NATION

PASSWORD

Terra Nihilus [OOC|Open]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Terra Nihilus [OOC|Open]

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:32 pm

Terra Nihilus

Some sort of randomly generated civilization game. Not exactly the hardest of fluffs; you'll see magic, shenanigans, giant crocodiles as war beasts, and more. A cheap and nasty RP in the tradition of cheap and nasty.

Currently we're accepting one more tribe, but if you want to apply as a character to join another RPer's tribe, feel free to do so. If you want a casual round of writing and clever progress, welcome.

In-Character Thread: Here.
The World Encyclopedia: Here.

Basics
Each tribe will begin with ten members, the age and gender makeup of which is determined by their leader, you.
Each tribe also starts with up to four 'resources'- such as timber, a type of food, a stone vein for building, etc. which are vital to understanding how the world works. Each leader may choose one of those resources; as you explore the world around you, other resources will be found at random, which you will need to grow and build your civilization.
New lands have a reduced chance of resources compared to the beginning regions of tribes, so taking land from your neighbors might be wise, if you are stretched for some vital resource.
Each leader need only post one IC post a day- time will always flow at the rate of one year IC to one day OOC. Every day, a random event will occur, generally detrimental, but occasionally beneficial. This may be a monsoon that ruins crops, a drought that kills those without adequate water supplies, and so on; be aware that your tribal members will die, and you must be prepared for the vagaries of fate.
Some resources exist almost anywhere- grass, dirt, small stones, flint. You don't have to worry about possessing these resources in order to use them. If you aren't sure if what you want to use requires a formal resource, TG me.

Citizens

Your people are the lifeblood of your civilization; guard them carefully. I will not be intervening to prevent realistic actions, even if they may come across as untowards- if your civilization of Ivory Tower intellectuals is conquered by the Khanate next door because you didn't think to make any weapons, that's just tough luck.
There are five types of citizens that you should categorize your folk within, for the purposes of understanding who can do what.
Workers: These folks can build most of the objects of your civilization. Expect one to two Workers to be able to build a small house every year, and to need far more to build genuinely complicated edifices. They also deal with things like toolmaking, forging, smithing, woodworking, and generally anything that requires a degree of skill as an artisan.
Scholars: Natural philosophers, Scholars are vital to understanding the world around you, and how to use it. At first you can make one Discovery per Scholar per Year; that might be anything from discovering how to make a dugout canoe, to how to smelt copper ore, to understanding the principles of agriculture. There is no tech tree in this RP, nor will I be riding herd on technological discoveries- use your rational mind, and ask me if you think something might be "too advanced". As time goes on, and populations as well as the complexity of further sciences become more prodigious, more Scholars may be needed to make a Discovery.
Explorers: Frontiersmen and independent individuals, these hardy souls learn more about the world around you, and are also somewhat proficient in combat. One Explorer can map out one new region every year, but exploration is not always without risk. Explorers also function as the only way to gather resources from areas you do not hold a presence in.
Guards: Soldiers and warriors, Guards keep your folk safe from harm- you might want to invest in these as time goes on, to protect yourself from the increasingly dangerous world.
Agrarians: The folk that keep the wheels of civilization turning. Food is something all your people will need, and only full-time Agrarians can gather it from most sources efficiently.

Training one type of citizen in to another is possible, but time-consuming. Without someone to train them, it takes three years for one type of citizen to become another type. However, with the efforts of a trainer involved, it can take merely a year. More citizens can be obtained over time from pregnancies- you may decide if any of your villagers become pregnant in a given year, though be warned, pregnancies can be dangerous, and hinder the efforts of the pregnant woman as well as leaving her in need of more food than usual. Children are also quite vulnerable to disease and danger, and in the early ages of mankind are certainly not guaranteed to make it to adulthood.

Combat

Always telegram me first before attacking another player civilization- this is so I can properly determine your odds of success, and we can discuss your wargoals, as well as your tactics.

And that's all, for now. This will probably be expanded as new issues come up.

Anyway, have an application.

Code: Select all
[b]Civilization Name:[/b]
[b]Job Distribution:[/b] (number of workers, scholars, etc.) (total of ten citizens)
[b]Gender Distribution:[/b]
[b]Starting Resource:[/b]
[b]Describe a Citizen:[/b]

Civilization Name: The Hvasskyn
Job Distribution: 2 Scholars, 1 Explorer, 3 Workers, 4 Agrarians
Gender Distribution: 7 Female, 3 Male
Starting Resource: Tin
Describe a Citizen: Idrius, the leader of the tribe, is a tall tanned worker that has violet-colored eyes and dark hair cut short with crude tools to keep it out of his eyes. The Keen folk wear skins of the beasts of the forest that live near the Mother Tree, but don't bother with much in the way of clothing as a rule of thumb.
Last edited by G-Tech Corporation on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Caralia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Caralia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:33 pm

Civilization Name: The Vorodnei
Job Distribution: 3 Workers, 4 Agrarians, 1 Guard, 1 Explorer and 1 Scholar/Priest
Gender Distribution: 6 Female, 4 Male.
Starting Resource: Sheep. Stone.
Describe a Citizen: Ashunt is the father of the primary family in the Tribe, acting as it's priest. He wears a simple woolen robe, hand crafted, and holds in his hand a gnarled wooden staff. His face is wizened and wrinkled, years of herding on the hillsides and work caring for the sheep has left his features solid, stoic, but with a vague smile. After all, there is no sense in going to the pasture on the horizon with a frown on your face. Might upset the sheep.

Most of the people own sheep, or manage the communal herd, with a few working in the small rocky area nearby to knap flint for tools. One of them guards the herd, one looks for new pastures, and Ashunt is the doctor, for the sheep and the people.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:34 pm

Caralia wrote:Civilization Name: The Vorodnei
Job Distribution: 3 Workers, 4 Agrarians, 1 Guard, 1 Explorer and 1 Scholar/Priest
Starting Resource: Sheep. Stone.
Describe a Citizen: Ashunt is the father of the primary family in the Tribe, acting as it's priest. He wears a simple woolen robe, hand crafted, and holds in his hand a gnarled wooden staff. His face is wizened and wrinkled, years of herding on the hillsides and work caring for the sheep has left his features solid, stoic, but with a vague smile. After all, there is no sense in going to the pasture on the horizon with a frown on your face. Might upset the sheep.

Most of the people own sheep, or manage the communal herd, with a few working in the small rocky area nearby to knap flint for tools. One of them guards the herd, one looks for new pastures, and Ashunt is the doctor, for the sheep and the people.

One thing- note how I said Resource, not Resources? :P

Sheep or Stone, not both, eh>
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Caralia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Caralia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:38 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Caralia wrote:Civilization Name: The Vorodnei
Starting Resource: Sheep.

Most of the people own sheep, or manage the communal herd, with a few working to knap flint and to build pens and so forth. All life is related to the herd, and those not working to directly cater for them still do work for them. One of them guards the herd, one looks for new pastures, and Ashunt is the doctor, for the sheep and the people.

Ah, sorry. It says in the OP that tribes start with up to four resource, so I went with that. I'll take sheep.
Last edited by Caralia on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:38 pm

Caralia wrote:

Ah, sorry. It says in the OP that tribes start with up to four resource, so I went with that. I'll take sheep.

Indeed- the other three will be randomly assigned though.

Caralia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Caralia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:41 pm

Caralia wrote:

Indeed- the other three will be randomly assigned though.

Ah, fair enough. I'll hope for more pasture animals.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Civilization Name: The Chekarr
Job Distribution: 9 workers/farmers, 1 leader/scholar
Gender Distribution: 5 and 5
Starting Resource: Rice
Describe a Citizen:
The Chekarr wear simple clothes usually made from woven grasses or rice stalks and the like, with most people working the communal field. When not tending to the crops, people usually are engaged in getting water from the nearby lake or searching for good stones or wood or bamboo to make tools from. They usually take turns guarding the field from marauding birds and the like. They are fit and bronzed from long hours of work in the sun, but their lives are not altogether unhappy for the most part.
Mai is the oldest of the women of the Chekarr, not able to do much work because of her advanced age, but with a vast store of knowledge built up over her long years in the world. She acts as the tribe's leader and often ministers to the sick and the like.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Senkaku wrote:Civilization Name: The Chekarr
Job Distribution: 9 workers/farmers, 1 leader/scholar
Gender Distribution: 5 and 5
Starting Resource: Rice
Describe a Citizen:
The Chekarr wear simple clothes usually made from woven grasses or rice stalks and the like, with most people working the communal field. When not tending to the crops, people usually are engaged in getting water from the nearby lake or searching for good stones or wood or bamboo to make tools from. They usually take turns guarding the field from marauding birds and the like. They are fit and bronzed from long hours of work in the sun, but their lives are not altogether unhappy for the most part.
Mai is the oldest of the women of the Chekarr, not able to do much work because of her advanced age, but with a vast store of knowledge built up over her long years in the world. She acts as the tribe's leader and often ministers to the sick and the like.

Just to be clear- agrarians are a separate profession from workers. I'm assuming you mean a split of the two?

Illan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:04 pm

Ooh, tag.
Above even The Boss
Feel free to contact me about any fantasy, sci-fi, or otherwise futuristic RPs, especially those involving aliens or other non-humans, especially if it is an original universe/idea. I also enjoy Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and many other things that transit to roleplays.

Ava Ire
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 29, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Ava Ire » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:06 pm

Tag for interest 8)
I'm a mysterious, sp00ky pink ghost that's haunting this website for some reason.
"Down to Gehenna or up to the Throne, he travels the fastest who travels alone." ~

Illan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Illan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:15 pm

So....are we all humans? Or are we our own individual species?
Above even The Boss
Feel free to contact me about any fantasy, sci-fi, or otherwise futuristic RPs, especially those involving aliens or other non-humans, especially if it is an original universe/idea. I also enjoy Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and many other things that transit to roleplays.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Illan wrote:So....are we all humans? Or are we our own individual species?

I'd aim for all humans, thigh I don't mind if you diversify in time.

Carthakia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Carthakia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:26 pm

Civilization Name:The Bretoni
Job Distribution: 1 Scholar/Priestess,4 agrarian ,3 workers,1 guard,1 explorer
Gender Distribution:Equal amount of males and female
Starting Resource:Yefash,a strange alien like fruit purplish,and pod shaped,hardy and nutritious.
Describe a Citizen:The Bretoni for reasons unknown where banished,and Javas the explorer, was forced to lead them far from their original homeland.It was a perilous journey and the forces of nature where sure to wipe them out but she managed to find a secured place where they could make there new home.It was the priestess Tavara who studied the yefash and taught the agrarians how to cultivate the plant,now they are hard at work building the foundations of their new home.
Last edited by Carthakia on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Intermountain States
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Intermountain States » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:27 am

Civilization Name: Geryo
Job Distribution: 2 Agrarians, 2 Workers, 1 Scholar, 2 Guards, 3 Explorers
Gender Distribution: 5 men, 5 women
Starting Resource: Iron
Describe a Citizen: What Tabal is always looking for is profit. If it's something that can get him or his tribe wealth, he'll do it. That is to say, he is not some greedy scumbag, he is proud to have morals. His father did told him that one of the tactics of being a successful merchant is to have a reputation of being fair and honest. As Chief of Geryo, Tabal is content with ensuring that the Geryo tribe can be prosperous with trade rather than conquest. After all, two tribes trading is far better than two tribes fighting. While Tabal establishes Geryo as a trading tribe, he always see the need for exploration to find new land to settle in or new resources to trade thus he places importance on exploration and he even take part in exploring himself.
I find my grammatical mistakes after I finish posting
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I'm a third party voter. Trust me when I say this: Not even a lifetime supply of tacos could convince me to vote for either Hillary or Trump. I suspect I'm not the only third party voter who feels that way. I cost Hillary nothing. I cost Trump nothing. If I didn't vote for third party, I would have written in 'Batman'.

If you try to blame me, I will laugh in your face. I'm glad she lost. I got half my wish. :)
Search boxes are your friends

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:27 am

Carthakia wrote:Civilization Name:The Bretoni
Job Distribution: 1 Scholar/Priestess,4 agrarian ,3 workers,1 guard,1 explorer
Gender Distribution:Equal amount of males and female
Starting Resource:Yefash,a strange alien like fruit purplish,and pod shaped,hardy and nutritious.
Describe a Citizen:The Bretoni for reasons unknown where banished,and Javos the explorer, was forced to lead them far from their original homeland.It was a perilous journey and the forces of nature where sure to wipe them out but he managed to find a secured place where they could make there new home.It was the priestess Tavara who studied the yefash and taught the agrarians how to cultivate the plant,now they are hard at work building the foundations of their new home.

Sure, that works. Welcome.

Intermountain States wrote:Civilization Name: Geryo
Job Distribution: 2 Agrarians, 2 Workers, 1 Scholar, 2 Guards, 3 Explorers
Gender Distribution: 5 men, 5 women
Starting Resource: Iron
Describe a Citizen: What Tabal is always looking for is profit. If it's something that can get him or his tribe wealth, he'll do it. That is to say, he is not some greedy scumbag, he is proud to have morals. His father did told him that one of the tactics of being a successful merchant is to have a reputation of being fair and honest. As Chief of Geryo, Tabal is content with ensuring that the Geryo tribe can be prosperous with trade rather than conquest. After all, two tribes trading is far better than two tribes fighting. While Tabal establishes Geryo as a trading tribe, he always see the need for exploration to find new land to settle in or new resources to trade thus he places importance on exploration and he even take part in exploring himself.

Two things:

What type of iron? Meteoric? Hematite?
Also, with only two Agrarians, your tribe might have trouble collecting enough food.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:05 am

Civilization Name: The Inoans
Job Distribution: 2 Workers, 4 Agrarians, 1 Guard, 1 Explorer, 2 Scholars
Gender Distribution: 6 f, 4 m
Starting Resource: Copper
Describe a Citizen: Abydo, a thin, tanned man in a simple white robe. He has face and body tattoos depicting simple, angular geometric motifs and spirals. He is the leader of the tribe and a scholar, while his wife Atisa (also tattooed, but limited to the mouth and chin) is the high priestess and another scholar.
Signatures are so 2014.

Ava Ire
Negotiator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Ava Ire » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:17 am

Civilization Name: The Aghakan Horde
Job Distribution: 4 Guards, 3 Agrarians, 2 Workers, 1 Explorer
Gender Distribution: 5 Males, 5 Females
Starting Resource: Wooly Steppe Bison
Describe a Citizen: Thakota, the son of a legendary hunter and founder of the Aghakan clan. Confident, clever, a bit arrogant. Clad in animal skin clothing and a fur coat, his black hair reaching down to his shoulders in wavy locks. His build is strong, and agile, a tall young man with dark tan skin. The spitting image of his father. Like many young men in the Horde, Thakota will become a skilled bison hunter. Yurt life is tough, and often brutal, so the men of the Horde must also be tough and brutal. Thakota and the other hunters venture out onto the vast plains to hunt the wooly steppe bison, their main source of food and resources. With their skin and fur they make clothing and yurts, and other items from which leather might spawn. Their bones are turned into tools, and all flesh is eaten. There on the plains are also horses, mystical creatures which rumor holds can be tamed, though none have yet tried. The wooly steppe bison is perhaps most vital to their way of life. The Aghakan Horde of the steppe could not imagine life without them.
Last edited by Ava Ire on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a mysterious, sp00ky pink ghost that's haunting this website for some reason.
"Down to Gehenna or up to the Throne, he travels the fastest who travels alone." ~

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:23 am

Utceforp wrote:Civilization Name: The Inoans
Describe a Citizen: Abydo, a thin, tanned man in a simple white robe. He has face and body tattoos depicting simple, angular geometric motifs and spirals. He is the leader of the tribe and a scholar, while his wife Atisa (also tattooed, but limited to the mouth and chin) is the high priestess and another scholar.

Excellent, glad to see you here Utceforp. Accepted.

Ava Ire wrote:Civilization Name: The Aghakan Horde
Starting Resource: Horses
Describe a Citizen: Thakota, the son of a legendary horse-riding warrior and founder of the Aghakan clan. Confident, clever, a bit arrogant. Clad in animal skin clothing and a fur coat, his black hair reaching down to his shoulders in wavy locks. His build is strong, and agile, a tall young man with dark tan skin. The spitting image of his father. Like many young men in the Horde, Thakota will become a skilled horse-riding hunter. Yurt life is tough, and often brutal, so the men of the Horde must also be tough and brutal. And, just like all the other men, Thakota has a strong bond with his horse. Living with the horse has become a way of life. It is the horse that allows them to travel so far, to find the steppe bison, and haul the meat back home. The horse is their beast of burden. And it is their companion, and most loyal friend. For the Aghakan Horde of the steppe, life would seem impossible without the mighty horse.

Ah, a clarification; I love the horde idea, but resources are more "what starts in your area" than "what your folk know and understand". The horses would be undomesticated and your folk will have to develop the knowledge of how to ride them, make saddles, and whatnot.

Ava Ire
Negotiator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Ava Ire » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:31 am

Utceforp wrote:Civilization Name: The Inoans

Ava Ire wrote:Civilization Name: The Aghakan Horde
Starting Resource: Horses
Describe a Citizen: Thakota, the son of a legendary horse-riding warrior and founder of the Aghakan clan. Confident, clever, a bit arrogant. Clad in animal skin clothing and a fur coat, his black hair reaching down to his shoulders in wavy locks. His build is strong, and agile, a tall young man with dark tan skin. The spitting image of his father. Like many young men in the Horde, Thakota will become a skilled horse-riding hunter. Yurt life is tough, and often brutal, so the men of the Horde must also be tough and brutal. And, just like all the other men, Thakota has a strong bond with his horse. Living with the horse has become a way of life. It is the horse that allows them to travel so far, to find the steppe bison, and haul the meat back home. The horse is their beast of burden. And it is their companion, and most loyal friend. For the Aghakan Horde of the steppe, life would seem impossible without the mighty horse.

Ah, a clarification; I love the horde idea, but resources are more "what starts in your area" than "what your folk know and understand". The horses would be undomesticated and your folk will have to develop the knowledge of how to ride them, make saddles, and whatnot.

Oh, so we can't have domesticated animals yet then?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:33 am

Ava Ire wrote:

Oh, so we can't have domesticated animals yet then?

Not really, no. I allowed wool clothing from the sheep herders because using discarded wool or hunted wool is justifiable; their sheep aren't domesticated.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:38 am

On that topic, what kind of knowledge do we start with? I made a bit of an assumption with the tattooing the Inoans practice, since A: It doesn't really confer any sort of advantage to the tribe and B: tattooing has been practiced IRL since the late Stone Age, but what about weapons/building/farming/etc.? Do we start with stone tools? Copper tools? Bronze tools? And so on.
Signatures are so 2014.

Ava Ire
Negotiator

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Ava Ire » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:39 am

Ava Ire wrote:Oh, so we can't have domesticated animals yet then?

Not really, no. I allowed wool clothing from the sheep herders because using discarded wool or hunted wool is justifiable; their sheep aren't domesticated.

Oh, okay. Alright, I guess I'll change my app then.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:41 am

Utceforp wrote:On that topic, what kind of knowledge do we start with? I made a bit of an assumption with the tattooing the Inoans practice, since A: It doesn't really confer any sort of advantage to the tribe and B: tattooing has been practiced IRL since the late Stone Age, but what about weapons/building/farming/etc.? Do we start with stone tools? Copper tools? Bronze tools? And so on.

You can assume you're just entering the Chalcolithic. Most tribes will have crude flint hand-axes as tools, and I could probably justify spears, but not much else. They survive by gathering and the occasional lucky hunt, understand almost no medicine, and probably only wear the skins of what they hunt. Basically, you'll have to develop just about everything that you want.

Garwall
Minister

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Garwall » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:07 am

tagtagtagtagtagtagtagtagtag

App coming later.
1 Student
Nationality: Yankee
Religion: Atheist
Ideology: Socialist
Issues: State Capitalism/Full Citizenship
Cash Reserves: ~1$
Revoltrisk: 85%
Militancy: 9
Counsciousness: 12
"For Home and Countrymen!"

-Battle-cry used by Garwall Revolutionaries as they storm the Capitol Building, raising the Rebel Flag.
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=132814#p6655830
Above: The Treaty of Belgratz, the Document ratifying the Socialist Party's rise to power in Garwall.

[15:43] <Parhe> For some reason
[15:43] <Parhe> I feel safe whenever Gar is here
[15:43] <Parhe> Not sure why, Garwall always made me feel safe

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:54 am

I've noticed you've started recording the stated names for the tribesmembers in the other thread. Here the other eight names for my tribe:

Male:

Himero (Explorer)
Beros (Worker)
Sargo (Agrarian)

Female:

Erisa (Guard)
Nasi (Worker)
Ita (Agrarian)
Ina (Agrarian)
Dwodi (Agrarian)

(Ignore their jobs, if you're planning on distributing that youself.)
Signatures are so 2014.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse