NATION

PASSWORD

Prison Debate Team Defeats Harvard

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Prison Debate Team Defeats Harvard

Postby Eol Sha » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:56 pm

In an interesting story out of Massachusetts, a trio of inmates that are part of the Bard Prison Initiative faced off against three members of the Harvard College Debating Union in a debate on whether or not public schools should have the ability to deny enrollment to undocumented students. After an hour of debate, judges declared the prison team to be the victors.

Full story:
It may sound like the writing of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, but a Harvard debate team lost to a group of prison inmates.

A trio from the Harvard College Debating Union squared off against three men from the Bard Prison Initiative at a maximum security prison in Napanoch, NY. After an hour of debating, the inmates were declared the victors.

“The prison initiative reached out to us to set up a debate, and we agreed. We wanted to be of any help we could be,” Dhruva Bhat, President of the Harvard College Debating Union told Boston.com. “The debating team thinks debating is a powerful tool, and we want to work with other organizations to try to get public debating in more public schools. Debating has changed our lives and this confirmed how powerful a tool education and debating can be.”

In one round, the three convicts had to promote the argument that “Public schools in the United States should have the ability to deny enrollment to undocumented students,” despite disagreeing with it. According to the The Wall Street Journal , the three prisoners raised points the Harvard team didn’t counter.

Despite not having access to the Internet for debate preparation and research, the prison team has previously faced and defeated debaters from West Point Military Academy and University of Vermont, according to the Wall Street Journal.

“Not having access to the Internet definitely made it a lot harder for them,” Bhat said. “Clearly Bard has given them a very solid foundation.”

But did the Harvard team go easy on them?

“We definitely did not,” Bhat said. “That would have been incredibly disrespectful of their talent and work.”

This isn’t the first time the prestigious New England college has lost a debate to prisoners. A Norfolk Prison Colony team formed in the 1930’s defeated Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and even Oxford, in various debates.

As far as what I think, I find it impressive, more than impressive really, that inmates with no access to the Internet were able to out debate these college students who had all of the resources in the world at their disposal. While I'm certain that the inmates, themselves, are quite intelligent, it just seems like an incredible challenge. Congratulations to the Bard team are in order, though. This just shows how a little education, and rigorous study, can go a long way. Hopefully the initiative is spread to other prisons or its processes are adopted by others.

What do you all think about this? Do you think there should be more programs like the Brad Prison Initiative available to prisoners?

Also, for anyone interested, I first saw this story on The Young Turks. In their video on the story they offer stats on prison recidivism rates and the effect education has on them. I'd recommend watching it.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:33 pm

"Not having access to the internet" might actually be an advantage!

Could also be that the prison team don't have anything else to study for, so they were better prepared. In any case, good for them.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Jumalariik
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jumalariik » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:35 pm

Only in America would the richest and "most educated" be out-debated by what are meant to be "scum of the earth." Obviously grades are not even close to everything.
Varemeist tõuseb kättemaks! Eesti on Hiiumaast Petserini!
Pray for a new spiritual crusade against the left!-Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium
For: A Christian West, Tradition, Pepe, Catholicism, St. Thomas Aquinas, the rosary, warm cider, ramen noodles, kbac, Latin, Gavin McInnes, Pro-Life, kebabs, stability, Opus Dei
Against: the left wing, the Englightenment, Black Lives Matter, Islam, homosexual/transgender agenda, cultural marxism

Boycott Coke, drink Fanta

HanFei6
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby HanFei6 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:36 pm

Their position was probably easy to defend.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:42 pm

Yeah, this was on the Guardian this morning, really cool story. It's inspiring to see than even those who have had their lives changed irreversibly can still be dedicated and passionate about improving themselves. Props to these guys, I wish them the best in the future.

HanFei6
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby HanFei6 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:44 pm

It just goes to show that even manslaughter convicts make better presidential candidates

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:47 pm

Good on these guys for bettering themselves to this extent. Much props. Very admiration.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:49 pm

HanFei6 wrote:Their position was probably easy to defend.

The position they were given to defend was that public schools should be allowed to deny enrolment to undocumented children.

So no, not easy to defend.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

New confederate ramenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New confederate ramenia » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Good for them.
probando

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:56 pm

HanFei6 wrote:It just goes to show that even manslaughter convicts make better presidential candidates

I doubt they'd be allowed out if they were there for manslaughter.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:00 pm

Jumalariik wrote:Only in America would the richest and "most educated" be out-debated by what are meant to be "scum of the earth." Obviously grades are not even close to everything.

Most people from Harvard will be the first to tell you that.

An interesting statistic, 75% of all associate hires are from the elite (called top 14) law schools, but 75% of all partners are from.

Something happens to the top 14 kids between associate and partner.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:03 pm

greed and death wrote:
Jumalariik wrote:Only in America would the richest and "most educated" be out-debated by what are meant to be "scum of the earth." Obviously grades are not even close to everything.

Most people from Harvard will be the first to tell you that.

An interesting statistic, 75% of all associate hires are from the elite (called top 14) law schools, but 75% of all partners are from.

Something happened between your brain and the keyboard I think. Want to try again?

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:07 pm

Not everyone who goes to prison is ''scum of the earth''.

Anyway, good on the inmates. It means that they're very well versed on the subject, more so than the Harvard students. Or that these particular Harvard debating team wasn't very good.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Draica
Senator

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Draica » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:07 pm

This is an antecdote, but this is an antecdote that can be used to peddle a very important point: Grades do not measure intelligence. Wealth does not measure intelligence and so on.
Draica is a Federal Republic nation ran by conservatives and Libertarians! If you ever wanna rp a state visit, a war, a debate with one of my leaders or a conservative/libertarian philosopher, or just wanna tg me in general(I like TGs) drop me a TG!
Allies: Pantorrum, Korgenstin, Zebraltar, Kiribati-Tarawa, Democratic Sabha. Idoa, Allaena, Lledia.
Enemies: Arkania 5, any communist nation, Drakorvanyia.
Wars:

The Draican-Arkanian war: On-going

The Waldensian-Draican-Kiribati Cold War: Won. Dissolution of Communist Government in Waldensia

The Draican-Die erworbenen Namen war: Draica successfully defended, retaliation called off.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:15 pm

Not in this case. Many years ago the Auckland University debating team went up against a team from the Paremoremo Maximum Security Prison, the university team lost that time too.

There's actually a lot of really clever people in prison.

and also this story is cute, but not really 'new'

Antartide
Secretary

Founded: Sep 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Antartide » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:33 pm

HanFei6 wrote:It just goes to show that even manslaughter convicts make better presidential candidates

It's kinda scary when you say it that way.
Antartide-Ex Natio
I stand with Bitely and the WSA
[violet], Maxtopia, Eluvatar, Kandarin, Unibot, Todd McCloud, Luna Amore, Flemingovia

A Proud and Glorious Defender

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:37 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
greed and death wrote:Most people from Harvard will be the first to tell you that.

Something happened between your brain and the keyboard I think. Want to try again?

If I am not even seeing it, this south American alcohol I found must be a lot stronger than I thought.

Its made from grapes I thought pisco is about as strong as wine.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:53 pm

greed and death wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:

If I am not even seeing it, this south American alcohol I found must be a lot stronger than I thought.

"An interesting statistic, 75% of all associate hires are from the elite (called top 14) law schools, but 75% of all partners are from."

Is there a word missing at the end? It seems to imply "from top 14 schools" which would mean new hires and promotion to partner would be the same ..?

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Draica wrote:This is an antecdote, but this is an antecdote that can be used to peddle a very important point: Grades do not measure intelligence. Wealth does not measure intelligence and so on.

These guys were also imprisoned with nothing to do. It's a good use of their time, and will probably improve their resumes when they get out, but it isn't an amazing feat.
Last edited by New Werpland on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:05 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
greed and death wrote:If I am not even seeing it, this south American alcohol I found must be a lot stronger than I thought.

"An interesting statistic, 75% of all associate hires are from the elite (called top 14) law schools, but 75% of all partners are from."

Is there a word missing at the end? It seems to imply "from top 14 schools" which would mean new hires and promotion to partner would be the same ..?

non top 14 law schools.

In other news the beverage I am drinking is 60% alcohol. I better put on some clothes and call for an ambulance as I was drinking it like wine.
Barack Obama

A man is no one
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby A man is no one » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:32 pm

Whenever I've seen this in the news, it's seemed like the implication has been that the Harvard team was bad. But it doesn't look to me like they're bad, it just looks like the prison team was really good.
Last edited by A man is no one on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:55 pm

Anybody know how old these prison inmates were? As much as Harvard College students are smart for their age, they still don't have the same maturity and life experience that a lot of other people do.

Other than that, this just goes to show what a difference it makes when people put their minds to something constructive instead of whatever it was that got them sent to prison.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Palakistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Palakistan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:26 pm

I like this statement.
My stats are frozen at 10%
I annoy lots of people with my views. Sorry abou' that.

Your worst In Character enemy should be your best Out Of Character friend.
- to you who said that: genius!

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:25 pm

I think a big part of it is social class and the lives these people live. Generally speaking, it's mostly just well of people with connections that get into Harvard. These people, because of their backgrounds, haven't faced the hardships of less well-off people. This makes them less connected to the reality of these topics they were debating, and vise versa for the inmates. Imagine a CEO debating a single mom on welfare in the topic of welfare.

Or, to sum it up by quoting my father, "It builds character."
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:39 pm

Only in America violent convicts (which go in maximum security prisons) would be glorified for defeating a higher institution in a debate.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General