NATION

PASSWORD

Eldona: Two Referenda on Homosexuality

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Your Opinion

I support both.
No votes
I support neither.
100%
I support the Definition of Marriage Amendment, but not the other.
No votes
I support the Exception of Homosexual Speech Amendment, but not the other.
No votes

Total votes : 10

Eldona
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Eldona: Two Referenda on Homosexuality

Postby Eldona » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:58 pm

Controversial Referenda Seek Passage

Prime Minister Brom (Labour) reading off this year's proposed amendments on EBC.

On the First of July - the customary "Referenda Day" - Eldonians will be voting on two high-profile amendments (among others), which has garnered the interest international media, with many of whom hoping for a "social-revolution" akin to what has happened in Ireland this year.

There are six total referenda on the ballot, but the ones of interest are the two regarding homosexuality, a taboo subject in Eldonian politics (aside from the civic radicals of the Progress Party). These have been long sought-after by the socially (and defensively) conservatives parties, which as of the most recent election has set aside the economic disagreements to pursue a "social counter-revolution."

The amendment process in Eldona requires first the support of 85% of the Eldonian National Council, not an easy feat. Step two is referenda approval by simple majority. The final step in the progress is to gain the signature of the King. King Shär has said that he would enshrine both of these proposed amendments if passed.

The first relating to (not directly mentioning) the issue of homosexuality (and other anomalous spousal preferences) is PA 2015-B (The Definition of Marriage Amendment), which would define marriage as a union between one consenting man and one consenting woman:
Enshrining that marriage in Eldonia consists only of the union of one
willing man and one willing woman and prohibiting the creation or recognition of
any legal status identical or similar to marriage.

PA 2015-B is expected to pass in a landslide, as it was never proposed before on grounds that it was common-sense and unnecessary.

The other, more controversial one is PA 2015-E (The Exception of Homosexual Speech Amendment) , which would criminalize homosexual propaganda as a foot-note to the Freedom of Speech.
Making unprotected the spreading of propaganda in support of homosexuality.

PA 2015-E wouldn't criminalize the spreading of such propaganda per se, but would make it possible for provincial councils to do so, for the National Council does not normally regulate social policy. It is not certain what the outcome of this amendment will be. Opinion polls for this state that ~45% For, ~43% Against, ~12% Unsure.

Dmètria Bàriz, EBC in English
Last edited by Eldona on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Goryevdre Islands
Envoy

Founded: Oct 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Goryevdre Islands » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:28 pm

Following the announcement of the two referenda topics to be voted on in Eldona this year, the Goryevdren Councillor for Foreign Affairs, Sir Zackery Bunkey, made the following statement:

Press Release
The Right Honourable Sir Zackery Bunkey MC KCGI LSM OAE
Councillor for Foreign Affairs

Although we respect the democratic process, we urge the Eldonian people to vote against these two amendments which will both repress homosexuals in your country, particularly amendment PA 2015-E. To repress someone based on their own sexual orientation is absurd and is a sign of a backward-looking society, not a society embracing changing public opinion around the world. These obnoxious amendments will do much to cement the view that Eldona is in fact a backward-looking nation, that cannot see the bigger picture of these events. Everyone is born a human, and we all die a human. There is nothing to suggest that homosexuals are so inferior as to be afforded less rights than heterosexuals. The Eldonian people have the power to make these choices, and so it is in their hands. We only hope they can make an informed decision using balanced information, and not based on some peculiar superstition.

Eldona
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Eldona » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:49 pm

Polls Open on Referenda Day

Magrèt Mìkaz, elderly farm-matriarch, the first voter to show up in her rural precinct.

The day starts early, in pastoral Eldona, and in accordance to tradition, the polling places open early as well. At 05:00, the referenda is open, and will close at 22:00.

Of the six proposed amendments (PAs) on this years ballot, two have gotten the most buzz; the one set to define the fundamental institution of marriage, and one that would limit Freedom of Speech.

PA 2015-B, the one set to clarify the meaning of marriage, is expected to pass overwhelmingly, it has made the news on the sole fact that it is controversial abroad. The other one, however, strikes nerves, even among Eldona's many religious social conservatives, an amendment that would limit freedom of speech regarding homosexual propaganda.

"I do not think it is necessary," said Fr Dvàrin Kirz, "we are a civil society whose people display tact in public. We should not limit other's speech, anymore we want some radical to start telling us what is politically correct to preach!" Fr Kirz has stated that he supports the amendment defining marriage, however.

Magrèt Mìkaz, 83 and a self-described "wife and mother of farmers", was the first to show up in her rural district. "I think both are a good idea." she said, "We can't redefine marriage just because we want to feel special, its sad that we feel that we need to clarify. As for the other, we don't go around gossiping about bedroom-matters any way. It's their business, and we do not need to hear about it, anymore than I think any of you want to hear about my bedroom-matters."

In uptown Treï Sizèt, we found one Vìktur Tànindar, a regular Progress Party voter with an SUV's bumper-full of bumper-stickers proving it. "I think it is time Eldona evolved a little," he went on "it's time for her to grow up and get with the times. Gay is in, religious people be d*mned."

Han Shèmian, EBC in English

The Goryevdre Islands wrote:Following the announcement of the two referenda topics to be voted on in Eldona this year, the Goryevdren Councillor for Foreign Affairs, Sir Zackery Bunkey, made the following statement:

Press Release
The Right Honourable Sir Zackery Bunkey MC KCGI LSM OAE
Councillor for Foreign Affairs

Although we respect the democratic process, we urge the Eldonian people to vote against these two amendments which will both repress homosexuals in your country, particularly amendment PA 2015-E. To repress someone based on their own sexual orientation is absurd and is a sign of a backward-looking society, not a society embracing changing public opinion around the world. These obnoxious amendments will do much to cement the view that Eldona is in fact a backward-looking nation, that cannot see the bigger picture of these events. Everyone is born a human, and we all die a human. There is nothing to suggest that homosexuals are so inferior as to be afforded less rights than heterosexuals. The Eldonian people have the power to make these choices, and so it is in their hands. We only hope they can make an informed decision using balanced information, and not based on some peculiar superstition.

The following statement was sent to the Goryevdren Councillor for Foreign Affairs
To the Office of the Right Honourable Sir Zackery Bunkey, MC KCGI LSM OAE

Our government respects your valid concerns regarding the human rights of homosexuals in Eldona. On behalf of the Brom Government, I wish to inform you, that even if the more stringent PA 2015-E is passed, any repression will not go beyond a single topic of public discussion. Even PA 2015-E will have virtually no impact of personal lives in Eldona. The government is first and foremost dedicated to the people and democratic-republicanism, and will make certain that the people's will is carried out.

Sincerely,
Dame Torȉn Sùkrö, Minister of External Affairs

This is my first real RP, and I would appreciate pointers. This is kinda fun. :)

Eldona
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Eldona » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:01 pm

RESULTS

The National Authority of Referenda and Elections (NARE) has released the following results.

Turnout was at 96.3% (2,014,215 voters).

(...)

PA 2015-B (The Definition of Marriage Amendment) was affirmed by the Electorate.

For: 1,762,438 (87.5%)
Against: 251,777 (12.5%)

(...)

PA 2015-E (The Exception of Homosexual Speech Amendment) was denied by the Electorate.

For: 952,738 (47.4%)
Against: 1,059,477 (52.6%)
Last edited by Eldona on Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to NationStates