NATION

PASSWORD

Was the first atomic bomb justified?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Was the bomb dropped on Hiroshima justified?

Yes
66%
No
25%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 433

Inter-Universal Republic of Earth
Envoy

Founded: Apr 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Was the first atomic bomb justified?

Postby Inter-Universal Republic of Earth » Fri May 27, 2016 7:42 am

I am one of the believers that the first atomic bomb was justified, since if a conventional invasion was used, the war was projected to go on for 2 to 3 more years. I also believe the first bomb being dropped, even though killing many people, saved the lives of over 2 million more. If the war was to go on, the projected cost of human life would be 3 million lives. It ended the war short, and saved lives in the process. I'm not asking about morality, that's something for another thread. The second bomb I do not think is justified, but that's also for another thread.

So NS, I come to you. Was the first bombing justified or not?
Wanna see my really big ship?

_[' ]_
(-_Q)

Allet Klar Chefs
Minister

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Allet Klar Chefs » Fri May 27, 2016 7:44 am

Yes, and the second too. Fuck the Japanese empire, imo.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri May 27, 2016 7:46 am

Allet Klar Chefs wrote:Yes, and the second too. Fuck the Japanese empire, imo.

Stupid japs, amirite.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Fri May 27, 2016 7:47 am

Yeah.

tbh, the greater moral controversy normally arrives with Nagasaki than Hiroshima.
Last edited by Valaran on Fri May 27, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

The Texan Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Texan Union » Fri May 27, 2016 7:48 am

*cough*

Dresden

*cough*
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
-Thomas Jefferson

Pro: Human Decency, Books, Movies, The X-Files, Art, Science, Liberty, Happiness, and Astronomy.
Anti: Abortion (Exceptions to this), U.N., E.U., N.A.T.O., The Walking Dead, Extremism, Idiocy (Feminism), and Doubt.

I'm a 16-year-old Caucasian male from Texas. I'm a non-denominational Christian. INFJ personality type. Brownish-blonde hair, blue eyes. I love to read. Politically annoyed. Possible insomniac. Fear of doctors. I hate physical interaction, unless it's with someone I know pretty well. I love rainy days and clear nights. That's about it.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri May 27, 2016 7:48 am

Now, as I've reiterated time and time again, no.
But hey, don't take it from me.
There is little point in attempting precisely to impute Japan's unconditional surrender to any one of the numerous causes which jointly and cumulatively were responsible for Japan's disaster. The time lapse between military impotence and political acceptance of the inevitable might have been shorter had the political structure of Japan permitted a more rapid and decisive determination of national policies. Nevertheless, it seems clear that, even without the atomic bombing attacks, air supremacy over Japan could have exerted sufficient pressure to bring about unconditional surrender and obviate the need for invasion.

Based on a detailed investigation of all the facts, and supported by the testimony of the surviving Japanese leaders involved, it is the Survey's opinion that certainly prior to 31 December 1945, and in all probability prior to 1 November 1945, Japan would have surrendered even if the atomic bombs had not been dropped, even if Russia had not entered the war, and even if no invasion had been planned or contemplated.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/USSBS-PTO-Summary.html#jstetw

Galipolska
Civilian

Founded: May 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Galipolska » Fri May 27, 2016 7:49 am

Nuclear weapons were used primarily to end WWII without any further American casualties. There's no doubt that US used weapons of mass destruction to innocent civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I agree that nuclear strike on Japan was needed, but killing Japanese civilians was not even necessary.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri May 27, 2016 7:49 am

Yes.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Great Kauthar
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kauthar » Fri May 27, 2016 7:51 am

Yes it was justified. The Japanese were ruthless and commit thousands of war crimes. My great uncle was a PoW in the Hellfire Pass and came back a fifth of his weight and was skinny as fuck. The second one was justified as well, and if there was a third one it would've been justified too.
"Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need." - Ephesians 4:28 (ESV)
Christian Social Democrat
I am: "A monument to [the RWDT's] collective sins."

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Fri May 27, 2016 7:51 am

All we needed was Rainbow Stalin.
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri May 27, 2016 7:52 am

Great Kauthar wrote:Yes it was justified. The Japanese were ruthless and commit thousands of war crimes. My great uncle was a PoW in the Hellfire Pass and came back a fifth of his weight and was skinny as fuck. The second one was justified as well, and if there was a third one it would've been justified too.

Tell me about how the children killed in the bombings tortured your great uncle.

The Texan Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Texan Union » Fri May 27, 2016 7:53 am

Merizoc wrote:Now, as I've reiterated time and time again, no.
There is little point in attempting precisely to impute Japan's unconditional surrender to any one of the numerous causes which jointly and cumulatively were responsible for Japan's disaster. The time lapse between military impotence and political acceptance of the inevitable might have been shorter had the political structure of Japan permitted a more rapid and decisive determination of national policies. Nevertheless, it seems clear that, even without the atomic bombing attacks, air supremacy over Japan could have exerted sufficient pressure to bring about unconditional surrender and obviate the need for invasion.

Based on a detailed investigation of all the facts, and supported by the testimony of the surviving Japanese leaders involved, it is the Survey's opinion that certainly prior to 31 December 1945, and in all probability prior to 1 November 1945, Japan would have surrendered even if the atomic bombs had not been dropped, even if Russia had not entered the war, and even if no invasion had been planned or contemplated.

Whether they would've surrendered or not, they deserved all of it. After all, they killed plenty more than that in Nanjing.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
-Thomas Jefferson

Pro: Human Decency, Books, Movies, The X-Files, Art, Science, Liberty, Happiness, and Astronomy.
Anti: Abortion (Exceptions to this), U.N., E.U., N.A.T.O., The Walking Dead, Extremism, Idiocy (Feminism), and Doubt.

I'm a 16-year-old Caucasian male from Texas. I'm a non-denominational Christian. INFJ personality type. Brownish-blonde hair, blue eyes. I love to read. Politically annoyed. Possible insomniac. Fear of doctors. I hate physical interaction, unless it's with someone I know pretty well. I love rainy days and clear nights. That's about it.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri May 27, 2016 7:54 am

The Texan Union wrote:

Whether they would've surrendered or not, they deserved all of it. After all, they killed plenty more than that in Nanjing.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GAWD!!!!!111111

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri May 27, 2016 7:55 am

Japan was attempting to end the war with negotiations before the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. All sources pointed to a conventional victory. No, the atomic bomb was not justified.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

SUNTHREIT
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby SUNTHREIT » Fri May 27, 2016 7:55 am

The Atomic bomb actually saved lives in the long run. Without the two bombs being dropped, Japan wouldn't have surrendered, and US+Soviet troops would've had to launch an amphibious invasion of the exhausted Island country. And can you imagine how much of a shithole the communist/soviet-occupied part of Japan would be?
No matter what you do, hold back the end of history however you can.

The Texan Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Texan Union » Fri May 27, 2016 7:56 am

Merizoc wrote:
The Texan Union wrote:Whether they would've surrendered or not, they deserved all of it. After all, they killed plenty more than that in Nanjing.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GAWD!!!!!111111

Oh, I'm sorry, do you have a better solution? Peace, right? Let's just forgive and forget right? Why should we even bother punishing murderers, right?
-Thomas Jefferson

Arlathan and the Dales
Envoy

Founded: May 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arlathan and the Dales » Fri May 27, 2016 7:56 am

Great Kauthar wrote:Yes it was justified. The Japanese were ruthless and commit thousands of war crimes. My great uncle was a PoW in the Hellfire Pass and came back a fifth of his weight and was skinny as fuck. The second one was justified as well, and if there was a third one it would've been justified too.

This is not a good line of reasoning at all. Japan commiting war crimes does not justify a reciprocation. Such a way of thinking is quite frankly horrifying.

At least make the often times used, but no less false, excuse of it ended the war quicker, rather than "yes it killed lots of people so it's good"
Ridersyl wrote:"Mom, there's liberals in my soup!"
The Black Forrest wrote:
Vaikneland wrote:I have an understanding of basically politics and economics

You do? Can you teach Trump?

SUNTHREIT
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby SUNTHREIT » Fri May 27, 2016 7:56 am

What about a fourth... or a fifth... or a sixth?
Where do you draw the line?
Last edited by SUNTHREIT on Fri May 27, 2016 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
No matter what you do, hold back the end of history however you can.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri May 27, 2016 7:56 am

Sunthreit wrote:The Atomic bomb actually saved lives in the long run. Without the two bombs being dropped, Japan wouldn't have surrendered, and US+Soviet troops would've had to launch an amphibious invasion of the exhausted Island country. And can you imagine how much of a shithole the communist/soviet-occupied part of Japan would be?

All evidence at the time suggests differently. The Japanese had no real resources left, were starving and demoralized. They were losing ground everywhere and isolated and had already sent a diplomat to Moscow to begin peace talks.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Fri May 27, 2016 7:57 am

The Texan Union wrote:

And I'm sure if the Nazis had developed a bomb and dropped it in New York you would say the exact same thing. After all, the US killed so many people, look at all the innocent lives they murdered in Dresden!
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri May 27, 2016 7:57 am

The Texan Union wrote:
Merizoc wrote:BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GAWD!!!!!111111

Oh, I'm sorry, do you have a better solution? Peace, right? Let's just forgive and forget right? Why should we even bother punishing murderers, right?

If you can provide me with evidence that all of those killed, or even a large majority, in the bombings were murderers, go right ahead.

Blitz Epidemic
Spokesperson

Founded: May 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Blitz Epidemic » Fri May 27, 2016 7:57 am

Yes, of course, and the bomb should of been dropped on Mecca & Medina on 9/11 as well.

Arlathan and the Dales
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arlathan and the Dales » Fri May 27, 2016 7:57 am

The Texan Union wrote:

The mostly civilian populations of Hiroshima and Nagasaki commited these acts?
The Black Forrest wrote:

Arlathan and the Dales
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Arlathan and the Dales » Fri May 27, 2016 7:57 am

Blitz Epidemic wrote:Yes, of course, and the bomb should of been dropped on Mecca & Medina on 9/11 as well.

How ignorant.
The Black Forrest wrote:

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Fri May 27, 2016 7:57 am

Sunthreit wrote:

What about a fourth... or a fifth... or a sixth?
Where do you draw the line?

Honestly I don't think he cares.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General