NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] @@NAME@@ Is Gonna Need A Bigger Boat

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Team Rhysha
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] @@NAME@@ Is Gonna Need A Bigger Boat

Postby Team Rhysha » Sat May 28, 2016 8:55 pm

Hello, I've been doing NationStates for a while but don't really use the forums, but I thought this would be a neat issue idea. I'd like some feedback. Thanks!

Title:

@@NAME@@ Is Gonna Need A Bigger Boat

The Issue:

After a series of fatal shark attacks by @@ANIMAL@@ sharks on swimmers on the coast during prime vacation time, a debate has arisen over how to respond the finned danger.

Validity:

Not valid for nations with bad eco-friendliness, extremely poor tourism, or a very weak trout fishing industry.

The Debate:

[option] "My sister was seriously hurt in one of the attacks." says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a family member of a victim. "Okay, while that isn't the worse possible outcome, these @@ANIMAL@@ sharks are here and are very hungry. We need to properly protect the beaches from them. Nets! Guard boats! Shark watchers! It might be expensive, but it's better than getting another person chowed on, right?"

[effect] Lifeguards are more concerned with watching for sharks than watching for struggling swimmers.

[stats] Taxation goes up a small amount, Freedom from Taxation goes down a small amount, Tourism goes up a significant amount (because safer beaches), Safety also goes up a significant amount, Eco-Friendliness goes down a moderate amount, Employment goes up a bit because of the increased jobs available, Death Rate goes down, and Defense Forces goes up about a tiny bit.

[option] "It's not the @@ANIMAL@@ sharks that are the problem," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, an environmental activist. "It's the people! The government should protect the sharks from the beachgoers and industries that steal their food and habitat, forcing them to come closer to humans. The sharks are the victims of overfishing! We simply need to fully protect them. Swim at your own risk."

[effect] Beaches are empty as the shark population multiples exponentially.

[stats] Tourism goes down a dramatic amount, the Death Rate goes up a bit, Eco-Friendliness increases greatly, Employment goes down a bit, Safety goes down a moderate amount, Environmental Beauty goes up a lot, Culture increases, and the Trout Fishing industry goes down a lot.

[option] "These @@ANIMAL@@ sharks offer us an opportunity." says @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, your Minister of Tourism as he looks over plans for oceanfront tourism development. "Think about it. How much are people willing to pay to see sharks up close? It'll surely attract tons of new visitors to our beaches and aquariums. Maybe it will even encourage some protection for our money makers. Sure, some people might die, but it's for the experience, you know?"

[effect] Sharks are massive attractions at @@NAME@@'s coasts.

[stats] Eco-Friendliness goes up a moderate amount, as does Environmental Beauty, Tourism increases massively, Economic Output increases, and Safety decreases a significant amount, and the Death Rate increases a bit.

[option] "Sharks? For tourism? You're kidding right?" laughs Admiral @@RANDOMNAME@@ of the navy. "I have a much better solution. The @@ANIMAL@@ shark is a man-eater. Plain and simple. But, with our special military equipment, we can control and train these sharks to help fight against the enemy in the waters. What diver can swim faster than a massive @@ANIMAL@@ shark? We would be the undisputed kings of the oceans with our elite @@ANIMAL@@ sharks guiding us. Who needs dolphins?"

[effect] The navy uses highly-trained @@ANIMAL@@ sharks to fight the enemy in water.

[stats] Eco-Friendliness is goes down a bit, same with Environmental Beauty, Taxation increases as Freedom from Taxation decreases, Tourism goes down a bit, the Defense Forces and Arms Manufacturing are increased significantly, Scientific Advancement and Weaponization increases, as Safety, Pacifism, and Death Rates decline.

[option] "Seems like you got a shark problem on your hand." Quant, a rugged experienced professional fisherman, captain of the @@ANIMAL@@ nonchalantly mutters in a thick accent as he caresses a harpoon gun. "I've been fishing on the @@NAME@@ Bay since before I could walk, I served on the S.S. @@CAPITAL@@, that sunk. I've seen these sharks up close, they've got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. I'll take care of your shark problem, so long as I get paid handsomely." He grins as he toys with a large shark tooth.

[effect] Sharks have all but been eliminated from @@NAME@@'s waters.

[stats] Eco-Friendliness is essentially destroyed, going down as far as possible, the same with Environmental Beauty, Taxation increases as Freedom from Taxation decreases, Tourism goes up a bit, Ignorance goes up a bit, Trout Fishing increases a moderate amount, and Safety increases a moderate amount.

This is my first issue, so I apologize for any mistakes. I was considering adding a sixth option for something to do with Trout Fishing, but I dunno. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Team Rhysha on Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Sun May 29, 2016 3:57 pm

Use @@NAME@@ instead of @@NATION@@, and don't use italics in issues.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Team Rhysha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Rhysha » Tue May 31, 2016 2:13 pm

Leppikania wrote:Use @@NAME@@ instead of @@NATION@@, and don't use italics in issues.

Is there anything else?

Greater Khorezm
Political Columnist

Founded: May 31, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Khorezm » Tue May 31, 2016 2:16 pm

Team Rhysha wrote:"My sister was seriously hurt in one of the attacks." says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a family member of a victim from one of the attacks.

Might want to cut down on the word repetition there.

Team Rhysha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Rhysha » Tue May 31, 2016 3:26 pm

Greater Khorezm wrote:
Team Rhysha wrote:"My sister was seriously hurt in one of the attacks." says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a family member of a victim from one of the attacks.

Might want to cut down on the word repetition there.

Thanks, I thought it was a little awkward.

Do you have any recommendations for any change in effects?

Katalaysia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Katalaysia » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:35 am

Calling them @@ANIMAL@@ sharks may not work for some nations, depending on what their national animal is. For example Unicorn Kitten Sharks sounds slightly ridiculous and like an overly long name, and if a nation had the shark as their national animal, they'd have Shark Sharks, which sounds rather redundant (funny, but redundant), but it's up to you if you want something like that.
Uses Nationstates Stats, except for population. Assume around 100,000-120,000 people.
Slight PMT. Uses forcefields and slightly more advanced robots, but otherwise MT.
Please inform me if I make any mistakes! I'm quite new to this, and don't really follow politics otherwise, so any help is appreciated!
Author of "Shh, Spoilers!" and "Plug In and Play"

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:25 am

Katalaysia wrote:Calling them @@ANIMAL@@ sharks may not work for some nations, depending on what their national animal is. For example Unicorn Kitten Sharks sounds slightly ridiculous and like an overly long name, and if a nation had the shark as their national animal, they'd have Shark Sharks, which sounds rather redundant (funny, but redundant), but it's up to you if you want something like that.

Or my nation would have Kangaroo Sharks
But, although I could be wrong, but think it's perfectly acceptable to use a real species of shark
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Team Rhysha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Rhysha » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:57 am

Australian Republic wrote:
Katalaysia wrote:Calling them @@ANIMAL@@ sharks may not work for some nations, depending on what their national animal is. For example Unicorn Kitten Sharks sounds slightly ridiculous and like an overly long name, and if a nation had the shark as their national animal, they'd have Shark Sharks, which sounds rather redundant (funny, but redundant), but it's up to you if you want something like that.

Or my nation would have Kangaroo Sharks
But, although I could be wrong, but think it's perfectly acceptable to use a real species of shark

If it is, I suppose I would be fine with it. I also floated around something like Maxtopian Sharks, but the fact that they could be called "Money sharks" is my beef.

Team Rhysha
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Team Rhysha » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:53 am

Alright, I guess I'm going to submit it in a bit, maybe today or tomorrow, within this week. Thanks for your advice guys!

If you have any other suggestions, please leave them ASAP.
Last edited by Team Rhysha on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?