NATION

PASSWORD

Has the US Supreme Court Usurped State's Rights?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
United Federation of the World
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Has the US Supreme Court Usurped State's Rights?

Postby United Federation of the World » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:04 pm

Myself find gay marriage as an acceptable act. It has been shown in several nationwide surveys that same-sex marriage has become acceptable to the majority, in stark contrast to several years ago. Nonetheless, gay marriage should be legal in the United States, but, as I am a heterosexual male, it doesn't directly affect me, hence why I'm okay with such being passed into law.

However, this thread is not about gay marriage and if it should be legal, but instead, if the way it was made legal in the United States is, in fact, correct.

Let me explain further:

The Supreme Court is composed of nine unelected, appointed, Justices. Five voted for the legality of homosexual marriage and four against. Granted, they are part of the federal governmnet, but they are unelected officials.

My case resides on the soul belief that this was a usurpation of the state's rights. Elected legislatures from the states, not the federal governmet, should be passing laws in regard to this. However, if this motion and idea was passed through the proper and correct legislative process in Washington, of course being signed into law by our liberal President Barack Obama, then I would have been set with this being a law which no state should supersede.

In this case, sadly, five unelected and appointed Justices changed the marriage laws for fifty states. How does that seem fair? How does this adhere to our practiced traditions of a democratic process? In short, it doesn't. To me this is a blatant over extension of the Supreme Court into which they interpreted the Constitution, their legal and constitutional responsibility, interjected their political agenda into it, which has been done before by both sides of the political spectrum, and finally took away the power of every single last state legislative body.

I'm sad to say this but I believe states should not abide by this ruling. Granted, the logical argument of: 'Is homosexual marriage morally, legally, constitutionally, and fully correct' should be saved for another time. In this thread I wish to discuss if the way by which this was enacted is correct to you.

As a disclaimer, I mean no offense to anyone, homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, or transexual, but I want my opinion to be heard and those who live in the United States and understand the beliefs of this nation's political democratic ideology should chime in.

Alcase
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcase » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:07 pm

The Supreme Court is a fine enough way to ensure peoples' civil rights are protected.
Overview of Alcase
Alcasian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Alcasian Armed Forces

Track & XC 400m, 800m, 1600m, 5000m
2014 FHSAA XC Finals - 9th Place
2014 FHSAA XC Region 3A1 Runner-Ups
2014 BCAA Championship Runner-Ups
2014 Spanish River Invitational Boy's Champions Runner-Up
2013 FHSAA XC Finals - 12th Place
2013 Cardinal Gibbons Invitational Boy's Champions
2013 3A State Championship Boy's 4 x 800m - 3rd Place
2013 District 3A-15 Boy's Champions

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Floating Island of the Sleeping God » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:09 pm

The right didn't make a fuss over Citizens United. They didn't complain about "unelected judges" after Hobby Lobby. At any rate, we don't live in a direct democracy. As I said in the other thread, a direct democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on who to eat for dinner. Did you know that in the 1960's, more than half of Americans wanted interracial marriage to be illegal? But the Supreme Court overruled them, because our laws are based on equality, not people's whims.
"When Fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and bearing the cross."
-Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here
The Blaatschapen wrote:Just to note, liberals are not sheep. Sheep are liberals ;)

Catholic Priest of Lithianity

The French Remnant
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The French Remnant » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:09 pm

Alcase wrote:The Supreme Court is a fine enough way to ensure peoples' civil rights are protected.

As stated in the Constitution, no one should be judge on what they like, your race, or religion.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:11 pm

Constitutional law is clearly in favor of same sex marriage. The states do not have the right to deny any group equal protection under the law.

Indhir
Envoy

Founded: Jun 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Indhir » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:11 pm

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God wrote:The right didn't make a fuss over Citizens United. They didn't complain about "unelected judges" after Hobby Lobby. At any rate, we don't live in a direct democracy. As I said in the other thread, a direct democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on who to eat for dinner. Did you know that in the 1960's, more than half of Americans wanted interracial marriage to be illegal? But the Supreme Court overruled them, because our laws are based on equality, not people's whims.

So it's basically a dictatorship, where the supreme leader is equality?
Consort and Justice officer of the International East Union
I am a Catholic, Social Democrat, Progressive and Patriot
Pro: Same-Sex Marriage, Pro-Life, Nordic Model Capitalism, Democracy, the SNP, Sinn Fein, Old IRA,
Anti: Fascism, Totalitarianism, Dictatorships, Monarchism, Conservatives, Anti Antifa, Homophobia, Racism, Islamic Extremism, Religious Law

Middle Pacific
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Middle Pacific » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:11 pm

United Federation of the World wrote:However, if this motion and idea was passed through the proper and correct legislative process in Washington, of course being signed into law by our liberal President Barack Obama, then I would have been set with this being a law which no state should supersede.

It could not have happened that way. It's not possible. Congress does not have such a power.

States have ultimate power over regulating marriage, insofar as the Constitution of the United States is adhered to - i.e. no discrimination on the basis of race (Loving v. Virginia) or gender/sex/sexuality (Obergefell v. Hodges) per the 14th Amendment.
#LoveWins: Beautiful progression video of the March of Marriage Equality, Chorus singing after SCOTUS decision
Proud American living in the great state of Hawaii.
Asian/Native Hawaiian. Buddhist. Progressive-liberal. Resident of Honolulu, Oahu Island.

Barack Obama / Joe Biden for America 2012 David Ige / Shan Tsutsui for Hawaii 2014/2018
Hillary Clinton / TBD for America 2016 Mazie Hirono & Brian Schatz for US Senate 2012/2014
Tulsi Gabbard & Mark Takai for US House of Representatives 2014/2016
Policy positions: Increased funding for NASA / 7th Mission to the Moon and Mission to Mars by 2030, renewable energy at 50% by 2035, strengthen naval presence in Asia-Pacific and military presence in NATO states in Eastern Europe.

Great Eurasian Russia (Ancient)
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 08, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Great Eurasian Russia (Ancient) » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:14 pm

Indhir wrote:
The Floating Island of the Sleeping God wrote:The right didn't make a fuss over Citizens United. They didn't complain about "unelected judges" after Hobby Lobby. At any rate, we don't live in a direct democracy. As I said in the other thread, a direct democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on who to eat for dinner. Did you know that in the 1960's, more than half of Americans wanted interracial marriage to be illegal? But the Supreme Court overruled them, because our laws are based on equality, not people's whims.

*approves*

The Floating Island of the Sleeping God
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Floating Island of the Sleeping God » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:14 pm

Indhir wrote:

That's one way to put it. That's a bit like saying capitalism is a dictatorship where the supreme leader is self-interest/greed. Not entirely inaccurate, but definitely a negative and flawed way of phrasing the situation.
"When Fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and bearing the cross."
-Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here
The Blaatschapen wrote:Just to note, liberals are not sheep. Sheep are liberals ;)

Catholic Priest of Lithianity

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of the World » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Alcase wrote:The Supreme Court is a fine enough way to ensure peoples' civil rights are protected.

Yet, the Supreme Court, arguably one of the weakest parts of the federal government should be able to overstep large numbers of state legislatures who do not support gay marriage. It is wrong that appointed officials should be able to demand that the elected members of the legislatures silence their beliefs that their constituents elected them on. If the states do not support such a ruling they should nullify it, just as done before. It will be a tricky slope but they should not be forced to obey members of a entity we did not elected. Such injustice can be found in the reasoning behind our patriots during the revolutionary war. 'No taxation without representation' should indeed be applied here. Minus the taxation, we did not ask for those Justices, hence why they shouldn't be demanding submission from us on issue they support but our legislatures don't.

Palakistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Palakistan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:18 pm

United Federation of the World wrote:

Yet, the Supreme Court, arguably one of the weakest parts of the federal government should be able to overstep large numbers of state legislatures who do not support gay marriage. It is wrong that appointed officials should be able to demand that the elected members of the legislatures silence their beliefs that their constituents elected them on. If the states do not support such a ruling they should nullify it, just as done before. It will be a tricky slope but they should not be forced to obey members of a entity we did not elected. Such injustice can be found in the reasoning behind our patriots during the revolutionary war. 'No taxation without representation' should indeed be applied here. Minus the taxation, we did not ask for those Justices, hence why they shouldn't be demanding submission from us on issue they support but our legislatures don't.

I agree with you here. What's next? Complete gun bans? Military police?
My stats are frozen at 10%
I annoy lots of people with my views. Sorry abou' that.

Your worst In Character enemy should be your best Out Of Character friend.
- to you who said that: genius!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:19 pm

Looking to overturn loving vs Virginia?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Bogdanov Vishniac
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bogdanov Vishniac » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:21 pm

One of the purposes of the Supreme Court under US federal law is to act as the court of final appeal for state court cases. A lawsuit was brought before the Supreme Court from one of those state courts that challenged the constitutionality of state same-sex marriage bans. SCOTUS ruled that same-sex marriage bans were unconstitutional under the Fourteenth Amendment, and that the right to marriage thereby extended to everyone regardless of sex.

There was no usurpation of state authority involved here. Everything functioned the way it should in US law - a law's constitutionality was challenged in court, and SCOTUS ruled that the law was unconstitutional and was thereby struck down. The Constitution is the supreme law of the land in the US, and has been ever since the United States was established (more or less). If the states don't like that fact, they're welcome to try and use the legal channels present to try and change that Constitution.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:22 pm

no the supreme court hasn't usurped states' rights. it has clarified their limits as regards marriage.

unfair? fairness has nothing to do with it. this is the system we have had for 200+ years. no need to whine about it now.
whatever

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:23 pm

United Federation of the World wrote:Myself find gay marriage as an acceptable act. It has been shown in several nationwide surveys that same-sex marriage has become acceptable to the majority, in stark contrast to several years ago. Nonetheless, gay marriage should be legal in the United States, but, as I am a heterosexual male, it doesn't directly affect me, hence why I'm okay with such being passed into law.

However, this thread is not about gay marriage and if it should be legal, but instead, if the way it was made legal in the United States is, in fact, correct.

Let me explain further:

The Supreme Court is composed of nine unelected, appointed, Justices. Five voted for the legality of homosexual marriage and four against. Granted, they are part of the federal governmnet, but they are unelected officials.

My case resides on the soul belief that this was a usurpation of the state's rights. Elected legislatures from the states, not the federal governmet, should be passing laws in regard to this. However, if this motion and idea was passed through the proper and correct legislative process in Washington, of course being signed into law by our liberal President Barack Obama, then I would have been set with this being a law which no state should supersede.

In this case, sadly, five unelected and appointed Justices changed the marriage laws for fifty states. How does that seem fair? How does this adhere to our practiced traditions of a democratic process? In short, it doesn't. To me this is a blatant over extension of the Supreme Court into which they interpreted the Constitution, their legal and constitutional responsibility, interjected their political agenda into it, which has been done before by both sides of the political spectrum, and finally took away the power of every single last state legislative body.

I'm sad to say this but I believe states should not abide by this ruling. Granted, the logical argument of: 'Is homosexual marriage morally, legally, constitutionally, and fully correct' should be saved for another time. In this thread I wish to discuss if the way by which this was enacted is correct to you.

As a disclaimer, I mean no offense to anyone, homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, or transexual, but I want my opinion to be heard and those who live in the United States and understand the beliefs of this nation's political democratic ideology should chime in.

No, the Supreme Court has not usurped state's rights. It can not because states don't have rights, people do.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Sam Hyde
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sam Hyde » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Indhir wrote:

We have lost.
What the critics are saying:
Redsection wrote:Idk if your an racist , but you are funny in an weird way.
WCJNSTBH wrote:Sam Hyde is the least racist motherfucker in this thread.
Confederate Ramenia wrote:This is when he showed the world that he was based; that he was not a cuck; that he is not a degenerate. This will be a crucial moment and I want to preserve this.
Byzantium Imperial wrote:You sir are a legend

Indhir
Envoy

Founded: Jun 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Indhir » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
United Federation of the World wrote:Myself find gay marriage as an acceptable act. It has been shown in several nationwide surveys that same-sex marriage has become acceptable to the majority, in stark contrast to several years ago. Nonetheless, gay marriage should be legal in the United States, but, as I am a heterosexual male, it doesn't directly affect me, hence why I'm okay with such being passed into law.

Let me explain further:

No, the Supreme Court has not usurped state's rights. It can not because states don't have rights, people do.

And those people in those states have elected people that have their views, and if those views are anti-LGBT then that's that.
Welcome to the land of the free, where unelected officials have more power than elected officials.
Consort and Justice officer of the International East Union
I am a Catholic, Social Democrat, Progressive and Patriot
Pro: Same-Sex Marriage, Pro-Life, Nordic Model Capitalism, Democracy, the SNP, Sinn Fein, Old IRA,
Anti: Fascism, Totalitarianism, Dictatorships, Monarchism, Conservatives, Anti Antifa, Homophobia, Racism, Islamic Extremism, Religious Law

Sam Hyde
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Sam Hyde » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:27 pm

Indhir wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:No, the Supreme Court has not usurped state's rights. It can not because states don't have rights, people do.

And those people in those states have elected people that have their views, and if those views are anti-LGBT then that's that.
Welcome to the land of the free, where unelected officials have more power than elected officials.

Also, on the Supreme Court has someone who explicitly stated they're going to be looking after their own ethnic interests rather than the interests of the nation as a whole.

I believe she described herself as a "wise Latina".
What the critics are saying:
Redsection wrote:Idk if your an racist , but you are funny in an weird way.
WCJNSTBH wrote:Sam Hyde is the least racist motherfucker in this thread.
Confederate Ramenia wrote:This is when he showed the world that he was based; that he was not a cuck; that he is not a degenerate. This will be a crucial moment and I want to preserve this.
Byzantium Imperial wrote:You sir are a legend

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of the World » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:27 pm

Indhir wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:No, the Supreme Court has not usurped state's rights. It can not because states don't have rights, people do.

And that's the point I am arguing for. State's rights do exist and should be protected from this abuse and the many others it has suffered throughout the years.

Bogdanov Vishniac
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Bogdanov Vishniac » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:28 pm

Indhir wrote:And those people in those states have elected people that have their views, and if those views are anti-LGBT then that's that.

The Constitution has ultimate legal authority in the US. You don't get to vote away constitutional rights whenever a state wants to - that's the whole point of a constitution.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:31 pm

Indhir wrote:And those people in those states have elected people that have their views, and if those views are anti-LGBT then that's that.

How far does this go? If the majority of people in a state wanted to exterminate all gays, should we let them?

Middle Pacific
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Middle Pacific » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:34 pm

Indhir wrote:.

Yes, welcome to the land of the free, where the idea that human rights are innate and inherent is upheld, and the Constitution prevents state governments or the federal government from having laws that oppress a minority.
#LoveWins: Beautiful progression video of the March of Marriage Equality, Chorus singing after SCOTUS decision
Proud American living in the great state of Hawaii.
Asian/Native Hawaiian. Buddhist. Progressive-liberal. Resident of Honolulu, Oahu Island.

Barack Obama / Joe Biden for America 2012 David Ige / Shan Tsutsui for Hawaii 2014/2018
Hillary Clinton / TBD for America 2016 Mazie Hirono & Brian Schatz for US Senate 2012/2014
Tulsi Gabbard & Mark Takai for US House of Representatives 2014/2016
Policy positions: Increased funding for NASA / 7th Mission to the Moon and Mission to Mars by 2030, renewable energy at 50% by 2035, strengthen naval presence in Asia-Pacific and military presence in NATO states in Eastern Europe.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Amazing. Really.
We are talking about giving people MORE rights. No rights whatsoever were taken away.

And yet people desperately seek something to undo that.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:40 pm

You have to wonder, did the same people bitching about the Supreme Court right now bitch about it back in 2000 when it practically decided the election?
Last edited by Gauthier on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:40 pm

Yet, the Supreme Court, arguably one of the weakest parts of the federal government

>Weakest part
>Final say on how to interpret the Constitution as it stands

I love how everyone is making a fuss over how the SCOTUS is selected (there is a reason why they aren't elected) now. Not on any previous other ruling that shoved things down states and people who opposed it down their throats. No it's now.

Jesus fucking Christ, this is why civics should be a mandatory course for everyone in school.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General