NATION

PASSWORD

All 250 of you: you're out of here! - Judge

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

All 250 of you: you're out of here! - Judge

Postby Galloism » Sat May 30, 2015 9:34 am

Sources:

Slate

Al-Jazeera

Only two sources I could find. I would copy and paste this information here, but my phone seems to disagree with the notion. If the first poster could copy the slate article into the second post I'd be much obliged.

Long story short: an astute defense attorney uncovered an unconstitutional scheme by the Orange County prosecutor's office to use the so-called "jailhouse confession" to continue interrogations after suspects had already obtained counsel. He had two clients being testified against by the same jailhouse informant. When the defense attorney subpeonaed information to prove it, the Orange County DAs office lied to the court and stated it didn't exist.

In fact: they maintained it in a databased organized for easy indexing.

In addition, the "jailhouse informants" they used had lied under oath on multiple occasions - a fact of which the DAs office was well aware. They put them on the stand knowing full well the informants were committing perjury. In addition, far from being random, suspects in high profile cases were placed deliberately with jailhouse informants who had provided convincing testimony in the past. The informants were compensated for a good confession - one of them has gotten over $150,000 from the DA's office.

Orange County has enjoyed a 10% higher conviction rate than the rest of California. They brag about it even. Now we know why.

The prosecutor's office now claims that these were all accidents, and they're doing "reform" with "better training" etc etc. I think it's all whitewash. This is because the prosecutor's office is now trying to retaliate against the judge: throwing him off case after case using court procedures.
Last edited by Galloism on Sat May 30, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat May 30, 2015 9:36 am

The incentives for prosecutors and ADAs are skewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLv3U0TiPfg
Last edited by Greed and Death on Sat May 30, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat May 30, 2015 9:41 am

greed and death wrote:The incentives for prosecutors and ADAs are skewed.

Indeed, they are graded on success, not justice. Such is the life of an adversarial system.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat May 30, 2015 9:53 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
greed and death wrote:The incentives for prosecutors and ADAs are skewed.

Indeed, they are graded on success, not justice. Such is the life of an adversarial system.

Prosecutors have their own set of ethics but they violate them often.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat May 30, 2015 9:55 am

greed and death wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Indeed, they are graded on success, not justice. Such is the life of an adversarial system.

Prosecutors have their own set of ethics but they violate them often.

Agreed, but they are incented on convictions, which rewards them to deliver convictions, not justice. They don't get paid more for sucesfully passing an internal audit as to whether they cheated or not.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sat May 30, 2015 10:11 am

Is it just me, or is America seemed to be obsessed with high convection rates?
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Narland
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Narland » Sat May 30, 2015 11:21 am

Zeinbrad wrote:Is it just me, or is America seemed to be obsessed with high convection rates?

Yes. Convicting peops of crime is big business. Counties recieve more money from the states for new convicts, states receive more federal money for each new convict. Private correctional institutions get paid for housing them. States trade their convicts to other states for compensation-- my step brother (an Idaho native) was shipped off to Oklahoma to serve a drunk driving sentence for instance, because it was cheaper to pay OK to house him than to build yet another prison. Peops lost in the criminal justice system are more and more treated like assets. We (America) now incarcerate more people per capita than the Soviet Union had in its gulags.

addenda: One of the side effects of the philosophy that it is better to have a system that errs on the side of caution (better that some guilty go free than one innocent person be sent to prison) is that some guilty people DO go free., and it drives some people to connive methods to make it easier to convict people. Prosecutors reputations are at stake when they do not have a high enough conviction rate.
Last edited by Narland on Sat May 30, 2015 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat May 30, 2015 11:23 am

Zeinbrad wrote:Is it just me, or is America seemed to be obsessed with high convection rates?

That's what elected prosecutors run on. This might be an example of too much democracy.
Last edited by Geilinor on Sat May 30, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat May 30, 2015 11:24 am

Ideally you don't bring someone to trial if you don't think you can get a conviction. The question here is the methodology of doing so. A fair trial is suppose to be ... fair.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Sat May 30, 2015 1:03 pm

Not nearly as much Japan. But they kind of fudge the numbers a bit anyway. I mean were talking over 90% if not mistaken. But of course they are also much slower to make arrests and probably let a few people slip through the cracks.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat May 30, 2015 1:15 pm

Considering it is the very foundation of a part of the U.S economy then yes unfortunately.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Sat May 30, 2015 1:51 pm

Benuty wrote:

Considering it is the very foundation of a part of the U.S economy then yes unfortunately.

Actually, I believe we generally try and arrange plea deals to avoid the expense of trial. But yeah, if you take it that far you are pretty screwed. I mean, prosecutor don't just pursue every case after all, they only take cases generally they have faith they can win. Of course this is the unfortunate downside of overzealous prosecutors willing to cheat and game the system.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat May 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
greed and death wrote:Prosecutors have their own set of ethics but they violate them often.

Agreed, but they are incented on convictions, which rewards them to deliver convictions, not justice. They don't get paid more for sucesfully passing an internal audit as to whether they cheated or not.

And that causes a problem, not one uncommon to adversarial systems: cheating.

However, when we identify a cheater in an adversarial system, if it's deliberate, they should be banned (or, in this context - disbarred). Hard line on those who deliberately violate the rules.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General