God help us from Fedele bringing back the old ways. The current level of inept is just fine, thanks

Panzer Vier
Attaché

Founded: Jan 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzer Vier » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:23 am

Scardino wrote:Your "IRL" definitions are irrelevant.

More or less this. It's important to remember that the terms used within NS are within the context of NS. Trying to subject it to IRL standards is largely pointless.

Not to mention that 'attack' is very much a term that remains more or less unused here
~Derps Vytherov~
I mess with code on occasion, so check this out, kthx!

Want to know something about r/d? Just ask! ^^

General Knot
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby General Knot » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 am

Many of the newer organizations, invader or defender, call all operations "raids". I distinguish an occupation as an invasion and a drive-by as a raid.

When describing people and organizations, I usually use "invader", but sometimes substitute it with "raider" as a synonym because having "The Invaders" and "the invaders" in every sentence gets old quickly.

Over a decade ago, General Powell categorized "invaders" as those who grief, while "raider" are those who do not.

There is also some speculation that "raider" became common to distinguish from the great organization "Invaders".
Last edited by General Knot on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
General of the DEN
History will record the DEN as the most notorious, well-organized, and well-disciplined raider army ever to grace the battlefield.

Former Delegate of The West Pacific
World Assembly Resolution Author x4

Dream Killers
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dream Killers » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:15 am

South-East Antarctica wrote:This thread has goal to discuss matters of what we call attacker, and what raiders.

For what real purpose though? Why differentiate? What does anyone have to really gain from this narrative?

South-East Antarctica wrote:Raiders, probably the biggest plague the NS world seen

I don't know about that honestly. We are playing the game just like you. Calling Raiderdom a plague seems a tad excessive especially when you look at the after-math we are directly responsible for - both good and bad - within various communities in NationStates. We spur things to happen and in some cases force individuals who never would have met otherwise to work together for common goals. Defenderdom(?) is completely in response to us. You could argue that without this "plague" everything derived from Defender-based organizations would arguably be non-existent.

As Scardino has said in the past, "[...] because the pot needs stirring".

South-East Antarctica wrote:Wikipedia was saying about what we call here tag raids. For new persons, tag raid is attack on region to seize a delegacy, set own WFE, set own flag, close current embassies, open own embassies etc. when attackers leave the region and have no intention to hold it. Usually, after tag raid founder or defenders who text called enemy forces fix partially or full things that raiders did.

The section of the Wikipedia article that you quoted also accurately describes traditional raids as well since we know that in many cases holding these regions are in vain either because of the Founder waking up or Defender as well as Native involvement in liberating the region. All parties involved know this to be the case from the start.

You need to address the difference between traditional raids and re-found operations.

South-East Antarctica wrote:I don't personally know why most persons here call raiders and attackers the same thing. And I don't know why they call actual attacks occupation raids or simply raids, while only actual raids here are tag ones. So what things people call raids are?

As I understand it, cascades - or tag raids, as so many call them now, are just hit and runs. Traditional raids are hitting the region with the intention of temporarily holding it -- hopefully -- having some fun with our Defender counterparts in the process. Occupations are raids that serve other purposes than just hitting the region for fun, usually something politically or ideologically motivated. I would argue however that "occupation" would imply it being temporary as well, which is how it differs from a re-found operation. Re-found operations are where we literally destroy the region with the sole purpose of claiming it. It should be noted that I personally dislike these as it takes away from the greater target pool we have to work with, ties up resources, and has the potential to cause drama.

In my experience when Raiders call something a "Raid" we are referring to Traditional Raids as described above.

South-East Antarctica wrote:If you still don't see diffirence between raid and attack, I don't know what.

There are different kinds of raids, sure - and we generally label them in a way to differentiate between them. You have what is true in real life and what is relevant in game. Sometimes things bleed into game from the real World - but this is not one of those cases.

South-East Antarctica wrote:For defenders, attacks are harder to ''cure'' because of obvious reasons.

I don't know how much experience you had Raiding before you switched to being a Defender, but I remember you telling me that you were not a member of any "mainstream" organizations. You switched over to ORCA and were with them for a time it seems, but again, that is not considered a mainstream Defender organization. You had said on Discord that you may potentially sign up to join the LLA, which is. Maybe running some ops with them will help you better understand the concepts behind what others and I have been bringing up here.

South-East Antarctica wrote:Other terms describing attack are ''invasion'' or ''offensive''.

Invasion, yes, "offensive" usually implies that we are engaging a hostile force in response to something. You could perhaps say that occupations can be seen as an "offensive" in certain situations but tag raids and traditional raids? Case by case basis on the latter at best.

South-East Antarctica wrote:Thread inspired by Black Hawks calling attack and occupation of Heroes Rise as ''raid''.

As someone who has been involved in this operation since the night it started, I can attest to this being just a raid. We did not go in with the intention of hanging around this long nor did we go into re-found. I cannot speak for EWS or TBHs in general, but that is what I believe. As time went on we got curious as to how ORCA would respond, since we saw the numbers that they could theoretically deploy and with how active Ac1dtopia was along with other members of the various communities involved within that organization - it seemed as though they would honestly make a move. We wanted nothing more than to see this happen. This was not the case though as the lack of a real response from both mainstream groups* (it should be noted that school hits everyone below the belt, though) coupled with the leaked plans of ORCA command, which essentially called for cutting their losses and abandoning it (well before Ac1d left the region for South Pacific) gave me reason to believe that Heroes Rise will never actually live up to it's name. The people in a position to protect it do not seem to care enough, the natives have given up, and outside a single Warden backed liberation attempt, no true action has been made.

I honestly feel bad for the natives there and for every member within ORCA too. I don't know how long I would want to be part of something that consistently and maliciously lies to you while infringing on your regional sovereignty.

South-East Antarctica wrote:Do you think if someone would be making ''The Ultimate NS Dictionary'' he should make attack and raid two other things?

I would have to search these forums a bit but I would be surprised if someone has not already made community resources such as this in the past. As for the actual question - no. It should strictly remain relevant to the game and how players actually use said terminology.
Last edited by Dream Killers on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Aeneas "Cain" Rahl
The East Pacific - "Let entropy claim the user-founded regions; we however, will still be here."
“With stout hearts, and with enthusiasm for the contest, let us go forward to victory.”
"An army of principles can penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot."
"Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions."
"Pacifism will remain an ideal, war a fact."
"NationStates is for roleplaying only."

Scardino
Spokesperson

Father Knows Best State

Postby Scardino » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:40 am

General Knot wrote:Over a decade ago, General Powell categorized "invaders" as those who grief, while "raider" are those who do not.

While not having heard that said means little, I don't recall this distinction being common. I do recall "pirate" being used for people who griefed regions until The Jolly Roger had their flash in the pan. I also recall "crasher" being a common term for griefers, though this was usually pretty ambiguous with many mainstream raiders being called "crashers" all the same.
Scardino
Alpha Emeritus - LWU

Syberis - Dammit Scar
Mall - fok u scar

Queen Yuno
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Queen Yuno » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:49 pm

Personally, I'd call everything involving stealing the delegacy a raid :o
Stop giving misogynistic abusers a platform. Anyone who sides with Tiktok Star Andrew Tate even 1% of what he says will be treated as enemy who should be shamed out of society. Impressions+Views+Videowatches=$. Nothing he says is new or revolutionary. I don't care if he said "some good stuff", it's still bad because: the more you watch him, the more ad revenue MONEY and algorithm BOOSTS you're giving him to traffick victims. And don't say the victim lied, a young man stupidly told me that the victim confessed to lying, I told em to link me proof, articles or the Audio of her confession, he googled and found 0 proof 0 articles, and he realized he was spreading fake rumors he heard and BELIEVED without fact-check. Don't brand victims as liars without GOOGLING. Debated here

General Knot
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby General Knot » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:43 pm

Scardino wrote:
General Knot wrote:Over a decade ago, General Powell categorized "invaders" as those who grief, while "raider" are those who do not.

While not having heard that said means little, I don't recall this distinction being common.

I don't think it was. Just a personal preference that was also shared by those close to him.
General of the DEN
History will record the DEN as the most notorious, well-organized, and well-disciplined raider army ever to grace the battlefield.

Former Delegate of The West Pacific
World Assembly Resolution Author x4

Black Mekhet
Attaché

Founded: Jan 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Black Mekhet » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:53 pm

In NS; Raider, Invader, Crasher, Griefer (Not admin/mod definition) are synonymous in a general sense. Some may treat each name with separate nuances, but in context of gameplay implications they more or less do the same thing. Given definitions of those words are more in kin; than say "Protector", " Saviour", "Defender", etc.

It's really irrelevant to be honest.

MEKEDIT: ugh, stupid phone typos
Last edited by Black Mekhet on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mekhet of The Black Hawks.

I only represent Mek.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay