NATION

PASSWORD

This is your wake-up call (FT-Closed OOC)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Genomita
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

This is your wake-up call (FT-Closed OOC)

Postby Genomita » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:59 am

What happens when a small expedition fleet sent by the Star Community of Genomita discovers a world inhabited by people who, while technologically advanced, were convinced they were alone in space? And what happens when that first contact is quickly followed by another with an entirely different spacefaring nation?

Those are some of the main questions I'd like to answer with this RP, as well as try to get a feel for small-scale FT combat. This RP will be limited to just Yos Namoi, Neo ORB and myself until further notice.

While the Genomitans are not a warlike people they will still defend themselves if pressed and the expedition fleet, while not armed for war includes a number of ships and soldiers of the Genomitan Defense Force, who are both well-equipped, extensively genetically modified and trained in their particular role since they were twelve (though the last two points also apply to all other genomitans, who are assigned their role in society based on the outcome of a number of aptitude tests. in addition, their training places a lot of focus on the soldiers' mental stability to prevent them from turning into crazy child soldiers. Their main task is to protect, after all.

The ships will arrive in Yos Namoi's system by way of a recently rediscovered Farcaster gate in a neighbouring system (both the living ships and the gate system used by the Genomitans are based on discoveries of their human ancestors rather than their own creation, though the Genomitans continue to improve upon both. The ships themselves are intelligent, capable of learning and view their neurally bonded pilot as something akin to a parental figure. The pilot is both responsible for the ship and guides it in an attempt to help it unlock it's full potential

The main goal of the genomitans in this scenario will be to establish and maintain peaceful contact with the Zaeri and ideally convince them to join the Star Community. They are perfectly content with asking nicely and will attempt to demonstrate the (in their eyes) obvious benefits doing so would entail, such as access to advanced organic technology, universal healthcare, a say in the community's democractic system, enough food for everyone and a peaceful and ordered life where everyone serves a role in the community (while still maintaining plenty of personal freedoms to enjoy your life as long as it doesn't interfere with your role. The Genomitans are neither easily dissuaded nor quick to respond with violence, but neither will their envoy mince words is ze believes the Zaeri are overconfident or greatly mistaken. There should be an interesting mix of values resonance and dissonance between our two nations to make dialogue possible, but not without some tensions.

Speaking of dialogue, one of the main questions we should answer before we start the IC topic is about language. Most RPs assume that there is some kind of galactic common or standard language that allows for easy communication between most spacefaring nations. Since the Zaeri are not a spacefaring people odds are pretty low that they know this language. Both the Genomitans and Neo ORB could also bring some manner of translation devices, but those might not be flawless when encountering an entirely unknown language. There's also the question of wether or not we will need a character sheet for the main charas of this RP.
I use 80BF00 for native Genomitan,4040BF for Standard and BF80000 for Skav

Yos Namoi
Envoy

Founded: Jun 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Yos Namoi » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:59 am

Genomita wrote:What happens when a small expedition fleet sent by the Star Community of Genomita discovers a world inhabited by people who, while technologically advanced, were convinced they were alone in space? And what happens when that first contact is quickly followed by another with an entirely different spacefaring nation?

Those are some of the main questions I'd like to answer with this RP, as well as try to get a feel for small-scale FT combat. This RP will be limited to just Yos Namoi, Neo ORB and myself until further notice.

While the Genomitans are not a warlike people they will still defend themselves if pressed and the expedition fleet, while not armed for war includes a number of ships and soldiers of the Genomitan Defense Force, who are both well-equipped, extensively genetically modified and trained in their particular role since they were twelve (though the last two points also apply to all other genomitans, who are assigned their role in society based on the outcome of a number of aptitude tests. in addition, their training places a lot of focus on the soldiers' mental stability to prevent them from turning into crazy child soldiers. Their main task is to protect, after all.

The ships will arrive in Yos Namoi's system by way of a recently rediscovered Farcaster gate in a neighbouring system (both the living ships and the gate system used by the Genomitans are based on discoveries of their human ancestors rather than their own creation, though the Genomitans continue to improve upon both. The ships themselves are intelligent, capable of learning and view their neurally bonded pilot as something akin to a parental figure. The pilot is both responsible for the ship and guides it in an attempt to help it unlock it's full potential

The main goal of the genomitans in this scenario will be to establish and maintain peaceful contact with the Zaeri and ideally convince them to join the Star Community. They are perfectly content with asking nicely and will attempt to demonstrate the (in their eyes) obvious benefits doing so would entail, such as access to advanced organic technology, universal healthcare, a say in the community's democractic system, enough food for everyone and a peaceful and ordered life where everyone serves a role in the community (while still maintaining plenty of personal freedoms to enjoy your life as long as it doesn't interfere with your role. The Genomitans are neither easily dissuaded nor quick to respond with violence, but neither will their envoy mince words is ze believes the Zaeri are overconfident or greatly mistaken. There should be an interesting mix of values resonance and dissonance between our two nations to make dialogue possible, but not without some tensions.

Speaking of dialogue, one of the main questions we should answer before we start the IC topic is about language. Most RPs assume that there is some kind of galactic common or standard language that allows for easy communication between most spacefaring nations. Since the Zaeri are not a spacefaring people odds are pretty low that they know this language. Both the Genomitans and Neo ORB could also bring some manner of translation devices, but those might not be flawless when encountering an entirely unknown language. There's also the question of wether or not we will need a character sheet for the main charas of this RP.

Correction, the Zaeri are a spacefaring people (they did manage to colonize their moon after all), they just haven't bothered to travel beyond their planet and moon due to lack of belief that there is anything out there besides the Sun and stars. They have the technological ability and resources necessary to develop spacecraft capable of faster-than-light travel.

But regardless, theirs is a unique and unknown language that couldn't be translated. It would be more likely that, instead of speech, they would be using hand signals and drawings and what not in order to communicate. They might also see two foreign aliens landing on their planet as the beginning of an invasion, and would likely react with hostility upon learning this. Not necessarily violent hostility, but hostility nonetheless.

Genomita
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Genomita » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:07 am

My bad then ^^ Though I'm curious, what would make it impossible to translate? The genomitan envoys have their fair share of experience with alien languages and could work something out in time, though gestures, drawings and the like would be a start. If things go favorably they might try to convince some of the Zaeri to let them install an implant that imparts knowledge of spoken and written standard (though it would still require some practice to achieve fluency) though it remains to be seen if relations get to that point.

Also, we should probably try to establish how effective our soldiers and their equipment will be against each other In case combat breaks out.

Yos Namoi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Yos Namoi » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:14 am

Genomita wrote:My bad then ^^ Though I'm curious, what would make it impossible to translate? The genomitan envoys have their fair share of experience with alien languages and could work something out in time, though gestures, drawings and the like would be a start. If things go favorably they might try to convince some of the Zaeri to let them install an implant that imparts knowledge of spoken and written standard (though it would still require some practice to achieve fluency) though it remains to be seen if relations get to that point.

Also, we should probably try to establish how effective our soldiers and their equipment will be against each other In case combat breaks out.

By "impossible" I meant very difficult/not easy. I also have sincere doubts they'd let anybody put something on/in them, especially foreigners. They'd be pretty suspicious about that kind of thing, and they don't much trust outsiders much.

I expect combat to break out, to be honest. I'm kind of hoping it will, it'll make things more interesting.

Genomita
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Genomita » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:42 am

Spoken like a true Zaeri I suppose ^^ And they might not be willing to let someone implant with anything at this stage, but I'm sure even among the Zaeri are some people who are more openminded or curious about new things than others. Unless your people are all part of the same hive mind, it's only realistic to expect that some will be more welcoming of change than others.

And I just hope neo ORB is still interested in this RP. He has yet to respond to the message I sent him.

Yos Namoi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Yos Namoi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:37 pm

Genomita wrote:Spoken like a true Zaeri I suppose ^^ And they might not be willing to let someone implant with anything at this stage, but I'm sure even among the Zaeri are some people who are more openminded or curious about new things than others. Unless your people are all part of the same hive mind, it's only realistic to expect that some will be more welcoming of change than others.

And I just hope neo ORB is still interested in this RP. He has yet to respond to the message I sent him.

No, not a hivemind. But combine their isolationism, distrust of outsiders, and a brief encounter with aliens that they know little to nothing about, and I doubt many would be lining up. Most probably wouldn't even be allowed to, anyway.

Curiosity and open mindfulness aren't common traits in Zaeri society.

Phoenix Conclave
Attaché

Founded: Nov 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenix Conclave » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:21 pm

An interesting premise going here, hope you guys manage to get things started and keep it moving. I'll be keeping any eye on this one.

Genomita
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Genomita » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:22 am

I'm glad to hear you like the premise ^^ I'll try to get the IC topic started tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Yos Namoi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Yos Namoi » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:40 pm

Genomita wrote:I'm glad to hear you like the premise ^^ I'll try to get the IC topic started tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

A'ight.

Genomita
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Genomita » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:45 pm

I was gonna post the IC topic today but appearantly my wlan stick has either died or reset for some reason. I don't know how long it will take to fix the issue, so I'm posting this from my mobile to let you know what's going on.

Yos Namoi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Yos Namoi » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:08 pm

Genomita wrote:I was gonna post the IC topic today but appearantly my wlan stick has either died or reset for some reason. I don't know how long it will take to fix the issue, so I'm posting this from my mobile to let you know what's going on.

Alright then. Let me known when you can get it up and running.

Neo ORB
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo ORB » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:43 pm

Yos Namoi wrote:
Genomita wrote:I was gonna post the IC topic today but appearantly my wlan stick has either died or reset for some reason. I don't know how long it will take to fix the issue, so I'm posting this from my mobile to let you know what's going on.

Alright then. Let me known when you can get it up and running.

of the same opinion. we'll be happily waiting.
The Nare [FT]/Shattered Day Enterprise's [FT]
2015 P2TM Nominated for Best School-based RP character
There is no Neo Orb. Only "The Nare". Unless its MT.

Genomita
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Genomita » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:23 pm

Alright, I got my connection back and appearantly better than ever thanks to a new wlan-router. I'll try to get the OP done this weekend or next monday at the latest.

Yos Namoi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Yos Namoi » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:36 pm

Genomita wrote:Alright, I got my connection back and appearantly better than ever thanks to a new wlan-router. I'll try to get the OP done this weekend or next monday at the latest.

Alright then.

Genomita
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Genomita » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Thanks for waiting everyone, here's the link to the IC topic: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=351142

And I apologize in advance for throwing all that exposition at you. I hope it's at least somewhat interesting to read. I didn't want them to arrive in the system immediately to give you some time to prepare and set the mood on your world.

Yos Namoi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Yos Namoi » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Genomita wrote:Thanks for waiting everyone, here's the link to the IC topic: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=351142

And I apologize in advance for throwing all that exposition at you. I hope it's at least somewhat interesting to read. I didn't want them to arrive in the system immediately to give you some time to prepare and set the mood on your world.

I'll try to post tomorrow.

Yos Namoi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Yos Namoi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:28 pm

Yos Namoi wrote:
Genomita wrote:Thanks for waiting everyone, here's the link to the IC topic: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=351142

I'll try to post tomorrow.

Posted!

Genomita
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Genomita » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:16 pm

I can't seem to come up with anything good today even though I have a lot of things in mind for this post, so I'll try to get it done tomorrow instead. Sorry to keep you waiting like this.

Yos Namoi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Yos Namoi » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:10 pm

Genomita wrote:I can't seem to come up with anything good today even though I have a lot of things in mind for this post, so I'll try to get it done tomorrow instead. Sorry to keep you waiting like this.

No problem.

Genomita
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Genomita » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:51 am

I'm sorry for the long wait. I didn't get a whole lot of sleep last week but I'll try to finish my reply tomorrow or the day after. i already got a draft in the works.

Yos Namoi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Yos Namoi » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:37 am

Genomita wrote:I'm sorry for the long wait. I didn't get a whole lot of sleep last week but I'll try to finish my reply tomorrow or the day after. i already got a draft in the works.

Alright then, no hard feelings.

Genomita
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Genomita » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:48 pm

I originally wanted to post my reply yesterday, but connection issues and other distraction prevented me from doing so. I'll make sure to reply sooner in the future.

Yos Namoi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Yos Namoi » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:24 pm

Genomita wrote:I originally wanted to post my reply yesterday, but connection issues and other distraction prevented me from doing so. I'll make sure to reply sooner in the future.

Nice to hear it, I hope that will be the case. I'm not usually this patient. :p

But really, if your busy or forget or get distracted I understand. I've been guilty of those things a few times myself, though not in this RP.

Yos Namoi
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Yos Namoi » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:24 am

New post is up!

Genomita
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Genomita » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:38 am

I guess I#m not the only one here who read the Mass Effect fanfic First Contact by Animus of Masada. Either that, or the Zaeri's approach to first contact is just similar because it IS a very sensible approach to communicating with another species without real knowledge of their language.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents