NATION

PASSWORD

Out of the Silent Planets IC

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Out of the Silent Planets IC

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed May 11, 2016 6:02 pm

I am Doctor Tachiko Fuchida, and I apologize if I seem to be rushing but I wish to start you all off by introducing you to a very specialized and confusing piece of jargon that is central to this course. It is a technical term that is often thrown around with little care towards its meaning or implications and the very essence of this course lies in coaxing out its true essence and dealing with the consequences from and to it that results from changes made to it.

The word is ‘reality’.

Such a simple word, isn’t it? Derived like so many others from Latin to describe something in the state of being real. But like so many conceptual words, its deeper meaning is one that is actually much harder to pin down than many think it is. In the end the vast majority of us don’t even raise a question about it and cede the field of inquiry over its nature entirely. We think we have too many other questions pressing on us that are more important, and why should we contest the collective interpretation of empirical evidence that defines ‘reality’ which we—as a species—have painstakingly gathered for so long? That would be crazy, wouldn’t it?

The answer is simple. Yes it would be, but we do it because we can. No, we do it because we must. Because it was and is, to steal a turn of phrase from Oppenheimer, an organic necessity. Because if you are a scientist you believe that it is good to find out what reality is, even if you must court that which seems unreal to do so. If you are a scientist you believe it is good to turn over to mankind at large the greatest possible power to control the world and deal with it according to their own lights and values.

I, personally, assume we do not live in the best of all possible worlds. That may be a matter of opinion, we can discuss that more in-depth later. But even if we do, for the purposes of this discussion we would still have to hope that mankind grows to ask the important questions about reality through our questioning it. Because even in the best of all possible worlds we still encounter the stumbling block of reality itself. Such an inconvenience this reality thing, wouldn’t you say? So, we are left with nothing but the hope that our questions will be listened to.

You all have, no doubt, encountered the divergence of opinion between myself and others as to how reality works in previous courses. You have already heard some of my questions. So, I will make this slightly more simple for you. I will, temporarily, remove some of the reflection and doubt from the curriculum so you may first grow into the questioning itself and bring up your own questions. After all, one must walk before they can run, no? The trick—and that is what it is, make no mistake about that it is nothing even close to an explanation—lies in my nickname for this course. It is a trick Earth’s stolid scientific community has rather resoundingly rejected, and I am bound by university policy to remind you all that my personal statements and beliefs do not reflect the opinions or beliefs of the Physics Department or Gefjon University.

With those preliminaries out of the way, ladies and gentlemen, allow me to welcome you to Dirac-Exploitation Physics and Quantum Instability. Or, as I prefer to call it, ‘Intro to Magic’. You may wish to leave if you value a future career in serious academia.
-Tachiko Fuchida introducing herself to an Advanced Physics class on Beowulf, 2088.

Her Grand Temple
K’Tarrain (Planet of the People of K’Tar)
December 27, 2310

What do these People of the Changing Powers understand but force? They are only content when they are warring, if not with us then among themselves. Have you all forgotten what sorry state we first found them in?

High Bishop Muros K’Lakulin paused so that he could run his eyes across the entirety of the Synod around him. In contrast to the larger, and significantly more chaotic, councils which drew from across K’Tarr space, this one was populated by a bare fourteen individuals. He had time enough in his usage of The Silence-Between-Speech to pause on every one of them without an awkwardly lengthy delay. What the pause told him did not look positive.

They were afraid. Perhaps not overtly, but their actions bespoke the truth of their feelings. The humans had driven a spike of fear and panic into the ancient Halls of the K’Tar with what they had done in the closing days of the war. Throughout the conflict Muros had believed his initial call for a Crusade in Her Name against the species was justified. Their usage of the Changing Powers had turned that belief into stone certainty.

It had brought him many allies on the Synod as well. But others it had driven away, or pushed into the dreadfully heathen clutches of overthought and excess caution. He was no closer to influencing Her people’s policy than he had been. Were Muros a greedy or self-serving man the continued retreat of power so close to his reach might have aggravated him. In truth he was only aggravated by the threat to his species and to the K’Tar that it allowed to continue.

We have attempted your way. It did nothing for the K’Tar but bring violence back on Her Servants. These People of the Changing Powers used force against us because we first used it against them at Mazarin. Please share what it is you think will make us more successful if we listen to you again?

Muros didn’t allow himself to sniff his dislike for the words. Aduro S’Linas was one of the oldest members of the Synod, and also one of those with the greatest love for using verbal tricks and traps against those he disagreed with. Muros was in no mood to put up with such foolishness.

I was not listened to previously. We stopped after Mazarin. We crippled them and then rose and snored at our own accomplishment without actually completing the task we had set out to do, just as now we sit here and endlessly talk as they build more of their blasphemous weapons to wield against us in the coming years. We should have converted them when we had the chance.

You would have us descend once again into the barbarity and destructiveness the K’Tar saved us from? I had thought more deeply of your devotion than that.” Aduro said.

This time Muros did sniff, as did the half-dozen members of the Synod firmly on his side. There were coughs and twitches of disapproval from a handful more as well. Before he could rebuke the old katith, however, a third party intervened.

High Bishop S’Linas, it would be best to refrain from questioning any’s devotion on a matter of opinion such as this.” The caretaker at the end of the table said, some of his first words since the meeting had begun. They were not his last, and Muros was robbed of any advantage he may have been able to build from his opponent’s embarrassing slip.

In truth, this line of discussion is largely irrelevant until it is possible to determine the K’Tar’s Will on the matter. Go in peace now, brothers and sisters, and may the K’Tar’s words reach your ears.” It was a somewhat heavy-handed dismissal, but the caretaker was of the older generation and shared a genial relation, if not always an opinion, with S’Linas. Beyond that, there were more neutral objectives as well. One of the caretaker’s duties was to prevent any extreme conflicts from fracturing the Synod.

Bishop K’Lakulin?

Muros turned to the voice. One of the younger Deacon Observers who’d been seated near him was standing at a decidedly nervous angle and awkwardly rubbing at his nose. Muros tried to draw up his name from memory, but there were dozens of the Observers in the Synod’s Hall, he just could not keep track of them all. The striped robes and complete lack of incense on him belied he was quite junior, however. No surprise he was nervous, to interrupt a High Bishop!

I hear?” Muros said patiently, idly curious what would draw such a junior member of the Synod forward to him.

The nervousness became more pronounced as the Deacon transitioned into the common language of the People of the Changing Powers. “We now know and shall soon show.”

Muros sniffed appreciatively at the phrase. “Deacon, you have traveled far. Please, join me for a walk.

Governmental Hub 1-A
Geostationary orbit over Earth
January 4, 2311

“Gentlemen,” Mikael Arasa began, making a careful point to focus on the single Neodog in the room. Minister of Veterans’ Health Development Tyrson was sensitive about any hint of prejudice against him. Such would normally not concern Arasa especially, but the creature was silently and powerfully supported by a significant minority of Beowulf’s corporate medical guilds—The ones who took the silly charter drawn up for them two-hundred years earlier seriously at least. Arasa couldn’t afford to make him, and more importantly his backers, into an enemy.

“Ladies, I didn’t just intend my pledge to restore normalcy as a campaign tactic. We need to bring back something that at least resembles a functioning peacetime economy, for the sake of the Confederation itself. We’re still almost entirely dependent on the military providing infrastructural orders and rebuilding programs. Beowulf hasn’t built a new hospital since the end of last year, and that was the Veteran’s Center we commissioned!”

Supreme Admiral Ivanov and the much less human-looking Minister of Veterans’ Health Development shared an uncomfortable glance. Ivanov coughed slightly, “Grand Marshal, we did propose the construction of the Neodog facility on Beowulf.”

Tyrson snorted, the noise producing a rumbling deep in the creature’s chest that made it sound much more like a growl, “And as I told you at the time, none of us wish to be dragged back to some clinic on Beowulf for any reason.”

“It’s a hospital specifically designed for—“ Ivanov began, only to silence himself when Arasa held up a hand. Ivanov was career Confederation military, serving since the Internecine Wars themselves. It would have been more surprising if his reaction hadn’t been instantaneous and absolute. Tyrson didn’t look as willing to go along with the abrupt end of the conversation, but didn’t comment.

“This sounds like it has already been discussed, and it does little to change the point of my statement, Supreme Admiral. That the military had to propose the idea itself is the worrying part. We are six years removed from the end of the war, and yet we are still operating as if every economic decision has to be processed and approved through the War Planning Board! We need civilian projects, spearheaded and proposed by civilian contractors, and paid for by something other than emergency military funding.”

A large but strangely quiet-looking woman at the end of the table leaned forward. Jolie Chappapaderong was a carryover from the previous administration for the simple reason that Arasa had not considered her posting worth changing. Colonization was not a pressing issue for the Confederation at the moment, and considering how astoundingly poorly her office had handled the lost colony situation back in the 2880s there was little reason to upset the apple-cart in that withering department of the government. There were a good deal of political allies any such move would anger, anyways. Her post would disappear from lack of use in a matter of years, and Arasa had time.

“If I may suggest, Prime Minister, a potential way of alleviating that feeling? People are still worried that things might collapse. Many people, many civilians in particular, have spent their entire lives dominated by either the Internecine Wars or the so-called ‘War of Human Liberation’.” There was an almost physical wince from most of the table at the older, more propagandistic, term for the Human-K’Tarr War.

“People are still worried. One can publicize the downsizing of the military as much as they like, but it’s more of an expected matter accompanying the end of a war that dragged on too long rather than the symbolic gesture that is needed to shake them out of the decades-long rut of drudgery they’ve fallen into.”

Arasa was taken aback. He hadn’t expected such an appraisal from Chappapaderong, hadn’t expected much of anything from her if he was to be honest. She was rather commonly cited as a political appointee, managing the ever-shrinking Department of Colonization primarily for the benefit of her Antifederalist allies in the broader Confederation government.

Politics. It always came back to politics.

“What precisely would you suggest, Minister?” Arasa prodded when the silence after her words went on a bit too long. It seemed like no one else had expected any words to be spoken by the woman either. Arasa surreptitiously glanced to his side. Ivanov was scratching his chin, but seemed to be considering her words. Interesting.

“I would suggest a symbolic gesture. Something large enough to demonstrate the changing situation of the Confederation without requiring we use our military as the impetus. I’d suggest tossing out the executive moratorium on new colonization efforts, and doing so as publicly and dramatically as you can. Dump a hardcopy out an airlock, perhaps?”

Arasa blinked as the large and overly muscled woman giggled softly. She was serious? She was serious. He supposed that it made sense, from a certain perspective. But she wasn’t fully briefed on the whole scope of Confederation activities and operations, so it was understandable she wouldn’t understand why her idea wasn’t going to come about anytime in the immediate future.

Ivanov swooped in to save him from any embarrassing explanations or political gamesmanship. Arasa never had liked the double-speak and misleading required, even if he indulged in it constantly.

“I’m afraid that’s a military impossibility at the moment Minister. With the toll our Naval fleet has taken these last years just from mothballing older vessels we’d be hard-pressed to provide any protection or law for new colonial ventures. Besides that, some seventy percent of the ships we’ve kept in service still need to be cycled through for MDD refits and calibrations within the next year-and-a-half. Diverting yards away from those critical tasks in favor of colony-ship construction would be problematic, at best. Even as it is our patrols on the border of the Neutral Zone are going to do nothing but get weaker every month until we can catch-up on the maintenance situation. Delaying that further would put Confederation Citizens and Civilians in harm’s way.”

The debate would go on, but with that phrase, the decision was already made. The best course of action for the Confederacy and its people had already been decided upon. Arasa regretted the necessity of the harsh slap-down delivered by his underling, but it was necessary for the good of every man, woman and child within the Confederation and beyond. One day, in time, she would understand. One day all of them would understand, and they would thank him.

Merchant Hub 7, Bay F
Geostationary orbit over Schwarzwald
January 11, 2311

“Oh I will never understand this bullshit! Not if I live to the heat-death of the universe itself and absorb every bit of knowledge produced between now and then! “ Tai Fuczkiewicz cursed, sliding out from her place below the still-broken environmental coil and rolling to her feet. The woman looked nothing like her physical age in Earth-years, but sometimes she definitely felt like it. That feeling got particularly bad when she was faced with obstinate machinery, like she was currently. She never had been all that machine-minded. She’d always preferred the more abstract realm of thoughts. That was what made her such an accomplished pilot and a profitable trader, at least in her own estimation. Unfortunately, when one was the only crewmember on a starship, even the captain could be forced to get her hands dirty with maintenance work.

“I’ve replaced your gaskets, sealed the leak, and lowered your power intake to the right levels, so why aren’t you working! You. Should. Be. Working!” Tai punctuated her last words with swift kicks onto the outer casing of the environmental coil. The things were designed to take all kinds of abuse, so there was little risk of her damaging it any further, and it definitely made her feel better.

Her frustration only increased when the readout in front of the coil went from a dull, unpowered grey into a blinking yellow test-pattern as it accepted power once again. The frustration boiled over into a monosyllabic expression of outrage when the test-pattern disappeared and the readout displayed green across the board. The ship was just being a mean-spirited asshole to her, that was all there was to it. That was the only explanation. The machine just didn’t like her and refused to operate the way it was supposed to! It was ridiculous.

“I ought to have just let them send you to the scrappers at the end of the war.” She muttered to the ship as she cleaned her hands off against her work overalls. She wasn’t serious though. If she were going to sell Cannonball she’d have done it already and spared herself untold amounts of labor and frustration putting up with and trying to fix its personality quirks. Which was exactly what the minor faults were at this point. Ships got old enough and they started to show signs of age just like people. In this case, the environmental coils liked to leak and operate under-capacity almost constantly. Not even close to being anywhere near dangerous, since the ship was designed for holding more than a hundred and she rarely went out with more than twenty, but it was still annoying.

Tai sighed and ran one still-greasy hand through her hair. The dirt never bothered her, but she did get frustrated when things didn’t work as they were supposed to. Which had made the last three decades of her life rather problematic, if she were to be honest. But there was no helping that. All the things that had broken on her over the last years were just the breaks, and she’d done what she could to stitch them together again into something that at least resembled a working order. Staring at the jerry-rigged environmental coils, she tried not to dwell on just how messy that ‘working order’ was. At least it worked, right? She’d been living through catastrophe after disaster for so long that things ‘working’ were a decided step up from where they had been before.

It would stop working again. She knew that for a fact. But for now? It worked. That was enough. Until she could get the time and energy to tear things apart more and find out what was really wrong.

Tai glanced at the old-fashioned holographic chronometer display on the back of her palm as she scratched at an itch. Unlike most starship captains, Tai didn’t have an implant of any kind to call up the time on. She’d never seen the need and Cannonball had built-in computers to handle anything she ever might need. She hadn’t even needed those yet, so what help would a computer in her cortex be?

What the chronometer told her invited another curse. She’d been at it longer than she thought, and her new hires were slated to be arriving in mere minutes. There was no time for a shower, not that Tai probably would have taken one anyways. Instead, Tai merely rubbed the grease and dirt around slightly on her hands with a small cloth she had for exactly that purpose. It was the Neutral Zone, after all. There wasn’t anybody dudding up in the nines like they might for a Beowulfian soirée. Practicality was the name of the game out here.

Biting her lip slightly, Tai cast one last simmering look at the environmental coil and then stalked off. If she knew the ship—and she’d been working on it so long she definitely knew it—the thing would be broken again within six or seven months for no discernable reason. But that would be six or seven months of trading and carefree sailing, so it was worth it. There was little else she could do except perhaps sell the old girl, faulty coils and all, and that was something she could never bring herself to do.

It helped that selling Cannonball wouldn’t be worth it. Even if the new owners would give her money up-front, their disappointment would probably lead to a bounty getting put on her head. Tai enjoyed not having anyone in the Zone trying to violently murder her or put a collar around her neck so she could be sold to the highest bidder.

She sighed. Broken things needed to be fixed, there just never seemed to be enough hours in the day. She would get to it, in time. But after the Wars she’d just—still—needed…

Tai shook herself out of the familiar line of thought and began to stretch out the kinks in her back as she ambled through the cargo-bay towards the exit that lead onto the station. Her security for the trip to Gamrey would be showing up on the dock of the station at any moment now.

Not that she or her cargo actually needed security for the trip to Gamrey. But still, appearances were important.
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Wed May 11, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Malshan
Senator

Founded: Sep 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Malshan » Wed May 11, 2016 9:02 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
Merchant Hub 7, Bay F
January 11, 2311

“Oh I will never understand this bullshit! Not if I live to the heat-death of the universe itself and absorb every bit of knowledge produced between now and then! “ Tai Fuczkiewicz cursed, sliding out from her place below the still-broken environmental coil and rolling to her feet. The woman looked nothing like her physical age in Earth-years, but sometimes she definitely felt like it. That feeling got particularly bad when she was faced with obstinate machinery, like she was currently. She never had been all that machine-minded. She’d always preferred the more abstract realm of thoughts. That was what made her such an accomplished pilot and a profitable trader, at least in her own estimation. Unfortunately, when one was the only crewmember on a starship, even the captain could be forced to get her hands dirty with maintenance work.

“I’ve replaced your gaskets, sealed the leak, and lowered your power intake to the right levels, so why aren’t you working! You. Should. Be. Working!” Tai punctuated her last words with swift kicks onto the outer casing of the environmental coil. The things were designed to take all kinds of abuse, so there was little risk of her damaging it any further, and it definitely made her feel better.

Her frustration only increased when the readout in front of the coil went from a dull, unpowered grey into a blinking yellow test-pattern as it accepted power once again. The frustration boiled over into a monosyllabic expression of outrage when the test-pattern disappeared and the readout displayed green across the board. The ship was just being a mean-spirited asshole to her, that was all there was to it. That was the only explanation. The machine just didn’t like her and refused to operate the way it was supposed to! It was ridiculous.

“I ought to have just let them send you to the scrappers at the end of the war.” She muttered to the ship as she cleaned her hands off against her work overalls. She wasn’t serious though. If she were going to sell Cannonball she’d have done it already and spared herself untold amounts of labor and frustration putting up with and trying to fix its personality quirks. Which was exactly what the minor faults were at this point. Ships got old enough and they started to show signs of age just like people. In this case, the environmental coils liked to leak and operate under-capacity almost constantly. Not even close to being anywhere near dangerous, since the ship was designed for holding more than a hundred and she rarely went out with more than twenty, but it was still annoying.

Tai sighed and ran one still-greasy hand through her hair. The dirt never bothered her, but she did get frustrated when things didn’t work as they were supposed to. Which had made the last three decades of her life rather problematic, if she were to be honest. But there was no helping that. All the things that had broken on her over the last years were just the breaks, and she’d done what she could to stitch them together again into something that at least resembled a working order. Staring at the jerry-rigged environmental coils, she tried not to dwell on just how messy that ‘working order’ was. At least it worked, right? She’d been living through catastrophe after disaster for so long that things ‘working’ were a decided step up from where they had been before.

It would stop working again. She knew that for a fact. But for now? It worked. That was enough. Until she could get the time and energy to tear things apart more and find out what was really wrong.

Tai glanced at the old-fashioned holographic chronometer display on the back of her palm as she scratched at an itch. Unlike most starship captains, Tai didn’t have an implant of any kind to call up the time on. She’d never seen the need and Cannonball had built-in computers to handle anything she ever might need. She hadn’t even needed those yet, so what help would a computer in her cortex be?

What the chronometer told her invited another curse. She’d been at it longer than she thought, and her new hires were slated to be arriving in mere minutes. There was no time for a shower, not that Tai probably would have taken one anyways. Instead, Tai merely rubbed the grease and dirt around slightly on her hands with a small cloth she had for exactly that purpose. It was the Neutral Zone, after all. There wasn’t anybody dudding up in the nines like they might for a Beowulfian soirée. Practicality was the name of the game out here.

Biting her lip slightly, Tai cast one last simmering look at the environmental coil and then stalked off. If she knew the ship—and she’d been working on it so long she definitely knew it—the thing would be broken again within six or seven months for no discernable reason. But that would be six or seven months of trading and carefree sailing, so it was worth it. There was little else she could do except perhaps sell the old girl, faulty coils and all, and that was something she could never bring herself to do.

It helped that selling Cannonball wouldn’t be worth it. Even if the new owners would give her money up-front, their disappointment would probably lead to a bounty getting put on her head. Tai enjoyed not having anyone in the Zone trying to violently murder her or put a collar around her neck so she could be sold to the highest bidder.

She sighed. Broken things needed to be fixed, there just never seemed to be enough hours in the day. She would get to it, in time. But after the Wars she’d just—still—needed…

Tai shook herself out of the familiar line of thought and began to stretch out the kinks in her back as she ambled through the cargo-bay towards the exit that lead onto the station. Her security for the trip to Gamrey would be showing up on the dock of the station at any moment now.

Not that she or her cargo actually needed security for the trip to Gamrey. But still, appearances were important.

Merchant Hub 7
January 10, 2311

Fido*, May be Changed Later awoke with a snort from his nap. He sighed and yawned, the respirator inside his helmet hissing as it resisted, pumped his lungs back into equilibrium. The Neodog stretched, bowing his torso and rearing up on his hind legs in a form reminiscent of his more primitive ancestors. Fido* glanced around, taking in the cozy confines of the hotel room in an instant. The spoils from the previous night lay strewn around; shreds of meat glistened on stark white bones and bowls of stinking alcohol lay on the floor, the bed, and the table. A long night of drinking and gorging himself in celebration of his new job. It had been awhile, and Fido* was eager to get back to it.

The wolf sighed, standing and dressing himself once more. He had taken apart his body armor, save for his helmet, for the night; cleaning the suit and maintaining the circuitry in turn kept his body clean was paramount in his mind. Fido* shuddered as an unpleasant memory sprang forth unbidden.

It was year two of his training on Beowulf. He had been misbehaving of late; his instincts were screaming at him to run and fight, but the handlers weren't convinced of his litter's fighting prowess. And he, of course, took his frustration out on the handlers. He punched and bit "accidentally" whenever the opportunity presented itself, pissed on their clothes, and made no secret of his amusement at their anger.

Of course, the handlers retaliated. They stripped Fido* down to his fur and "disciplined" him, conditioning his mind to be more pliable and submissive as they assaulted his body with electricity and chemicals. Fido* remembered feeling pain beyond any he had ever experienced.

That had been the advent of his muzzle. Now it was an integral part of his armor and indeed was the only original piece of it left. When he joined the K'Tarr military forces, they had insisted on upgrading his body armor to match their standards. And, when they got to the helmet, Fido* had refused. And when they insisted, a younger Cat had lost a hand. They left it alone after that.

Fido* turned his attention back to the room, putting his mind and body to work cleaning up the best he could. He could still feel the influence of the alcohol throbbing at the back of his mind, but his medical implants took care of the vast majority of its affects.

Merchant Hub 7, Bay E
January 11, 2311

Fido* loped across the shipyard bay on all fours, pondering silently as to the particular nature of the security detail he had been hired for. Whomever it was that had hired him (he didn't remember and didn't care to) didn't seem to mind his particular handicap, lacking opposable thumbs as he was. An odd choice, but Fido* didn't much care. The pay was good, so he decided that the reasoning was irrelevant.

Before he had left the hotel, Fido* had made sure to mount his small arsenal to the hardpoints on his suit. A midpower blaster rifle mounted over one shoulder with an old slugthrower over the other adorned his armor. However, what really stood out was the pair of obsidian colored claws hanging at his belt. Standing out from his dark green armor, the claws were placed as to allow easy access from his front paws.

Fido* entered the next bay, eyeballing the ships in it and noting the various personnel working on them. He narrowly avoided being sideswiped by a hovercart; the driver leaned out and yelled obscenities at him to which Fido* responded with a low, rumbling growl and a quick narrowing of the eyes to activate a laser sight for his blaster, focusing it on the driver's head. The driver took note and quickly retreated back into the cabin of the cart, dabbing sweat from his brow as Fido* loped away.

Fido* found the ship he'd been hired to shortly after, hearing a particularly loud set of profanities emanating from the cargo bay of a ship nearby. A human female that he assumed to be its captain appeared soon after. He sighed into his respirator and loped over, sitting on his haunches in an emulation of a dog in front of her. "You are the human that hired me for a security detail, correct?" he said. "My name is Fido*, MBCL." Fido* grimaced at his conditioned introduction. The first couple of times he met someone, he always had to refer to himself by his full name.

Another little present from his favorite handlers, of course.
Last edited by Malshan on Wed May 11, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ET IN ARCADIA EGO
A certain therianthropy thing.
*sigh*
My factbook
Rupudska wrote:
Hetland 2 wrote:
You catch on quick. That's why I like you. :)
I'm kidding of course you aren't a thing. You're a person.

Dude, don't insult the werefurry.

Rupudska wrote:RP Sample: Let me in, or we take another third of Mexico.
Rupudska wrote:You're NS's Wolfman, therefore your argument is negated due to bias.
"Sarcasm works so much better when you can look down your fire-breathing nose at someone." -Callistan Sairias
"Lupus magnus est, lupus fortis est, lupus deus est."
I'm an atheist, transhumanist, asexual, cladotherian (Canini) male.
Also known as Canarius, your friendly-ish dog person Lycanthropic American.
Kshrlmnt wrote:Malshan

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Wed May 11, 2016 9:13 pm

Merchant Hub 7, Shuttle Dock
January 11, 2311

Paul Shields was out of place, and he knew it.

He made his way down the metal deck-plated corridors of the merchant hub toward the dock where he was supposed to meet his new employer; he had arrived on the station an hour early to make sure that Paul Luo's men spotted his movements. Now, Paul was beginning to regret that decision. He saw drug smugglers and arms smugglers and every other kind of smuggler imaginable. Big men with rifles and tattoos and implants glinting silver against their shaved scalps glowered at Paul from where they stood guard over low side doors. Paul kept his eyes on the hallway in front of him, for the meek would inherit the Earth, and a man who picked a fight over pride deserved to lose it.

Paul himself was an odd sight amid the crowds of grease-stained worksuits and military surplus. He was only average in height, and hardly imposing, but he had the striking if undefinable sturdiness of manual laborers the galaxy over. But it was his clothes that stood out. Paul wore blue work jeans and a wool flannel shirt in what nobody would recognize as Shields tartan: the pattern was mostly forest-green and white. His leather work boots were old and had turned a vague greyish-brown color. An equally venerable coat of faded-brown sheepskin, with the white wooly fur still attached to the inside, warded off the chill of climate-controlled space stations. Paul wore the coat open, for easy access to the gun strapped to his thigh in a tooled leather holster. Partially hidden by the coat, the big, heavy pistol still glinted: burnished hardwood and nickeled steel.

The traveler was heavy-laden. A voluminous hiking pack, stuffed full, was strapped to Paul's back, and a big duffel bag swung from his left hand. A rifle-length gun bag hung over Paul's right shoulder, next to the pack. All three bags were heavy green canvas reinforced with leather, and clearly handmade. It was strange, Paul thought, that when push came to shove forty-four years of life could be compressed into a backpack, a rifle bag, and a duffel - but it made sense. The things that really mattered - family, community, land - those things couldn't be packed into a bag. Anything that you could carry was ultimately unimportant. There was no need to drag around too much of it.

Paul shrugged the strap of his gun bag higher on his shoulder and trudged on down the corridor. He moved with resignation more than grace: his strength was more quiet stubbornness than anything else. A shaven-scalped tough guy looked over Paul's clothes and opened his mouth to say something, and then Paul looked up, and the skinhead saw the four diagonal, parallel scars that crossed Paul's face in faded white lines. They had obviously been made by a Neodog's claws. The man thought better of whatever he had been about to say.

Besides the scars, Paul knew, he was an ordinary-looking man for a stowaway - which meant that he looked distinctively odd outside the Gibeon Hills. Like most stowaways, he was strangely ageless-looking, weathered by sun and hard living until he could have been anywhere between thirty and sixty. His face was broad, and his hair was sandy and short, and his eyes were the color of the sea, which Paul had never seen.

Paul was good-looking enough, he supposed. Not good-looking enough to attract beautiful Orientals less than half his age in a hotel bar, though. Unworldly as stowaways might have been, Paul Shields had enough common sense to realize that much. He glanced over his shoulder to make sure that Hayatsuki was still following along through the crowd, and smiled sadly to himself as he remembered the previous night. Haya's attempt at seduction had been brazen and yet childish, naive and yet somehow filled with the self-loathing of an old whore. The girl had taken for granted Paul's weakness and lust, right up to the moment when Paul had lowered her into his bed and watched her drift off into an alcohol-fueled slumber.

The truth was, of course, that Paul had acted out of weakness - just not the weakness that Hayatsuki had expected. He had sat by the side of the bed, and watched sleep smooth all the premature cares of age from the girl's young face. Paul had watched her become a child again for a few hours, and he had thought of Tillie and Delia and Joe, asleep with the quilt pulled up to their chins and their small faces flushed with the warmth of the fire. And quietly, Paul had tucked the cheap hotel blanket up under Haya's chin, and clasped his hands against his forehead, and said a prayer for her. The gold of his wedding band had felt cold against the scars upon his face. It all broke Paul's heart with loneliness, and made him feel a little better, too.

And now Haya was following along with Paul. Because, as Paul had remarked only half-jokingly, "If you're going nowhere, you might as well have company on the road."

At length, Paul turned off the space station's main corridor and walked quickly toward the dock. Once, Paul knew, he would have hated a place like this: a lifeless metal prison suspended in the murderous void, cut off from all green and growing things, from everything alive and beautiful. Once, this space station would have been enough to drive Paul half-mad with claustrophobia and dislocation.

That was before Paul had come as close to the mouth of Hell as any man alive, and looked inside, and returned with mind and spirit intact. Now, Merchant Hub Seven didn't seem that scary after all.

Now, at last, Paul emerged into the dock, where shuttle bay doors disgorged crowds of businessmen and mechanics and toughs. With a hunter's patience, Paul stood still amid the flood of people moving to and from the shuttles. He was looking for anyone else standing still: anyone without a place to go. Odds were, that person was waiting for someone. Odds were, that person was Paul's new boss.

Boss. Paul hated that word. He had spent his whole life fighting to ensure that he was his only boss. And that fight ended with the camps and the penal regiments. Maybe this one will end differently if I compromise.

The road to Hell was paved with compromises.

There. No, that was Paul's minder, a skinny teenager with acne who had been sending Paul's whereabouts to the Luo Boys since Paul had arrived in Schwarzwald's capital. Good; the kid would see everything and report that Paul was going off-world. But -

There. A short, ordinary-looking woman, vaguely Oriental-looking, with long dark hair in a ponytail. Paul figured she was about ten years younger than him, but knew better than to assume anything with lowlanders. Their thirst for immortality knew no bounds. The woman was standing near the edge of the dock, watching the shuttle bay doors, obviously waiting.

Paul nodded to Haya, and moved off through the crowd, being careful to stay where the skinny kid could see him. He sensed it when the woman noticed his approach, and he kept coming, and he finally came to a stop in front of her and nodded with what he hoped looked like respect.

"Tai Fuc - Fucz-kie-wicz, I hope." Paul smiled wryly; his teeth were strong and white. "I'm Paul Shields. This is Haya - um - Hayatsuki Sakuro." Paul didn't bother to hide his difficulty with the unfamiliar names of his employer and companion; his accent was an odd lilting twang. "Less'n I've been terribly misled, we're part of the security team for your ship. Are we in the right place?"
Last edited by Reverend Norv on Wed May 11, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 11, 2014
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Thu May 12, 2016 5:08 am

Hayatsuki Sakura
January 11, 2311

My head hurts.

Hayatsuki Sakura walked slightly to the side of her traveling companion, kitted with the only things she brought to Schwarzwald. Never one to stay far away from Sol-Cabal, things went awry the moment she placed too much trust on her advisers. After two days of wandering about, the only assets Sakura had left were her own natural assets, which she has no intention on letting leery men place their hands on, until she got really desperate. Something like the night before, as Sakura took a little too much alcohol, and decided to move in for a target, but hell, it would be the first time she met a man with so much temperance, who would actually reject a girl willing to lose her virginity for the credits in that wallet of his. Her plan failed, alcohol and desperation were never two things to mix together. Carried by her target and shown mercy, Sakura scoffed at the thought as she recalled the previous night's events while washing up, utterly disgusted at her weakness.

How low the bitch of the Sol-Cabal Halfway House has fallen. If her associates has actually known what happened to her up till this very moment, Sakura knew that her reputation would be history. They didn't actually know her real identity, except a nickname coined by her victims. Sakura did not actually remember what it was, just something too insignificant to even place in her memory. Hayatsuki Sakura was known as a businesswoman, a matriarch in charge of a House of fifty with powerful connections, one who could seduce even the most virtuous of Sol-Cabal into bowing to her requests.

Betrayal was the cause of her downfall, the death of a rogue partner confirming Sakura's presence away from Sol-Cabal, as her agents conspired to bring her down. It was funny, that none of them dared to lift a finger against her even when she lay sick after an attempted poisoning. Yet the moment she was off-world, it was as if Sakura has stepped down from her throne, and the pretenders now clawed for the seat of power, funded by Sakura's own fortune. Her fortune, of nearly one billion credits placed in investment portfolios and galactic banks, was now in the hands of her agents. Reason why she could not reclaim her credits? They were invested in many third party offshore accounts by her agents, as Sakura was far too busy growing her network.

Regardless, it was time to return to basics. Hayatsuki Sakura still retained her greatest weapon, her body and mind. Knowledge was power, and if she has to start anew somewhere, Sakura was determined to return back to Sol-Cabal one day, bringing her wrath right behind her to punish those who would betray her. However, Sakura was reluctant, for she knew the danger and chaos which could turn the fabric of lower society upside down.

So here she was, Hayatsuki Sakura wearing an oversized grey t-shirt with grey sweatpants pilfered from a man having fun in a brothel, looking like the athletic girl she was. It wasn't the tight fitting outfit she was used to wearing back in Sol-Cabal in order to make her tougher than the heat generated from the ferrous planet, but it would do in the coldness of space. No weapons, just a simple pack containing a fresh change of clothes, some dried meat and a canteen of purified water. Everything else she has was bartered off, but with the man next to her, Sakura need not worry too much about losing anymore items for the time being.

At least she won't attract that many stares, and her partner seemed to be the magnet this time. She could feel the gazes in their direction as she shifted her slightly frizzled hair to the side, scowling at a beggar whose gaze was settled just under her neck.

"It's Sakura." She said, the rough Kenzo accent used by many thugs in Sol-Cabal obvious in her voice. "Hayatsuki Sakura."
Last edited by Relikai on Thu May 12, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How to be legitimately recognised in NS? Be a proper Roleplayer.
In a community where knowledge should be used to uplift the teachable and be used as an interest instead of a necessity, the arrogant abuse of knowledge is interesting to watch.

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Thu May 12, 2016 10:49 am

Jim "Bock-Bock" Bachmeyer
January 11, 2311

"They've started calling you 'Bock-Bock,' you know?" Santos said as he and I sojourned through the maintenance tunnels, nothing but the dim glow of industrial wall lights and the all-powerful beam of the flashlight that Santos carried.

"Of course I know my new nickname," I responded back, keeping close to Santos in the darkness.

Maintenance tunnels were the preferred way to travel, for someone with my kind of relations with Frank Luo. I might've left the PIB to Colonel Zheng, but Zheng's fuckups were not my fault. Zheng was the one who green-lit that botched assassination on that Confederate diplomat, and Luo had no reason to pin Zheng on me because we followed the chain. When I came back, I had to explain that to Luo in order to get him off my back. I tried going legit with my own club. Hell, I was a celeb in New Kowloon. Then Luo had to knock me off my perch. That's why I was moving through the tunnels, with a scrawny Hispanic security guard as my guide. I used my connections to swing a fake passport under the name of "Jonathan Bravo:" a no-name freelancer. I bribed security to overlook my weapons, as well as a Security escort.

Could I trust Santos? No, but money talks. If not his silence of my whereabouts above Schwarzwald, then as a decent baggage boy, because he was kind enough to carry my big black duffel, and my gun case.

I was clad in a quasi- paramilitary setup to blend in with the merc traffic. A navy blue polo, black rigger belt around my waist, black BDU pants, Confederate combat boots of good quality with my pants tucked into said boots. I had a semi-auto 5.7mm handgun on his right thigh, locked safely in a tactical retention holster. I wore a black plate carrier with ablative inserts and webbing, partly to blend in and partly to protect my own ass. I wasn't the only guy wearing body armor; about every merc on-station was wearing some form of visible body armor. It was a statement to any would-be aggressor that the fucker in the vest was looking for a fight, and for many like myself, the logical result was that no one would mess with each other unless they had a damn good reason, and the force to back themselves up. Yeah, I blended in fine.

I had four bags. I kept my old Confederation assault ruck on my back; that thing was chocked full of gear. I had a long, hardened plastic case in my left hand. You can guess what's in that thing. Santos had the other piece-case, along with my clothes in a black duffel bag. Weapons, clothes, cash, various pieces of military equipment, ammunition, drugs; that was all that I had on me when Luo's thugs shot up my pad.

I flew too close to the sun and learned that I was living in a state of "magical realism." At the time, things were going so great that I got my head stuck in the clouds. I mouthed off to Luo when he tried to extort me, and unlike in organized crime in areas controlled by law and order, New Kowloon allowed for "summary decisions." New Kowloon had a police force for keeping people from causing too much damage and for ripping off Luo's enemies, so naturally I couldn't count on the agency that I had helped to build. I killed eight men to get off-world; wounded many more.

Before long, Santos and I were out of the maintenance tunnel, and I moved with the crowd, making sure to compact myself to avoid any possible spotters. I didn't know if I had been made or not, but Luo definitely had guys looking for me. I had acquired work aboard a ship: Cannonball. Standard security job, but it was a good place as any. I could lay my crap down and have a steady place to rest my head for a bit, so why not? I looked around, and saw a man that I clearly could ID as a "Stowaway," standing with some weird looking Asian girl, and a middle-aged Asian woman. I could tell by his clothes that he wasn't your typical spacer. I crossed paths with more than a few "Volunteers" during the war to be able to spot a Stowaway from a distance. The Asian woman; that was the boss. The younger girl looked way too green for my liking. There was a Neo-Dog, too. Big-fucking-whoop. I've enough of the marvels of military technology to fulfill my patriotic, technological fervor.

"Tai Fuckawitz," I said aloud.

"Huh?" Santos said as he put his flashlight away, working to navigate the crowd with me.

"My boss," I said, keeping my eyes focused on the foursome of individuals as I traversed the crowd.

"Ah," Santos replied.

Before I knew it, I was out of the crowd and in the vicinity of the foursome. I gave a nod to each of the four, and once I had made my presence known, Santos dropped my crap and split. I chuckled as he walked off; probably didn't care to be my baggage boy anymore. It wasn't like I couldn't carry that much crap, but I was laden down as it was. I picked up the duffel bag first, slinging its strap over my left shoulder, and then I picked up the second gun case in my right hand.

"Bravo," I said, looking at the foursome, before focusing on Tai. "Jonathan Bravo. Forgive me if I don't attempt your last name, ma'am."
Last edited by Cylarn on Thu May 12, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Thu May 12, 2016 7:44 pm

Kaja McDonagh
Merchant Hub 7, Shuttle Dock D
Schwarzwald, Geostationary Orbit
January 11, 2311

Kaja walked into the merchant hub alone, musing about her newly-found job. It was simple enough: Work as security for a small trade ship. Just in case some pirates were cargo-hungry enough to attack a small trader. Big cargo ships had big rewards, but even larger risks as they were often heavily escorted. Small ones were rarely worth it unless they had something really valuable, in which case the military would handle it themselves. Medium ones were usually the most often targeted, that's why the jobs there were high-pay and high-competitive.

This job wasn't one of those, but it was competitive enough and paid well enough that Kaja would be able to take a small break out-system before taking a new job outside of Schwarzwald. Or better yet setting up outside of Scwarzwald. What a fucking concept, getting away from this planet. Too cold for her tastes, but then again being from Dionysus almost every planet was too cold.

Even this merchant hub was cold. That's why she'd put on layers. Grey-blue military cargo pants tucked into medium brown all-weather combat boots and a forged obsidian knife in the left boot. Medium brown reinforced leather belt with a simple thumb-break leather holster, with a Stowaway-made .45 semiautomatic pistol in the holster. Black close-fitting plate carrier over a grey-blue long-sleeve blouse, the both of them under a brown tanker jacket bearing the crowned tank of the Dionysian Royal 1st Armored Corps on the shoulder, the pegasus-mounted cavalryman of the Dauphin's Cuirassiers below it. A medium-sized bag was on her back, a duffel bag was slung over her shoulder, and a smallish rifle case containing a smallish rifle was in her opposite hand.

She hummed a little tune. In another life, she had opened concerts to crowds of hundreds of thousands to it. Nowadays she hummed it before big decisions, or before taking on a mission - for luck.

"D... E... F... there it is. The..." Kaja paused to check her contract, "Cannonball. An unfortunate name for a ship."

She quickly approached those few around the ship. Besides the older Asian human woman who was clearly the owner of the ship, there was a Neodog (from Beowulf, duh), a Stowaway, a much younger Asian human woman, and someone who was clearly from Beowulf. The others she couldn't quite place. The younger woman was probably from somewhere in the Neutral Zone proper, the older was probably from ol' Terra Firma, and the Stowaway... well Stowaways could be from anywhere.

"I see some of us have already arrived. Kaja McDonagh, at your service, Miss Fuczkiewicz."
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Gunrado
Attaché

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gunrado » Thu May 12, 2016 10:13 pm

Merchant Hub 7, Hotel Le Profond
Geostationary Orbit over Scharzwald
January 11, 2311

Lazarus Barbe slept soundly, his jaw open and ajar, a small puddle of drool slowly and disgustingly gathering on the pillow beneath his head. He had payed a hefty price for one of the finest "hotels" on the station, and while he was not expecting much from the usual cesspools that passed for dwellings above Scharzwald, he had to admit that the place surprisingly met his standard of luxury. Memories flickered through his sleeping mind.

The hot, white morning sun had already completed its ascent, the vivid, hefty hues of red dawn now given way to the normal light pink sky of New Bourgogne. The sole city of the planet, Perle Rouge, was already alive and bustling, the calls of auctioneers ringing in the slave markets under the downtown spires of the city. The city was a technological marvel of its time, and its carefully planned and cultivated design still stood out in beauty. The buildings of the city, all made of a light red marble and elaborately carved with myths and motifs of every culture of Old Earth, stood on artificially created hills and valleys of metamorphic rock, lines of roseate shades cut by the crimson waters of the sea. All of the landforms were suspended in the waves by underwater mechanical propulsion, allowing the city to slowly drift anywhere among the the planet, and often causing confusion for would-be arrivals. Even a superfluous city wall (serving the sole purpose of sending a message of exclusivity) was built out of the red marble, with its towers matching the other buildings of the city with their delicately sculpted lotus-figured roofs. The building style had been inspired by Angkor Wat and was payed for by one of the original CEOs of the ruling Ruby Family corporate trust, Keo Chanvatey, who hailed from Cambodia.

On a hill on the outskirts of Perle Rouge, the inhabitants of the Barbe family villa (named Barbed Mount by Lazarus' great-grandfather, who was known for his love of stupid puns) were also already awake. In the central courtyard beside a cherub fountain, Lazarus, aged fifteen, broke his fast with his six-year-old brother Vespasian and eighteen-year-old sister Persephone. Before their silken reclining couches sat a black marble table with gold floral patterns, on which an assortment of apples, pears, oranges, bananas, mangos, grapes, soups, dried meats, oysters, fresh-baked bread, coffee, tea, juice, and any other fanciful appetizer one could conjure up, sat on gilded platters. Not that the diners didn't have their own plates either. Lazarus, starving, tore through a plate of flank steak strips and spinach leaves drenched in a savory umami sauce, a sunny-side, seasoned ostrich egg (a New Bourgogne delicacy) cracked on top. Lazarus was so ravenous he barely noticed his sister's loud weeping from her side of the table.

When the news first broke-that Persephone's husband Alcibiades was the latest casualty of the Feline War, as the citizens of New Bourgogne had taken to calling the Human-K'Tarr War- Persephone was rightly devastated. As was custom for a widow, she wore only black and wore dark makeup, her brunette locks covered by a shawl. She was inconsolable, and Lazarus felt a great deal of sympathy for her.

But it had been two months, the mourning period had passed, and now Persephone's incessant crying only reminded Lazarus of a brutal war he would be entering once he came of age. It irritated him, her bawling, constantly reminded him and everyone else in the household of their possible encroaching mortality. Even young Vespasian had stopped trying to cheer up his sister, and now he absent-mindedly munched on fruit while staring at the koi fish in the fountain.

The wailing, accompanied by the rustling of the garden plants in the warm summer breeze and the waters of the fountain, was interrupted by the loud, boisterous voice of Lazarus' mother Severin as she entered from the atrium with a servant, Niobe. Niobe, once a feisty young slave in her youth, was given to Severin when they were both teenagers. While at first the young mistress had trouble breaking her new thrall in, over the years Niobe had become Severin's constant companion and confidante; Severin had even paid for a life-prolong for the woman. It was a fact that Niobe liked to flaunt in front of the other drudges, and even the children at times, though now that Lazarus had grown older a few ordered whippings from him had put a stop to that.

"I will have to make sure that purple velvet dress I had bought on Monday is properly fitted before noon," Severin ordered to Niobe as the servant woman nodded, "Send a man to ask Cornelia Rousseff to send that good little tailor she owns over in a half hour's time. And the sea urchins still have not been deliver-"

Severin stopped herself as she approached the table and her sobbing daughter, rolling her eyes. "Dear daughter, the sniveling will most definitely have to stop by the party this evening. Sulk about all you like, but I will not allow you to damper my guests' good spirits with your dying cat's calls. Gods know I have paid the musicians enough."

"How could you say that?!" Persephone lashed out as she lifted her head to meet her mother's eyes, her black mascara now dripping down her cheeks. "My husband taken from me by those dreaded animals! And you-"

"Aw, poor, poor child," Severin gently dismissed Persephone's yelling as she sat next to her daughter and put an arm around her, her voice now more motherly but retaining the hint that she really didn't care about the matter at all, "It is only your first husband. And Alcibiades' family did not even return your dowry, the cheap bastards they are." She snapped her fingers at a wine bottle on the table and Niobe quickly poured a cup.

Persephone lifted her head from her mother's shoulder and gave her a look of complete shock. "You…do not touch me!" she retorted as she moved away from her mother's grasp and quietly continued to cry into her black silk shawl. Severin shrugged her shoulders, and turned her attention instead to her two sons.

"I hope my sweet boys fare better than their sister on this beautiful day," she said with a smile as she took a sip of the wine.

"Yes, mommy!" Vespasian beamed. Lazarus began to complain. "Do we really have to all attend this 'gathering' of yours tonight? Sulla Pascal has obtained one of those neodogs through some connection of his father's, and we wanted-"

"Oh please, there will be other days when you can play with one of those vile creatures and that urchin Sulla Pascal," Severin lectured, "You are going to be a man soon, and that means you are going to start to have to represent this family-"

"Why, then, is father not attending!"

"Your father is busy with business matters far beyond your knowledge," Severin said matter-of-factly, Lazarus sneering but backing down nonetheless. Severin smirked.

"Where is papa now, mommy?" Vespasian chimed in.

"At a meeting with the board of directors, my love," Severin replied, "One day, when you are a big strong man, you will understand." She spoke with a playful tone but directed her eyes in seriousness to Lazarus.

She rose. "I shall leave you for now, my little hooligans. Come now Niobe," the matron said as she strode toward her private quarters, her lackey in tow.

It was silent for a moment, before Persephone lifted her head and looked at the table.

"I hate that wretched witch!" she shouted to no one in particular.

"I hate grapes!" Vespasian shouted back as he launched the half-chewed piece of fruit at his sister, pelting her sleeve as she rose her arm in defense. She lowered her arm, her mouth open and her face incredulous.

Lazarus burst out laughing, and so did Vespasian. Persephone's mouth slowly broke into a smile, and soon, even she was laughing, all of them laughing uncontrollably as they started to pick the green and red grapes from the table and throw them at each other. "Stupid child," his sister said plainly, wiping the mascara from her face as she giggled.

Lazarus awoke in a start, still grinning as if he were there again, all those years ago in Perle Rouge. He glanced at the electronic clock at the bedside. "Almost time for me to go," he said to himself in the darkness. But first this whore ought to be seeing herself out, he thought at he glanced at the sleeping figure beside him.

He shook the prostitute awake, her face confused as she looked at him and rubbed her eyes. "Run along now," Lazarus commanded, "the credits are already in your account."

January 11, 2311

Lazarus made his way through the various hangers and starship bays to the ship of his employer, the Cannonball. He dressed in typical wealthy New Bourgogne fashion, with a black shirt, open quilted burgundy jacket, and black combat boots, loose pants the dark color of wine tucked into them. Around his neck he wore a silver chain with a small silver medallion of a red pearl resting in the brush. He held black Italian leather bags carrying his weapons and other essentials. Usually, the sort of people dressed like that in the rough stations and planets of the NZ were likely to be mugged, murdered, or raped. But Lazarus' identifying necklace, along with his general demeanor, marked him out as a scion of New Bourgogne-and in the NZ, that meant a potential employer, especially where slavers were concerned.

Not that Lazarus would worry if someone should get too confrontational. On his hip was a huge, scoped, black revolver-type blaster that glimmered when the light grazed it.

With his lordly walk and sharp glare, Lazarus had an appearance that suggested both grace and arrogance. Mercenaries and smugglers offered contracts or slaves as he proceeded toward them, and grimaced as he passed by without the simplest acknowledgment. "Classic Perle Rouge asshole," he heard one bald, eye patched merc whisper to a comrade. Lazarus paid them no heed. Just like my mother used to say, he thought to himself, Proles will be proles.

He soon reckoned the Cannonball group as he neared them.

Two women of Asiatic stock, one normal enough, who he figured to be the captain, and one young, but clearly troubled. You could see it in her eyes.

A neodog-but one of the older types, just like Sulla Pascal used to have. Lazarus wondered if it was as savage as they were reputed to be.

One of those religious yokels who were infamous for their historic sneaking onto colonial ships. Stowaways. They made for poor slaves, and his father always said they seemed to die in a flash compared to life-prolonged humans, but Lazarus always had a bizarre admiration for their defiance. They were hard to break. This one looked tough, but dull. Perhaps a former day laborer of some sort. Lazarus wondered what the hell one of them was doing out here.

Only two of the group looked remotely like the sort of mercenary he was expecting, hardened soldier types, if the body armor indicated nothing else. A man and a woman, the woman vaguely familiar. They both seemingly had also just arrived and introduced themselves.

A strange assortment.

Lazarus briskly strode toward the group and put down his bags before crossing his arms before them. "This is the Cannonball, I presume?" he said brusquely, before assuming a wry grin.
Last edited by Gunrado on Thu May 12, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Putting my flag right here just in case I lose it like I always do: http://i.imgur.com/aP1CA25.png

“I don't want learning, or dignity, or respectability. I want this music, and this dawn, and the warmth of your cheek against mine.”
-Rumi

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 17, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Fri May 13, 2016 7:06 am

January 11, 2311

Schwarzwald, a hotbed of scum and villany if anyone ever saw one. Though far from the exception among the stars of the Neutral Zone, the planet and its orbital platforms seemed like one of the more reputable hubs, at least enough to have kept off total devastation as was the case of the three ill-fated 'lost colonies'. Stepping through the throngs of disreputable folk as he kept away from eye contact, Vikram kept a keen watch over his latest assignment. Everywhere, evidence of the degeneration that had festered in the Zone riddled the streets, from drug peddlers selling their wares or shaken up by debt collectors, wayward beggers and scantly clad prostitutes on the street, and gangs of ungainly-looking thugs waiting around to hustle some rich kid dumb enough to walk around without a secure entourage. It was the kind of lawlessness that menaces the K'Tarr and Terran borders, grating on the conscience of even the most inward-looking of men. But their concern was something to be feared more. Much as Vikram hated to admit, seedy hives like these were preferable to a worse fate - silence in suffering at the hands of a far more powerful hegemony. It was a lesson bitterly learnt by the Ayodhyans in their time under K'Tarr rule, when their true nature was revealed in a moment of abject heresy. Just for the deviance of several from their faith, Ayodhya was made an example by fanatics dominating the planet outside their homeworld's watch. Worlds like Schwarzwald, who could compare the carnage inflicted by the Confederation on their planet, had understandably better opinions of the K'Tarr. For Ayodhya, no amount of collaboration would could convince the archaic priesthood of the K'Tar Church to accept their faith's continued existence, let alone allow it to 'steal' the souls of their believers.

Even then, the K'Tarr apostate, derogatorily called the 'Lost' by orthodox K'Tar believers, could scarcely imagine aligning himself and his people to such immoral vermin. Poor and isolated as they were, the Ayodhyans would never have tolerated such vile acts under their watch. He himself would have cut all of them down had he been on home ground, with the mandate of the law on his side. Sadly, law is but a figment of imagination here in Schwarzwald, and Vikram was well aware of the consequences, a dour indifference carefully concealing what outrage he still had to temper for his own good. Looking back, he was still very surprised how much the Neutral Zone as a whole paled in legitimacy compared to Ayodhya. Both the K'Tarr and the Confederacy, he could only admit, were right not to recognize any of the wayward drug lords as legitimate rulers. But to lump Ayodhya among the bunch was an insult in itself. Much as corruption remains rife among the bureaucracy, he would scarcely think that the monarchy would stoop so low as condone such behaviour, let alone engage in it.

"'Cannonball'," he finally noticed the ship's name, stepping towards the small crowd of lowlifes that had gathered to aid the captain, "and scarcely fit to ram a cloud... Miss Fuczkiewicz, I presume. Ladies, gentlemen; Vikram Shukrimnar. Pleased to meet your acquaintance, all of you," he greeted with a curt bow.

From the looks of it, Vikram might fancy his chances with this lot, for once. Maybe. Certainly, the last did not do as well, not the least now that they had given his blades a nice sharpening. Hopefully, he would not need to resort to this, having his fair share of underhanded gutting of late. Though as a K'Tarr among the company of Terran-based lifeforms (even the Neodog), he too was, not without basis, a target of suspicion for anyone on Schwarzwald.
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Factbook (under revamping): MT | PT
Characters: Imperial Registry of Houses (PT: Historical Archives)
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates
National Symbols (Applies for both MT/PMT and FT): Flag (Elaborate)|Anthem

/人 ‿‿ 人\ { Make a contract with me, and save me from the Homu-devil! )

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Fri May 13, 2016 11:57 am

January 11, 2311

Nikolai hated space stations. They were crowded, dirty, full of the worst of humanity had to offer, and occasionally the worst of other races too. He'd finished his last contract here over a week ago; work had been... Difficult to find. But given the number of ships, it had only been a matter of time before he'd found work once again. He'd blown most of his previous contract's payout on a hotel room, namely the small cube of a room he woke up in.

It wasn't a nice room; a steel-framed bed and mattress, a chest of drawers he'd left empty, instead dumping his meagre possessions in a pile on the floor. Various faded T-shirts of various colours, some faded trousers that might've once been khaki but now were just brown, the large rucksack that he kept various other assorted bits of clothing in, a serrated combat knife and a 5.8mm pistol. Lydi sat at the end of the bed, and as Nikolai sat up, rubbing his head, Lydi poked her head up. He smiled slightly, and reached into the rucksack, pulling out a piece of meat sealed in plastic. He tore open the plastic and threw it towards Lydi, who caught it in her mouth, letting the plastic drop to the floor before biting in happily.

Nikolai smiled slightly as he dressed; faded grey T-shirt, faded khaki jeans, some green boots he'd stolen a long time ago. The knife went through a belt-loop on the left of the jeans, while the gun went in a holster on his right. Over it all he pulled a badly-worn brown greatcoat, leaving the front open. He piled the rest of his stuff into the rucksack, an assortment of thin and battered books, Lydi's food, some faded clothes, a bag full of several magazines of ammo, a random energy bar he'd found somewhere. Lydi padded over and patiently waited for him to clip her lead to her collar. He did, and wrapped the lead around his right arm, making sure he had a decent grip.

Satisfied he was ready, he sauntered out of the hotel, keeping to the back alleys to avoid the crowds. Normally this would be a bad idea, given that the alleys were home to all manner of gangs, dealers, muggers and whatever else lurked there, but he despised crowds. So he kept to the alleys, making sure to keep his left hand near his knife while Lydi simply glared at everyone. They were filthy, yes, but much less crowded, and Nikolai emerged vaguely near where his employer, a 'Miss Fuczkiewicz', would apparently be waiting.

It wasn't that long of a walk, and soon enough he spotted a rag-tag assortment of people gathering outside of a ship. He blinked, checking the name. Cannonball. Yeah, that was it. He moved towards them slowly, silently checking them over. A Neodog, huh. Two Asian women, some man in odd clothing, another man in military clothing, and a third man in expensive-looking (at least to him) clothing. A woman in military uniform, and...

That was a Kitten. Stay calm, Nikolai, stay calm. He muttered to himself, repeating the mantra before he arrived at the group.

"Miss Fuczkiewicz?" He managed the name without too much butchering. "Nikolai Rykov, and my dog Lydi. Here for the contract, like the rest of these guys I'm guessing." He glared slightly at the Kitten. Of course this contract would have a minor catch. They all did.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Sun May 15, 2016 12:07 am

Rey Martel, AKA Z-Beta-17
Merchant Hub 7
January 11, 2311

Rey opened their mouth wide and yawned. The taste of grease, sweat, and ship fuel glided over their tongue. Space stations were always so dirty -- with no natural breeze, the air was relatively stagnant, and as a result they usually had an unpleasant aroma. Of course, by now Rey was used to it -- the pleasant smell of rain and vegetation, so common the surface of many planets, was almost foreign. Space stations and big cities were among the best places to find work, so it had been months since Rey had gone out into an isolated spot in nature. They missed it sometimes, their home planet. As a child on Adlivun, they'd often leave the city during their leisure time to lay down on a bed of moss and watch the floating, gelatinous euryale drift just above the ground. They'd breathe in the cold air, listen to the whistling of the wind and, in the distance, the roar of urban life. Occasionally they'd toss a stone at one of the euryale and watch as the creature caught it with its sticky, trailing tentacles. Eventually, it would realise that the stone was inedible, and drop it.

Rey was brought back to the present by a loud clanging noise. All around them, they could feel the heat of warm bodies, resolute in the face of the space station's chill. The air was noticeably thicker than on Adlivun, to accommodate those used to a denser atmosphere. They heard someone shouting to passersby about some product. Damn, this place was busy. Schwarzwald and her space stations were far too overcrowded.

As they readjusted the duffel bag slung over their shoulder, Rey tugged the front of their grey flatcap down over the twin, small horn-like nubs protruding from their hairline. They were clad in simple attire: faded black jeans that fit snugly, but loosely enough to allow a comfortable range of motion; a fire-resistant grey windbreaker hanging open over a loose-fitting black t-shirt; black combat boots. A holster hung from their black leather belt at their right hip, holding a standard semiautomatic pistol -- nothing special, but it did the job. On the right, they had a combat knife. Rey travelled light: practically everything they needed, they had in the duffel bag. The only other luggage they had was a rifle case, also hanging from their shoulder.

Soon enough, they'd located the Cannonball and her captain. Already gathered around the ship was an assortment of ragtag mercenaries. A few jumped out at Rey: a neodog, a K'Tarr, a man easily recognisable as a Stowaway, even from a distance. Stowaways were an odd bunch, to be sure -- the lot of them were strangely religious, and refused to accept scientific advancement. It was an incomprehensible worldview; scientific achievement had gifted intelligent life with so many wonderful things. It was strange, in any case, to see one up here.

As Rey approached, their horns began to pick up traces of zeta radiation; especially, it seemed, from the Stowaway. Interesting. They'd come across many people over the past several years who emitted the radiation, and it usually meant that the person in question had spent a good amount of time on one of the three destroyed worlds before being evacuated. The man must have been a combatant.

"Tai Fuczkiewicz?" Rey joined the loose circle that had formed around their employer. "I'm Rey Martel. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Mon May 16, 2016 12:29 pm

Marina Delgado
Merchant Hub 7
January 11, 2311

One of the things that bothered her the most about orbital stations was the day/night cycle. They all did it differently. Some had artificial day and night imposed across the whole platform, from end to end, trying to force people to live as they did on the planet below. Others would simply have the cycle in public areas and leave personal quarters alone, hoping that people would still have the sense to follow the intended way of the world they were floating over. Some, particularly the smaller ones, didn't even dim the lights, simply announcing times. Frankly, Marina thought the whole idea was ridiculous. Why have day and night at all? Even before humans left Earth they had been experimenting with 18-hour sleep cycles, napping and siestas in the middle of the day, and all sorts of alternate ways to sleep- and that was back when there was no option to "turn off" the sun! It was a futile gesture, a subconscious attempt of humankind's to fight the future and defy the evolution and adaptation of the species.

As she walked- sauntered, really, without much sense of purpose nor any inclination to do sightseeing on what was a very bare-bones orbital hub station- towards the hangar where her new employer was parked, she reflected briefly on this and noted, not for the first time, that she'd begun to consider herself more than human. Perhaps it was simply some grain of defiance against the pan-humanist propaganda and ethics of the Terran Confederation, taught to her from a young age and reinforced in her training, that she knew instinctively was whitewashing at its worst. It was the TC's big lie- that humanity was one singular species, static, unchanging despite the far-flung extrasolar diaspora's evolution to fit their new homeworlds. The idea that MD troopers were the same as everyone else was a core concept drilled into Marina and her battle buddies, but it wasn't true, not really. They were something more.

Of course, they still looked the part. Marina joined the little gaggle that had gathered in the vessel hangar, looking for all the galaxy like an entirely ordinary and not at all dangerous woman. Her clothing was unassuming and practical, items like a cerulean sweater and grey scarf geared towards fending off the eternal chill of space. She carried no weapons on her person, and only one small gym bag. To any stranger looking at her, it would seem like she'd wandered into the wrong area. But her employer would likely know exactly what sort of person she was. In point of fact, anyone in the group who knew about people like her- unlocked MD users- might figure it out.

"I'm here on contract from SICO." she announced in an even, lightly accented tone that seemed, like most Khalkinites, to be trying and failing to decide whether it liked the Siberian steppes or the Venezuelan llanos. Her face was like a poker player's- giving up few details about her thoughts, like her mind was disconnected from all the little muscles that twitch when you think and so give away your feelings on something. "Which one of you is Ms Fuczkiewicz?" she inquired, her vaguly Slavic-tinted accent gliding much more smoothly over the word than some of the others' mangled attempts.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue May 17, 2016 5:55 am

“I am Doctor Tachiko Fuchida and we’ll be learning how to make reality our bitch this semester!

‘Reality’. Have any of you ever sat down and really thought about what that word means? About what this thing called ‘reality’ even is? Is it determined—or even affected—by our interpretation? Or are, as Feynman thought, natural processes going to occur in the same manner regardless of our observation of them? Is reality bounded by any concrete barriers? Is quantum instability even part of reality? Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality!

Sorry.

Where was I? Oh yes—meaning! Over the next semester I hope you all begin to ask questions about the meaning of…Well, ‘life’ really as a whole, along with your place in it. Your interpretation of it. Whether it is contributed to at all by silly rules like not drinking hard liquor before noon...College is supposed to be a time you do such things anyways—the contemplation of your place in the world, not the drinking before noon, though as one tends to contribute to the other I actively encourage and participate in both—Anyways, it should be little matter to expand the exercise of thinking about your place to a more scientific field.

If you want my advice—and this is my advice not anything endorsed by Geatland County Community College—this all becomes much simpler if you just think of what we discuss in this class as ‘magic’. Take a long step away from everything you’ve learned already, because it might just drive you a bit batty if you don’t. As perhaps best exemplified by myself!”
-Tachiko Fuchida introducing herself to an advanced physics class on Beowulf, 2091.

The Neo-dog had been the first to arrive. Loping into a spot near her and introducing himself. Tai couldn't help but start slightly at his name, and nodded an apology almost as soon as she did. She would never understand certain people's sense of humor.

Tai was almost as startled by the next pair to show up. At first she'd pegged Hayatsuki as the scarred man's slave, and she'd been on the verge of reminding him she was a SICO-approved trader and couldn't transport that kind of thing for him. Apparently that wasn't the relationship, however. As the other woman made clear a moment later when she corrected Paul's introduction. That was a relief.

The others began to filter in, and Tai greeted every one with the same near-blank examination as she had the first few, though that cover was hard to maintain for the K'Tarr. Vikram seemed quite far-removed from what she'd come to expect of the species, and she couldn’t help but cock her head slightly at him as she tried to hide a search for some indication of his rank in the Church’s hierarchy. Finding none she abandoned the matter with a mental note. Heretics were a decidedly uncommon phenomenon.

Some of them had much more trouble with her name than others. That didn't surprise her. She'd had trouble with it as well for some time, so she couldn't hold it against them.

Tai was surprised out of her silent examination at the relative formality from the one of the arrivals. The woman didn’t look all that remarkable, but Tai almost involuntarily bowed her head slightly in response to Rei’s greeting. "The pleasure is mine."

Tai shook her head at the overdone courtesy. Old habits died hard. "In answer to your questions, I am Tai Fuczkiewicz, and the pleasure goes for all of you. As many of you have already guessed, this is where you’re supposed to be. And-" Tai raised an eyebrow at those who'd had difficulty pronouncing the name, "-I'm not picky about you using my last name. 'Tai' will do just fine, or 'Captain Tai' if you're not a fan of the whole ‘brevity’ thing or happen to have some Beowulfian attachment to formality."

Tai turned and gestured at the Cannonball in its docking slip. "This is the Cannonball. And as old as it is I'd prefer you not bad-mouth it in my hearing range. She's served me well for longer than some of you have been alive and I'm afraid I've grown a bit attached to the old girl in my dotage."

Tai shook her head at her own joke and turned back to the new security. She looked them over with a freshly critical eye. When had she gotten into the habit of picking up strays on these little intersystem runs? It wasn't like she really needed the 'security' they provided with the full weight and force of SICO backing her up already. She supposed it was just some charitable remnant. It helped a few people run away from their problems for a little while. Who was she to deny people the same refuge she'd taken?

"In any case, come in and I can give you the tour of the ship and show you the accommodations—such as they are. I’ve got undocking scheduled in eight hours and the station authorities get annoyed sometimes by large groups of armed people on the docks, so I’d like to get a move on. I always try to keep the authorities happy with me.” Tai left off that she did so because paying bribes and hush-money to the gangs who styled themselves police always annoyed her. In the Neutral Zone that didn’t even need to be said. ‘Law enforcement’ wasn’t interested in enforcing the law unless there was a profit in it, and everybody knew it.

The trip into the open cargo bay didn’t take long, but Tai took the chance to speak anyways. "Your job will be very simple. A few of you keeping watch in the cargo bay and a few others watching my security systems while we’re docked will be all that’s required. I don’t expect any problems, but SICO cuts me a break on the insurance if I have dedicated security, so lucky you. The two-week trip to Grestin will be nothing but downtime. When we arrive in Grestin you do essentially the same thing. I believe the expression most folks in the Zone use is ‘easy money’.” Tai’s momentarily ice-cold tone made it clear what her opinion about ‘most folks in the Zone’ was. “And if any of you have objections to working with each other, you’re in for a rough time because I don’t care.”

“Here we are.” Tai continued, waving one arm around the cargo bay of the Cannonball. Besides being in desperate need of a new coat of paint and a general cleaning, the massive room was thoroughly unremarkable and surprisingly unfilled. Most ships preferred to travel packed to the gills with everything they could afford. The small collection of shipping containers in one corner of the bay was silent testament to the fact that Tai did not share that tendency. It also raised the question of how she could afford to operate an entire ship and hire security if she was moving such a small cargo.

Tai knew the relatively empty bay raised questions, but had learned to sidestep them easily. She kept walking through the bay towards the door into the central part of the ship where crew-quarters were, encouraging the people following her to do the same. “The official story for you folks is that I’m transporting farm equipment to Grestin. Whether you believe that story or not is up to you, it’s really none of your business. I can, however, direct you to SICO inspection and insurance certificates which guarantee we aren’t moving slaves. So if you have any moral compulsions on that particular topic, consider them salved.” Tai was careful not to look at the man from New Bourgogne as she explained that. The planet had a reputation, she couldn’t help but assume the man would share the lack of issue with slavery so many others from there had.

Tai placed a hand onto the door’s scanner and stepped through as it opened. “Through here are the crew quarters. Since I make up the entirety of the ship’s actual ‘crew’ you can all have your own cabin if you want one. You’re also free to arrange yourselves however…creatively…you wish. I’m not here to play watchdog over your personal lives. So as long as it doesn’t break anything or end in somebody getting hurt so badly they need medical attention, have at thee with wild abandon.”

“Now, if all of you would please put your hand on the pad as you come through? I can set it to give you access around the ship. The only place on-board it won’t let you is into the engine-room in the back. I’ve got a very minor zeta radiation leak and I’d much prefer none of you run into that or make it worse with some kind of amateur maintenance.”

The lie, like so many others, came incredibly simply to her after so many times repeating it. There wasn’t any zeta radiation leak. How could there be? But it presented the people she was hiring with the proper incentive to stay away from the engine-room, and that was all she needed.

“Any last-minute questions or desire to back out, speak it now.”
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Tue May 17, 2016 12:25 pm

Hayatsuki Sakura

The orphan of Sol-Cabal nodded as she observed her future 'shipmates', seven humans, a Neodog and a Furry who she saw for the first time in her life. There were never many, if any, Furries in Sol-Cabal, and their video feeds were severely censored to only focus on human affairs around the Galaxy. She heard of them though, and was not entirely weird out by what she could ignorantly describe as a talking cat. The Furry, or properly called a K'tarr, seemed... gentlemanly enough, although Sakura did sense more than a little animosity from the other members of the crew. Was it because she looks small? Well, those were the thoughts of her first victims back in Sol-Cabal.

Hayatsuki Sakura, that small, skinny, frail whore who was easy to trick, easy to intimidate, easy to exert power over be it by force or by raping her brains out. First impressions don't usually last when it was Sakura holding her knife or blaster on the man's throat, seductively moving her hips on his groin just to tease and humiliate him more. Sakura always made sure that they could have that moment of bliss, for it was during their pleasure, that a man's weakness was shown. Of course, she often had to replace an article which they simply enjoyed tearing, but the resulting information she often gathered was worth probably a thousand of those clothes. Heck, in the heat of Sol-Cabal, sometimes lesser was better.

"Nice ship, Captain Tai." Sakura commented as she placed her hand on the scanner. The crew's quarters was decent, and Sakura was sure that she could use an hour to do some simple shopping. A nice bit of drink, and hopefully Sakura could leech a little off Paul or the Captain. Perhaps not Paul, the man has already rebuffed her advances, and Sakura did not survive by not learning from her mistakes.

"Fifty credits..." Sakura muttered as she pried open the wallet she liberated from a street punk. Fifty. Enough for a bottle of fruit punch, two sets of sleeping clothes, and a set of proper casual clothes too. Her current shirt was pretty loose and uncomfortable, making Sakura feel that she was exposed when she actually wasn't.

And some proper underwear too. Can't be wearing the same crap for four days, might actually catch a disease. She thought, before turning to the Captain.

"I'll take the first room on the right. Thank you for guiding us on this tour." Sakura said with a low bow, before straightening up and looking at Paul.

"Wanna share?"
In a community where knowledge should be used to uplift the teachable and be used as an interest instead of a necessity, the arrogant abuse of knowledge is interesting to watch.

Reverend Norv
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Reverend Norv » Tue May 17, 2016 6:23 pm

As the crew assembled, Paul stood quietly and listened. The stowaway had always had a knack for reading people, despite his limited off-world experience. He didn't much like what he saw.

There was a Neodog. This one walked on all fours and appeared to have lost the use of its hands. It wore a suit of armor with built-in weapons. It called itself, possibly as a sick joke, "Fido." Paul touched the scars on his face, obviously made by a Neodog's claws. Paul was not impressed. The stowaway had spent a decade hunting Neodogs through the woods, and finding ways around the protection offered by powered armor. In all that time, Paul had learned one thing: a hellhound was always a hellhound. It was subhuman, a crime against nature, an affront to the Almighty. Hellhounds had torn open the guts of Annie's father and eaten them raw. Paul had skinned hellhounds and nailed their hides to tree trunks as a warning. There was no room for mercy in a war when the enemy saw unarmed civilians as a food source.

Then there was Sakura. She corrected Paul's pronunciation of her name, her voice dripping with the ugly, congested accent of some faraway city. It sounded like smog and grime had crawled down her throat and taken up residence around her vocal chords. It was disconcerting in someone so young, and depressing; Paul thought of his own children, and of the musical lilt and snap of their voices. The stowaway's heart felt heavy.

There was a man in a polo shirt and body armor, accompanied by a friend who helped to carry his baggage. He looked like a fairly typical merc, and introduced himself as Jonathan Bravo, which sure sounded like an assumed name. The man had not one, but two gun cases. He moved like a soldier, not a hunter: all strength and confidence instead of silent care. Paul spared a glance for the pistol on the man's thigh, and dismissed it: an ugly thing, black plastic and metal, made in a factory somewhere. A whole different animal from Paul's handmade weapons.

There was another woman. She also looked like a fairly typical merc, and she was clearly ex-military: her leather jacket had several Confederation unit patches on its sleeve. She gave her name as Kaja McDonagh, which definitely didn't sound like an assumed name. Kaja also seemed to be humming under her breath. Paul wondered if she was cracked in the head. Many Confederation soldiers seemed to be. The stowaway wasn't exactly pleased that Kaja was a woman, but neither was he too upset: during the wars, several villages in the Gibeon had been forced by casualties to induct women into the ranks of their militias, and Paul had accepted this as an unavoidable necessity. Paul did notice that Kaja carried a stowaway pistol, and his mouth twisted bitterly. Stowaway weapons were crafted for an individual, tailored like a fine suit to the body and mind of a single shooter. To see one in the hands of a lowlander was - unfortunate.

Then there was a damned fop with an absurd haircut, clad all in black and dark red, wearing a silver chain with a red pearl. He walked through the station with a casual arrogance that was not at all justified by the big, black pistol on his hip. It was scoped, and Paul shook his head slightly; no weapon without a stock needed a scope, especially not a handgun so big that it would take near-superhuman strength to hold it steady. The fop did not provide his name. Maybe he assumed that people would just call him "sir." If so, he was in for a surprise: Paul had never called any man but his father "sir". That wasn't about to change on account of some jewelry-wearing womanish lowlander barely out of diapers.

And then - Lord Almighty - there was a K'Tarr. He was - well - a cat. A big cat. He wasn't the first that Paul had seen, and he was unlikely to be the last, but it was still a shock to find one in the security detail. Paul had no particular antagonism toward kittens. Sure, they had tried to collect taxes on Heart's Desire, and so he had gone with his father and killed a fair few of them with mining explosives. And sure, they were heathens, and some had an infuriating habit of trying to spread their heathenry. But that was some of them. Others, like the S'Vatros family, had converted to Christianity and settled among the stowaways after the war was over - and they kept themselves to themselves, spoke plainly and honestly, and lived clean and godly lives. The same could not be said of most humans. Time would tell what this K'Tarr, with his impractical swords and his courtly manners, was like. For his own part, Paul noted the kitten's strange name, and nodded in reply. "Pleased to meet you too, pilgrim," the stowaway told Vikram.

Who else? The crew had to be almost complete by now. There was a young man, short and skinny, with a shaved head and a face mangled by shrapnel. A medium-sized sized dog padded along at his heels. He introduced himself as Nikolai, and the dog as Lydi. The boy seemed lightly armed. He also seemed - wrong, somehow. Paul couldn't quite put his finger on why. The young man glared suspiciously at Vikram; Paul figured that Nikolai was probably a war veteran. Still and all, though, Paul couldn't help but grin when he looked at the dog. Somehow, Lydi made the space station seem a far warmer, more familiar place.

Then there was a - was that a man or a woman? Paul wasn't sure, but he leaned in the direction of a woman - wearing civilian clothes and packing another factory-handgun. She had a grey cap pulled low over her forehead, and carried a duffel bag and a rifle case. She introduced herself, quite politely, as Rey Martel. Tai replied with an instinctive courtliness that made Paul raise his eyebrows in quiet surprise. Perhaps there was more to this grease-streaked spacer than met the eye.

Finally, there was another woman, in warm and practical clothing. She carried no weapons at all, but she walked with confidence. Paul felt from her the same vague sense of wrongness that he had gotten from Nikolai, and he thought involuntarily of New Haven, and then didn't, didn't, didn't. He focused on the woman's strange accent and on her unchanging face, so unlike Paul's own, which showed every flash of joy or sorrow. The woman didn't give her name, but she did say that she was on contract from SICO, and she asked for Tai. Paul wondered why she was not carrying a weapon, and had a nauseous feeling that he already knew the answer.

Apparently, that was the whole crew. Tai introduced herself, and explained that the crew were free to use her first name. That was a relief - not only because Paul could barely pronounce "Fuczkiewicz", but because it spared him from having to use a title like "captain" or "boss." It preserved the pretense of equality, even if pretense was all it was.

Then Tai led the team on a tour of her ship, the Cannonball. Paul was moderately impressed. The ship seemed old, but sturdy, and it was much smaller and more home-like than the vast Confederation troopships that had transported Paul behind bars when last he went off-world. Tai mentioned that she had grown attached to the ship "in her dotage"; Paul glanced at the woman's youthful face, and grimaced at the unnatural implications of that statement.

There were a few other notable points. First, Tai didn't seem to like the Neutral Zone much; she spoke of its people with scorn and of its authorities - such as they were - with condescension. Paul was encouraged by the woman's attitude; it suggested that the Cannonball was not tied to a criminal syndicate. And the job itself, with its minuscule workload, seemed like an almost absurdly easy way to lead the Luo-boys' attention off-world.

Which was not to say that Paul didn't feel that something, somewhere, was wrong with this picture. The cargo bay was all but empty. Tai said that, officially, she was transporting farm equipment. Paul scoffed under his breath. He had spent his whole life on and around farms. You couldn't fit a tractor into that little jumble of shipping containers, let alone the big machines that lowlanders used to till the earth.

Tai did promise that she was not transporting slaves. On balance, Paul supposed that he believed her. He certainly wanted to. There would be some awful irony in being forced to protect a cargo of slaves because he had saved Beth Reynolds from slavers.

Next, Tai showed the team the crew quarters. Very hesitantly, Paul put his hand on the scanner. He wondered how long his palmprint would stay in the machine, or how widely it might be distributed. The stowaway fought back the urge to spit to avert the thousand curses that a machine like this could impose upon a man. As he did so, Tai explained, through barely veiled euphemisms, that her crew were free to have sex with each other. Paul absorbed this information with a tiny, weary shake of his head.

Tai also mentioned that her engine had a zeta radiation leak. That brought Paul's head snapping around, jaw tense with alarm, eyes swimming with images of New Haven. After a moment, the stowaway forced himself to take a breath. If she's flying the ship, and she hasn't suffered any ill effects, then it's probably all right. The thought was less comforting than Paul had hoped it would be.

With that, the tour seemed to be over. Sakura turned to Tai, bowed, and thanked her for her guidance. The girl claimed the first cabin, and glanced at Paul. "Wanna share?"

Paul quietly laughed the question off and held up his left hand so that Sakura - and the rest of the crew - could see his plain gold wedding band. "I'll spread my blanket elsewhere, thanks."

In the end, Paul avoided the cabins entirely; the rooms were too small and the mattresses too soft. Instead, he pulled a rope hammock from his duffel bag, and - albeit with a few grunts of effort befitting his age - climbed a bulkhead on the wall of the cargo bay. When he reached the bay's ceiling, Paul tied the hammock to a couple of sturdy metal pipes and let it hang over the metal floor far below. Then, the Stowaway hoisted his duffel bag, pack, and rifle case up to hang alongside his hammock, and he tied a rope to an especially sturdy pipe so that he could climb more easily to and from his makeshift nest.

It seemed, Paul knew, wildly eccentric. But it made him feel better. On a hunt or a patrol, Schwarzwald stowaways always hung their supplies and hammocks high in the branches of trees. It concealed the hunters from the ground, and protected their supplies from wild animals. During the war, the technique had been even more useful: powered infantry couldn't climb trees at all, and Neodogs could only do so while making a lot of noise, because their claws scratched and scraped the wood. And, in either peace or war, there was still nothing like sunrise seen from a hammock in the sky.

So Paul hung his hammock and his bags from the cargo bay ceiling, just alongside a big porthole that offered a view of a million twinkling stars and the great blue ball of Schwarzwald a thousand miles below. The stowaway lay in his hammock for a moment, rocking gently to and fro in the relatively open air of the big cargo bay, looking down at his world. Annie and Tillie and Delia and Joe were down there somewhere. Paul wished that he knew where; he wished that he could wave to them, even unseen, from on high.

I will always be by your side, Paul had told Delia before he left.

I know, she had said. And Paul had kissed her forehead, and tucked the quilt up under her chin, and walked out into the night.

"God be with you," Paul murmured softly.

And then, because idle hands did the Devil's work, Paul slid smoothly down his rope to the cargo bay floor, and headed off to find the galley and make the crew some lunch.
Last edited by Reverend Norv on Tue May 17, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For really, I think that the poorest he that is in England hath a life to live as the greatest he. And therefore truly, Sir, I think it's clear that every man that is to live under a Government ought first by his own consent to put himself under that Government. And I do think that the poorest man in England is not at all bound in a strict sense to that Government that he hath not had a voice to put himself under.
Col. Thomas Rainsborough, Putney Debates, 1647

A God who let us prove His existence would be an idol.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Cylarn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Cylarn » Tue May 17, 2016 11:14 pm

A couple others showed up for the ride, and we got a move on into our new home. Truth be told, I felt from then-on that the crew was a little funky. Rey Martel? I couldn't even tell what he or she is, and then there was that slaver prick. I didn't need his verbal confirmation to tell that he was a slaver. New Kowloon was "anything goes" when it came to slavery, and those New Bourgogne assholes stood out like sore thumbs when they came to the offshore markets. There was a K'Tarr too, but hey, we don't judge in the Neutral Zone. The others? They wouldn't really stand out until later, when we got shot at. When we were all ready, Tai addressed us and led us inside Cannonball.

I didn't mind the conditions; as long as I had space, I was fine. Now, about what was in that cargo hold? Well, isn't that the question. I was expecting crates on crates on crates of weapons going off to some silent war, or slaves. There was a small pile of containers, sparing the vast majority of space inside of the cargo hold. Our job sounded simple, according to Tai. One team to watch the bay, and another to watch the security systems. How fun.

Now, when we got to the crew quarters, that's when I got happy. When Tai brought up the vacancies of rooms, I gave a visible grin. I didn't mind having my own room, but there were always those few who romped around and shared rooms. I watched the younger Asian girl hit on the old Stowaway, and I was impressed by his resistance to her advances. As I approached the scanner, Tai asked if there were any last questions, to which I responded by setting down one of my cases, freeing my right hand. I looked over at my new captain, and I shook my head.

"No problems here, Cap," I stated, and then I scanned my right hand. After a confirmatory beep, I picked up my case and made my way into a vacant cabin.

It was a small-to-medium-sized metal room, set up with accommodations like two twin beds, two tables in a mini-office setup, a small sitting area with a mini-bar, a bathroom with shower and toilet, a TV, entertainment system, metal lockers for my crap, and a big mural of Rio de Janeiro. I walked in and put my crap away; the cases went under my bed and my bags went into the lockers. I took off that vest and walked over to the mini-bar. I gave a sigh of relief; for now, I was safe from Luo and his goons. I had been running for days, but I finally had a place that I could at least chill in for the time-being. For now, I had some time to kill.

The mini-bar wasn't anything impressive; just a small refrigerator/counter setup with a small shelf between the counter top and the fridge that could hold cups. I opened it up and saw that the last occupants had left some booze. A dozen Terran Fist Lagers, a bottle of Stoddard's Finest Bourbon Whiskey, some mixers, a bottle of Raschnikova Vodka, some water rations, and an ice tray. I pulled out a short glass tumbler and set it down on the counter top, before I bent down and grabbed three ice cubes and the bottle of bourbon. I stood up, added the cubes to the glass, and filled it three fingers of bourbon. I looked down at the glass, and smiled.

I picked up my glass and sat down on a black couch in the room, positioned in front of an oak coffee table and facing a wall-mounted flatscreen. I picked up the television's remote from the table and turned it on, revealing a nature documentary about some alien animals I could care less about. Needless to say, it wasn't the worst thing on television. I shrugged my shoulders and took a long sip of my bourbon. It tasted good, or as good as bourbon can taste.
✎ Member - ℘ædagog
If you are serving the US and its allies right now overseas, thank you for what you do.
Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award and the Best Crime RP Award for 2013 in P2TM. Recipient of the Best Crime RP'er Award of 2014 in P2TM.

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Wed May 18, 2016 6:47 am

One by one, the remaining pieces of the detail began to assemble in earnest. His eyes scanning the lot, Vikram could tell this was a very dysfunctional batch. Not exactly uncommon as far as Pick-Up-Group-style mercenary work went, but the diversity of characters presented made for some very ugly challenges, even if their cooperation would theoretically be only temporary.

The Neodog, as far as his kind went, were as typical as they came. Canine hunters bred for war against what humanity probably assumed were derivatives of their ancestral enemies, most Neodogs were very much cast aside like stray animals, to put it bluntly. He would not put it past this character to have a rebellious streak as were the case of many demobilized folk in the zone. But nothing out of the ordinary, as far as he could tell; rebelliousness was a rather ubiquitous trait in the Neutral Zone. What did caught his eye was the armour, which, while still clearly Confederate in make, showed signs of K'Tarr tampering. Hiding a faint scowl as he pretended to rub his nose, he had very real reason to frown at collaborators. Not that his family and many other K'Tarr were not guilty of deserting the faith or worse. He simply felt a bit of disdain over any support for the Church, hypocrisy or not.

The Stowaway and his companion were a far more interesting lot. Like the rest of the Neutral Zone, Undine had seen a fair share flocking to their world seeking tranquility and closeness with their God. Ayodhya's answer to these wandering folk had been ambivalent so far, with many local administrations too overwhelmed with other problems to care, or sympathetic enough to leave them alone. However, as an ocean world, land space was always at risk of contention, and local magistrates made it a point to harass what they termed as 'illegal squatters' until they paid their dues to the state or leave. He himself had had the sickening duty of evicting a few such communities before. He felt no joy, in all honesty, being given the task of depriving entire families of their homes. But in contrast, it was difficult to sympathize with them if they were very much intent on resisting through violent retaliation. The fact that many, descendants of puritanical Protestant Christians, were quick to spit at the Hindu Devas, only made it easier for him. As Paul greeted back at him, Vikram quickly returned with a curt bow and a smile. Despite the misgivings, he felt no reason to be provocative. Whatever his jobs were, there was no reason to dredge them up just for the sake of it.

Sakura, if he had to put it plainly, was probably among the most sad. Her very smell reeked of someone who had fallen to the pitiful muck that was the Neutral Zone's underworld, and while he could scarcely tell from what level she had fallen, he could clearly see she had been reduced to the state of a pilfering whore. No doubt, he had every reason to lament the girl's fate, having been forced to join the degenerates of urban squalor like the rest of them. But at the same time, this was a girl who clearly did not want pity, and keeping his neutral facade, he was cautious not to irritate her with any sign of genuine concern.

The Bravo character, though he doubted anyone was dumb enough to buy that alias, seemed like the usual rugged Confederate veteran. Like the Neodog, he too might have seen the end of his career in indignant discharge. Nothing special thus far, though the alias might make working together a bit harder with the extra wall of anonymity. But Vikram preferred not to ask anyway. The man probably had good reason to conceal his real identity. A lot of people in the zone usually did.

Kaja too seemed like demobbed Confederate fare, though unlike 'Bravo', her unit insginia was very plain to see. Vikram sniffed a bit as he recalled the origin of the designation. Of all the planets in the Neutral Zone, Dionysian was probably among the lowest in his list of places he liked. Too much debauchery, too hedonistic and too damn hot. However, the lad could have sworn he had seen her somewhere. The flea markets in Ayodhya were riddled with old Dionysian records, though most folks did not particularly like the racy lyrics compared to the cheerful song and dance of local Ayodhyan items.

Barbe... was undoubtedly the quick un-favourite in his eyes. The New Bourgognean reeked of opulence and excess, with all the trappings of a silver spoon princeling taking his first steps into the real world out of curiosity. Covering his mouth as if in thought, Vikram could feel a grimace wean out out of view of the folks. If there were anyone he detested more, it were those who hoard and brandish their wealth to the despondent masses, eagerly flaunting the power granted by their coin at the expense of others. Vikram could scarcely think why such a character would be out of his gilded case in a place like this. In any case, he was in no interest to find out, nor tolerate any sob tales from one raised in the lavish planet-sized mansion.

Shifting his eyes at Nikolai, he could sense a tinge of nervousness at his presence. Looking over his fur showing from his open jacket collar, he could not really blame him. People like him, a K'Tarr, had as much to blame for the war as the Confederacy had for triggering it. Shows of ambiguous magnanimity failed to sidetrack from the fact that they had embarrassed the representatives of humankind on the interstellar stage. Their rampant paternalism too was one that should be rejected than welcome, and that was coming from a K'Tarr himself. Turning his gaze away, he tried not to think too deeply over the issue. He was used to getting stares by now, and being the only feline in the pack, there was little way to avoid being the center of attention.

As Rey made their arrival, the young K'Tarr raised an eyebrow over their appearance. They look unusual for a human, androgynous, maybe even hemaphroditic. Their relative height, even great enough to match his own, only lent to his suspicions. He could not help but think they were not exactly natural humans. Natural selection could not have done this, nor gave rise to the Neodogs or Rakshasa.

Finally, there was Marina. Odd accent aside, she seemed like any regular, dour-faced merc. Hardened, jaded, but hardly unique, folks like her had very reason to smile, let alone in a place like this. But Vikram's whiskers felt jittered for some reason, as if she was hiding something. Though it was probably a given that everyone in the group had secrets, hers seemed to bother him a lot. Nonetheless, he knew better than to probe. To quote a very cliche phrase, 'curiosity killed the cat.'

Finally, there was Ms Fuczkiewicz, her name reminiscent of the epic Polish tongue twisters that had broken many aspiring omniglots. Giving her usual steely Beowulf hospitality, she jabbed at the others' comments on her ship, not surprisingly including Vikram's. Following her through the brief tour as she explained their duties and the ship, she commented on the so-called 'easy money' awaiting them for delivering some 'innocuous farm equipment'. The phrase, like always, was quick to illicit a small chuckle. As far as Vikram knew, 'easy money' looked better on the contract than it did on the actual assignment.

Placing his paw on the scanner, Vikram tacitly made his way out, quite keen on getting to his duties. From the looks of it, they were all a doomed pack, he hated to imagine his chances in the Cannonball if they were ever hit. But what fun was there if the task was as 'easy' as Tai claimed? Nothing ever seems plain in the Neutral Zone, barring Ayodhya anyway.

"Brilliant ride, this would be," he commented sarcastically as he made his way for the cabin to settle his stuff, "what next."

Reverend Norv wrote:And then, because idle hands did the Devil's work, Paul slid smoothly down his rope to the cargo bay floor, and headed off to find the galley and make the crew some lunch.

"Pity," a voice remarked jokingly, his learned Anglo-Saxon accent strangely distinct from his orthodox brethren, "seems like I've been beaten to the mess. And there I thought I'm make a little something for the new crew."

Stepping in well equipped with his apron and, oddly enough, a briefcase, Vikram appeared well prepared, placing his briefcase on the table as he gave Paul a smirk. Opening the locks, the briefcase revealed, perhaps shockingly, a set of cooking utensils, from assorted kitchen knives and handcrafted ladles. From the workmanship, it was clear they were not simply popped out of any factory. They were handmade, with forged high-quality steel made with a distinct layering on its edge. Looking over the cutting edge, he remarked, "handmade in a blacksmith's forge in Indrapur, Undine. Most prefer factory-made, these days. Hard to come by in the far-flung age of space travel. But I suppose I lucked out on that one. Paul Shields, is it? Care for a helping hand?"

For a Kitten, he seemed gifted with a glib tongue. Opening his paw for a handshake, he looked eager to make friends, or at least acquaintances that would not shoot people at the slightest misunderstanding.
Last edited by Wolfenium on Thu May 19, 2016 2:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Name: Wolfenium| Demonym: Wolfener/Wolfen| Tech Level: MT/PMT/FanTech (main timeline) or FT/FanTech
Embassies: Wolfenium's Diplomatic Quarters - Now open to Embassies and Consulates

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Wed May 18, 2016 8:53 am

Marina made her assessments of the ship and its new crew in real-time. Not that she was a particular genius when it came to that sort of thing, but contracted mercenaries tended to wear their allegiances and histories on their sleeves. Sometimes, like in Kaja's case, it was literally ON their sleeves. Marina had had quite a bit of unit loyalty at one point; the PI platoon she was attached to for most of her combat service was like a family, even if it took a while for them to learn to trust the MD trooper's magic implant. But to wear her old patches on a jacket like that was needlessly sentimental. Anyway, she didn't have any patches, and the nearest Terran post exchange, where she might be able to buy one, was many, many lightyears away from the Zone. Still, Kaja seemed like someone she could work well with- professional, dedicated, and much more used to seeing MD users at work than your average thug.

Bravo was easy enough to read. He hid behind his cases of weapons, like so many others in the mercenary business, convinced that his guns could save him. They always reached for their guns right at the end. It was instinctive. Marina had killed a lot of well-armed men just like him. He seemed to be nervous, too, like he was out of his element. Maybe he was used to being in one place, or maybe he was just unnerved by the motley band of SICO hires he'd be working with.

To be precise, he was probably spooked by the presence of a K'Tarr. None of the humans seemed terribly at ease in the presence of the species that had twice reduced mankind's greatest forces to dust. Vikram had little to do with any of that, of course, but the idea still held power. Marina felt the same way, but it wasn't hard to ignore the little tick at the back of her mind marking him as the enemy. There was no emotional drive attached to it, and time had dulled such battle-honed killer instincts.

Besides, much of Marina's career had been spent fighting humans, militiamen like Paul. He seemed a bit out of his element too, but in a different way. Perhaps he hailed from a K'Tarr world. Or maybe he was just unused to space travel. You still saw that more than you'd expect, even in the 24th century. On any given passenger spacecraft, you likely had a first-time flier aboard. He seemed far too honest and clean-cut to be found in such violent and depraved company.

In particular, his immediate company. Sakura... her appearance was completely unimpressive, but something about her tripped an alarm. Maybe it was just the fiercely-burning fire recessed deep within her eyes, daring anyone to try anything. She had that desperate look that the dog-eat-dog underworld types tended to. Marina, while a drifter herself, had kept clear of the oldest profession because of her MD powers. It was never hard for her to find money. But someone without that advantage, alone and penniless on an unfamiliar world, would soon be looking just like Sakura.

Of course, then there was the strutting peacock who clearly came from a world where the word "penniless" was not in common usage. His richly designed and accoutered clothing was like a beacon, saying, "Rob me blind!" on many worlds. This station was a little bit more accustomed to his type than, say, Lilith's urban sprawl, but he was still out of place as a mercenary. He didn't look like the type to eke out a living this way, that's for sure. Perhaps mummy and daddy had thrown him out on his ass for some slight. Or maybe he was just naively traveling the galaxy, looking for fun.

On the other hand, there was Rey, who was completely unreadable. Marina prided herself on her poker face, but here was a living enigma, looming tall over the competition and betraying no secrets with his... or her? Their. Their appearance. Honestly, why someone so tall would volunteer to hit their head on a starship hatchway all day was beyond her comprehension. But there was definitely something odd about them, for sure. Of all the crewmembers, Rey was the only one that Marina would be REALLY dedicated to keeping an eye on. Something about them, maybe the way they glanced at her, made her think they were seeing something... beyond the pale.

But the two members of the crew Marina was most interested in were Fido and Nikolai. The Neodog brought back some of Marina's fondest memories from the war. Hunting down militia fighters behind enemy lines was harrowing work, but the Neodogs were the best at it. And when it came down to it... there was no one you could trust as much. She recalled the time that the convoy taking her to a field hospital was attacked, and the Neodogs came to the rescue. Fido looked very much like one of those Neodogs- though of course, like many humans, she had a hard time telling the armored warhounds apart. But he'd be a good choice of roommate, for sure. She'd have to talk to him as soon as she could.

Nikolai. though, was the one she couldn't take her eyes off of. He was short, unassuming, and wouldn't have stood out to most people if not for that dog. But Marina had a feeling she knew him from somewhere. And really, she thought she knew exactly where. Whether or not he was... "special", like her, was up in the air. But she rarely forgot a face, and she could swear she'd seen him before, perhaps during training, or in combat. Then again, maybe she was mistaking him for someone else. But that sense of familiarity kept coming back. It was annoying that she couldn't quite place him. He was number two on the conversational list. She'd have to see if he had any twin brothers or something like that.

And of course, the Captain herself. Marina's fondness (trained into her, but adopted as her own) for referring to people by their correct ranks and titles meant that she referred to her even in her own head as Captain Tai. It was just as well that her employer bear a title worthy of respect. She'd hated working for the uncreative gangsters who had their underlings just call them "Boss" or something similar. But in any case, the Captain obviously had a lot to hide. Marina wasn't giving those secrets away, but it was obvious they were transporting something VERY valuable. Also, a zeta leak... it seemed convenient. But Marina wasn't about to pry. Lots of people wanted to hire an unfettered MD user, but very few wanted to hire a nosy one.

Having made her assessment, Marina made her way over to the Neodog. "So you're Fido, right?" she asked. "I'm Marina. Marina Delgado. It's always a pleasure to meet a Neodog." She affected a thin smile, the best one she could manage, without showing her teeth- the way the Neodogs liked. "You... wouldn't happen to have been on New Haven towards the end of the war, would you? A Warhound saved my life back then, and I never got a chance to thank him. So I always ask."
Last edited by Neo Arcad on Wed May 18, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

Lunas Legion
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Lunas Legion » Wed May 18, 2016 11:28 am

It was always an odd feeling getting to know a ship and it's for the first time. Nikolai had done it many times, yet it always felt odd and awkward no matter what. Yet this crew, at least visually, seemed among the oddest he'd seen. There was the K'Tarr, Vikram or something, for starters. He could probably cope with one on the ship, as long as he stayed away from him, everything should be fine. No relapses. The rich guy, at least from his outfit and oversized weapon, was probably going to be an arrogant arse and a liability. His type always were out in the Zone.

Then there were the others. The two mercs, Bravo and McDonagh, seemed reliable enough. Bravo had two gun cases, plus a pistol. The overly-prepared and overly-cautious type probably. But out here, it was far better to not need and have than have and not need. McDonagh had various unit patches he partially recognised from his brief service, but her weapon looked odd to him. Probably some scratch-built weapon. But if she had it, obviously it worked. There was the oddly-clothed man who'd called himself Paul. Nikolai didn't know what to think of him. He could be a Stowaway, but he'd never seen one in the flesh, since they all seemed to keep to their numerous communities scattered across the Zone or Confederation space or wherever they ended up. His thought process moved on.

Sakura or whatever odd name she used and Rey just seemed like the standard-issue spacer, using a security contract to move between stations for whatever reason. They were safe to ignore, probably. The Neo-Dog was, well, a Neo-Dog. Lydi disliked them, and that was enough for him. Lydi normally had a much better idea about these things than he did. Marina... He couldn't quite place. She vaguely felt military, but not quite. He noted that for later.

Lydi sniffed the floor, getting used to the scent of the ship, as Captain Tai (he could pronounce her full name, barely, but Tai was much easier) led them through it. It was a normal freighter, a bit battered in places, but functional enough for the job. The lack of cargo, however, spooked him. The Cannonball was carrying something valuable if it only had this much loaded. The Captain's mention of an 'official' story confirmed that. But what it was, that was above his pay. He was being paid to be a guard, not question anything.

Nikolai scanned himself in after Vikram, and led Lydi towards one of the vacant cabins. It was a damn sight better than his room on the station; there was a TV and sofa, for starters. Two twin beds. Lockers. A small table and chair. A goddamn bathroom.

"Well, I guess this is home for now, eh?" He sighed to himself, unclipping Lydi's lead from her collar and dropping it onto the floor. Lydi barked happily and walked over to in front of the couch before lying down, while Nikolai unpacked his stuff. The greatcoat was hung over the back of the chair, his clothes were stuffed into a locker, his tiny library was piled on the table, and Lydi's food box was placed on one of the beds. Satisfied, he checked his door was locked, then went to have a shower. He knew he needed one.
Last edited by William Slim Wed Dec 14 1970 10:35 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Confirmed member of Kyloominati, Destroyers of Worlds Membership can be applied for here

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Wed May 18, 2016 7:31 pm

As she spoke with Tai, Kaja noticed the Stowaway grimace at her Stowaway-made pistol, as if she couldn't tell he was doing so.

What? Is there something wrong with wanting only the finest for self-defence?

A few more people came up to the Cannonball after Kaja, here to be in the same crew she was. She couldn't say she approved of some of them, but that was a decision ultimately up to Tai.

The first she recognized instantly. A New Bourgogner. Even in her thoughts, she spoke the words with pure disdain. Dionysus and New Bourgogne had... a history of sorts. They took vastly differing views on the hedonistic lifestyle they both seemed to share. Simply put, New Bourgogne prided itself on its status as a place of luxury without limits, while Dionysus prided itself as a galactic palace of uninhibited freedom. Most, on both planets, considered the ideas incompatible at the degrees the other planet takes them. The Blitz had played there once, and one of the elites had tried to propose to her.

She shot him down with more than a bit of venom. That may have degraded relations some between the two planets. She didn't care. Fuck the slaver bastards. This New Boogerer had the same sickening air of superiority to him. She had a feeling she would hate him, too. Probably served in some cushy desk job in logistics like the rest of NB's 'assistance' to the war effort, if he served at all. At least Dionysus answered the call of liberation when it came. NBers would probably blacklist the number.

There was... well, a Kitten. What more was there to say about the K'Tarr for a Shiva officer than they made a sickening crunching sound under the treads, and that they were a pain in the ass without heavy infantry backup. The way this particular Kitten carried himself though, she wasn't sure he was a K'Tarr in anything but species. If she had to guess, she'd say he had spent at least a fair amount of time on Undine. Lovely planet, though too prudish for her tastes. Still, her band had done one or two shows on the planet early on in their career. A brief embargo between the two planets set up by Ayodhya nixed plans for a third, and the increased rate of conflicts in what would become the Neutral Zone prevented a fourth.

There was a plain-looking man in a greatcoat, whose face made it look like he had once tried to eat a frag grenade. For some reason, with the bald head, scarred face, greatcoat, and the general faded-ex-military look he had, he reminded Kaja of an old 20th-century movie villain type. She resisted the urge to snicker. The big German Shepherd dog he had helped. Dogs were a rare sight on seedy space stations like this, and even tough-looking dogs like German Shepherds could help make a space station feel less seedy. But with the man himself, he gave a sense of... off-ness. Like those MD corpers. And as easy as they made her job, she never did get used to it.

There was someone whose gender Kaja couldn't quite place. A boy? A girl? A they? She didn't know, and in her experience it was best to not ask, but wait for them to identify which one it was themselves. There was something off about them. In a different, almost complete opposite way to Nikolai.

Lastly was another woman, in plain clothes. She didn't provide a name and gave off even more of a sense of off-ness than Nikolai. She definitely had been in the Munchausen-Dirac Corps, Kaja was certain of it. Hell, she may have had her reality-fucking powers reactivated in the Neutral Zone.

Kaja had heard that such procedures were often.... painful.

Kaja was pleased by the lack of formality Tai was expecting while addressing her. Not that she didn't mind calling her 'Captain' or 'Captain Fuczkiewicz' or 'Captain Tai', but the lack of formality was a refreshing change from her last job. Ex-military fucker ran a glorified dinghy like a warship and thought he was hot sht.

The cargo bay was small and empty, but at least it wasn't carrying slaves. Kaja didn't believe Tai's claim of it carrying 'farming equipment' for a second, but she frankly didn't care enough to ask. Unless it was slaves, drugs, or something dangerous, she really couldn't care less what cargo she was being paid to protect.

The crew quarters were decent enough. Actually, for a ship this old and this size, they were pretty nice. After putting her hand on the scanner, she placed her bags on the floor by and under the bed of her quarters. She picked the one closest to the galley - the closer to food she was, the better.

She sat down on the bedside, pulled out a small traveler electric guitar, and started to play.
Last edited by Rupudska on Wed May 18, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Malshan
Senator

Founded: Sep 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Malshan » Wed May 18, 2016 9:27 pm

Fido* shrugged at Tai's apology, taking the start of surprise in stride. It wasn't often that people managed to keep a straight face when introduced to him for the first time. He wasn't the kind of let such trivial things bother him. Not when there were more interesting things to observe. In this case, it was the variety of beings that arrived after him, lining up in front of Tai in a loose semicircle.

Fido* examined the crew as they arrived, snuffling at the air to distinguish their scents from the noise and stench of the station. Some of them were more distinguishable than others; some smelled like the station personified. A few in particular caught his nose's attention, in particular the female eying him with something that almost looked like respect. He looked her over, his eyes zooming in and out behind the lenses on his helmet. Fido* felt his hackles quiver, recognizing the sensation as being indicative of the presence of a person known as a "Munchie" among the handlers. The NDog didn't pretend to understand or even care what the Munchies did - he was really only concerned with how to hide and ambush such beings. He'd gotten pretty good at killing Powered Infantry and grunts after he'd switched over to the K'Tarr military, but the Munchies were another class altogether. Fighting them was a bit like fighting a physically handicapped K'Tar soldier whose powers weren't quite matured yet. Dangerous, yes. Unpredictable for sure. Definitely a priority target on the field of combat. He'd not had many chances to fight Munchies, in part due to the fact that the Confederacy stopped deploying them in sizable numbers near the end of the war and that there was usually only one per squadron, but he knew that they tasted just like any other human.

Another crew member that drew his nose's attention was a tall, scarred man that spoke with a curious drawl in his voice. Fido* cocked his head to one side and swiveled his ears when the man spoke, watching him caress the scars on his face. There was something about the way the man looked at him that spoke of knowledge in the form of experience. Likely experience in fighting other NDogs during the war. His scars appeared indicative of a few close encounters with some rather sizable NDogs, though somehow they didn't manage to kill him.

Fido* started salivating at the man's scent, though the suit sucked away the saliva as soon as it dripped from his jowls. He rotated his head on his shoulders, the mechanical struts in his neck grinding as they moved to support his head. Fido*'s eyes never left the man, a hungry look in them; there was something enticing about the way the man smelled. A small spark clicked through the NDog's brain, inciting a memory from the kennel of conditioning.

That must be it. he thought to himself. He and his kind must be prey. A small voice awoke in his mind, prodding the spark of interest to build into a flame. Prey. Food. Engage. Hunt. it said, coming through in bits and pieces - snatches of past training on Beowulf. Fido* shook his head in an attempt to clear his mind of the conditioned response, reminding himself that he was free of the Confederacy. The man faded from his interest, no longer looking to Fido* like a meaty morsel.

Fido* finally broke free of his interest of the scarred man. He passed his gaze and focus back over the rest of the security team without much interest, his eyes passing over the German Shepherd and K'Tarr without much reaction at all beyond a slight lingering on its pelt seemingly out of interest in its grooming habits.

Fido* returned his gaze to Tai as she began her briefing, absorbing the information quickly and easily. When she asked for scans of their hands, Fido* stood, towering over most of those around him, and stopped to place a malformed paw on the scanner, waiting patiently as it examined his featureless pawpads and tufts of fur surrounding his claws.

But Fido* didn't proceed to explore the ship after the briefing, instead sitting back down on his haunches among the "farming equipment" and watching as the others dispersed. Then the female approached him.

Neo Arcad wrote:But the two members of the crew Marina was most interested in were Fido and Nikolai. The Neodog brought back some of Marina's fondest memories from the war. Hunting down militia fighters behind enemy lines was harrowing work, but the Neodogs were the best at it. And when it came down to it... there was no one you could trust as much. She recalled the time that the convoy taking her to a field hospital was attacked, and the Neodogs came to the rescue. Fido looked very much like one of those Neodogs- though of course, like many humans, she had a hard time telling the armored warhounds apart. But he'd be a good choice of roommate, for sure. She'd have to talk to him as soon as she could.

Having made her assessment, Marina made her way over to the Neodog. "So you're Fido, right?" she asked. "I'm Marina. Marina Delgado. It's always a pleasure to meet a Neodog." She affected a thin smile, the best one she could manage, without showing her teeth- the way the Neodogs liked. "You... wouldn't happen to have been on New Haven towards the end of the war, would you? A Warhound saved my life back then, and I never got a chance to thank him. So I always ask."

Fido* snuffled at the air once more as the female spoke, confirming his previous suspicions. The scent of the woman was rent with a strange perfume that Fido* had come to associate with extended exposure to zeta radiation, the telltale sign of a Munchie. He listened as she spoke of New Haven; he knew of the planet, had heard the stories of its demise. But he shook his head slowly, as he hadn't been deployed to the planet. "No," he spoke, his voice distorted by his hybrid vocal cords and resonating within his muzzle. "I was never deployed on New Haven. I spent my service rooting out human and K'Tarr insurgents on a world whose name I care not to remember."

His nostrils dilated and he blinked, deciding it would be best to state his suspicions. "You're an MD corpsman. Not many of your species active in this part of the universe."

A movement caught Fido*'s eye and he watched as the tall, scarred man walked back into the hold and swarmed up the supports on the walls, tying a hammock and his supplies to them, far elevated off the ground. The action confirmed his earlier thoughts. The man had fought NDogs previously. Fido* chuckled loudly at the human's apparently instinctual actions and stood up on all fours, stretching lightly before walking toward the cabins, glancing back at the woman, deciding that it was best to choose a bunkmate rather than having one arrive out of the blue. "Are you coming, Marina Delgado?"
ET IN ARCADIA EGO
A certain therianthropy thing.
*sigh*
My factbook
Rupudska wrote:
Hetland 2 wrote:
You catch on quick. That's why I like you. :)
I'm kidding of course you aren't a thing. You're a person.

Dude, don't insult the werefurry.

Rupudska wrote:RP Sample: Let me in, or we take another third of Mexico.
Rupudska wrote:You're NS's Wolfman, therefore your argument is negated due to bias.
"Sarcasm works so much better when you can look down your fire-breathing nose at someone." -Callistan Sairias
"Lupus magnus est, lupus fortis est, lupus deus est."
I'm an atheist, transhumanist, asexual, cladotherian (Canini) male.
Also known as Canarius, your friendly-ish dog person Lycanthropic American.
Kshrlmnt wrote:Malshan

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Thu May 19, 2016 12:25 pm

Hayatsuki Sakura

Whistling as she traveled along the street, a bag packed with new clothes and basic necessities and a candy in her mouth, Sakura checked the credits left in her wallet - Twelve credits remaining after she managed to haggle and bargain with the owner of a tailor, getting some rejects and second-hand clothing for a low price and altering them at another shop for a discounted price as well. Sakura's the kind to always haggle for a good price, and being a female, she knows how to play her charms against males of the Neutral Zone.

Walking past a market where fresh produce harvested from the aeroponic farms of the orbital station were paraded for trade, Sakura wondered if the food on board the Cannonball has been freshly stocked, and seeing the fresh greens on the boxes, Sakura wondered if she could continue her haggling streak.

"Boss! How much for this head?"
"The price is there, four credits for a pack of lettuces."
"That's kind of a rip off? It costs two credits down there!"
"This is the Orbital Station, prices vary. You want something called expensive, look at the meat!"

Looking at the beef counter, Sakura shook her head as she focused on the job at hand.

"One pack for three!"
"I said four!"
"Two for five! I'm buying more than one!"

The man stared at the orphan, who stared right back with her dark eyes, Sakura not blinking as she met his stare.

"Ah, fine. You look like you could have some greens anyway."

Of course it's fine. You'd still make a profit if you sold these at two credits per head. Nearly twenty percent, should I add. Sakura thought in her head as she paid the man. The butcher was next, until Sakura reminded herself that butchers do not exist in Orbital Stations. Meat has to be transported from the planet, if there exists a thriving industry with surplus meat for export to the stations. With all the transportation costs, meats on the Orbital Stations were traded at a premium, but it was still a profitable business.

To save costs from burning fuels to defeat the planet's gravitational pull, ships often dock at the Orbital Stations where minimal fuel or maintenance on heat shields were needed. With most of their customers being merchant ships or independent cruise ships, the meat traders could jack up their prices exceedingly high, to almost twice the price of meat being sold planetside. If the ships want fresh meat on board, they would have to pay for it, or spend time and money, as well as modifications, to even land on a planet.

The price tag stared back at Sakura.

Jurgen's Beef Frozen Striploin Steak 500G - 10 Credits
Jurgen's Beef Shabu Shabu 400G - 9 Credits
Jurgen's Beef Sukiyaki 400G - 9 Credits

Nine credits? Planetside sells them at six! Sakura's mind screamed as her mouth hung at the revelation. Nonetheless, she had seven credits remaining, but this might be a hard one...

"Boss. A Sukiyaki, for six credits."

"Six credits?" The man turned, his bloodshot eyes and red face not intimidating Sakura one bit. "You know that they sell them at seven on Schwarzwald. Shoo off before I turn this chopper on you."

They don't. And choppers are literally non-existent on Orbital Stations...

"Come on boss." Sakura said as she lifted a pack of meat. "Look, they aren't even that fresh!"
"You dare, girl? To insult Jurgen's best meats?!"

The man seemed a little drunk, Sakura observed. Probably complacent since he owned the monopoly of the meat trade in this sector. The orphan sighed as she continued the hassle, trying to bargain and get a good price for the meat, that the Cannonball crew would know that she would be of some use.

"That's it, stop. Stop haggling, and get lost. So what if the meat ain't fresh? It's not like it's getting into your tummy you little wench."

A smile formed on the edge of Sakura's lips, as she looked around to see that no one was really paying attention at the store. Sliding to the side where a clean counter was, Sakura leaned over, her finger strategically placed to free a button or two from the top of her blouse. She could see the man's eyes follow her posture, no doubt eyeing her true assets, as Sakura motioned him over with a finger.

"You might not have fresh meat." She whispered into his ear, ignoring the alcohol-fueled breath. "But I do. We can always... trade."

"What's your rates?"
"Depends." Sakura said. "Listen for the fresh, sir."

Sakura got up from the sofa, spitting off the cleansing mouthwash as she rinsed her mouth for the third time. The man's performance, or whatever there was to appraise of and to put it nicely, was shit. To be honest, nothing too explicit was done, just Sakura doing some intimate things before a salesgirl walked in on them. As a result, the man freaking out and pushed Sakura away just as she began to strip, much to his irritation. No matter, the man kept his word on the agreed price, and Sakura now had ten packs of fresh Schwarzwaldian beef in her bag, as well as two unopened bottles of Schwarzwald-grown wine, pilfered from the fridge when the store owner was busy bribing the salesgirl.

Nearly a hundred credits worth of goods. Well, a used prostitute would charge about fifty to a hundred. Someone with an Asian heritage might command more, and Sakura knew that her first rate back in Sol-Cabal was actually pegged at five hundred. Slightly fortunate that no tycoon has bothered to spend that much on an untested girl, Sakura felt lucky that she managed to learn all the necessary things without actually getting her body used.

As said, it was all just chance, fate.

Just as Sakura turned to leave, she threw the salesgirl a wink, getting one in return as her empty wallet was left on the counter. Paying the girl to walk in on them for a reward to con the conman, Sakura's step was light as she entered the Cannonball, smoothing her slightly messed up hair as she reached the recreation room.

"Hey guys, got some meat and wine here." Sakura announced as she placed her takings for the day. "Should be able to last us for a while."

Without waiting for a response, Sakura quickened to her room, getting into the bathroom before creating a mess on the sink as she puked from the previous experience. Less food, more like a retching act as she reached for a small bottle of mouthwash, gurgling the liquid once more before expelling it onto the sink, taking a cloth to wipe it clean.

Never... not ever... again... Sakura thought, her eyes burning with anger as she considered the experience.

No more drunk dudes ever.

Taking a moment to compose herself, Sakura then took a change of clothes, swapping into a casual t-shirt and pants, smiling a little at her achievements. Her room was furnished with the basics, a personal bar and shower head which Sakura would make sure to use at the end of the day. Heading back into the rec room, the girl found a spot near the bar within the circular area, lying on it as she observed the people around her. Sakura doesn't often pass judgement on her crewmates, especially if they were of superior status than her. Let those bigwigs take care of the crew profiles, Sakura knew that she was naturally under the Captain's command and whatever protection her authority granted.
Last edited by Relikai on Thu May 19, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Thu May 19, 2016 9:18 pm

Malshan wrote:
But Fido* didn't proceed to explore the ship after the briefing, instead sitting back down on his haunches among the "farming equipment" and watching as the others dispersed. Then the female approached him.

Neo Arcad wrote:But the two members of the crew Marina was most interested in were Fido and Nikolai. The Neodog brought back some of Marina's fondest memories from the war. Hunting down militia fighters behind enemy lines was harrowing work, but the Neodogs were the best at it. And when it came down to it... there was no one you could trust as much. She recalled the time that the convoy taking her to a field hospital was attacked, and the Neodogs came to the rescue. Fido looked very much like one of those Neodogs- though of course, like many humans, she had a hard time telling the armored warhounds apart. But he'd be a good choice of roommate, for sure. She'd have to talk to him as soon as she could.

Fido* snuffled at the air once more as the female spoke, confirming his previous suspicions. The scent of the woman was rent with a strange perfume that Fido* had come to associate with extended exposure to zeta radiation, the telltale sign of a Munchie. He listened as she spoke of New Haven; he knew of the planet, had heard the stories of its demise. But he shook his head slowly, as he hadn't been deployed to the planet. "No," he spoke, his voice distorted by his hybrid vocal cords and resonating within his muzzle. "I was never deployed on New Haven. I spent my service rooting out human and K'Tarr insurgents on a world whose name I care not to remember."

His nostrils dilated and he blinked, deciding it would be best to state his suspicions. "You're an MD corpsman. Not many of your species active in this part of the universe."

A movement caught Fido*'s eye and he watched as the tall, scarred man walked back into the hold and swarmed up the supports on the walls, tying a hammock and his supplies to them, far elevated off the ground. The action confirmed his earlier thoughts. The man had fought NDogs previously. Fido* chuckled loudly at the human's apparently instinctual actions and stood up on all fours, stretching lightly before walking toward the cabins, glancing back at the woman, deciding that it was best to choose a bunkmate rather than having one arrive out of the blue. "Are you coming, Marina Delgado?"

Surprise, it turns out, is not an emotion. Or at least, it's not controlled by the limbic system. Marina was quite surprised indeed when Fido* was immediately able to tell what she was. That was a first. It took her a few seconds to register that Fido* had left, and implicitly invited her to bunk with him. She took a few longer steps to catch up with him.

"How did you know that so quickly?" she asked. It takes most people- even Neodogs- a while to figure it out. Some of them don't even realize it until their blood starts to evaporate and their heart explodes." The two of them cut a strange pair, treading confidently through the corridors. They came to one of the crew cabins, and finding it unoccupied, claimed it. The room was remarkable in its spaciousness, having much greater volume than anyone had any right to expect aboard a starship. But it was still rather cozy. Showers were provided, among many other much-appreciated creature comforts. But the room was hardly Marina's main focus; rather, she was interested in her new roommate.

"So how did you end up here, if you don't mind sharing? And, uhm... speaking of sharing... would you mind not sharing my little secret with the rest of the crew? I'd be ever so grateful. Some people don't really like Munchausen-Dirac troopers. For obvious reasons."

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Fri May 20, 2016 1:15 am

Relikai wrote:Just as Sakura turned to leave, she threw the salesgirl a wink, getting one in return as her empty wallet was left on the counter. Paying the girl to walk in on them for a reward to con the conman, Sakura's step was light as she entered the Cannonball, smoothing her slightly messed up hair as she reached the recreation room.

"Hey guys, got some meat and wine here." Sakura announced as she placed her takings for the day. "Should be able to last us for a while."

Without waiting for a response, Sakura quickened to her room, getting into the bathroom before creating a mess on the sink as she puked from the previous experience. Less food, more like a retching act as she reached for a small bottle of mouthwash, gurgling the liquid once more before expelling it onto the sink, taking a cloth to wipe it clean.

Never... not ever... again... Sakura thought, her eyes burning with anger as she considered the experience.

No more drunk dudes ever.

Taking a moment to compose herself, Sakura then took a change of clothes, swapping into a casual t-shirt and pants, smiling a little at her achievements. Her room was furnished with the basics, a personal bar and shower head which Sakura would make sure to use at the end of the day. Heading back into the rec room, the girl found a spot near the bar within the circular area, lying on it as she observed the people around her. Sakura doesn't often pass judgement on her crewmates, especially if they were of superior status than her. Let those bigwigs take care of the crew profiles, Sakura knew that she was naturally under the Captain's command and whatever protection her authority granted.

Glancing back at Sakura as she called them out over her groceries, Vikram could not help but feel decently surprised. He had low expectations of their food supply in the dank hell of the orbital station to begin with, and for all intents and purposes, he was prepared to waste away on processed food yet again. For someone to bring in fresh produce was always a welcome sight, even if he doubted the quality of the produce quite considerably . Never mind the questionable means the girl used to obtain them, something that warranted a liberal dose of mouthwash, the hapless feline tired hard not to cough over the discomfort.

However, his elation seemed to be somewhat short, looking ovef Sakura's produce. While the green vegetables were always a sight for sore eyes, the red meat, to his dismay, was not.

"You had to get beef, did you," he commented in a slightly grudging tone, "not that I can't take the hearty stuff, but I don't take beef. More for the rest of you, though."

It was not out of any particular devotion to the gods. As Vikram admitted to himself, he was not exactly a very observant man, and agnostic at best. But growing up among the devout Ayodhyans, he too abhorred the butcher and consumption of cows. He had no issues with others eating the meat, though. He just felt compelled against eating it himself, another habit of his that continued to betray his origins in Undine.

Relikai
Postmaster-General

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Relikai » Fri May 20, 2016 2:23 am

Wolfenium wrote:"You had to get beef, did you," he commented in a slightly grudging tone, "not that I can't take the hearty stuff, but I don't take beef. More for the rest of you, though."

It was less than a while after she lay on the sofa, when a Cat, or rather, a K'Tarr walked up to her with a complain. To be fair, it was the first time Sakura met one of their kind, and she has no idea of their dietary habits.

"Oh." Sakura said as she sat up, stretching as she saw the K'Tarr tower over her. "I'm sorry, I have only met humans so far. I have little idea of your kind's diet." She said in an even tone, without a hint of sarcasm. No point picking unnecessary fights.

"If you have enough money... say thirty Credits, you might be able to get around three kilograms out there. I've done my part with the butcher for the beef, don't ask what."

Wolfenium
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby Wolfenium » Fri May 20, 2016 3:05 am

Relikai wrote:
Wolfenium wrote:"You had to get beef, did you," he commented in a slightly grudging tone, "not that I can't take the hearty stuff, but I don't take beef. More for the rest of you, though."

It was less than a while after she lay on the sofa, when a Cat, or rather, a K'Tarr walked up to her with a complain. To be fair, it was the first time Sakura met one of their kind, and she has no idea of their dietary habits.

"Oh." Sakura said as she sat up, stretching as she saw the K'Tarr tower over her. "I'm sorry, I have only met humans so far. I have little idea of your kind's diet." She said in an even tone, without a hint of sarcasm. No point picking unnecessary fights.

"If you have enough money... say thirty Credits, you might be able to get around three kilograms out there. I've done my part with the butcher for the beef, don't ask what."

'A K'Tarr thing' Had he been a lesser man, he might have taken offence. But Vikram could hardly blame her for not knowing. They only just met. Sighing a bit, he assured her, "Sakura, is it? Well, most K'Tarr have a thing for fish. Cliche, I have to admit, but I suppose that's the discourse of evolution. But K'Tarr have no problem with other food. It just so happen that I conform to specific Terran traditions that places reverence to cows and bars its slaughter and consumption. To put it simply, I just don't eat beef. It's an Ayodhyan thing. No need to fret, though. I'm used to vegetarianism."

"Besides," he answered coyly, shrugging at her mention of the beef, "I'm not very well off myself. I doubt any of us can afford to be picky with regards to purchase. Well, most of us, I suppose."

While he still could not be too sure, if there were anyone who could have simply bought his way through, it would be the New Bourgognean. Why he had chosen to join this mess was still beyond him, though based on the flashy clothes, he had doubts whether he would be that desperate for cash. Perhaps time would prove him wrong, in which case, he would gladly eat his words. If he would be proven right, however... it would be very clear they would not make fast friends.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse