NATION

PASSWORD

The Horrors Beneath Mont Rouge (sign-up thread)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Fanaglia
Senator

Founded: Nov 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

The Horrors Beneath Mont Rouge (sign-up thread)

Postby Fanaglia » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:46 pm

This will be a survival RP, set in my nation in 1884. A new entrance to a lava tube cave beneath the extinct volcano Mont Rouge has recently been discovered. The mountains are surrounded by swamps inhabited by a mysterious, secretive, unfriendly tribe of cannibals known as the Pannas Tritios who until recently avoided outsiders, but have seemingly become very protective of the mountain. Little is known about their culture, but many believe that they worship the mountain or some spirit within. Many legends surround the mountain, and there is a lot of speculation about what may lie beneath Mont Rouge.

The international team of explorers that was on its way there saw one man injured and found that the base camp that had been set up there, which is comprised primarily of nothing more than graduate students, had been almost under siege, with the Pannas not allowing anyone to escape, though they refrained from a direct attack. Distress flares were sent up and spotted by a merchant couple in a hot-air balloon. They agree to take the leader of the expedition, Dr. William Griffith, back to town to get help.

We will be jumping in over a year later -- Andre Montgolfier, the team's guide last year, has died from his injuries (a poisoned spearhead), the Fanaglian Army has shown up and established an outpost where the base camp had been set up, and the team was disbanded. After securing the funds he needed and taking the necessary precautions, Dr. Griffith reassembled a new team and finally was able to delve into the mountain that dominated his thoughts for the last year. However, due to one of the team's experiencing a severe head injury less than a day into the expedition, Rafael Dawson has been sent back to the base camp to fetch backup and a rescue team. Soon, Dr. Griffith's team shall discover that the Pannas Tritios are the least of their worries as they delve into the secrets of Mont Rouge. This is where you will come in, should you choose to join. Stationed at the camp are both soldiers in the Fanaglian Army and foreign mercenaries, so you may choose either.

I would like to gather a team of 10-15 characters; you may play as more than one if you wish, but preferably no more than three. Any Vapor members have automatic "dibs" on a spot in the RP. I ask that all new interested parties please copy and fill out the form below to apply.

Again, this is a survival RP -- some or all of us will die at my discretion. Fair warning.

In general, Vapor's technology is what would be considered by most to be "low fantasy." In traditional fantasy works, "high fantasy" pieces heavily feature magic and fantastical creatures (like Lord of the Rings), while "low fantasy" is heavily grounded in a realistic (if fictional) setting with only a few fantastical elements (like Game of Thrones). The way this applies to Vapor is that, except for a few liberties taken in respect to the development of historical aerospace technology (1910-era dirigibles available in the 1880s), few elements of the Vapor universe would be unfathomable to a RL person from the period.

Think of the way the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare games are set in the near future, featuring some future-tech, but nothing out of the realm of possibility. Now take the same idea and chuck it 125 years into the past, and you have Vapor.

If you would like to learn more about Vapor, check out the OOC thread for our RP group. We are not currently accepting applications, but RPers who prove themselves in this semi-open RP will be considered when the time comes.

Code: Select all
[b]Name: [/b]
[b]Age: [/b]
[b]Nationality: [/b]
[b]Occupation: [/b]
[b]Appearance (pic optional): [/b]
[b]Biography/Personality (be sure to list any relevant experience): [/b]
[b]RP Sample (Optional but preferred): [/b]

I look forward to meeting you all.

The Cast So Far

Dr. William H. Griffith, Ph.D. (Fanaglia)
Audrey DeMille (Fanaglia)
Dr. Tabitha Moriarty Leeds (Patisserie-Goulash; controlled by Fanaglia)
Dr. Davido A. Crispelli (Inoroth)
Franco E. Durroni (Inoroth)
"Cherry" (Inesea)
Professor "Song" (Inesea)
Octavius Gerhanz (Servoth)
Jorge Kemler (Servoth)
Rachel Drake (New Elizabetta)
Jabari Glas (Camelone)
Robert Mhachoff (Wyrnsturm)
Dr. Kurtkan Kerman (Blorbs)

UPDATE: The OP has been posted here.
Last edited by Fanaglia on Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:11 am, edited 10 times in total.
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook
OOC: Fanaglia is a steampunk nation; whenever I post IC, I'm posting from 1886. That, or from some sort of weird time rift in which my characters don't realize they are in fact 127 years in the future.
Barringtonia wrote:Only dirty hippies ride bicycles, white supremacists don't ride bicycles EVER, although the Nazis did steal a lot of bicycles from the Dutch, but that was to use the steel to make TANKS!

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Jesus H. Christ on a jelly pogo stick of justice.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:NS forums are SUPERGOOGLE.

The power of dozens of ordinary humans simultaneously interrogating a search engine with slightly different keywords. I'm getting all teared up just thinking of the power.

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:50 pm

A selection from the OP I shall be using:

Fanaglia wrote:8 July, 1884 -- It's been a year and four months since Mr. Montgolfier died so horribly. Audrey DeMille shuddered as she wrote in her journal, recalling too-vividly the events of that day -- his screams piercing the still-dark morning, the gunshot ringing out in the night, the silence. Dr. Griffith had already gone off with that merchant couple for help; she still resented that he had not told her he was leaving. He did what was necessary, she supposed, but she still could not help but feel hurt. Rubbing her eyes some, she continued, The camp here on the mountain scarcely resembles what we had last year. The fairly disorganized cluster of tents has been replaced by neat rows of small, wooden shacks with tin roofs gathered around a large, open-aired shelter that serves as the mess area. Gone are the terrified graduate students clutching their pea-shooters with white knuckles, relieved by some fifty-five well-armed men and women under the command of Lt. Dashwood.

None of our people have set foot in the swamps for fear of upsetting the Pannas more than we clearly have already simply by our presence; our supplies are lifted in by balloon every Thursday. The Pannas have, for the most part, left us alone, though from time to time they can be seen standing just beyond the treeline, watching us, but never advancing. They really are quite frightening. They appear without making a sound -- sometimes numbering half a dozen, other times two score or more. The looks on their faces -- they are not looks of anger, nor are they looks of fear. Looks of defeat, perhaps? Whatever the case, I cannot wait for the rest of the new expeditionary team to arrive so that we can get underground and out of sight of those awful cannibals. Thankfully, today is the day.
Last edited by Fanaglia on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook
OOC: Fanaglia is a steampunk nation; whenever I post IC, I'm posting from 1886. That, or from some sort of weird time rift in which my characters don't realize they are in fact 127 years in the future.
Barringtonia wrote:Only dirty hippies ride bicycles, white supremacists don't ride bicycles EVER, although the Nazis did steal a lot of bicycles from the Dutch, but that was to use the steel to make TANKS!

The power of dozens of ordinary humans simultaneously interrogating a search engine with slightly different keywords. I'm getting all teared up just thinking of the power.

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:52 pm

These are the two characters I shall be using.

Name: Dr. William H. Griffith, Ph.D
Nationality: Fanaglian
Appearance (pic optional): In good shape for his age; tall and lean, but strong.

Biography/Personality (be sure to list any relevant experience): Esteemed professor of geology and anthropology from the Tagan College of Science and Technology. He has over twenty years of experience in mountaineering and spelunking. He has written several books on volcanoes and local legends (most notably The Mysteries of the Lost Cultures of Cynfelyn). Some of his critics say that much of his anthropological work is over-speculative, but he is nearly universally well-respected in matters of geology. He has a very warm and friendly personality, though some of his female students suggest that he may be a bit overly-so.

Name: Audrey DeMille
Nationality: Fanaglian
Appearance (pic optional): Short (about a 160cm), but still stands out in a crowd.

Biography/Personality (be sure to list any relevant experience): Studied under Dr. Griffith at TCST and received a degree in anthropology in 1882 and chose to go to work writing as a correspondent for the Kraftenberg Herald. Always a bit of a thrill-seeker, her family and friends always wondered why she decided to study anthropology -- always fond of traveling, she was drawn to the idea of studying different cultures because she saw it as a way to traverse more than just the soil beneath her feet. Most of her peers consider her to be quiet, but that is mostly because her head is almost always in the clouds, lost in thought, but once she gets to know someone, she can be quite the chatterbox. She saw the expedition a year ago as a potential opportunity to be her first big story; unfortunately, she got her wish.
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook

The Holy Dominion of Inesea
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:25 pm

Reserve for Application.

Can I be the Group Doc?
I'm really tired

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:36 pm

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:Reserve for Application.

Can I be the Group Doc?

You can be pretty much whomever you want to be :)
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook

Postmaster-General

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Fanaglia wrote:
The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:Reserve for Application.

Can I be the Group Doc?

Hopefully this works out
I'm really tired

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:38 pm

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:
Fanaglia wrote:

Hopefully this works out

I hope so, too. I don't want to see it die (again). Plus, I'm a better writer than I was five years ago. I'm pretty excited :)
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook

Postmaster-General

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:39 pm

Fanaglia wrote:
The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:Hopefully this works out

I hope so, too. I don't want to see it die (again). Plus, I'm a better writer than I was five years ago. I'm pretty excited :)

So is this in Amplector or Promethia?
I'm really tired

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:50 pm

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:
Fanaglia wrote:

So is this in Amplector or Promethia?

It's about 200km southwest of Cynfel City in the Duchy of Cynfelyn, western Fanaglia (map).

Here's the original newspaper article about the discovery:

Fanaglia wrote:(Image)

Geologists Excited About New Discovery
By Reuben Saint-Claire
25 February, 1883

The scientific community is buzzing today after a recent discovery by a pair of hikers at Mont Rouge, about 200km southwest of Cynfel City. While exploring the mountain's northern slope, Cadari native Gustavo Gorski slipped on the muddy slope and dropped out of sight. He had happened to fall through a thin dome of volcanic rock into an ancient lava tube. A lava tube is a natural conduit through which lava travels beneath the surface of a lava flow during an eruption. Once cooled, they can leave behind long, cave-like channels. Gorski suffered a sprained ankle, but has expressed excitement for stumbling across such a find.

Long known to be an extinct cinder cone volcano, Mont Rouge has until recently been thought to be far from unique and has held little of geologic interest. However, upon further exploration of the newly-opened lava tube, Dr. William Griffith, a respected geologist and professor at Tagan College of Science and Technology, reports that this tube appears to be clear quite deeply into the mountain. Geologists from around the country have begun to gather in a makeshift camp set up at the base of the mountain to further examine the interior of Mont Rouge and possibly gain a new understanding of what lies beneath our great nation.
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook

Postmaster-General

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:52 pm

1883 eh?

That's post-Revolution, so there will be some expat Ineseans. I think Ill use one of those.
I'm really tired

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:05 pm

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:1883 eh?

That's post-Revolution, so there will be some expat Ineseans. I think Ill use one of those.

The original discovery was in 1883. The RP takes place a year later in July of '84
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook

Inoroth
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 19, 2012
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Inoroth » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:58 pm

Name: Dr. Davido A. Crispelli
Nationality: Inorothian
Appearance (pic optional): Somewhat short at 170 cm, but in good health

Biography/Personality (be sure to list any relevant experience): Notable professor of Biology, Zoology, and Botany at the prestigious Rothian Academy of The Sciences. He has about ten years of experience in field-work, much of it spent in the Montagni Ferro along the Ino-Servothian border, discovering several species of plant and animal during that time and writing several books, most recently Una Guida Pratica per la Scienza nel Campo, or A Practical Guide to Science in the Field. Despite that fact that he has successfully operated in some of the most remote and desolate areas in Inoroth and is no stranger to perilous circumstances, he can be somewhat absent minded and air-headed when consumed by his work, prone to carelessness and forgetting to eat or sleep unless under the eye of more practical companions and colleagues. Has always dreamed of visiting the more tropical regions of Fanaglia, and this latest discovery in Mt. Rouge has given him the financial backing he needs to make that dream a reality.

RP Sample (Optional but preferred): Vapour Member

Name: Franco E. Durroni
Appearance (pic optional): Tall and strong, with a somewhat arrogant attitude

Biography/Personality (be sure to list any relevant experience): A NCO officer in the Royal Cavalry Corps for several years before resigning in disgrace under questionable circumstances, he has since found work as hired muscle for various scientific and treasure-hunting expeditions, having travelled to Dalruanazkal, Prinnia, Gratia Infinata, and even Inorothian outposts in Oulen over the span of his career. He has never much cared for the scientific portion of his job, nor does he understand much of it -- something he secretly resents and compensates for by being bombastic and self-promoting. He does like pay, however, and that's what's brought him to Mt. Rouge -- the Rothian Academy of The Sciences has hired him to accompany Dr. Crispelli. Armed with a large caliber hunting rifle by Zaponi Arms and two cavalry pistols from his service days, Franco hopes to bag some large game (or perhaps even a native or two if he can) to ward of the boredom that he feels is sure to plague this particular expedition.
Last edited by Inoroth on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is what you make it -- I made it into a peach cobbler
cosmopolitan/nationalistic: 4%
secular/religious: 63%
visionary/reactionary: 39%
anarchistc/authoritarian: 25%
communistic/capitalistic: 37%
pacifistic/militaristic: 48%
ecological.anthropological: 66%
I am apperantly a Neo-Conservative... who knew?

Inoroth's Military Here.
Nations Represented By This Account: Inoroth, New Inorothian Space Empire,

Inoroth's Factbook Here

"A fool's words cut down friends on the eve of battle" - Vinchero

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:04 pm

Inoroth wrote:Name: Dr. Davido A. Crispelli
Appearance (pic optional): Somewhat short at 170 cm, but in good health

Biography/Personality (be sure to list any relevant experience): Notable professor of Biology, Zoology, and Botany at the prestigious Rothian Academy of The Sciences. He has about ten years of experience in field-work, much of it spent in the Montagni Ferro along the Ino-Servothian border, discovering several species of plant and animal during that time and writing several books, most recently Una Guida Pratica per la Scienza nel Campo, or A Practical Guide to Science in the Field. Despite that fact that he has successfully operated in some of the most remote and desolate areas in Inoroth and is no stranger to perilous circumstances, he can be somewhat absent minded and air-headed when consumed by his work, prone to carelessness and forgetting to eat or sleep unless under the eye of more practical companions and colleagues. Has always dreamed of visiting the more tropical regions of Fanaglia, and this latest discovery in Mt. Rouge has given him the financial backing he needs to make that dream a reality.

Name: Franco E. Durroni
Appearance (pic optional): Tall and strong, with a somewhat arrogant attitude

Biography/Personality (be sure to list any relevant experience): A NCO officer in the Royal Cavalry Corps for several years before resigning in disgrace under questionable circumstances, he has since found work as hired muscle for various scientific and treasure-hunting expeditions, having travelled to Dalruanazkal, Prinnia, Gratia Infinata, and even Inorothian outposts in Oulen over the span of his career. He has never much cared for the scientific portion of his job, nor does he understand much of it -- something he secretly resents and compensates for by being bombastic and self-promoting. He does like pay, however, and that's what's brought him to Mt. Rouge -- the Rothian Academy of The Sciences has hired him to accompany Dr. Crispelli. Armed with a large caliber hunting rifle by Zaponi Arms and two cavalry pistols from his service days, Franco hopes to bag some large game (or perhaps even a native or two if he can) to ward of the boredom that he feels is sure to plague this particular expedition.

Glad to have you aboard, as always :) But surely, Crispelli doesn't actually look like a broken jpeg, does he? If that were the case, he may unsettle some of the other players :P
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook

Inoroth
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Inoroth » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:23 am

Lol no, Fan, he does not... Weird though, that link worked when I previewed the post... Must have been taken down or moved or something...Am on mobile now, will fix one I have access to my computer again.

Inoroth's Military Here.

Inoroth's Factbook Here

Servoth
Senator

Founded: Nov 30, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Servoth » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:44 pm

I'll have a character posted when I'm not tired.
How did I get this gay?

Wesenland
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Wesenland » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:39 am

Tag

Inoroth
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Inoroth » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:35 am

Link is fixed:

Inoroth's Military Here.

Inoroth's Factbook Here

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:05 am

Inoroth wrote:Link is fixed:

(Image)

...no it isn't lol
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook

Inoroth
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Inoroth » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:08 am

... It is working just fine for me tho.

Inoroth's Military Here.

Inoroth's Factbook Here

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:57 pm

Inoroth wrote:... It is working just fine for me tho.

...weird...
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:08 pm

Inoroth wrote:... It is working just fine for me tho.

Perhaps save the photo, re-upload it to something like Imgur or Photobucket, and link to that instead?
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook

Inoroth
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Inoroth » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:34 pm

Now?

I noticed that while the old one worked on my Macbook, it did not work on my Android
phone... the only plugins I really run are Silverlight -- could that have been it?
Last edited by Inoroth on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inoroth's Military Here.

Inoroth's Factbook Here

Postmaster-General

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Name: Thongchai Atchariyaboonyong "Cherry"
Nationality: Inesean/Inesean
Occupation: Former Aristocratic Soldier, now in the employ of his friend and patron Phraisong Yongchaiyudh of the Caltec University
Appearance (pic optional): Less medals though
Biography/Personality (be sure to list any relevant experience): A former member of the Aristocratic "Golden Guard", he was pardoned by the Revolutionary Government and was hired by the People's Commission of Tribal Affairs to guard envoys, researchers, and citizens in the disputed lands. He speaks slowly and infrequently, as if his words cost him, but does speak Old Rothian like most Ineseans do as well as a tad bit of Pavelic. He could be described as educated by association, as his time spent with scientists and tribals has taught him a great many things about science and nature. During the War, he fought in the three year siege of Cuzco, one of only three thousand Aristocratic Soldiers to live(15,000+ died). He is generally calm, aware of his surroundings, and focused. He does suffer from PTSD from the horrible city warfare, but that is alleviated by being in nature.
RP Sample (Optional but preferred): Vaporite

Name: Phraisong Yongchaiyudh "Song"
Nationality: Inesean/Dolgani
Occupation: Professor of Anthropology and Sociology of the Caltec University
Appearance (pic optional): But with less bling
Biography/Personality (be sure to list any relevant experience): Born the bastard son of an Aristokine business man and a local Dolgani women, he was taken in by his father's family and raised as a sort of fourth son to support and aid his brothers. He was never going to inherit the Company or Province, but his father provided him with a job, an education, and eventually a position at the famed Caltec University in Popocatepetl. He got along amicably with his brothers, and they often funded his experiments. After the Revolution, which he supported, he was allowed to keep his position. He is a somewhat overweight fellow, with black hair and tanned complexion from his mother. He has a quick mind, often thinking faster than he can speak. He isn't very aware of his surroundings, has limited combat experience(for what survivor of the Revolution lacks at least some?) and has been bankrolled by the People's Commission of Tribal Affairs. He is a bit of a clutz, but possess a good head for numbers. His heritage as a part-Dolgani tribal have led him to his current field of study.
RP Sample (Optional but preferred): Vaporite
I'm really tired

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Inoroth wrote:Now?

(Image)

I noticed that while the old one worked on my Macbook, it did not work on my Android
phone... the only plugins I really run are Silverlight -- could that have been it?

Probably. Moral of the story: don't use Mac.

The Holy Dominion of Inesea wrote:-snip-

Excellent. Now we just need some non-Vapor members to sign up
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook

Inoroth
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Inoroth » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:38 pm

... You could asking a Mod to move this into the Multiverse -- I think more dedicated RPers lurk there than anywhere else.

Inoroth's Military Here.

Inoroth's Factbook Here

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates