NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Endangered Language Preservation

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Humans Are People Too
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Endangered Language Preservation

Postby Humans Are People Too » Tue May 26, 2015 7:44 pm

Endangered Language Preservation

CATEGORY: Education and Creativity
AREA OF EFFECT: Cultural Heritage

The World Assembly,

Acknowledging the importance of language to the vast majority of nations,

Saddened that languages may become extinct,

Understanding that many minority languages may be in danger of extinction due to population decline, warfare, or the influence of primary other languages in a region,

Emphasising the importance of preserving languages so ancient cultures are not deposited into the undecipherable sands of the past,

1. Defines an endangered language as: a language that which is in immediate danger of dying out;

2. Establishes the Endangered Language Preservation Committee (ELPC), whose main goals are to:

1. create a list of endangered languages for each WA Member nation,

2. record characteristics of said languages, including phonetics, alphabets, dialects, and signs,

3. undertake research into the grammatical structure and syntactical nature of said languages,

4. archive literary works in said languages that which have had a significant impact on the native population's culture, politics, or the language itself, and,

5. promote programmes to encourage members and children of the native population to preserve their language as well, through education and native acquisition;
  3. Exempts from this resolution languages which the native population would not prefer interference in due to religious, cultural, or political reasons;

4. Requires all member nations to publicise ELPC research.

This is meant to fix the issues of an earlier, similar repealed resolution. So go, judge it and/or me.
Last edited by Humans Are People Too on Sat May 30, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Tue May 26, 2015 7:46 pm

"What repealed resolution? The problem with this:
EXEMPTING languages that the native population would prefer to lack interference, due to religious, cultural, or political reasons

is that I can just say I want my native language of Kaboomlandian to lack interference, and you can't do anything about it."

Kai Walters
Ambassador to the WA
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Humans Are People Too
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Humans Are People Too » Tue May 26, 2015 7:49 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:"What repealed resolution? The problem with this:
EXEMPTING languages that the native population would prefer to lack interference, due to religious, cultural, or political reasons

is that I can just say I want my native language of Kaboomlandian to lack interference, and you can't do anything about it."

Kai Walters
Ambassador to the WA

I'll add a link to it shortly.

My intentions are to go about this in a democratic fashion, with the population as a whole deciding on it.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue May 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Humans Are People Too wrote:
DRAFT 1
The World Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGING the cultural importance of language, across the vast majority of nations,

SADDENED that languages are becoming endangered very often,

UNDERSTANDING that many minority languages may be in danger of language death, due to population decline, warfare, or the influence of primary languages in a region,

EMPHASIZING the importance of preserving languages and their effects on a culture and/or nation,

DEFINING an endangered language as "a language that is in immediate danger of dying out due to population decline or the shifting to another language"

ESTABLISHING the Endangered Language Preservation Committee (ELPC), whose main goals are to

1. Create a list of endangered languages for each WA Member nation

2. Record characteristics of said languages, including phonetics, alphabets, dialects, and signs.

3. Archive literary works in the language that have had a significant impact on the native population's culture, politics or the language itself.

4. Promote movements to encourage members and children of the native population to preserve their language as well, through learning and actively speaking it.

EXEMPTING languages that the native population would prefer to lack interference, due to religious, cultural, or political reasons.

REQUIRING all member nations to keep data recorded by the ELPC public to their nation's population

First draft, and as all good proposals do, this will change dramatically over drafting. This is meant to fixed the issues of an earlier, similar repealed resolution. So go, judge it and/or me.

How about dem operative clauzes? (not the boys)
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue May 26, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Humans Are People Too
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Humans Are People Too » Tue May 26, 2015 7:57 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Humans Are People Too wrote:[spoiler=the thing i'm looking at]DRAFT 1

First draft, and as all good proposals do, this will change dramatically over drafting. This is meant to fixed the issues of an earlier, similar repealed resolution. So go, judge it and/or me.[/spoiler]

How about dem operative clauzes? (not the boys)

If you think any edits to this would do it well, feel free to suggest to your heart's desire.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue May 26, 2015 8:12 pm

'You only get 1 'write-the-resolution-for-you' card per life and 1 free copy-edit per proposal. Now... let's get back to that political furnace!'

The World Assembly,

Acknowledging the cultural importance of language, across to the vast majority of nations,

Saddened that languages are becoming endangered very often may become extinct,

Understanding that many minority languages may be in danger of language death, extinction due to population decline, warfare, or the influence of primary other languages in a region,

Emphasising the importance of preserving languages and their effects on a culture and/or nation so ancient cultures are not deposited into the undecipherable sands of the past,

1. Defines an endangered language as: a language that which is in immediate danger of dying out due to population decline or the shifting to another language";

2. Establishes the Endangered Language Preservation Committee (ELPC), whose main goals are to:

2. record characteristics of said languages, including phonetics, alphabets, dialects, and signs,

3. undertake research into the grammatical structure and syntactical nature of said languages,

4. archive literary works in the said languages that which have had a significant impact on the native population's culture, politics, or the language itself, and,

5. promote movements programmes to encourage members and children of the native population to preserve their language as well, through learning education and actively speaking it native acquisition;
  3. Exempts from this resolution languages that which the native population would not prefer to lack interference, interference in due to religious, cultural, or political reasons;

4. Requires all member nations to keep data recorded by the ELPC public to their nation's population publicise ELPC data.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue May 26, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Humans Are People Too
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Humans Are People Too » Tue May 26, 2015 8:26 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:'You only get 1 'write-the-resolution-for-you' card per life and 1 free copy-edit per proposal. Now... let's get back to that political furnace!'

The World Assembly,

Acknowledging the cultural importance of language, across to the vast majority of nations,

Saddened that languages are becoming endangered very often may become extinct,

Understanding that many minority languages may be in danger of language death, extinction due to population decline, warfare, or the influence of primary other languages in a region,

Emphasising the importance of preserving languages and their effects on a culture and/or nation so ancient cultures are not deposited into the undecipherable sands of the past,

1. Defines an endangered language as: a language that which is in immediate danger of dying out due to population decline or the shifting to another language";

4. archive literary works in the said languages that which have had a significant impact on the native population's culture, politics, or the language itself, and,

5. promote movements programmes to encourage members and children of the native population to preserve their language as well, through learning education and actively speaking it native acquisition;
  3. Exempts from this resolution languages that which the native population would not prefer to lack interference, interference in due to religious, cultural, or political reasons;

4. Requires all member nations to keep data recorded by the ELPC public to their nation's population publicise ELPC data.

[Cue cliché excuses on my poor, clunky rough draft, add "English is not my first language excuse]

Thanks for the very much needed edits. I'll use this as a second draft in the post since I agree with what you've changed plus the fact that the original wasn't looking to good. So thanks :D

Any comments on the proposed legislation?
Last edited by Humans Are People Too on Tue May 26, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue May 26, 2015 8:52 pm

You'll probably want this:

Code: Select all
[box][align=center]Endangered Language Preservation[/align]
[hr][/hr]
The World Assembly,

[i]Acknowledging[/i] the importance of language to the vast majority of nations,

[i]Saddened[/i] that languages may become extinct,

[i]Understanding[/i] that many minority languages may be in danger of extinction due to population decline, warfare, or the influence of primary other languages in a region,

[i]Emphasising[/i] the importance of preserving languages so ancient cultures are not deposited into the undecipherable sands of the past,

[list=1][*][i]Defines[/i] an endangered language as: a language which is in immediate danger of dying out;

[*][i]Establishes[/i] the Language Preservation Committee (LPC) to:

[list=a][*]create a list of endangered languages for each WA Member nation,

[*]record characteristics of said languages, including phonetics, alphabets, dialects, and signs,

[*]undertake research into the grammatical structure and syntactical nature of said languages,

[*]archive literary works in said languages which have a significant impact on the native population's culture, politics, or the language itself, and,

[*]promote programmes to encourage members and children of the native population to preserve their language through education and native acquisition;[/list]

[*][i]Exempts[/i] from this resolution languages which the native population would not prefer interference in due to religious, cultural, or political reasons;

[*][i]Requires[/i] all member nations to publicise LPC data.[/list][/box]
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Tue May 26, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Humans Are People Too
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Humans Are People Too » Tue May 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:You'll probably want this:

[hr][/hr]
The World Assembly,

[i]Acknowledging[/i] the importance of language to the vast majority of nations,

[i]Understanding[/i] that many minority languages may be in danger of extinction due to population decline, warfare, or the influence of primary other languages in a region,

[i]Emphasising[/i] the importance of preserving languages  so ancient cultures are not deposited into the undecipherable sands of the past,

[list=1][*][i]Defines[/i] an endangered language as: a language that which is in immediate danger of dying out;

[*][i]Establishes[/i] the Endangered Language Preservation Committee (ELPC), whose main goals are to:

[*]record characteristics of said languages, including phonetics, alphabets, dialects, and signs,

[*]undertake research into the grammatical structure and syntactical nature of said languages,

[*]archive literary works in said languages that which have had a significant impact on the native population's culture, politics, or the language itself, and,

[*]promote programmes to encourage members and children of the native population to preserve their language as well, through education and native acquisition;[/list]

[*][i]Exempts[/i] from this resolution languages which the native population would not preference interference in due to religious, cultural, or political reasons;

[*][i]Requires[/i] all member nations to publicise ELPC data.[/list][/box]

Yeah, I'm on mobile ATM so I was saving the formatting for when I get to a PC but this'll prolly work too

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue May 26, 2015 8:54 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:You'll probably want this:

[hr][/hr]
The World Assembly,

[i]Emphasising[/i] the importance of preserving languages  so ancient cultures are not deposited into the undecipherable sands of the past,

[list=1][*][i]Defines[/i] an endangered language as: a language that which is in immediate danger of dying out;

[*][i]Establishes[/i] the Endangered Language Preservation Committee (ELPC), whose main goals are to:

[*]archive literary works in said languages that which have had a significant impact on the native population's culture, politics, or the language itself, and,

[*]promote programmes to encourage members and children of the native population to preserve their language as well, through education and native acquisition;[/list]

[*][i]Exempts[/i] from this resolution languages which the native population would not preference interference in due to religious, cultural, or political reasons;

[*][i]Requires[/i] all member nations to publicise ELPC data.[/list][/box]

Yeah, I'm on mobile ATM so I was saving the formatting for when I get to a PC but this'll prolly work too

I edited the base-code for that right after you quoted it. Best of luck with the proposal.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Humans Are People Too
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Humans Are People Too » Wed May 27, 2015 9:27 am

Bumping this.

Humans Are People Too
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Humans Are People Too » Wed May 27, 2015 3:55 pm

Bump again. I'm pretty confident in it in its current state but I don't wanna jump at it without hearing other opinions

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed May 27, 2015 6:44 pm

OOC: Constant bumping isn't going to suddenly make everyone show up to give advice. One of the cliches around here (which happens to be true) is that writing a resolution is a marathon, not a sprint. If it falls off the first page of the GA forum, or if you make changes to the draft, go ahead and bump. Otherwise, best leave it. Many people who can give good advice aren't constantly logged in, so it's best to wait a couple of days after a change to let them find it on their own time.

IC: Is there a reason why the Universal Library Coalition (ULC) couldn't handle the duties you're assigning to the new ELPC? Many nations are more likely to support using an existing committee if its original mandate is close enough to what you're trying to do; and I think the ULC fits that bill.

Also, we're unclear what you mean by the phrase "languages which the native population would not preference interference in."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Thu May 28, 2015 1:50 am

Not bad. A central repository of endangered languages is certainly an interesting one. I do not fully understand the point of your exemption clause however - what's the thinking behind it?
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Indo-Malaysian Puppet
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysian Puppet » Thu May 28, 2015 2:30 am

This is very good.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu May 28, 2015 2:34 am

Caracasus wrote:Not bad. A central repository of endangered languages is certainly an interesting one. I do not fully understand the point of your exemption clause however - what's the thinking behind it?

Some cultures have not only the languages that their members use for 'public' actions such as [e.g.] speaking with outsiders but also 'private' languages, perhaps ones used primarily for rituals, which they may wish to keep private: In some cases restricting knowledge of a language to members of a specific religion (or even to members of a specific cult within a larger religion) might actually be a part of that faith's rules.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu May 28, 2015 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Perotasoa
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Perotasoa » Thu May 28, 2015 2:37 am

I like this. Maybe add something to the effect of "according to these measures, it will be compulsory for a nation that has a minor language spoken by an ethnic minority of at least 5% of the population to make the language an official language."
This has to be the greatest political phrase ever uttered in the history of human civilization:
"It's the economy, stupid"

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Thu May 28, 2015 2:44 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Caracasus wrote:Not bad. A central repository of endangered languages is certainly an interesting one. I do not fully understand the point of your exemption clause however - what's the thinking behind it?

Some cultures have not only the languages that their members use for 'public' actions such as [e.g.] speaking with outsiders but also 'private' languages, perhaps ones used primarily for rituals, which they may wish to keep private: In some cases restricting knowledge of a language to members of a specific religion (or even to members of a specific cult within a larger religion) might actually be a part of that faith's rules.

Okay - that makes a lot of sense.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Perotasoa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Perotasoa » Thu May 28, 2015 3:01 am

Bears Armed wrote:

Isn't that against freedom of speech? If intellectuals want to preserve a language for its historical value for academics, then surely they can do this even against the will of its speakers?
This has to be the greatest political phrase ever uttered in the history of human civilization:

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Thu May 28, 2015 3:12 am

Perotasoa wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Some cultures have not only the languages that their members use for 'public' actions such as [e.g.] speaking with outsiders but also 'private' languages, perhaps ones used primarily for rituals, which they may wish to keep private: In some cases restricting knowledge of a language to members of a specific religion (or even to members of a specific cult within a larger religion) might actually be a part of that faith's rules.

Isn't that against freedom of speech? If intellectuals want to preserve a language for its historical value for academics, then surely they can do this even against the will of its speakers?

How would this be against freedom of speech?

Perotasoa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Perotasoa » Thu May 28, 2015 3:16 am

Caracasus wrote:
Perotasoa wrote:

Oh I see now. We won't make it compulsory for language preservation in the case where its speakers do not want this. But surely this must be overridden by the value of languages for academics. Also, the native population may be ambiguous: is it the population that speaks language X of nation Y or all the population internationally that speak language X who decide if it should be included in the list?

Humans Are People Too
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Humans Are People Too » Thu May 28, 2015 3:24 am

Perotasoa wrote:
Caracasus wrote:

Oh I see now. We won't make it compulsory for language preservation in the case where its speakers do not want this. But surely this must be overridden by the value of languages for academics. Also, the native population may be ambiguous: is it the population that speaks language X of nation Y or all the population internationally that speak language X who decide if it should be included in the list?

Would it be more appropriate to make it where the natives can choose to not assist the scholars when studying said languages? That way if studying is done, it wouldn't be against the will of the natives.

Perotasoa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Perotasoa » Thu May 28, 2015 3:28 am

Perotasoa wrote:

Would it be more appropriate to make it where the natives can choose to not assist the scholars when studying said languages? That way if studying is done, it wouldn't be against the will of the natives.

Yes that would work. Individuals and maybe small communities will have the right to not assist the language preservation. But I think this obligation should be placed at provincial level - in the area where the language is spoken. Otherwise it may be hard to execute this plan from the ELPC's perspective.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Thu May 28, 2015 4:03 am

Perotasoa wrote:

So perhaps a clause that where the potential endangered language is spoken by a group with some degree of autonomy (a religious organisation perhaps, or a tribe) the group in question would have control over research and recording of their language?

Perotasoa
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Perotasoa » Thu May 28, 2015 4:12 am

Caracasus wrote:

So perhaps a clause that where the potential endangered language is spoken by a group with some degree of autonomy (a religious organisation perhaps, or a tribe) the group in question would have control over research and recording of their language?

Yes that sound good - the obligation should fall on the political organisation closest in size to the community that speaks the language. So, e.g. if there is a language Xish and the people of X have an autonomous/devolved government, then the obligation will go on them. If there is no devolution, it should fall on the government of the state that X is in.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly