NATION

PASSWORD

[Q/Request] Atheism Megathread?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
United States of Conner
Minister

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Q/Request] Atheism Megathread?

Postby United States of Conner » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:46 pm

So, seeing as we have a Christianity Megathread, an Islam Megathread, a Judiasm Megathread (?), I thought it would make sense to have an Atheism Megathread. For discussions of how one became an atheist, a poster's experience with atheism (whether religious or not), discussing the different types or sects, if you will, of atheism, that type of thing. It'll be fun! I have an OP typed up and everything.

My apologies if there already is one, I just haven't ever seen anything. A quick search for a title with 'atheism Megathread' revealed nothing,
Guns are tools, not toys.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:13 pm

We tend to make megathreads when there is a preponderance of similarly-themed threads on the first few pages of the forum. It's not an attempt to be fair to all possible viewpoints. Unless there's a problem with an over-abundance of atheism threads, we don't need a megathread.

United States of Conner
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Conner » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:24 pm

Huh. I thought it seemed like a good way to foster more conversation. A lot of talk on this subject seems to not be so thread-worthy all by itself. That might wind up creating more discussion about a topic that might otherwise be overlooked.

Regardless, mod's call. Just thought it might be a good idea.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:32 pm

A search of General topic titles shows 77 matches to "atheism" and 72 matches to "atheist", some of which are quite extensive. It's not a new topic here, nor one that has been ignored. You should look over some of that content before deciding it hasn't been properly addressed.

FWIW, that's a fairly low count for common topic titles, (i.e. 171 "abortion" thread titles). It's a popular topic, but not that popular.

United States of Conner
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Conner » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:59 pm

Alright. Thanks.

Also, dibs on making that megathread if we need it.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:54 pm

United States of Conner wrote:Alright. Thanks.

Also, dibs on making that megathread if we need it.

There was one last year. It just didn't last long.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Return to Moderation