NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Ocean's Nine (Dash)

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Shyubi Koku Naishifun
Envoy

Founded: May 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Ocean's Nine (Dash)

Postby Shyubi Koku Naishifun » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:17 am

Name: Ocean's Nine (Dash)

Description: You had a drink last night and hence you forgot that you claimed for @@NAME@@ some bunch of seas below your nation's borders for, you know, like glory and stuff. We are confident that only some fish and whales are going to bother with it anyway, but in a recent meeting with your closest officials you realized you had a lot of international trouble on your hands.

Validity: I'm thinking this should only be valid for sufficiently big nations to imply RL PRC, such as nations with over 500 or 1 billion people.

Options:

[option]Your Minister of Defense, @@RANDOMNAME@@, adamantly declares: "The clay of, I mean the waters of @@NAME@@ rightfully belongs to @@NAME@@". It has been proven by our archaeologists and scholars, and other smart people from @@CAPITAL@@ National University that our ancestors and fishermen from like 2000 years ago had been fishing on this sea and if that's not enough, we have old and dusty maps from our ancestors to prove our point! And while we're on it, let's build some islands too there!"
[effect]An old map left by a wealthy family revealed that @@NAME@@ actually owns the Moon
[stats]Authoritarianism increases, charmlessness increases, compassion decreases, defense forces slightly increases, eco-friendliness decreases, environmental beauty slightly decreases, foreign aid slightly decreases, ideological radicality slightly increases, industry: arms manufacturing slightly increases, industry: trout fishing significantly increases, niceness decreases, pacifism decreases, rudeness increases

[option]The Ambassador of Liliputia, @@RANDOMNAME@@ disagrees "You can't do that, you know. The sea and the islands does not belong to you! It violates international law and the seas you claimed overlaps with our exclusive economic something zones! Last Friday night, @@NAME@@'s navy ship even threw a fire cannon to our fishermen and drove them away! A fire cannon! If you're not going to retract this claim we're suing you on the international courts!"
[effect]@@NAME@@ cedes plots of land when other nations ask
[stats]Authoritarianism decreases, charmlessness decreases, compassion increases, defense forces slightly decreases, eco-friendliness increases, environmental beauty slightly increases, foreign aid slightly increases, ideological radicality slightly increases, industry: arms manufacturing slightly decreases, industry: trout fishing significantly decreases. niceness increases, pacifism increases, rudeness decreases

[option]One of your advisors tells to you: "You know you should not see this in a black and white situation. Why not cede some of the useless and worthless maritime areas to appease them and keep the resource-rich valuable plots to our own? And then in exchange in ceding some of the territory, strike a joint oil exploration deal with them, and they let us access in to their @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ markets. Their government can be easily bribed anyway, it's a win-win situation."
[effect]@@NAME@@ hands out plots of land in exchange for license contracts
[stats]Economy increases, authoritarianism slightly increases, average income slightly increases, average income of poor and rich slightly increases, compassion slightly decreases, corruption slightly increases, eco-friendliness decreases, economic output increases, employment slightly decreases, foreign aid significantly increases, ideological radicality slightly increases, all industries except for mining slight increase, industry: mining significantly increases, integrity slightly decreases, niceness slightly decreases, pacifism slightly increases, sector: manufacturing slightly increases

[option]A group of fringe protesters come and one of them exclaims "What, bribe? What, we're bribing and infiltrating other governments now! FOR TOO LONG @@NAME@@ HAD BECOME IMPERIALIST AND MEDDLED IN THE AFFAIRS OF OTHER NATIONS!! THIS VIOLETIST GOVERNMENT HAD FOR TOO LONG ABUSED AND INVADED MANY FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE VIOLETIST ELITE! This seas claim stuff is another part of that, give it to other people and know you cannot grab the lands of other people! Just like how @@LEADER@@ made the 7/11 a part time job as excuse to invade for unobtanium!"
[stats]@@NAME@@ abandons all territorial claims and foreign bases
[effect] Civil rights slightly increases, political freedom slightly increases, authoritarianism decreases significantly, charmlessness decreases, compassion increases, corruption decreases, defense forces significantly decreases, foreign aid significantly increases, government size significantly decreases, ideological radicality significantly increases, ignorance increases, industry: arms manufacturing significantly decreases, integrity increases, intelligence decreases, law enforcement significantly decreases, niceness increases, pacifism significantly increases

[option]"Traitor, back off!", a voice is heard from a crowd of crazy peoples sporting awkward symbols. Among them, a voice is heard proclaiming: "Liliputia will pay! Our @@NAME@@ has the right to get many lands for Lebens...., I mean, living space like you know, for the children, think of the children's needs! Anyway, we've got to invade the lower race there claiming the sea and before they know it, OUR WORDS ARE BACKED UP BY NUCLEAR WEAPONS!!! Uh, or some many other regular weapons. Anyway, never shall @@NAME@@ descend into shame again!!!"
[stats]@@NAME@@ is planning to make all its neighbours vassal states
[effect] Authoritarianism increases, charmlessness significantly increases, compassion decreases, defense forces significantly increases, foreign aid decreases, ideological radicality significantly increases, ignorance increases, industry: arms manufacturing significantly increases, intelligence decreases, niceness decreases, pacifism decreases significantly, rudeness increases, tourism decreases

Description: You agreed with the policy-makers of your government to reaffirm your nation's historic rights on a big chunk of maritime territory in the south of your nation's map. Discovered deposits of oil and gas also show promise for your nation's economy if your nation is able to possess the area. However, the move caused international dispute and your government hence decides which path to choose.

Validity: Valid only for nations with at least 250 million and not valid for nations with high levels of eco-friendliness.

Options:

[option]In the conference, the Minister of Defense, @@RANDOMNAME@@, adamantly declares: "The clay, I mean the territories of @@NAME@@ rightfully belongs to the territories of @@NAME@@". It has been proven by our archaeologists and scholars that our ancestors and fishermen from like 2000 years ago had been fishing on this sea and if that's not enough, we have old and dusty maps from our ancestors to prove our point! Think of the economic growth from the oil and gas deposits and the fisheries! And while we're on it, let's build some islands too there and remind Bigtopia and Maxtopia also of their "stolen lands""
[effect]A will left by a deceased noble revealed of @@NAME@@'s historic claim to Pluto
[stats]Authoritarianism increases, charmlessness increases, compassion decreases, defense forces slightly increases, eco-friendliness decreases, environmental beauty slightly decreases, foreign aid slightly decreases, ideological radicality slightly increases, industry: arms manufacturing slightly increases, industry: trout fishing significantly increases, niceness decreases, pacifism decreases, rudeness increases

[option]The Ambassador of Liliputia, @@RANDOMNAME@@ disagrees "You can't do that, you know. The sea and the islands does not belong to you! It violates international law and the seas you claimed overlaps with our exclusive economic something zones! Last Friday night, @@NAME@@'s navy ship even threw a fire cannon to our fishermen and drove them away! A fire cannon! If you're not going to retract this claim we're suing you on the international courts!"
[effect]@@NAME@@ cedes territories for fear of a lawsuit
[stats]Authoritarianism decreases, charmlessness decreases, compassion increases, defense forces slightly decreases, eco-friendliness increases, environmental beauty slightly increases, foreign aid slightly increases, ideological radicality slightly increases, industry: arms manufacturing slightly decreases, industry: trout fishing significantly decreases. niceness increases, pacifism increases, rudeness decreases

[option]One of your advisors tells to you: "You know you should not see this in a black and white situation. Why not cede some of the useless and worthless maritime areas to appease them and keep the resource-rich valuable zones to our own? And then in exchange in ceding some of the territory, strike a joint oil exploration deal with them, and they let us access in to their @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ markets. Their government can be easily bribed anyway, it's a win-win situation."
[effect]Territories are ceded in exchange for licenses to sell stuffed toys and smartphones
[stats]Economy increases, authoritarianism slightly increases, average income slightly increases, average income of poor and rich slightly increases, compassion slightly decreases, corruption slightly increases, eco-friendliness decreases, economic output increases, employment slightly decreases, foreign aid significantly increases, ideological radicality slightly increases, all industries except for mining slight increase, industry: mining significantly increases, integrity slightly decreases, niceness slightly decreases, pacifism slightly increases, sector: manufacturing slightly increases

[option]The security is wondering how this guy was able to go to the conference. A man who you saw in a Whotube video shouts: "What, bribe? What, we're bribing and infiltrating other governments now! FOR TOO LONG @@NAME@@ HAD BECOME IMPERIALIST AND MEDDLED IN THE AFFAIRS OF OTHER NATIONS!! THIS VIOLETIST GOVERNMENT HAD FOR TOO LONG ABUSED AND INVADED MANY FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE VIOLETIST ELITE! This seas claim stuff is another part of that, give it to other people and know you cannot grab the domain of other peoples! Just like how @@LEADER@@ made the 7/11 a part time job as excuse to invade for unobtanium!"
[stats]All overseas bases are reconverted to zombie paintball and laser tag courses
[effect] Civil rights slightly increases, political freedom slightly increases, authoritarianism decreases significantly, charmlessness decreases, compassion increases, corruption decreases, defense forces significantly decreases, foreign aid significantly increases, government size significantly decreases, ideological radicality significantly increases, ignorance increases, industry: arms manufacturing significantly decreases, integrity increases, intelligence decreases, law enforcement significantly decreases, niceness increases, pacifism significantly increases

[option]"Traitor, back off!", a voice is heard from a crowd of crazy peoples sporting awkward symbols who are also uninvited. Among them, a voice is heard proclaiming: "Liliputia will pay! Our @@NAME@@ has the right to get territory for Lebens...., I mean, living space like you know, for the children, think of the children's needs! Anyway, we've got to invade the lower race there claiming the sea and before they know it, OUR WORDS ARE BACKED UP BY NUCLEAR WEAPONS!!! Uh, or some many other regular weapons. Anyway, never shall @@NAME@@ descend into shame again!!!"
[stats]@@LEADER@@ has declared that @@NAME@@ is the "Master Race"
[effect] Authoritarianism increases, charmlessness significantly increases, compassion decreases, defense forces significantly increases, foreign aid decreases, ideological radicality significantly increases, ignorance increases, industry: arms manufacturing significantly increases, intelligence decreases, niceness decreases, pacifism decreases significantly, rudeness increases, tourism decreases

Newer Polished Draft
Last edited by Shyubi Koku Naishifun on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 17 times in total.
I don't list pros and cons, they are so nebulous....
"The extermination of millions of unborn children, in the name of the fight against poverty, actually constitutes the destruction of the poorest of all human beings." - Pope Benedict XVI
Shyubi Koku Naishufun Random Video Thing!!!!~~~

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:06 pm

Shyubi Koku Naishifun wrote:the waters of @@NAME@@ rightfully belongs to the, waters of @@NAME@@
What?

Shyubi Koku Naishifun wrote:[option]The Ambassador of Brazilistan
It's spelled Brasilistan, but use a different nation. It's possible for the player to have conquered Brasilistan.

Shyubi Koku Naishifun wrote:It violates the international law of the World Assembly
Shyubi Koku Naishifun wrote:we're suing you on the World Assembly
The World Assembly is player-controlled, so it should avoid being mentioned in issues, at least when it comes to specific policies.

Shyubi Koku Naishifun
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shyubi Koku Naishifun » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:24 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Shyubi Koku Naishifun wrote:the waters of @@NAME@@ rightfully belongs to the, waters of @@NAME@@
What?

Thanks for pointing this out. Edited.

Trotterdam wrote:
Shyubi Koku Naishifun wrote:[option]The Ambassador of Brazilistan
It's spelled Brasilistan, but use a different nation. It's possible for the player to have conquered Brasilistan.

Edited. Replaced the name.

Trotterdam wrote:
Shyubi Koku Naishifun wrote:It violates the international law of the World Assembly
Shyubi Koku Naishifun wrote:we're suing you on the World Assembly
The World Assembly is player-controlled, so it should avoid being mentioned in issues, at least when it comes to specific policies.

I'm going to consider your feedback for the benefit of the doubt but to be honest I'm not fully convinced by your explanation. I've seen multiple issues involving the player's nation's region even when they are player-controlled, can you kindly explain why?
"The extermination of millions of unborn children, in the name of the fight against poverty, actually constitutes the destruction of the poorest of all human beings." - Pope Benedict XVI

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:57 am

Shyubi Koku Naishifun wrote:Validity: I'm thinking this should only be valid for sufficiently big nations to imply RL PRC,

Ummm...yea...how about no?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Shyubi Koku Naishifun
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shyubi Koku Naishifun » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:28 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Shyubi Koku Naishifun wrote:Validity: I'm thinking this should only be valid for sufficiently big nations to imply RL PRC,

Ummm...yea...how about no?

Do you think this should be valid for nations regardless of size and population? Actually you have a point, in RL territorial claims are not limited to large nations and most nations even small had maritime and land border disputes but the difference is that only a sufficiently big nation can claim such a large maritime area.

This issue is actually inspired by PRC's Nine Dash claim in South China Sea.

Katalaysia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Katalaysia » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Honestly, I think it would be good to have it rely on population, because if your nation's small, no-one's going to particularly care that you drunkenly claimed land.

Though I also think it should rely on environment being reasonable, because who's going to want to claim a mess of an ocean?
Uses Nationstates Stats, except for population. Assume around 100,000-120,000 people.
Slight PMT. Uses forcefields and slightly more advanced robots, but otherwise MT.
Please inform me if I make any mistakes! I'm quite new to this, and don't really follow politics otherwise, so any help is appreciated!
Author of "Shh, Spoilers!" and "Plug In and Play"

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Shyubi Koku Naishifun wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Ummm...yea...how about no?

Do you think this should be valid for nations regardless of size and population? Actually you have a point, in RL territorial claims are not limited to large nations and most nations even small had maritime and land border disputes but the difference is that only a sufficiently big nation can claim such a large maritime area.

This issue is actually inspired by PRC's Nine Dash claim in South China Sea.

Issues shpuld be inpired by real life events, but adapted to suit many nations, not just those which resemble the real life nation it happened in
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:31 pm

We have a few minor tweaks here.
1. Why does this water that you're causing a dispute? If New Zealand, for example, were to claim new stretchof water, who would care?
2. In most nations, laws would not get that far. Assuming that a drunk politician were able to sign his/her name without making a big mess of it, and he/she is allowed to make laws whilst drunk, it still has to pass through and get approved by parliment. If it was going to cause that much of an international dispute, parliment aren't likely to pass it
3. Why the assumption that @@NAME@@ is in the WA and cares about their laws?
4. Option 4- What land? I thought you were claiming water

Shyubi Koku Naishifun
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shyubi Koku Naishifun » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:03 am

Katalaysia wrote:Honestly, I think it would be good to have it rely on population, because if your nation's small, no-one's going to particularly care that you drunkenly claimed land.

Though I also think it should rely on environment being reasonable, because who's going to want to claim a mess of an ocean?

Thanks for pointing this out. I agree with this since first, an environmentally-minded and an ecologically-sustainable government would not do such action in the first place.

How do we measure it? Make the issue invalid for nations with high levels of eco-friendliness and environmental beauty?

Australian Republic wrote:Issues shpuld be inpired by real life events, but adapted to suit many nations, not just those which resemble the real life nation it happened in

I agree with this but with all due respect I believe I have seen issues that are too American-centric, such as an issue with is obviously a reference to the Black Lives Matter movement.

And if we take the concept too broadly and literally, most issues honestly would not fit since most NS issues I believe are based on the issues of RL America and European nations but is inevitable considering NS's demographic.

Shyubi Koku Naishifun
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shyubi Koku Naishifun » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:16 am

Australian Republic wrote:We have a few minor tweaks here.
1. Why does this water that you're causing a dispute? If New Zealand, for example, were to claim new stretchof water, who would care?

But if the waters you are claiming are resource-rich, happens to be on international shipping routes and overlaps with the maritime boundaries of some nations, everyone would care. In RL for example, PRC's claiming of the whole South China Sea as part of the Nine-Dash Lines caused an international controversy because several ASEAN nations were affected and it does not help that the area claimed sits on deposits of oil and gas along with maritime shipping lines.

This is also is a good discussion point on making the issue valid only on big populations, since people tend to care more about big nations than small nations RL.

If I had not made such premise clear in the issue and please clear me on it, I am going to rewrite it.

Australian Republic wrote:2. In most nations, laws would not get that far. Assuming that a drunk politician were able to sign his/her name without making a big mess of it, and he/she is allowed to make laws whilst drunk, it still has to pass through and get approved by parliment. If it was going to cause that much of an international dispute, parliment aren't likely to pass it

I made it for comedic value but if it is too unrealistic, I will rewrite the opening premise of the issue to something more reasonable. Also, not all nations have parliaments and reasonable checks and balances on the ruling leader or entity.

Maybe make this issue only valid for nations with low political freedom and high authoritarianism, though it just sounds too wrong I believe.

Australian Republic wrote:3. Why the assumption that @@NAME@@ is in the WA and cares about their laws?

I believe that nowhere in the issue it states @@NAME@@ is in the WA and cares about international law. The person in Option 2 is just making an argument to care about international law which you will do if you choose it.

Option 1 is basically to ignore the WA and international law, Option 2 is to do the opposite, 3 is a compromise, and 4 and 5 are extreme versions of 2 and 1. If I am wrong and it is in the issue, kindly point it to me.

Australian Republic wrote:4. Option 4- What land? I thought you were claiming water

Thanks for pointing this out to me, though what I wanted to imply here is that this issue will make a precedent on how the player's nation will deal with future territorial disputes.

I should edit out the word "land" to be more clearer and maybe an issue on general territorial disputes is better than this too China-centric one?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:02 am

Australian Republic wrote:We have a few minor tweaks here.

But if the waters you are claiming are resource-rich, happens to be on international shipping routes and overlaps with the maritime boundaries of some nations, everyone would care. In RL for example, PRC's claiming of the whole South China Sea as part of the Nine-Dash Lines caused an international controversy because several ASEAN nations were affected and it does not help that the area claimed sits on deposits of oil and gas along with maritime shipping lines.

This is also is a good discussion point on making the issue valid only on big populations, since people tend to care more about big nations than small nations RL.

If I had not made such premise clear in the issue and please clear me on it, I am going to rewrite it.

Australian Republic wrote:2. In most nations, laws would not get that far. Assuming that a drunk politician were able to sign his/her name without making a big mess of it, and he/she is allowed to make laws whilst drunk, it still has to pass through and get approved by parliment. If it was going to cause that much of an international dispute, parliment aren't likely to pass it

I made it for comedic value but if it is too unrealistic, I will rewrite the opening premise of the issue to something more reasonable. Also, not all nations have parliaments and reasonable checks and balances on the ruling leader or entity.

Maybe make this issue only valid for nations with low political freedom and high authoritarianism, though it just sounds too wrong I believe.

Australian Republic wrote:3. Why the assumption that @@NAME@@ is in the WA and cares about their laws?

I believe that nowhere in the issue it states @@NAME@@ is in the WA and cares about international law. The person in Option 2 is just making an argument to care about international law which you will do if you choose it.

Option 1 is basically to ignore the WA and international law, Option 2 is to do the opposite, 3 is a compromise, and 4 and 5 are extreme versions of 2 and 1. If I am wrong and it is in the issue, kindly point it to me.

Australian Republic wrote:4. Option 4- What land? I thought you were claiming water

Thanks for pointing this out to me, though what I wanted to imply here is that this issue will make a precedent on how the player's nation will deal with future territorial disputes.

I should edit out the word "land" to be more clearer and maybe an issue on general territorial disputes is better than this too China-centric one?

The problem isn't that this has only happened in China. The problem is that you think that just because it happened in China, the only NS nation which can recieve this is China. If you don't over-do it, the issue can be China centric, just not limited to China

Shyubi Koku Naishifun
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shyubi Koku Naishifun » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:38 am

Australian Republic wrote:The problem isn't that this has only happened in China. The problem is that you think that just because it happened in China, the only NS nation which can recieve this is China. If you don't over-do it, the issue can be China centric, just not limited to China

Why? A validity limit of 500 million population is certainly not China-centric since:
-There are many nations in NS which have populations more than 500 M
-It makes much more sense for big and sizeable nations to care about irredentist and territorial claims than small ones in RL.

Anyway, I'm going to abandon this draft for a better and more general, less China-centric issue on territorial disputes which is a problem for most RL nations. Thanks for all the feedback.
Last edited by Shyubi Koku Naishifun on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:42 am

No, don't abandon it! It's good!
If the population is the only China-centric part, then it barely qualifies as China-centric

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:43 am

What? Why would you abandon it? It was a fairly interesting issue evolving in a nice way! :(
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:44 am

Do NOT abandone it!

Shyubi Koku Naishifun
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shyubi Koku Naishifun » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:59 am

Should I redraft another more general one or keep with this, since I'm beginning to think this original is too China-centric?

Shyubi Koku Naishifun
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shyubi Koku Naishifun » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:19 am

Description: You agreed with the upper echelon military officials and the policy makers of the government of @@NAME@@ along with intelligentsia and the neocons to claim a big chunk of the southern maritime area because of historic reasons and also because there's oil and gas there. Apparently the move caused a lot of international controversy and dispute. In a conference involving the legislative body your government decides which path to choose.

Validity: Valid only for nations with at least 250 million and not valid for nations with high environmental beauty and eco-friendliness.

Options:

[option]In the conference, the Minister of Defense, @@RANDOMNAME@@, adamantly declares: "The clay, I mean the territories of @@NAME@@ rightfully belongs to the territories of @@NAME@@". It has been proven by our archaeologists and scholars that our ancestors and fishermen from like 2000 years ago had been fishing on this sea and if that's not enough, we have old and dusty maps from our ancestors to prove our point! Think of the economic growth from the oil and gas deposits and the fisheries! And while we're on it, let's build some islands too there and remind Bigtopia and Maxtopia also of their "stolen lands""
[effect]A will left by a deceased noble revealed of @@NAME@@'s historic claim to Pluto

[effect]@@NAME@@ cedes territories for fear of a lawsuit

[option]One of your advisors tells to you: "You know you should not see this in a black and white situation. Why not cede some of the useless and worthless maritime areas to appease them and keep the resource-rich valuable zones to our own? And then in exchange in ceding some of the territory, strike a joint oil exploration deal with them, and they let us access in to their @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ markets. Their government can be easily bribed anyway, it's a win-win situation."
[effect]Territories are ceded in exchange for licenses to sell stuffed toys and smartphones

[option]The security is wondering how this guy was able to go to the conference. A man who you saw in a Whotube video shouts: "What, bribe? What, we're bribing and infiltrating other governments now! FOR TOO LONG @@NAME@@ HAD BECOME IMPERIALIST AND MEDDLED IN THE AFFAIRS OF OTHER NATIONS!! THIS VIOLETIST GOVERNMENT HAD FOR TOO LONG ABUSED AND INVADED MANY FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE VIOLETIST ELITE! This seas claim stuff is another part of that, give it to other people and know you cannot grab the domain of other peoples! Just like how @@LEADER@@ made the 7/11 a part time job as excuse to invade for unobtanium!"
[stats]All overseas bases are reconverted to zombie paintball and laser tag courses

[option]"Traitor, back off!", a voice is heard from a crowd of crazy peoples sporting awkward symbols who are also uninvited. Among them, a voice is heard proclaiming: "Liliputia will pay! Our @@NAME@@ has the right to get territory for Lebens...., I mean, living space like you know, for the children, think of the children's needs! Anyway, we've got to invade the lower race there claiming the sea and before they know it, OUR WORDS ARE BACKED UP BY NUCLEAR WEAPONS!!! Uh, or some many other regular weapons. Anyway, never shall @@NAME@@ descend into shame again!!!"
[stats]@@LEADER@@ has declared that @@NAME@@ is the "Master Race"

Newer Polished Draft
Last edited by Shyubi Koku Naishifun on Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:59 pm

Reageding validity: Why would environmental beauty matter?
If it didn't, wouldn't it make sense to have an unpolluted water way. You know, so that will actually give the nations something yo fight about...

Shyubi Koku Naishifun
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shyubi Koku Naishifun » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Reageding validity: Why would environmental beauty matter?
If it didn't, wouldn't it make sense to have an unpolluted water way. You know, so that will actually give the nations something yo fight about...

I actually pondered on this and thought that your suggestion is valid so I removed environmental beauty. Because there are a myriad of reasons a nation will claim a maritime area even if its environmental quality is good aside from the water way being unpolluted.

Eco-friendliness makes sense because such activity will bring damages to the marine ecology and to the coral reefs, something a green-minded nation will not do in the first place.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:21 pm

Shyubi Koku Naishifun wrote:Description: You agreed with the upper echelon military officials and the policy makers of the government of @@NAME@@ along with intelligentsia and the neocons to claim a big chunk of the southern maritime area because of historic reasons and also because there's oil and gas there. Apparently the move caused a lot of international controversy and dispute. In a conference involving the legislative body your government decides which path to choose.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I find this description confusing. The text in red is long-winded, and the rest could be clearer too.

Also, there are two problems with your use of the term "neocons." First, neoconservatism is a quintessentially American movement, so references to neoconservatism might perplex non-American players. Second, your depiction of neoconservative foreign policy is simply inaccurate. Neoconservatives are not imperialists but liberal democrats. In foreign policy, they generally adhere to two theories: democratic peace theory and, to a lesser extent, hegemonic stability theory. They're not nationalists but cosmopolitans, and they're not irredentists.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:49 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Reageding validity: Why would environmental beauty matter?

I actually pondered on this and thought that your suggestion is valid so I removed environmental beauty. Because there are a myriad of reasons a nation will claim a maritime area even if its environmental quality is good aside from the water way being unpolluted.

Eco-friendliness makes sense because such activity will bring damages to the marine ecology and to the coral reefs, something a green-minded nation will not do in the first place.

No. You're just pretending that it's yours. Words can't destroy the ocean

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Whilst I do not speak his/her language, the way it's written suggests a languahe barrier. Unfortuantely I do not speak a single Asian language, otherwise I would be happy to translate!

Shyubi Koku Naishifun
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shyubi Koku Naishifun » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:05 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Shyubi Koku Naishifun wrote:Description: You agreed with the upper echelon military officials and the policy makers of the government of @@NAME@@ along with intelligentsia and the neocons to claim a big chunk of the southern maritime area because of historic reasons and also because there's oil and gas there. Apparently the move caused a lot of international controversy and dispute. In a conference involving the legislative body your government decides which path to choose.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I find this description confusing. The text in red is long-winded, and the rest could be clearer too.

Also, there are two problems with your use of the term "neocons." First, neoconservatism is a quintessentially American movement, so references to neoconservatism might perplex non-American players. Second, your depiction of neoconservative foreign policy is simply inaccurate. Neoconservatives are not imperialists but liberal democrats. In foreign policy, they generally adhere to two theories: democratic peace theory and, to a lesser extent, hegemonic stability theory. They're not nationalists but cosmopolitans, and they're not irredentists.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll make it more clearer and remove unnecessary details and remove the word "neocons".

Australian Republic wrote:No. You're just pretending that it's yours. Words can't destroy the ocean

Yes, words don't destroy oceans but land reclamation, dredging and oil and gas drilling totally disrupt marine ecological systems. The point of the Option 1 is that as well as claiming the area, you're going to build sand islands and drill oil and gas there also, disturbing the marine environment in the process.

And also, regarding your "unpolluted water way", the maritime area claimed is not that polluted, your nation is the one going to pollute it due to reasons cited above.
Last edited by Shyubi Koku Naishifun on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shyubi Koku Naishifun
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shyubi Koku Naishifun » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:07 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Whilst I do not speak his/her language, the way it's written suggests a languahe barrier. Unfortuantely I do not speak a single Asian language, otherwise I would be happy to translate!

I agree with you as you are able to quite notice since English is not my first language.

I doubt that you speak my language and pointing out mistakes and corrections in the draft is I think enough.

Shyubi Koku Naishifun
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Shyubi Koku Naishifun » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:11 pm

Changed this
You agreed with the upper echelon military officials and the policy makers of the government of @@NAME@@ along with intelligentsia and the neocons to claim a big chunk of the southern maritime area because of historic reasons and also because there's oil and gas there. Apparently the move caused a lot of international controversy and dispute. In a conference involving the legislative body your government decides which path to choose.

to this:

You agreed with the policy-makers of your government to reaffirm your nation's historic rights on a big chunk of maritime territory in the south of your nation's map. Discovered deposits of oil and gas also show promise for your nation's economy if your nation is able to possess the area. However, the move caused international dispute and your government hence decides which path to choose.
Last edited by Shyubi Koku Naishifun on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?