NATION

PASSWORD

Bad Moon Rising | Interest / OoC

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Olthenia
Senator

Founded: Oct 03, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Bad Moon Rising | Interest / OoC

Postby Olthenia » Sat May 23, 2015 6:37 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm a history nerd, and the era known as the Gilded Age is a particular love of mine. I also enjoy science fiction, and I'm fascinated by alternate history. Add all these things together, and what you get is the below summary: A Gilded Age-conflict between Victorian-era Great Powers struggling to assert their dominance on the surface of Earth's closest celestial satellite; the moon. That's what this thread is about. Hammering out an RP for, well; this~

"How about a Game of Thrones-themed RP set on the moon? Where, instead of noble families, the belligerents are colonies from a steampunk flavored Europe that carved the moon between them in the 1870's? Things appear civil on the surface, right until contact with Earth is inexplicably cut off by a mysterious solar flare. Then the gloves come off and the knives come out. Before you know it, you have steampunk flavored trench warfare. With clockwork automatons and Lunar Anarchists! On the moon! How amazing would that be?"

If this sounds like something you'd like to get in on - even if it's just to ask a question, post an application template or describe the French Lunar Navy's most popular handgun design - post below to your heart's content.

The moon won't rise without us.
Last edited by Olthenia on Sat May 23, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terminus Alpha
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Terminus Alpha » Sat May 23, 2015 7:55 pm

I am ready to found the Lunar Commune.
Because the moon is the perfect place to start the end of the class struggle.
RP Interests: Alt-Hist, Space, 20th Century onward.
In the process of becoming a History teacher.
Center-Left-Libertarian | "Dirty filthy hippie"
Agnostic Atheist
Democrat
LGBT+

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Sat May 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Terminus Alpha wrote:I am ready to found the Lunar Commune.
Because the moon is the perfect place to start the end of the class struggle.

Isn't it just?

We're probably going to need an application template.

Code: Select all
[b]Colony Name[/b] (Your colony's official name):

[b]Capital[/b] (Every colony has one.):

[b]Population[/b] (How many souls calls your colony home?):

[b]Leader[/b] (Who, or what, runs the show?):

[b]Garrison[/b] (How many men and women in uniform can you muster?):

[b]History[/b] (Self-explanatory. Write at least two paragraphs.):

Prusslandia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusslandia » Sat May 23, 2015 8:22 pm

You'll be needing a proper group of gentlemen, I presume. Some sort of Lunar elite/nobility.
Add 7000 to 8000 posts to my post count.
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
I’m back owo

Aidannadia
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aidannadia » Sat May 23, 2015 8:26 pm

Couple questions to drive discussion:

What droves European nations to head to the moon? Just nationalism? Is there some wealth of resources that would attract them to the moon that would drive mercantilist-esque policy?

How are settlements arranged? Are they in some kind of bubble with airlocks or have we terraformed the moon somehow or has the moon always been habitable?
Hey, my name is Aidan and I am still figuring out who I really am. Most of my views are some form of leftism someone could probably tell me is not leftism. I'm a guy.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Sat May 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Prusslandia wrote:You'll be needing a proper group of gentlemen, I presume. Some sort of Lunar elite/nobility.

Lunar nobility? I like that.

In the initial stages of lunar colonization, several Old World governments - Great Britain in particular - had significant trouble attracting private interest to their colonial ventures. The moon was, after all, very far away; and development of the moon's surface would have to be done from scratch. A daunting task for even the most hardy pioneers. To this end, the British parliament passed the Lunar Land Act in 1887. This piece of legislation was designed to attract wealthy investors as settlers to extra-orbital possessions by granting titles of land and nobility to anyone prepared to purchase a substantial amount of so-called 'Lunar Bonds'. Essentially, wealthy private subjects could now buy their way into a rapidly forming class of lunar nobility. Oil barons and shipping magnates on Earth could become counts and baronets in the British Lunar Colonies.

Just a thought, really.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Sat May 23, 2015 8:58 pm

Aidannadia wrote:Couple questions to drive discussion:

What droves European nations to head to the moon? Just nationalism? Is there some wealth of resources that would attract them to the moon that would drive mercantilist-esque policy?

How are settlements arranged? Are they in some kind of bubble with airlocks or have we terraformed the moon somehow or has the moon always been habitable?

Good questions, Aidannadia.

I think the moon should definitely hold something to fight over. Whether that 'something' is a mineral thus far unknown to modern science or merely tracts of terraformed farmland is up to debate. I like the idea of both, personally - but that's just how I roll.

As for how settlements are arranged; well, that is a key question. If we assume that the moon, unlike our familiar version of it, actually formed and retained it's own oxygen-based atmosphere I suppose it could've been terraformed in the decades following Europe's first successful attempt at escaping Earth's gravity. That would make movement easier to explain and accomodate. On the other hand, steampunk colony bubbles with gilded airlocks and brass valves studded with sepia-tinted viewports are cool beyond all argument.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Sun May 24, 2015 2:18 am

Just checking in.
Still would like to be a German North.

Also, I regarding Aidannadia's questions...
If we do also have tracts of terraformed farmland be something to fight over, I can't see how all of the moon couldn't have been terraformed, making bubbled cities ridiculous. And as said, such cities are quite nice.
Returned Nationstater -- You can leave Nationstates but Nationstates won't leave you.
Call me Jon, John, or Johnny, Jonathan or Jonnyboy, tJS and Jonathanian, with "states" or without.
This nation doesn't really represent my views and sarcasm is awesome.

Olthenia
Senator

Postby Olthenia » Sun May 24, 2015 7:22 am

True enough, Jonathanian. If the entire moon was terraformed then bubble colonies would indeed be obsolete. What if we decided that terraforming the entire moon just wasn't possible, though? At least not yet. The Great Powers would have to settle for just making 'bubbles' instead; a valley here, a river delta there. Prime land to fight over.

Terminus Alpha
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Terminus Alpha » Sun May 24, 2015 7:31 am

Olthenia wrote:True enough, Jonathanian. If the entire moon was terraformed then bubble colonies would indeed be obsolete. What if we decided that terraforming the entire moon just wasn't possible, though? At least not yet. The Great Powers would have to settle for just making 'bubbles' instead; a valley here, a river delta there. Prime land to fight over.

Sounds good, but the non-terraformed areas should still be important. Mining perhaps?
Agnostic Atheist
Democrat
LGBT+

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Sun May 24, 2015 7:46 am

Terminus Alpha wrote:
Olthenia wrote:True enough, Jonathanian. If the entire moon was terraformed then bubble colonies would indeed be obsolete. What if we decided that terraforming the entire moon just wasn't possible, though? At least not yet. The Great Powers would have to settle for just making 'bubbles' instead; a valley here, a river delta there. Prime land to fight over.

Sounds good, but the non-terraformed areas should still be important. Mining perhaps?

I second.

True enough. But then I believe that such bubbles would have to always, or at least usually, be quite proximate to Urban bubbles (controlled by the same power).

This also raises the question of destroying/attacking bubbles. Would shooting an inhabited bubble be accepted as a legitimate military strategy? Would it even be possible?
Returned Nationstater -- You can leave Nationstates but Nationstates won't leave you.
Call me Jon, John, or Johnny, Jonathan or Jonnyboy, tJS and Jonathanian, with "states" or without.

Aldelxane
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aldelxane » Sun May 24, 2015 10:18 am

This looks fun...
I'm not sure what kind of a colony I'd like to RP, but I'll try to help with the world-building.

Aldelxane
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aldelxane » Sun May 24, 2015 10:21 am

The Jonathanian States wrote:
Terminus Alpha wrote:Sounds good, but the non-terraformed areas should still be important. Mining perhaps?

I second.

True enough. But then I believe that such bubbles would have to always, or at least usually, be quite proximate to Urban bubbles (controlled by the same power).

This also raises the question of destroying/attacking bubbles. Would shooting an inhabited bubble be accepted as a legitimate military strategy? Would it even be possible?

Bubbles would probably be very vulnerable to attack if they were possible, since they'd need to be made of some sort of transparent material to let sunlight in for photosynthesis, meaning that it'd have to be glass or plastic (neither of which are very resilient when hit with projectiles).

Greater Soviet Ukraine
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Soviet Ukraine » Sun May 24, 2015 10:23 am

Aldelxane wrote:
The Jonathanian States wrote:I second.

Bubbles would probably be very vulnerable to attack if they were possible, since they'd need to be made of some sort of transparent material to let sunlight in for photosynthesis, meaning that it'd have to be glass or plastic (neither of which are very resilient when hit with projectiles).

Couldn't we just make the bubbles have steel plating and only have the top area transparent.

*Insert moon-base alpha image, circa 1870*

Aldelxane
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aldelxane » Sun May 24, 2015 10:25 am

Greater Soviet Ukraine wrote:
Aldelxane wrote:Bubbles would probably be very vulnerable to attack if they were possible, since they'd need to be made of some sort of transparent material to let sunlight in for photosynthesis, meaning that it'd have to be glass or plastic (neither of which are very resilient when hit with projectiles).

Couldn't we just make the bubbles have steel plating and only have the top area transparent.

Then people would just bomb the top area.

Greater Soviet Ukraine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Soviet Ukraine » Sun May 24, 2015 10:28 am

Aldelxane wrote:

Then people would just bomb the top area.

A) How would you get a plane on the moon without wasting a shitload of fuel flying it around?

B) AA guns, if you manage to get planes on the moon, would take care of it. Pilots need windows to see.
Last edited by Greater Soviet Ukraine on Sun May 24, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aldelxane
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aldelxane » Sun May 24, 2015 10:30 am

Aldelxane wrote:Then people would just bomb the top area.

A) How would you get a plane on the moon without wasting a shitload of fuel flying it around?

B) AA guns, if you manage to get planes on the moon, would take care of it. Pilots need windows to see.

If you couldn't get some kind of a flying machine onto the moon, you couldn't get onto the moon in the first place.
Anyhow, anti-aircraft guns could be a solution.

Greater Soviet Ukraine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Soviet Ukraine » Sun May 24, 2015 10:32 am

Aldelxane wrote:

If you couldn't get some kind of a flying machine onto the moon, you couldn't get onto the moon in the first place.

Yeah, but traditional planes need air. We could have low orbit bombers, but then again....

Or we could have a moon hopper, which takes long jumps across the surface.

Aldelxane
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aldelxane » Sun May 24, 2015 10:34 am

Aldelxane wrote:If you couldn't get some kind of a flying machine onto the moon, you couldn't get onto the moon in the first place.

Yeah, but traditional planes need air. We could have low orbit bombers, but then again....

I'm sure moon colonists would figure out some way to kill each other from above the surface. Given the moon's low gravity, some sort of hopper might end up being the best solution. Perhaps some sort of moon-hopper cavalry with weapons mounted on it?
Last edited by Aldelxane on Sun May 24, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Jonathanian States
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Jonathanian States » Sun May 24, 2015 10:35 am

OP did talk about Steam-punkish tech, so unconventional vehicles should not necessarily be excluded.

Greater Soviet Ukraine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Soviet Ukraine » Sun May 24, 2015 10:36 am

Aldelxane wrote:
Greater Soviet Ukraine wrote:Yeah, but traditional planes need air. We could have low orbit bombers, but then again....

I'm sure moon colonists would figure out some way to kill each other from above the surface. Given the moon's low gravity, some sort of hopper might be the best solution. Perhaps some sort of moon-hopper cavalry with weapons mounted on it?

Yeah, if you watched the Apollo landings, the astronauts had to hop for lack of traction. If the colonists notice that, then they could build off of that idea and have Hopper Calvary and such.

Aldelxane
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aldelxane » Sun May 24, 2015 10:41 am

The Jonathanian States wrote:OP did talk about Steam-punkish tech, so unconventional vehicles should not necessarily be excluded.

I wouldn't have agreed with the idea of giant metal battle frogs if I was excluding unconventional vehicles. :P

Terminus Alpha
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Terminus Alpha » Sun May 24, 2015 10:49 am

Aldelxane wrote:If you couldn't get some kind of a flying machine onto the moon, you couldn't get onto the moon in the first place.

WE'VE GOT LOTS OF AMMO.

Also.
Agnostic Atheist
Democrat
LGBT+

Greater Soviet Ukraine
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Soviet Ukraine » Sun May 24, 2015 10:52 am

British Metal Frog Company, dismissed! Now, on to another thing: how do the colonists establish a link with Earth? Messengers? Some primitive form of radio?

Terminus Alpha
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Terminus Alpha » Sun May 24, 2015 10:56 am

Greater Soviet Ukraine wrote:British Metal Frog Company, dismissed! Now, on to another thing: how do the colonists establish a link with Earth? Messengers? Some primitive form of radio?

Radio seems to be the only option. Messengers would take too long and you can't send a telegraph wire up there.
Agnostic Atheist
Democrat
LGBT+

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse