NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Crime and Punishment

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:38 pm

Tinfect wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:The Most Holy and Grand Empire has abolished the death penalty.

"Then we fail to see how your interpretation is relevant, if your Government does not utilize it in its laws."

We hold other nations to standards.

SchutteGod wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:As interpreted by our nation, capital punishment is disproportionate, unless the person to be executed has committed or was an accessory to an (attempted) unlawful homicide.

Surely your government could not object if a nation executed someone for rape, or treason?

Unless the rape or treasonous act resulted or could have resulted in death, we believe that execution would be condemnable. There is not proportionality between sexual assault and the death penalty, unless the assailant killed or sought to kill the victim.
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

SchutteGod
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SchutteGod » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:35 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
SchutteGod wrote:Surely your government could not object if a nation executed someone for rape, or treason?

"Executions for rape just increase the likelihood that the victim will be killed. That seems like a good reason to object."

Perhaps, in countries where they lack DNA testing, or other means of identifying perpetrators of violence not requiring eyewitness testimony.
The Autocratic Freak Show of SchutteGod: Fun FAQs | UN Fairness and Equality Act (author) | WA Charter of Civil Rights (co-author)

Ovybia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovybia » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:56 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Ovybia wrote:OOC: No offense but isn't that the same reason I just said in different words?

OOC: I typed significantly more than you did and you ninja'd me by typing with brevity. Now, that you didn't fully think out the implications of both frameworks left it open to attack...

Ok, fair enough. I see that you edited your post to add two more paragraphs, sneaky. ;)
Please approve Child Destruction Ban. If you don't, the Ovybian dragon will come eat you.
Prolife? Consider joining Right to Life, one of the 100 largest regions of NS
Signature Details
Practicing courteousness in an NS argument never hurt anyone.
Disclaimer: Admittedly sometimes I need to take my own advice.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:03 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:snip

Why was this OOC?

I suppose there is an argument there. But in Excidium Planetis not all rape is punishable by death. Certainly not statutory rape, or rape due to the victim being drunk and therefore unable to consent. It would only be violent sexual assaults that would be eligible for execution.

Now, I suppose that the murder rate would go up in response. But, even with rape being a crime of passion and therefore unlikely to be reduced with harsher punishments, the overall rate of rapes would still go down because there would be less repeat offenses. I guess it's a trade off between more deaths and less rapes or more rapes and less deaths.

Perhaps you could attempt to stop this trend by giving swifter executions for murders and years on death row for rape? Would a few more years of life be worth it to not kill your victim?
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:40 am

Getting victims to report rape, and getting the various elements of the justice system to seriously investigate and prosecute it, and getting a jury to convict all on top of that, is fucking hard enough without bringing the enormous can of worms labeled "capital punishment" into it. Maybe for a repeat offender or a particularly sadistic perpetrator it's a deserved punishment; but it really would be a complicating factor so far outweighing any deterrent value that it's just not worth it.

Then you ask yourself, well, what if the DNA testing lab has procedure or corruption problems? How sure are you, given the number of overturned convictions IRL, that you're actually executing the right person?

My own desire and satisfaction for retribution would sure as shit get a big kick out of sending rapists to the electric chair, but that's not a reason to make that change to a criminal justice system.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:50 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:Getting victims to report rape, and getting the various elements of the justice system to seriously investigate and prosecute it, and getting a jury to convict all on top of that, is fucking hard enough without bringing the enormous can of worms labeled "capital punishment" into it.

IC/OOC?
This actually brings up an interesting point. If a large number of rapes don't go reported, and thus never get prosecuted, or are simply ignored by the justice system, would capital punishment for rape then increase the number of rape prosecutions? After all, apparently all these rapes are then becoming murders as well, and then we don't have to worry about them going unreported because typically people going missing attracts attention and murders are usually investigated more thoroughly than other crimes. So the victims getting killed actually helps them achieve justice, I guess. (Definitely OOC: This is pretty immoral reasoning, but it's something I could see Excidium Planetis buying into.)

Then you ask yourself, well, what if the DNA testing lab has procedure or corruption problems?

That's why DNA testing is automated in Excidium Planetis. A lot of law enforcement is, actually. Computers are just less corrupt and less prone to error (though when they do screw up, its pretty bad).
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Previous

Return to WA Archives