NATION

PASSWORD

A Prothean Discovery (Closed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

A Prothean Discovery (Closed)

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:44 pm

IC

Prothean Discovery

An Atomic Age space themed Dungeon Crawl where in characters will attempt to reach an artifact that is deep with in a complex on Mars. This RP has elements of Science Fantasy, and Space Western.

The Artifact
The Control Rod - An alien device capable of manipulating the weather, and seismic forces of what ever world it is on; a device with potential for great good, and the capacity to destroy. It can do something as simple as create light rain in the wielder's region, or as dramatic as to cause a powerful eruption. The device was sealed away by an ancient civilization, and it's location has only now been uncovered.

Mars
Human settlements are the few places on Mars where Slavery is outlawed, and due to the International Space Treaty these settlements will not officially belong to any terrestrial government- but that doesn't change a settlement's national roots. Soviets where the first to settle mars, and establish mining operations. None Soviets largely did the same, and a rail system is currently being constructed across the Martian Equator.

The Warlords of Mars have been known to target lone transports for slaves who they sell to the Octopods who in turn grant the Warlord's fine weapons of war. Black Martians continue to dwelling in ruining cities, or nomadic bands; some times trading with the Human Settlers, though this is about the extent of relations as the Black Martians are weary of the new comers.

Player Races
  • Humans - Coming from the blue and green world they call Earth Humans; known to others as 'Earth Men' are a race of many shades, faiths, and governments though modern Earth holds a very democratic 'free world' feel, and the Earth Men are prone to promote these ideals of equality, justice, and fair government where ever they go. Yet even with this Humans tend to fall into two categories in politics; Republicans who promote free enterprise, and Soviets who promote a cooperative state economy. Both tend to dislike monarchies but the Soviet is more likely to openly declare them evil then the Republican who may seek simply to limit a Monarchy's power. Humans where once targeted by the Octopods for slavery, and a number where taken to Mars for that purpose.
  • Black Martians - Black Martians are ebony skinned humanoids lacking mouths and speaking though telepathy. Like the Red Martians they hold a proud heritage as heirs to a mighty culture resembling the Egyptian and Roman societies of Earth. Black Martians where early slaves of the Octopods before it was found that the Red Martians made better slaves; for they lack the telepathic powers of the ebony race.
    • Dust is our Sustenance: Black Martians gain nourishment though their skin, and thus need not feed as most other races do.
    • Telepathy: Black Martians are Telepathic.
    • Poison Susceptibility: Due to the Black Martians means of gaining nourishment their bodies suffer more from poison and poison like effects. Gases being especially deadly to them.
  • Octopods - Known as the Overlords of Mars; the Octopods are a highly intelligent race of land dwelling creatures resembling the Octopuses of Earth. In addition to their great intellect they possess a keen strength; and can crush most humanoids with the force of their tentacles. They make expansive use of Humanoid Slave Labor on their home world.
  • Plutonian - These blue to snow white skinned humanoids are adept to the frozen temperatures of Pluto. They tend to be taller then Humans, with the Earth Men referring to them as 'Ice Giants' who stand just under three meters in height. They form clandoms governed by high chiefs on their homeworld. Those clans with access to rocket technology have taken to raiding the stars for the glory of their clan.
    • Body of Ice: Plutonians are resistant to extreme cold.
    • Giant's Strength: Size is taken into account.
    • Heat is our Bane: Plutonians can not handle heat.
  • Red Martians - Red Martians are a red skinned, sometimes horned or tailed race of humanoids who dwell on Mars. The stereotypical image of a Red Martian is a warlord who surrounds himself in prizes of gold, and slaves. Red Martians are a warrior race with a manipulative, deal making, and seductive tendency. They do what they can to get to the top of society, and stay there. The stronger among them sell the weaker, and the constant rivalry between the Warlords of Mars fuels the slave trade.
  • Venusian Siren - Dwelling in the deep pools of Venus is an amphibious race of nymph like sea dwellers with an alluring voice. Settlers of Venus have been warned; for once the intoxicating touch of a Siren is made, it is hard not to follow her commands.
    • Song of the Soul: A Siren can use music to influence the thoughts of those afflicted by it's oils as a kind of hypnotism. As with any hypnotism their are limits; for example, a Siren couldn't get one of it's afflicted to believe that fire is water. The process is a gradual thing.
    • Toxic Beauty: A Siren's skin is coated in a thin layer of oils that react to open flesh in a way that seems to naturally charm those who have made contact with the oils. The more one is exposed to these oils the more they come to see the Siren as precious, and the more they will seek to protect the Siren.

Class Options
details at present
  • Engineer
  • Ranger
  • Scientist
  • Scoundrel: Scoundrels are rogues- good, bad, and neutral who either live outside (or in the fringe of) the law or fight against it in order to get the upperhand. Scoundrel's get by on bravado, cunnind, duplicity, and trickery. They have a nack for getting into, and out of trouble.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Pistols and Short Swords
    • Barter: The Scoundrel can buy items 10% cheaper, and sell items for 10% more then they are valued.
    • Lucky: Any failed reflex check is rerolled.
    • Precision Attack: Once during an encounter a Scoundrel can add one to their attack roll.
  • Warrior

Equipment
(For this time consider Ray guns, Bolt Action Rifles, and Photonic Pistols approved along with swords, and other medieval arms)

Character Sheet
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b] (Your character's name)
[b]Class:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b] (Human, Red Martian, etc)
[b]World of Origin:[/b] (your homeworld)
[b]Biographical Summary:[/b] (a bit about your character from their past to personality and aspirations)

[b]Notes:[/b] (Class abilities, equipment, species attributes, and the character's own creations)

Characters
Last edited by Harbertia on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 37 times in total.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

WHYYYY
Senator

Founded: Feb 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby WHYYYY » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:47 pm

Hmmm. Question: what is a dungeon crawl? Also, could it be at all possible we can suggest races(if they work)
Sorry moderators.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:51 pm

WHYYYY wrote:Hmmm. Question: what is a dungeon crawl? Also, could it be at all possible we can suggest races(if they work)

You may suggest races; and a Dungeon Crawl is as follows:

A Dungeon Crawl is an RP where the characters form parties (in this case crews) with the aim of making it though a complex of halls, caverns, and chambers in order to reach an artifact of great power or to vanquish a great evil.

Dungeon Crawls involve a stat system, and Permadeath. Characters live and die based on their actions, and a roll of chance.

The latter of which will be handled by me, your host :)

I will be pleased to review any race and/or class suggestions you and other players have.

Edit: Are you still interested?
Last edited by Harbertia on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

WHYYYY
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WHYYYY » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:00 pm

Harbertia wrote:
WHYYYY wrote:Hmmm. Question: what is a dungeon crawl? Also, could it be at all possible we can suggest races(if they work)

You may suggest races; and a Dungeon Crawl is as follows:

A Dungeon Crawl is an RP where the characters form parties (in this case crews) with the aim of making it though a complex of halls, caverns, and chambers in order to reach an artifact of great power or to vanquish a great evil.

Dungeon Crawls involve a stat system, and Permadeath. Characters live and die based on their actions, and a roll of chance.

The latter of which will be handled by me, your host :)

I will be pleased to review any race and/or class suggestions you and other players have.

Edit: Are you still interested?

Hmm... it'll be interesting, certainly like nothing I've experienced. Ill see if I can give it a try. And Imma suggest a race from my favorite planet, Saturn! (Or more correctly, one of its moons). More on that later.
Sorry moderators.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:04 pm

WHYYYY wrote:Hmm... it'll be interesting, certainly like nothing I've experienced. Ill see if I can give it a try. And Imma suggest a race from my favorite planet, Saturn! (Or more correctly, one of its moons). More on that later.

Alright :p hahaha
Tomorrow is made today.

WHYYYY
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby WHYYYY » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:05 pm

So it's basically DnD, but, you know, space?
Last edited by WHYYYY on Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry moderators.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:07 pm

WHYYYY wrote:So it's basically DnD, but, you know, space?

This is indeed a lot like the typical dungeon crawls conducted in a game of DnD.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Adunu
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Adunu » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:08 pm

I might try it, I haven't done a Dungeon Crawl RP yet...
Home is where you make it

The Central Shadow Nation
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Central Shadow Nation » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:10 pm

Harbertia wrote:
WHYYYY wrote:So it's basically DnD, but, you know, space?

This is indeed a lot like the typical dungeon crawls conducted in a game of DnD.

Better not die this time. Tactical Assault Gun.
"There's no point in feeling bad for the dead, but for the living who are still in pain."
"If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you are the sucker."

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:18 pm

Adunu wrote:I might try it, I haven't done a Dungeon Crawl RP yet...

Then it is a pleasure to host your first :)

The Central Shadow Nation wrote:
Harbertia wrote:This is indeed a lot like the typical dungeon crawls conducted in a game of DnD.

Better not die this time. Tactical Assault Gun.

hahhaha, AGREED :lol: Though I have revived the other one should you desire to continue in it as well.
Tomorrow is made today.

Turmenista
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Turmenista » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Tagging for a ranged class.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:40 pm

What are the abilities and weaknesses of each profession?
Orthodox Christian, Nationalist, Reactionary, Stoic

(2 Kings 2:23-25): you won't be dissappointed

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:54 pm

Turmenista wrote:Tagging for a ranged class.

I'll be sure to TG you when the Ranger class is fleshed out.
Republic of the Cristo wrote:What are the abilities and weaknesses of each profession?

Engineers - Engineers are proficient in handheld ranged weapons, and simple melee implements (improvised pipe or wrench tool along with small knives). Their strength falls in their ability to disable devices, and to construct barriers, and repair machinery. A support class, the Engineer does what the engineer can; including bringing to life the designs of a scientist.

Rangers - Rangers are proficient in long ranged weaponry, and hand weapons. Typically Rangers are patrolers, and scouts who keep safe the borders of their people. Some are called Marshals, others are a little less official in their law making. Examples of a Ranger might be the sheriff of a western like Human settlement on Mars, or the star faring law man who apprehends interplanetary gangsters or pirates. The Ranger has no proficiency in the area of melee weaponry.

Scientist - Scientist are the all around knowledgeable members of the crew, and count doctors and linguist among them. They are more likely to know the workings of an artifact, and have the ability to modify weapons, and tools used by others in the crew. In combat the Scientist is weak, though they can use gadgets to disrupt their foes; from sonic amplifiers to kinetic barriers.

Warrior - The Warrior is a melee fighter, often from the more primal side of the cultures of the solar system. These are your John Carters, your Swordsman, and your Centurions. They may use any melee weapon, but are not proficient in ranged weaponry.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:59 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Turmenista wrote:Tagging for a ranged class.

I'll be sure to TG you when the Ranger class is fleshed out.
Republic of the Cristo wrote:What are the abilities and weaknesses of each profession?

Engineers - Engineers are proficient in handheld ranged weapons, and simple melee implements (improvised pipe or wrench tool along with small knives). Their strength falls in their ability to disable devices, and to construct barriers, and repair machinery. A support class, the Engineer does what the engineer can; including bringing to life the designs of a scientist.

Rangers - Rangers are proficient in long ranged weaponry, and hand weapons. Typically Rangers are patrolers, and scouts who keep safe the borders of their people. Some are called Marshals, others are a little less official in their law making. Examples of a Ranger might be the sheriff of a western like Human settlement on Mars, or the star faring law man who apprehends interplanetary gangsters or pirates. The Ranger has no proficiency in the area of melee weaponry.

Scientist - Scientist are the all around knowledgeable members of the crew, and count doctors and linquiest among them. They are more likely to know the workings of an artifact, and have the ability to modify weapons, and tools used by others in the crew. In combat the Scientist is weak, though they can use gadgets to disrupt their foes; from sonic amplifiers to kinetic barriers.

Warrior - The Warrior is a melee fighter, often from the more primal side of the cultures of the solar system. These are your John Carters, your Swordsman, and your Centurions. They may use any melee weapon, but when trying to use any ranged weapons they will receive a penalty to accuracy, and have to take longer to reload such weapons.

As much as I loved John Conner books, I think I will have to be a Human scientist. When will you set up the apps? Also, how to we form crews? One final question, does any scientific contraption we create require me to explain how it works and why?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:10 pm

Republic of the Cristo wrote:As much as I loved John Conner books, I think I will have to be a Human scientist. When will you set up the apps? Also, how to we form crews? One final question, does any scientific contraption we create require me to explain how it works and why?

1- I hope to have the application ready soon as I can always add the class features, and racial ability latter for players to record in a notes section on their form for reference.

2- You may form crews in one of two ways; you may try to solo the complex with your own crew of up to five; or you may plan with other players. The latter is the preferred method. In this method one will create a character, and request over the OOC that your character and another player's character be a member of the same crew. Crews can join together during the crawl; and merge into parties. Crew ties will still be accounted for when a merger happens, and it'll be up to both crews how they should continue after the artifact is recovered.... For you see it's likely crews will differ on why they want the artifact, and thus conflict may come between them; as their is only one main artifact being sought, and unless the crews are working for a common agency.... :?

3 - You will not have to explain how it works in a realistic way. If asked your character should be able to explain it in a way that makes some sense with out getting too technical. For example, if your scientist designs an autonomous guard bot;

Ranger: "This is impressive Doctor, but how does it know who's friend, and whose foe?"

Doctor: "Very simple, this chip contains all Guardian needs to recognize my voice, and these;" the Doctor pulls out an assortment of badges from his pocket, "so long as we wear these Guardian will know us as those it is to protect."

Ranger: "What if we encounter another group, some locals?"

Doctor: "I'll simply command Guardian to stand down."
Last edited by Harbertia on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:14 pm

It is worth noting that anything a player designs does need to be approved by the host, my self, before being put to use. We don't need a device that breaks the game entering it.
Tomorrow is made today.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:14 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Republic of the Cristo wrote:As much as I loved John Conner books, I think I will have to be a Human scientist. When will you set up the apps? Also, how to we form crews? One final question, does any scientific contraption we create require me to explain how it works and why?

1- I hope to have the application ready soon as I can always add the class features, and racial ability latter for players to record in a notes section on their form for reference.

2- You may form crews in one of two ways; you may try to solo the complex with your own crew of up to five; or you may plan with other players. The latter is the preferred method. In this method one will create a character, and request over the OOC that your character and another player's character be a member of the same crew. Crews can join together during the crawl; and merge into parties. Crew ties will still be accounted for when a merger happens, and it'll be up to both crews how they should continue after the artifact is recovered.... For you see it's likely crews will differ on why they want the artifact, and thus conflict may come between them; as their is only one main artifact being sought, and unless the crews are working for a common agency.... :?

3 - You will not have to explain how it works in a realistic way. If asked your character should be able to explain it in a way that makes some sense with out getting too technical. For example, if your scientist designs an autonomous guard bot;

Ranger: "This is impressive Doctor, but how does it know who's friend, and whose foe?"

Doctor: "Very simple, this chip contains all Guardian needs to recognize my voice, and these;" the Doctor pulls out an assortment of badges from his pocket, "so long as we wear these Guardian will know us as those it is to protect."

Ranger: "What if we encounter another group, some locals?"

Doctor: "I'll simply command Guardian to stand down."

Sounds great. So, do we know what this artifact does?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:22 pm

Republic of the Cristo wrote:Sounds great. So, do we know what this artifact does?

I've just come up with what it shall be;

The Control Rod - An alien device capable of manipulating the weather, and seismic forces of what ever world it is on; a device with potential for great good, and the capacity to destroy. It can do something as simple as create light rain in the wielder's region, or a dramatic as to cause a powerful eruption. The device was sealed away by an ancient civilization, and it's location has only now been uncovered.

Usually I would wait for someone to reach the item before determining what it does, but I've decided that having it's power known is perhaps best.
Tomorrow is made today.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:26 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Republic of the Cristo wrote:Sounds great. So, do we know what this artifact does?

I've just come up with what it shall be;

The Control Rod - An alien device capable of manipulating the weather, and seismic forces of what ever world it is on; a device with potential for great good, and the capacity to destroy. It can do something as simple as create light rain in the wielder's region, or a dramatic as to cause a powerful eruption. The device was sealed away by an ancient civilization, and it's location has only now been uncovered.

Usually I would wait for someone to reach the item before determining what it does, but I've decided that having it's power known is perhaps best.

It shall not fall into the wrong hands! ... because my hands are always the right hands :twisted:

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:31 pm

Character Form is ready ! :lol:

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b] (Your character's name)
[b]Profession:[/b] (character's class)
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b] (Human, Red Martian, etc)
[b]World of Origin:[/b] (your homeworld)
[b]Biographical Summary:[/b] (a bit about your character from their past to personality and aspirations)

[b]Notes:[/b] (Class abilities, equipment, species attributes, and the character's own creations)
Last edited by Harbertia on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

UnStellar
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby UnStellar » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:35 am

Name:
Pending

Profession:
Scientist

Race:
Pending

World of Origin:
Pending

Biographical Summary:
(a bit about your character from their past to personality and aspirations)

Notes:
Class abilities, equipment, species attributes, and the character's own creations)
Last edited by UnStellar on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst . . ."

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:56 am

Name: She'arella'ck De Cla'ack (Shella)
Profession: ???
Race: Black Martian
World of Origin: Mars
Biographical Summary: She'arella'ck De Cla'ack is a culturally minded Black Martian intent on rebuilding the Martian Empire with herself as it's Queen. To accomplish this goal she seeks The Control Rod which will force all inhabitants of Mars to Bow before her Supremacy.

Though even with this aim She'arella'ck, who acknowledges the name Shella when it suits the situation, has good intentions- to a point. She isn't about to free the slaves or declare a democracy; no. She simply plans to return Mars to it's former glory though the subjugation of her people's foes.

Personality wise She'arella'ck is one of shifting moods who doesn't handle humiliation with any poise. Some would call her immature; others simply admit that she is largely unstable when all does not go as she plans. She often likes to imagine her self as she will be when the rod is in her possession; decked in gold and the finest of pastes; to her people, edible body art that shall adorn her.

For now, she wears a magenta colored desert robe and maroon haja; along with a golden bracelet, and a set of emerald earings.

Notes: Has a Crescent Blade, and Photon Pistol ready for use.

Race/Class Features
  • Dust is our Sustenance: Black Martians gain nourishment though their skin, and thus need not feed as most other races do.
  • Telepathy: Black Martians are Telepathic.
  • Poison Susceptibility: Due to the Black Martians means of gaining nourishment their bodies suffer more from poison and poison like effects. Gases being especially deadly to them.
Last edited by Harbertia on Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Turmenista
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Turmenista » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:58 am

I'll make a human Bounty hunter as a Ranger.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:52 am

Turmenista wrote:I'll make a human Bounty hunter as a Ranger.

An excellent choice.
Tomorrow is made today.

Republic of the Cristo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of the Cristo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:42 am

Name: (Your character's name) Dr. Franklin Rose
Profession: Scientist
Race: (Human, Red Martian, etc) Human
World of Origin: (your homeworld) Earth
Biographical Summary: (a bit about your character from their past to personality and aspirations)
Dr. Rose is a man of the 50's. He is tall, calm, confident, and possesses unflappable manners. He is was born on Earth, to a farming family in South Montana. Throughout high school he consistently ranked top of his class. After graduation, Franklin decided that he would enroll in the California institute of technology so that he may receive a degree in chemistry. After two years of his study however, WW3 broke out. Franklin was soon drafted into the army, were he became a private first class while in his service. After the war ( now being 26) he went back to school and finished his learning at the age of 30. He would marry his college girlfriend Samantha Tyler. After about five years of marriage, Franklin decided that his field of work was becoming to crowded on Earth. He was aware however of the need for experienced chemists on Mars. The idea of studying yet unknown chemical compounds that may be found on Mars was also quite alluring. He decided with Samantha to bring them and there Child ( Alex Rose) to Mars. There, Franklin would discover several new chemical compounds, and would be contracted by wealthy farm owners and local towns to work out chemical distribution. After about four years of this, Franklin was approached by an archeological team seeking some ancient prothean artifact and they needed a skilled chemist to accompany them. Franklin could not refuse.
Notes: (Class abilities, equipment, species attributes, and the character's own creations) When in the field, he carries his trusted plasma six shooter
. He also carries on him Cadium ( a rock compound that when compressed by a light force can create minor amounts of heat), a pocket Geiger counter, a three pound hammer, a pocket knife, a journal with pen, and 3oz of hydrochloric acid. He looks like this as well, suit and all
Last edited by Republic of the Cristo on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse