NATION

PASSWORD

Officer Fired for Professional Misconduct

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Officer Fired for Professional Misconduct

Postby Camicon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:43 pm

Courtesy of the CBC

Because I like bringing Canadian news stories here, particularly those from my home city, and because I think it bears remembering that all police and their departments are not hopelessly corrupt, I come bearing a gift.

Short version: Sergeant Anthony Braile was fired from the Calgary Police Service last week, after admitting to nine counts of professional misconduct and committing multiple Police Service Regulation offences.

Long version: In 2008, Sgt Braile pulled over a drunk driver, who attempted to flee. Sgt Braile called the incident in to dispatch and then pursued the driver in a high-speed chase, which ended when the drunk driver t-boned a cab; the cab driver was seriously injured in the incident.

Where did Sgt Braile go wrong? For starters. Engaging in high speed chases in against Calgary Police Service policy. When Sgt Braile called in to dispatch, he told them that he was not pursuing the drunk driver, when in fact he was. The chase lasted for 58 minutes, and at times reached speeds of 145 km/h. It bears noting this occurred in the month of December, when water, snow, and ice, are very likely on the roads. Also, highway speeds in Alberta are capped at 110 km/h. One might ask how we know all this. Each police cruiser in the CPS fleet is equipped with a GPS tracker which records both location and speed, something which all officers are very much aware of.

The area of the city in which this chase began was the largely residential District 2, and ended on Fifth Avenue in the downtown core (District 1), which is a one-way street. During the chase, Sgt Braile contacted another police unit and ordered it to assist him, using an internal messaging system (CPS cellphones, not their radios, which is a matter of course for most calls as civilians are allowed to listen in on police scanners). As previously mentioned, the chase ended when the drunk driver t-boned a taxi cab (hit the side of the car with the front of his own, forming a T shape when viewed from above), which seriously injured the cab driver. When other units arrived on-scene, Sgt Braile "provided misleading and incomplete information" to other responding officers.

Sgt Braile plead guilty to a charge of careless driving under the Traffic Safety Act in 2013.

So why was Sgt Braile fired? He conducted a high-speed chase contrary to CPS policy, which ended when the fleeing driver t-boned and seriously injured a cab driver. He lied to dispatch about conducting the chase, ordered another unit to assists him (essentially, ordered other officers to also break the rules and laws which he was breaking), lied to and misled other officers who responded to the crash, and admitted to violating Alberta's Traffic Safety Act with his reckless driving.

What are we to discuss? Firstly, did Sergeant Braile deserve to be fired for what he did? A point of contention to be sure, given the kind of leeway police officers are often given in the course of their duties. Secondly, is having a "no high-speed chase" policy good or bad? Given that this whole thing only became an issue because CPS forbids it's officers from engaging in high-speed chases, this is something that requires mention.

My opinions? Yeah, Sgt Braile deserved to be fired. Not for the high-speed chase, per say, though that clearly demonstrates a lack of judgement that would warrant administrative duties only, but because the chase ended with a civilian seriously hurt, and because Sgt Braile lied to dispatchers and other officers about what he was doing and what was happening.

And should CPS forbid high-speed chases? Absolutely. This incident only highlights the kinds of problems they cause, and in a city like Calgary, where driving conditions are often poor enough to make even regular driving a hazardous affair, high-speed chases are far more trouble than they are worth.

What say NSG?
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Founded: May 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:46 am

Amazing, Calgary actually did something right.

High-speed pursuits should definitely be restricted to the RCMP and the highways. Less chance of catastrophically fucking up, though for smaller places that are basically nothing but highway with a bit of city between them (like Lethbridge) local police should have more leeway for dealing with pursuits.
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

Galloism wrote:I bet it takes a lot of weed to get stoned to death.

New Manvir wrote:Canada: We have flying bears.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:... He's twenty.

He's also a moron.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:57 am

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:Amazing, Calgary actually did something right.

High-speed pursuits should definitely be restricted to the RCMP and the highways. Less chance of catastrophically fucking up, though for smaller places that are basically nothing but highway with a bit of city between them (like Lethbridge) local police should have more leeway for dealing with pursuits.

You say that as if we normally don't. And Lethbridge isn't exactly small: almost one-hundred thousand people, and the third largest city by area in Alberta. :eyebrow:
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Aethrys
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:57 am

How backwards it is that official policies force a cop to lie in order to do what's right. As the incident illustrates, drunk drivers are a public menace and need to be dealt with. Unsure how anyone thought "Well we'll just let that fellow tearing around the streets and swerving through lanes go where he pleases." Made for a good policy. Why should anyone avoid driving completely smashed if they know they're not going to be arrested for it?
"Concentration of power in a political machine is bad; and an Established Church is only a political machine; it was invented for that; it is nursed, cradled, preserved for that; it is an enemy to human liberty, and does no good which it could not better do in a split-up and scattered condition." - Mark Twain

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:05 am

Aethrys wrote:How backwards it is that official policies force a cop to lie in order to do what's right. As the incident illustrates, drunk drivers are a public menace and need to be dealt with. Unsure how anyone thought "Well we'll just let that fellow tearing around the streets and swerving through lanes go where he pleases." Made for a good policy. Why should anyone avoid driving completely smashed if they know they're not going to be arrested for it?

Chasing a drunk driver until they crash into something someone is the right thing to do?

Not engaging in a high-speed chase does not mean the police don't follow people who need to be followed, or that they don't set up roadblocks or contact officers ahead of the suspect that can intercept them without endangering the public. And let's be clear, trying to run away from the police after they pull you over for something never works: licence plate information includes the driver's place of residence, and it isn't exactly hard to track folks down if you have that, even if the information is incorrect.

That whole "protect and serve" thing is hard to do when your actions are needlessly endangering people.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:09 am

Next time you don't want to get busted just floor it. The Liberals won't even let the cops drive fast anymore.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:19 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:Next time you don't want to get busted just floor it. The Liberals won't even let the cops drive fast anymore.

Municipal police force policies that have been in place for decades, in Alberta, somehow the fault of the months-old federal government. :roll:
Last edited by Camicon on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:25 am

Camicon wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:Amazing, Calgary actually did something right.

You say that as if we normally don't. And Lethbridge isn't exactly small: almost one-hundred thousand people, and the third largest city by area in Alberta. :eyebrow:

You've lived in this province how long and you don't automatically assume a non-Calgarian talking shit about Calgary is sarcasm? :P

And what I meant by that is that Lethbridge is, relative to Calgary, pretty fucking small. Plus, look up Lethbridge on a map sometime - We have like 4 or 5 different highways going through us, with the actual city seeming pretty tiny by comparison. Though at least for me I include Whoop-Up Drive (before it transitions to 6th Avenue South) and Scenic Drive among the actual highways.
Ankh Mauta
Pope Joan wrote:I had a client who stole the magnetic flashing light from the top of a police car.

It was parked in front of his house because they were asking his parents about his theft of 100 pounds of copper wire from the high school.

greed and death wrote:It is a sad day when we criticize the President for honoring a solider who gave everything for his nation.

Olthar wrote:

He's also a moron.

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:26 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:Next time you don't want to get busted just floor it. The Liberals won't even let the cops drive fast anymore.

There's these things. Called license plates and vehicle descriptions.
Ankh Mauta

Olthar wrote:

He's also a moron.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:28 am

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:

There's these things. Called license plates and vehicle descriptions.

Stolen license plate, stolen car. Pretty standard fare.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:31 am

Camicon wrote:You say that as if we normally don't. And Lethbridge isn't exactly small: almost one-hundred thousand people, and the third largest city by area in Alberta. :eyebrow:

You've lived in this province how long and you don't automatically assume a non-Calgarian talking shit about Calgary is sarcasm? :P

And what I meant by that is that Lethbridge is, relative to Calgary, pretty fucking small. Plus, look up Lethbridge on a map sometime - We have like 4 or 5 different highways going through us, with the actual city seeming pretty tiny by comparison. Though at least for me I include Whoop-Up Drive (before it transitions to 6th Avenue South) and Scenic Drive among the actual highways.

Hey, normally it's directed towards Edmonton. Snooty buggers. :p

Yeah, I can see what you mean by giving local PD's and RCMP more leeway, but chasing after people down highways still seems like a fairly poor idea to me. How often do we see high-speed chases that end without things getting hit and people getting hurt?
Empire of Narnia wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:There's these things. Called license plates and vehicle descriptions.

Both of which would show up when the plates are run, because people report stolen vehicles. And those that don't are known to police for other reasons, which means whomever is driving that stolen car is known to police for other reasons. There are always more avenues of investigation.
Last edited by Camicon on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:32 am

Camicon wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:You've lived in this province how long and you don't automatically assume a non-Calgarian talking shit about Calgary is sarcasm? :P

Hey, normally it's directed towards Edmonton. Snooty buggers. :p

Yeah, I can see what you mean by giving local PD's and RCMP more leeway, but chasing after people down highways still seems like a fairly poor idea to me. How often do we see high-speed chases that end without things getting hit and people getting hurt?

On the highways? All the damn time. The RCMP (and Sheriffs when they aren't otherwise busy wasting taxpayer's money) don't just cruise around for no reason, y'know.

Empire of Narnia wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:There's these things. Called license plates and vehicle descriptions.

You have no idea how easy it is to track down a stolen car, do you?
Ankh Mauta

Olthar wrote:

He's also a moron.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:46 am

Camicon wrote:Hey, normally it's directed towards Edmonton. Snooty buggers. :p

On the highways? All the damn time. The RCMP (and Sheriffs when they aren't otherwise busy wasting taxpayer's money) don't just cruise around for no reason, y'know.

Empire of Narnia wrote:Stolen license plate, stolen car. Pretty standard fare.

Doesn't matter if the cops can't catch you lol.

Hardened Pyrokinetics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Hardened Pyrokinetics » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:56 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:On the highways? All the damn time. The RCMP (and Sheriffs when they aren't otherwise busy wasting taxpayer's money) don't just cruise around for no reason, y'know.

Doesn't matter if the cops can't catch you lol.

Y'know, if people like you would just admit that you don't know the answer rather than trying to seem clever, you would save yourselves so much embarrassment...
Ankh Mauta

Olthar wrote:

He's also a moron.

Bacopa
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 09, 2012
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bacopa » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:50 am

No matter what anyone thinks about the rules, a cop that willingly breaks them and lies about it is bad for everyone
agile - mobile - hostile

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:10 am

Well, lying on an official report is certainly unprofessional and unbecoming of a police officer, so the man deserved his punishment as far as that is concerned. Without that, disciplinary punishment would be sufficient for the rest of his infractions.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:21 am

Good on Calgary. Liars shouldn't be tolerated in the police department.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General