NATION

PASSWORD

Indonesia demands security for ships in Philippines

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Vulkata II
Minister

Founded: Jun 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Indonesia demands security for ships in Philippines

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:43 am

JAKARTA — Indonesia's foreign minister said on Friday a halt on coal shipments to the Philippines will continue until Manila guarantees security in its waters after seven Indonesian sailors were taken hostage, the latest in a string of abductions.

Indonesian authorities are concerned that piracy in the Sulu Sea area, a major sea traffic corridor for the world's top thermal coal exporter, could reach levels previously seen in Somalia.

In April, the Indonesian Navy instructed all commercial vessels to avoid piracy-prone waters around the southern Philippines.

Analysts say $40 billion worth of cargo passes through those waters a year, including supertankers from the Indian Ocean that cannot use the crowded Malacca Strait.

"The Indonesian government has decided that the moratorium on coal exports to the Philippines will be extended until there is a guarantee for security from the Philippines government," foreign minister Retno Marsudi told reporters.

Indonesia supplies 70 percent of the Philippines' coal import needs, which Indonesian data shows stood at about 15 million tonnes, worth around $800 million, last year.

Alarmed at the frequency of attacks, port authorities in some areas of Indonesia, particularly Kalimantan on the island of Borneo, have stopped issuing permits to ships taking coal to the southern Philippines.

Philippine officials said the government had been working to address piracy in the south and that coal importers could tap other suppliers.

"There will be additional transportation costs if the coal will come from Australia or Russia so that means additional costs ... will have to be passed on to power consumers," said Rino Abad from the Philippine department of energy.

Marsudi said earlier that seven Indonesians had been kidnapped by two different armed groups in attacks on a tugboat towing a coal-carrying barge.

"The government will try all options to free the hostages," she said. Authorities were working to verify whether the kidnappers belonged to Philippine militant group Abu Sayyaf.

Up to 18 Indonesians and Malaysians were kidnapped in three attacks on tugboats earlier this year in Philippine waters by groups suspected of ties to Abu Sayyaf. All 14 Indonesian citizens were later released.

The Philippine military has said the militants have been targeting foreign crew of slow-moving tugboats because they can no longer penetrate resorts and coastal towns in Malaysia's eastern Sabah state due to increased security.

The rise of sea hijackings prompted Indonesia, the Philippines and Malaysia to agree last month to carry out coordinated patrols to secure the region's busy waterways.

However, coordinated patrols are yet to get underway.

Abu Sayyaf, known for amassing tens of millions of dollars from kidnappings, has beheaded two Canadian nationals in recent weeks after ransom deadlines passed. It is still holding Malaysian seamen and Japanese, Dutch, Norwegian, and Filipino citizens.
- See more at: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/57 ... SYzy8.dpuf

In my honest opinion.

Can't blame them, we got lots of problems here already but now we got Duterte this can lead to a bloodbath err for the Abu Sayaf of course
Last edited by Vulkata II on Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -George Patton

He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future. -Adolf Hitler

Part of the American dream is to live long and die young. Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live. -General MacArthur
The player is currently:Clear|Busy
Great Tawil wrote:The thing is I hate fighting. I just wanna draw flags and make friends

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

Pranovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Pranovia » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:47 am

This, is why I have always clamored for the return of Martial Law. The heaviness of crime committed by subversive insurgents is...very alarming.
The permissiveness of society must be balanced with authoritativeness. - Ferdinand Marcos
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... arcos.html
Pranovia is based on 1970s era Philippines, with some personal twists.
About me: 15 years old, femme AFAB genderqueer, ENTP, Protestant Christian, loves Pokemon, Charmander is my Starter, is in Team Mystic, Authoritarian Nationalist but socially liberal

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:49 am

Pranovia wrote:This, is why I have always clamored for the return of Martial Law. The heaviness of crime committed by subversive insurgents is...very alarming.

Marshall law wont do anything but more fear,corruption and deaths for us.

Abu Sayyaf is a terrorist group in Mindanao, if anything we need to attack a lot their with strategic plannings
It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -George Patton

Part of the American dream is to live long and die young. Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live. -General MacArthur
Great Tawil wrote:The thing is I hate fighting. I just wanna draw flags and make friends

_[' ]_

Pranovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Pranovia » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:50 am

Vulkata II wrote:
Pranovia wrote:This, is why I have always clamored for the return of Martial Law. The heaviness of crime committed by subversive insurgents is...very alarming.

Abu Sayyaf is a terrorist group in Mindanao, if anything we need to attack a lot their with strategic plannings

The only thing I fear if all out war is declared, is that there will be more SAF 44-type incidents.
The permissiveness of society must be balanced with authoritativeness. - Ferdinand Marcos
About me: 15 years old, femme AFAB genderqueer, ENTP, Protestant Christian, loves Pokemon, Charmander is my Starter, is in Team Mystic, Authoritarian Nationalist but socially liberal

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:51 am

Its also just Jokowi trying to appear tough.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:52 am

Valaran wrote:Its also just Jokowi trying to appear tough.

Idk.

Lots of Indonesian hostages have been reported captured by the Abu

_[' ]_

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:54 am

Vulkata II wrote:

Idk.

Its sort of his thing.

He's doing a form of brinkmanship on this, which is perhaps not my preferred approach, but hopefully some sort of security deal is reached.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:55 am

Valaran wrote:
Vulkata II wrote:Idk.

Its sort of his thing.

He's doing a form of brinkmanship on this, which is perhaps not my preferred approach, but hopefully some sort of security deal is reached.

Didn't read it but there's some talks with the Malaysian's about this with us Pinoys and Indonesian's

_[' ]_

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:57 am

Whoa, i'm Indonesian and you created a thread about the situation in Indonesia, cool
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:58 am

The Federation of Kendor wrote:Whoa, i'm Indonesian and you created a thread about the situation in Indonesia, cool

Yeah i kinda did that on purpose and i saw this in my national news channel

_[' ]_

Pranovia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Pranovia » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:59 am

Vulkata II wrote:
The Federation of Kendor wrote:Whoa, i'm Indonesian and you created a thread about the situation in Indonesia, cool

Yeah i kinda did that on purpose and i saw this in my national news channel

I sure hope that Duterte and Jokowi will get along. After all, they share lots of similarities.

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:01 am

Pranovia wrote:
Vulkata II wrote:Yeah i kinda did that on purpose and i saw this in my national news channel

I sure hope that Duterte and Jokowi will get along. After all, they share lots of similarities.

International Du30 supporters=South Korea,Some other Asian countries crap i should know this.

International Trump Supporters=Kim Jong Un and others

_[' ]_

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:01 am

Pranovia wrote:
Vulkata II wrote:Yeah i kinda did that on purpose and i saw this in my national news channel

Like that they are both a mayor of Zamboanga and Solo, respectively before becoming a president
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:07 am

Vulkata II wrote:
Valaran wrote:
Its sort of his thing.

Didn't read it but there's some talks with the Malaysian's about this with us Pinoys and Indonesian's

Ah, thanks for saying. I would have just stuck with those if I was him - if they didn't work out, then sure, go with the moratorium. But this may have made it quite acrimonious without good cause.

Of course, it could be a result of talks not getting very far, in which case this more drastic action is understandable.

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:39 am

Can't the shipping companies just hire PMCs for protection? It seems to work out reasonably well for those sailing around the Horn of Africa.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:41 am

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Can't the shipping companies just hire PMCs for protection? It seems to work out reasonably well for those sailing around the Horn of Africa.

Too expensive i guess? Idk there's some talks for now

_[' ]_

Stadenwick
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Stadenwick » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:53 am

Well to be fair he does look like scrawny lil bitch, but lots of Indonesian hostages means he have to do something one time or another
I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT
Great Confederacy Of Commonwealth States wrote:
Stadenwick wrote:Did you just call me wicky?

Aye.

So yeah, feel free to call me that from now on.
Tracian Empire wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Basically, Stadenwick is RPing as the Russian, Orthodox version of Mormonism and Deseret.

Something in that direction, with some anti-Pope stuff hidden in since he claims to be a new Ecumenical Patriarch.

That's why I don't like heresies. They need to be burned.
Mobile posting is cancer, and i do a lot of it. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:07 am

Vulkata II wrote:

This sound like an Islamic terrorism problem given my knowledge of Mindanao.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Saradena
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Saradena » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:11 am

We need more naval assets. And more manpower.

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Vulkata II wrote:Marshall law wont do anything but more fear,corruption and deaths for us.

This sound like an Islamic terrorism problem given my knowledge of Mindanao.

It is, since they're an offshoot of Al-Qaeda who just pledged allegiance to Daesh back in 2015.
Last edited by Saradena on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Japanese/Mongolian weeb cesspit nation with a lotta US military hardware
Formerly known as Esgonia (RIP Best Maid)

Call me Es, Essie, Ainsley Harriot, whatever.
Send TG's if you like
  • Part of Novae Terrae/Alithea (Most of our canon stuff's now on Discord anyway. TG me if you're interested!)
  • Does not use NS Stats (I have Factbooks, dammit)
Empire of Donner land wrote:We get it. You're the grand master edge supreme. :P
Victoriala wrote:Thank god we aren't neighbors

Tune of the now: "Zambian Psychedelic Rock music I just found or something"

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:16 am

Saradena wrote:We need more naval assets. And more manpower.

The Serbian Empire wrote:This sound like an Islamic terrorism problem given my knowledge of Mindanao.

It is, since they're an offshoot of Al-Qaeda who just pledged allegiance to Daesh back in 2015.

So they use piracy to get funds. As soon as I heard beheadings of captives, I knew it was Islamic terrorism.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Seraven
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:15 am

Please don't.

Or Philippines' security still not good enough for us Indonesians.

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Can't the shipping companies just hire PMCs for protection? It seems to work out reasonably well for those sailing around the Horn of Africa.

Price is high to hire PMC.

And Horn of Africa's trading is far more profitable and important.
Copper can change as its quality went down.
Gold can't change, for its quality never went down.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:37 pm

The philippines just needs to set a radar on one of the Sulu islands. Thus they can keep an eye on all boats in the South Sulu seas. They also need to keep coast guard bases on some of those islands. That part of the Philippines is said to be the least well off economically which could explain the pirates.

Map - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Bagsak.png
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:38 pm

Rio Cana wrote:The philippines just needs to set a radar on one of the Sulu islands. Thus they can keep an eye on all boats in the South Sulu seas. They also need to keep coast guard bases on some of those islands. That part of the Philippines is said to be the least well off economically which could explain the pirates.

......Did the government knew all of this? If China and the Phil is having a starring contest why don't we just do this in the first place?

_[' ]_

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:59 pm

Vulkata II wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:The philippines just needs to set a radar on one of the Sulu islands. Thus they can keep an eye on all boats in the South Sulu seas. They also need to keep coast guard bases on some of those islands. That part of the Philippines is said to be the least well off economically which could explain the pirates.

......Did the government knew all of this? If China and the Phil is having a starring contest why don't we just do this in the first place?

The Philippines military is plagued by chronic underfunding and corruption in the procurement system. Filipino military personnel are brave and decently trained for the most part, though training could be better. But their equipment is pathetic.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Vulkata II
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Vulkata II » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:00 pm

Novus America wrote:
Vulkata II wrote:......Did the government knew all of this? If China and the Phil is having a starring contest why don't we just do this in the first place?

The Philippines military is plagued by chronic underfunding and corruption in the procurement system. Filipino military personnel are brave and decently trained for the most part, though training could be better. But their equipment is pathetic.

Can you really blame us? We don't even have a tank and use BTR's instead really i checked our wikipedia page on our military.

Though it may be useful seeing this is a small island that can easily be surrounded

_[' ]_

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General